31585 replies to this topic

#30001 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:23 AM

For sure it's not 50% of their revenue :). The anime segment according to the report contribute ~8-10% overall TV Tokyo Earnings. So, most likely Naruto franchise contributes about 3-5%. It's a wild guess since there's no public number about Naruto earnings.

Hinata/NH popular outside of Japan is also a myth. We would have Boruto sales at the top of the chart, New movies every year will still be ongoing, New games every other year will be there, merchandise, DLC featuring Hinata/NH.

That's never happened. It's a baseless claim without actual weight.

Naruto manga sales in Japan account for more than 90% of the manga revenue. The remaining of 10% is all other countries in the world combined.

It's recognized in the West, sure. But it doesn't necessarily commercially significant.

True, but if people ask on this site again why did they do what they did to Naruto? Saying it was half their earning for over a decade will hopefully stick in their heads' easier.

It was popular with pirates. Which is even worse since they were vocal enough to come off as a paying audience while refusing to actually pay for anything. Corrupting attempts to gain data from social media. 

I will disagree about the commercial significances of the West. The reason for what happened was that Naruto was their big international seller. It doesn't matter if it was only 10%, that was more then any other anime/manga they had was bringing in internationally. They wanted something in that market and Naruto was the biggest they had at the time. Also, if you argue about the poor logic of abandoning a larger customer fanbase for a phantom audience that's been happening in the West for years now. Going Woke, the youth call it. Hasn't work in the West and hasn't worked in Japan but they keep doing it. Because, they assume their current customers will put up with it while they chase their new target audience, even if they destroy everything appealing about their product to the old customers.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 17 December 2021 - 12:00 AM.

#30002 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 09:34 AM

True, but if people ask on this site again why did they do what they did to Naruto? Saying it was half their earning for over a decade will hopefully stick in their heads' easier.

It was popular with pirates. Which is even worse since they were vocal enough to come off as a paying audience while refusing to actually pay for anything. Corrupting attempts to gain data from social media. 

I will disagree about the commercial significances of the West. The reason for what happened was that Naruto was their big international seller. It doesn't matter if it was only 10%, that was more then any other anime/manga they had was bringing in internationally. They wanted something in that market and Naruto was the biggest they had at the time. Also, if you argue about the poor logic of abandoning a larger customer fanbase for a phantom audience that's been happening in the West for years now. Going Woke, the youth call it. Hasn't work in the West and hasn't worked in Japan but they keep doing it. Because, they assume their current customers will put up with it while they chase their new target audience, even if they destroy everything appealing about their product to the old customers.

And in the long run too, it's ironic how many of those pirates also were NH and SS fans who didn't give a damn about the series as a whole compared to the rest of us for sure. But the problem too is trying to burn the remaining fan base jsut for a phantom base who doesn't care either way.

#30003 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:00 AM

https://www.reddit.c...ta_2022_thread/

So, JumpFesta happened and Boruto had a panel to lazy to watch but from what the comments say the announcements were only.

Bandai-Namco: For Shinobi striker they are finally adding in the fourth character of their fourth season pass, and that mobile game is adding karma form bolt & nail.

That Sasuke light novel is going to be manga adaptation. Didn't it get adapted in the anime already? Or, is this the one about Naruto coming down with the flu so Sakura and Sasuke have to go on a mission?...*More looking* ah, the second one. Well, this well give us more data how 'popular' that pairing is. Apparently, they also may be adapting some of the other Post-Ending Naruto light novels into manga. Oh the other one receiving a manga adaption was already made filler in the anime. It was the Asuma's daughter guards Gai and Kakashi on their hot spring vacation. Also, these will be at the end of next year.

Celebrating 20 years of Naruto.

And going through the reddit apparently Nail may get a new eye power.

There was no interview with either Ikemoto or Kishimoto.

Apparently, it was very underwhelming. #1 in Japan-No. #1 In the WORLD guys.

My impression is Bandai is just doing the bare minimum and wrapping up thing they were already working on (seriously not even an announcement of a fifth season pass apparently,) Tv-Tokyo as Namaenash showed can't afford to do anything else like a movie, and Shueisha is seeing if there is any profits to be made from this IP through something other then just the Boruto manga; also, likely trying to give some of their writers and artists some work.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 18 December 2021 - 07:22 AM.

#30004 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 08:18 AM

So, JumpFesta happened and Boruto had a panel to lazy to watch but from what the comments say the announcements were only.

Bandai-Namco: For Shinobi striker they are finally adding in the fourth character of their fourth season pass, and that mobile game is adding karma form bolt & nail.

That Sasuke light novel is going to be manga adaptation. Didn't it get adapted in the anime already? Or, is this the one about Naruto coming down with the flu so Sakura and Sasuke have to go on a mission?...*More looking* ah, the second one. Well, this well give us more data how 'popular' that pairing is. Apparently, they also may be adapting some of the other Post-Ending Naruto light novels into manga. Oh the other one receiving a manga adaption was already made filler in the anime. It was the Asuma's daughter guards Gai and Kakashi on their hot spring vacation. Also, these will be at the end of next year.

My impression is Bandai is just doing the bare minimum and wrapping up thing they were already working on (seriously not even an announcement of a fifth season pass apparently,) Tv-Tokyo as Namaenash showed can't afford to do anything else like a movie, and Shueisha is seeing if there is any profits to be made from this IP through something other then just the Boruto manga; also, likely trying to give some of their writers and artists some work.

Not really like whatever they're selling is gonna mean jack to us. We checked out LONG AGO.

#30005 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:39 AM

Not really like whatever they're selling is gonna mean jack to us. We checked out LONG AGO.

There were questions on how Boruto was doing. That shows how little is going on. JumpFesta is where Shueisha celebrates and advertises their manga IP. Any announcements of video games, movies, anime adaptations, and much more all are expected to happen here. Hell, its normal for there to be a live panel with the mangaka.

Here? No interview, and the only real announcement were some spin off manga of light novels that were (or at least one) already adapted into anime episodes.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 18 December 2021 - 10:06 PM.

#30006 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 01:23 PM

Pretty obvious Naruto franchise will get nothing. Nobody is buying. WSJ wouldn't spend a dime to invest on it. If games addons / skins and Sasuke Retsuden light novel are the only thing worth announcing in the biggest WSJ event, you know for sure Naruto franchise is as good as (almost) dead.

Sasuke Retsuden (the latest light novel) only sold 7k copies in the first week. It has sold a total of 16k before it dropped out of the tracking radar. For an apple to apple comparison, Sakura light novel released a couple of years ago sold about ~140k.

TL;DR: Naruto franchise decided that a product that only sold 16k to be one of the items announced at the biggest WSJ event.

Let that sink.

Edited by Namaenash, 18 December 2021 - 01:33 PM.

http://namaenasuyou.tumblr.com/     ||     https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6308104/

"I'm sorry I didn't believe. But I'd given up believing in so much, until I met you. From the first day I saw you, you were everything I ever wanted to believe in. You can do this, Diana. I know you can...But I have to go."

"What? What are you saying?"

"It's okay, this is what I came here to do. I can save today, but you... you can save the world."

#30007 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:28 PM

Pretty obvious Naruto franchise will get nothing. Nobody is buying. WSJ wouldn't spend a dime to invest on it. If games addons / skins and Sasuke Retsuden light novel are the only thing worth announcing in the biggest WSJ event, you know for sure Naruto franchise is as good as (almost) dead.

Sasuke Retsuden (the latest light novel) only sold 7k copies in the first week. It has sold a total of 16k before it dropped out of the tracking radar. For an apple to apple comparison, Sakura light novel released a couple of years ago sold about ~140k.

TL;DR: Naruto franchise decided that a product that only sold 16k to be one of the items announced at the biggest WSJ event.

Let that sink.

I think they are doing to literally see if making a manga adaption of it will improve the numbers while knowing an estimated number it will at least hopefully make, and to give some of their artist on staff a project in-between there own manga.

Funny enough Bleach the series who anime was cancelled and replace with a Naruto gag-chibi spinoff is getting its final arc adapted.

And Kishimoto drew a poster to celebrate twenty years of Bleach:

https://www.reddit.c...ing_but_boruto/

ui32z52xwa681.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 18 December 2021 - 10:34 PM.

#30008 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 12:30 AM

Honestly, this whole conversation has been feeding my growing appreciation for MGS4. I saw an analysis video recently, due to a friend getting into the franchise and asking why I never beat 4, so I decided to check out some analysis and then give it a second chance.

While I've been familiar with the passive aggressive nature of the game towards MGS fans for a long time now, the video argued some pretty potent points. It wasn't just Kojima angrily giving fans what they said they wanted, as that's what Snake Eater was all about. How it was an apology to fans who didn't like MGS2, but at the same time it was telling them with it's ending they weren't the hero because they were ignoring the messages of MGS1 and 2 about living their own lives and not projecting onto the game. MGS4 was about the bastardization the franchise would undergo if it were to keep on continuing, accelerating Snake's aging to give the idea that it's not 4 but something like MGS 8 or something. This would allow Kojima to give the franchise a definitive final message, much like Tomino did with Turn A Gundam, while also showing fans what they said they wanted wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

If you want answers to the mysteries, you're going to make the setting more mundane. Everything being nano-machines is part of this.

If you want things to get bigger and more action packed, normal soldiers aren't going to be a thing anymore. See the Gekkos and other enemies who mop the floor with regular soldiers. Not to mention, rejecting peace to keep plunging the world into warfare (the post-Guns of the Patriots games all seem to go more into this direction).

If you want something like COD, then it's not going to be very Metal Gear now is it? Not to mention, real soldiers don't act like they're in an online COD match with infinite respawns and not suffering PTSD.

If you want the characters to have more adventures, then it's going to do a number on the lessons they have learned, Or you they could end up being unrecognizable or contradicting who they were before.

The game was built for stuff like that, acting as a grand finale for a franchise that was supposed to end two games ago. It was a warning of what not just Metal Gear could become, but any franchise. I mean, Fukui is taking the mystery out of UC Gundam with his stories, Terminator has been rendered meaningless due to Dark Fate killing John Connor, Luke Skywalker has been turned into a failure to prop up new leads... we could easily make a list of franchises that have fallen into the same traps Kojima warned us about. At least MGS learned that switching protagonists had to be done with care (see Raiden was meant to show us how awesome Solid Snake was, and Big Boss is meant to serve as a foil).

Naruto would be among them, full stop. I mean, I think about stuff like the Zabuza fight and how that was the high level the characters would work towards, but with how DBZ later fights got. We have messages and characters being assassinated or flanderized. Things got convoluted as all hell due to the series explaining some mysteries with stuff that came out of nowhere. The idea that the ninja system needs to be continued and Naruto's role in it. The story extended past where it should have ended so people could continue profiting off of it. The fact that Naruto failed to change the world like he was supposed to, as the series became soulless.

Naruto should have been allowed to die with dignity, instead they have to keep it on life-support to protect themselves. I'd say it was a damn shame if Kishi had ever really put himself into the writing instead of bowing to editors.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#30009 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 03:11 AM

Naruto would be among them, full stop. I mean, I think about stuff like the Zabuza fight and how that was the high level the characters would work towards, but with how DBZ later fights got. We have messages and characters being assassinated or flanderized. Things got convoluted as all hell due to the series explaining some mysteries with stuff that came out of nowhere. The idea that the ninja system needs to be continued and Naruto's role in it. The story extended past where it should have ended so people could continue profiting off of it. The fact that Naruto failed to change the world like he was supposed to, as the series became soulless.

Naruto should have been allowed to die with dignity, instead they have to keep it on life-support to protect themselves. I'd say it was a damn shame if Kishi had ever really put himself into the writing instead of bowing to editors.

I sadly must disagree. Naruto was never about ending the ninja system, but rejecting the corrupt parts like being considered a weapon or the clan seal and reforming it.

The problem with modern sequel is they don't continue the story but repeat it poorly.

Let's use star wars. The prequels the Jedi used to be warrior monks of peace & justice but at some point tied themselves to the ruling government to the point they just became some government agency as well as constrained themselves to the point they didn't find their chosen one till he was too old to train by their standards, and then poorly trained as well as constrained him till he turned evil. Original trilogy Obi-wan and Yoda spent two decades thinking on why the Jedi failed and then taught Luke the basic so he would rebuild the Jedi into what they were suppose to be. Then in the sequel Luke failed so Rey would be able to replace him as the restorer of the Jedi, but they didn't go into any detail about this (in either why Luke failed -I'm ignoring the kylo nonsense- or how Rey was suppose to be better or what she was suppose to fix) and the character only seems interested in possibly doing this is because she has to. Which is why nothing has been made pass the ninth movie so far and they keep going back further and further in Star wars timeline.

Now Naruto. Minato was a proto-Naruto someone that did some reform and realized their were problems in the ninja system but didn't live long enough to change anything. So, his son had to take up the role, but that was dropped because they thought some side character would give them more money. Now we're in Boruto, where at best he wants to take over Sasuke's role of the Hokage's enforcer in the shadow to maintain the ninja system, but the story moves at such as snails pace this hasn't been touch upon and he more or less just a Naruto clone from a nH fanfic especially in the anime.

Edit: Most Japaneses' manga/anime/video games from what I've seen are more about reforming a corrupt system, making amends, forgiving but not forgetting past crimes, and striving to do better moving forward instead of violent overthrows and revolutions. That's more a Western obsession in stories.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 20 December 2021 - 07:12 AM.

#30010 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:33 PM

Looks like there is more proof of boruto not making a profit, with demon slayer also being the number 1 franchise, which still kinda shocks ne that one piece is in 5th place. Plus if any boruto fans try to say its a monthly excuse attack on titan and record of ragnarok are both monthly manga up there. Granted I'm still surprised attack on titan is up there given the backlash to the ending https://twitter.com/...ZtTNW7BeSA&s=19

Edited by BlueStarSaber, 19 December 2021 - 11:37 PM.

#30011 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:55 PM

Looks like there is more proof of boruto not making a profit, with demon slayer also being the number 1 franchise, which still kinda shocks ne that one piece is in 5th place. Plus if any boruto fans try to say its a monthly excuse attack on titan and record of ragnarok are both monthly manga up there. Granted I'm still surprised attack on titan is up there given the backlash to the ending https://twitter.com/...ZtTNW7BeSA&s=19

Wow, Jujutsu really shot up there.

One Piece has been dragging recently...or since the time skip.

#30012 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 11:35 AM

Yes indeed and thanks for the list. If I recall correctly, the last time Naruto was in that Oricon Top 30 franchise list was in 2015 with USD ~34 million (revenue from Q4 2014 - Q4 2015). It was their lowest in the top 30 before they dropped off perpetually. Before 2015, Naruto has been on par with the likes of One Piece, etc.

If Naruto franchise generate money with Boruto, they will be on the list. What's interesting is the top 30 stops at franchise having an income of USD ~15 million in the year. And not all of them have animated series. The franchise ranked 30th, "Apothecary Diaries" is a light novel with no anime product. To compare with 2015 stats, the franchise ranked 30th in 2015 generated USD 17.6 million.

So, the takeaway is Naruto franchise generated less than USD 15 million nowadays. How much exactly, nobody knows except the producers.

If we put USD 15 million per annum as the minimum benchmark, we're getting USD 1.25 million per month. Let's say there's 100 people working on the franchise, gross revenue wise, everyone is getting USD 12.5k. Now, of course it's never that simple :) and the above illustration is way too simplistic. Most of the revenue goes to the publisher. But you get the ideas. There are many sources out there tried to dissect how much exactly a mangaka earned. This is one interesting take: https://okuha.com/ho...a-mangaka-earn/

Attack on Titan ending was well received in Japan. That's what matters from financial perspective, frankly. Naruto ending, on the other hand, wasn't well received in Japan. Look at where it is now.

Demon Slayer, to my opinion is an anomaly. Its journey as a product has been one of its kind and there are various compounding factors come into play. Nonetheless, it's a great example and a positive proof that customers will spend their money when the right product comes along.

http://namaenasuyou.tumblr.com/     ||     https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6308104/

"I'm sorry I didn't believe. But I'd given up believing in so much, until I met you. From the first day I saw you, you were everything I ever wanted to believe in. You can do this, Diana. I know you can...But I have to go."

"It's okay, this is what I came here to do. I can save today, but you... you can save the world."

#30013 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 12:39 PM

I think it's more recently for one piece from what I have seen

Anyway can someone clarify which of these sales data is true or not in regards to the sasuke novel sales

https://twitter.com/...Xrf6FSIQwg&s=19

https://twitter.com/...8OWVUEHHMA&s=19

#30014 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 02:44 PM

I think it's more recently for one piece from what I have seen

Anyway can someone clarify which of these sales data is true or not in regards to the sasuke novel sales

https://twitter.com/...Xrf6FSIQwg&s=19

https://twitter.com/...8OWVUEHHMA&s=19

Not sure what's being debated. I suppose, whatever claims that was mentioned need to quote the actual source, even if it's in Japanese language.

Oricon has few layers of tracking, the weekly ones, the half yearly aggregate and the yearly aggregates.

So, if Sasuke Retsuden sold that much (300k, as some claimed to be), it would've been in one of these lists:

https://www.animenew...me-2019/.153766

https://www.animenew...me-2020/.159998

https://www.animenew...me-2020/.166846

I personally biased towards the weekly sales tracker as proxy metrics. It's similar like Box Office ticket sales. The first few weeks determine the overall lifetime revenue. Have a look at "your name" light novel sales trend as a comparison.

#30015 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 05:30 PM

I sadly must disagree. Naruto was never about ending the ninja system, but rejecting the corrupt parts like being considered a weapon or the clan seal and reforming it.

The problem with modern sequel is they don't continue the story but repeat it poorly.

Let's use star wars. The prequels the Jedi used to be warrior monks of peace & justice but at some point tied themselves to the ruling government to the point they just became some government agency as well as constrained themselves to the point they didn't find their chosen one till he was too old to train by their standards, and then poorly trained as well as constrained him till he turned evil. Original trilogy Obi-wan and Yoda spent two decades thinking on why the Jedi failed and then taught Luke the basic so he would rebuild the Jedi into what they were suppose to be. Then in the sequel Luke failed so Rey would be able to replace him as the restorer of the Jedi, but they didn't go into any detail about this (in either why Luke failed -I'm ignoring the kylo nonsense- or how Rey was suppose to be better or what she was suppose to fix) and the character only seems interested in possibly doing this is because she has to. Which is why nothing has been made pass the ninth movie so far and they keep going back further and further in Star wars timeline.

Now Naruto. Minato was a proto-Naruto someone that did some reform and realized their were problems in the ninja system but didn't live long enough to change anything. So, his son had to take up the role, but that was dropped because they thought some side character would give them more money. Now we're in Boruto, where at best he wants to take over Sasuke's role of the Hokage's enforcer in the shadow to maintain the ninja system, but the story moves at such as snails pace this hasn't been touch upon and he more or less just a Naruto clone from a nH fanfic especially in the anime.

Edit: Most Japaneses' manga/anime/video games from what I've seen are more about reforming a corrupt system, making amends, forgiving but not forgetting past crimes, and striving to do better moving forward instead of violent overthrows and revolutions. That's more a Western obsession in stories.

But therein lies the problem. Naruto didn't change a corrupt system instead going for the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. Forgiveness aside, he just outright forgot the atrocities others have commited towards not only him and his home but other places which paradoxically caused the problem in the first place only WHEN IT CONVIENCESES HIM. i.e. Orochimaru's experiments are condoned by him personally now, Obito "was the coolest guy" just because they shared a dream of being Hokage, and don't get me started on him bending his back over to let his yaoi boy toy Sasuke off the hook even though it wasn't him that technically did that. And where do you see anyone in Boruto STRIVING to be better going forward? Naruto and Sasuke are doing nothing to better anything in the ninja system even though they are or were the ones complaining the most on how much suffering it caused others and in Sasuke's case himself especially. In short Naruto portrayed none of the messages listed, and Boruto is not doing that now. The story overall just feels soulless and completely dead. So obviously no one shows any real emotional investment in it

Edited by Phantom_999, 21 December 2021 - 12:41 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#30016 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 05:38 PM

Not sure what's being debated. I suppose, whatever claims that was mentioned need to quote the actual source, even if it's in Japanese language.

Oricon has few layers of tracking, the weekly ones, the half yearly aggregate and the yearly aggregates.

So, if Sasuke Retsuden sold that much (300k, as some claimed to be), it would've been in one of these lists:

https://www.animenew...me-2019/.153766

https://www.animenew...me-2020/.159998

https://www.animenew...me-2020/.166846

I personally biased towards the weekly sales tracker as proxy metrics. It's similar like Box Office ticket sales. The first few weeks determine the overall lifetime revenue. Have a look at "your name" light novel sales trend as a comparison.

You mean like how endgame and no way home tickets sales show that they were/are gonna be the highest grossing films of the year they came out?

It's mostly arguments and debates against the fans that are pro ss & sakura, against the anti SS, anti sakura or both. With the arguing whether or not the actual novel has sold well or not in Japan.

With both sides using sources and input from fans from Japan about how well the series is doing. One example is here claiming a Japanese fan told this person that apprantly the sasuke novel is on its 5th reprint, showing that its selling well.
https://twitter.com/...ZjbTyqSzSQ&s=19

#30017 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 December 2021 - 05:47 PM

Yay for Gundam Thunderbolt being on that list! Since there has been no news about a third OVA series continuing where Bandit Flower left off, I was curious about how it was doing. So, yay...and I have a lot of catching up to do it appears.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#30018 VanitasDS76491

VanitasDS76491

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, Naruto, Bleach,,RWBY, Fairy Tail, Kill la Kill. Dragon Ball Series, Attack on Titan, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, The Last of Us, Hellsing, Yu-Gi-oh, Digimon, Rave Master, The Middle-Earth Saga, Star Wars, Marvel Comics, MCU, Superman, Batman, DC Comics, Metal Gear Series, Transformers Series, Devil May Cry, Bioshock Series, One Piece, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusko, Soul Eater.

Posted 20 December 2021 - 11:13 PM

speaking of no way home it was so good and did the whole revenge thing so good using the other two peter examples 

#30019 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 01:37 AM

You mean like how endgame and no way home tickets sales show that they were/are gonna be the highest grossing films of the year they came out?

It's mostly arguments and debates against the fans that are pro ss & sakura, against the anti SS, anti sakura or both. With the arguing whether or not the actual novel has sold well or not in Japan.

With both sides using sources and input from fans from Japan about how well the series is doing. One example is here claiming a Japanese fan told this person that apprantly the sasuke novel is on its 5th reprint, showing that its selling well.
https://twitter.com/...ZjbTyqSzSQ&s=19

To be more accurate, media products are event-driven and seasonal. Their distribution method is not like our iPhone (or smartphone in general), in which we have a pretty stable demand throughout the year for the phone. It's more like music album sales back in the days. So yeah, the first few weeks after the event it's tied to, would typically determine its lifetime sales.

I personally would stay away from debate that's not referring to official figures. It's not worth your time. Stay away from folks that have been consumed by confirmation bias. Nothing will change their mind and you'll better spend your time elsewhere. If the light novel sold well, it would have been in the Oricon chart weekly, half yearly or yearly. It's that simple (as far as Oricon tracking goes).

The Twitter account owner (WSJ Oricon?) was sharing information on a good intention, but he/she is still not an official source. Not to undermine him/her or anything, but I'd prefer to quote from the official website like Oricon (there are legal consequences if Oricon spread misleading information). If he/she has the official information, share it with public alongside his/her quote. It's good for everyone.

Reprint is basically a mechanism for which the producers back-order to the printing companies to add or to replenish supply. It's a common practice in the printing industry. You'd order a high volume to get better discount from the printing companies if you are confident that your product will be well received (based on market research and other go-to-market strategy). You'd order lower volume if you'd like to be more conservative, observe how market react to your products and reprint as needed. It's all about maximizing your gain/profit.

Remember that books in circulation does not equal to the sales figure. So, it's a pretty wild stretch to correlate the number of reprint as a measure of product success. You back-order (reprint) 10k copies 5 times does not mean your product is more successful than a product that's sold 80k for the same time period.

When it comes to light novel, my reference for sales trend was "your name". It's seasonal and event driven. By September 2016, the light novel had sold around 1,029,000 copies. In the second week on September 2016, the novel had sold around 112,000 more copies. After the wide release of the film adaptation in August 2016, the novel reached the top place in Oricon's weekly bunkobon sales charts for three consecutive weeks. The novel has sold over 1.3 million copies as of December 2016. They never bragged about how many reprints they did. They're on Oricon chart that year. If your product is good, it'll be well received. As simple as that.

Edited by Namaenash, 21 December 2021 - 01:48 AM.

#30020 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 02:05 AM

But therein lies the problem. Naruto didn't change a corrupt system instead going for the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality.

Forgiveness aside, he just outright forgot the atrocities others have committed towards not only him and his home but other places which paradoxically caused the problem in the first place only WHEN IT CONVIENCESES HIM. i.e. Orochimaru's experiments are condoned by him personally now, Obito "was the coolest guy" just because they shared a dream of being Hokage, and don't get me started on him bending his back over to let his yaoi boy toy Sasuke off the hook even though it wasn't him that technically did that.

And where do you see anyone in Boruto STRIVING to be better going forward? Naruto and Sasuke are doing nothing to better anything in the ninja system even though they are or were the ones complaining the most on how much suffering it caused others and in Sasuke's case himself especially. In short Naruto portrayed none of the messages listed, and Boruto is not doing that now. The story overall just feels soulless and completely dead. So obviously no one shows any real emotional investment in it

And I believe, I always say, he was suppose to do that but it was dropped for Hinata. Not helped that it wasn't much a focus before that. Too much focus on chasing after Sasuke and when Kishimoto tried to add some of it in he still tied to the chasing after Sasuke. The cycle of hatred. And even then it wasn't really explored or analyzed. But no matter what people think Naruto was never overthrowing/destroying the ninja system.

Still not sure why Orochimaru was kept alive other then someone dislikes the death penalty. Sasuke was never going to be punished for anything because Kishimoto refused to go into that part of the story. As for Obito since I reread his TNJ to him awhile back. He largely understood why Obito did it because at the time he still loved Sakura and Obito was Naruto if Sasuke killed Sakura, but he still felt that Obito had to return to the village and face any punishment because even he knows deep down what he did was wrong. And Naruto knows this because they are a lot alike.

Well, from what I understand, every child of the next generation are instant geniuses that instantly gain or learned all their parents secret techniques without any effort. That must make them better...in someone's mind. They can't show Naruto accomplished anything other then in the vaguest sense because what Naruto would do once becoming hokage was never really focused on. Not that they cared when it was needed to be focused on. Hell, if they focused on Salad even a bit she would be a great way to see what Naruto accomplish other then general peace. But again, they aren't even focusing on what Boruto wants to be but instead that Neo-SNS conflict and Kaguya's clan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: naruto, wtf, discuss

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users