• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Rabbit

Rabbit

Pappaparapappapa

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Being peculiar. Travelling around the world. Shoujo manga. Obsessed with cats. Jelly beans. NicoNico. SPLATOON. Honeyworks.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:36 AM

The only reason I watched this was because of RADWIMPS. :lol: both なんでもないや and 前前世

Shall we skate?❄❄

5a8024b87c1bc97de775cb6fa0967ff9.gif

#22 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

So, I've watched the movie. I'm rather disappointed tbh. I will write more tomorrow.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#23 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:02 PM

So, I've watched the movie. I'm rather disappointed tbh. I will write more tomorrow.

I'll have to disagree on this one, I thought it was a great movie, though I did go into the movie relatively spoiler free and my expectations were grounded.

I got the feeling they borrowed certain elements from the girl who leaped through time and Summer wars and came up with the premise for this movie. I would have liked to see the bonds between the characters further elaborated on, and my biggest complain would be the male MC felt lacking, he was forgettable and not as well flashed out as the female lead, he felt like a nice guy nothing more than that, heck the biggest question I had about him was why he had a bandage on his cheek at the start of the movie.

In many way this would have worked better as a mini series....the movie did a great job making you love the story but you don't fall in love with the characters. I do think it's a must watch, but for me I still think Summer Wars is a better movie. 

iAnby7W.gif

#24 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:22 AM

I've heard about this movie for a while now, though I largely avoided any big spoilers since I planned to watch it eventually. I finally watched it tonight, not having any expectations one way or the other. I guess it was okay, but I was pretty bored. Nothing about it really stood out to me unfortunately.

I do think it's a must watch, but for me I still think Summer Wars is a better movie.

I remember really enjoying Summer Wars! But by now I've forgotten pretty much everything that happened in it.

#25 dejavu

dejavu

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Finally got to watched this.

I usually avoid the hype.. i was tempted to watched this since it aired on our local cinemas and i DID plan to go watch it but been carried away by lots of adult-ing duties.

I had little knowledge about it since i didn't even finish the trailers but my final verdict after watching this: its a GREAT watch.

It got me like three days to fully recover from it. Not the best but IMO its definitely up there. This got a The Girl Who Leapt Through Time vibe mixed with Charlotte and this old asian movie (not an anime) that i watched WAY WAAAY back that deals with a similar matter.

If you watched it with no expectations or whatsoever i think this will be a good enjoyable movie.

#26 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

Watched this movie about a month ago. Your Name > Spirited Away

Left Hand to the Future Pirate King

Vinsmoke "Black Leg" Sanji

2XtVwF6.png

#27 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

I'll have to disagree on this one, I thought it was a great movie, though I did go into the movie relatively spoiler free and my expectations were grounded.

I got the feeling they borrowed certain elements from the girl who leaped through time and Summer wars and came up with the premise for this movie. I would have liked to see the bonds between the characters further elaborated on, and my biggest complain would be the male MC felt lacking, he was forgettable and not as well flashed out as the female lead, he felt like a nice guy nothing more than that, heck the biggest question I had about him was why he had a bandage on his cheek at the start of the movie.

In many way this would have worked better as a mini series....the movie did a great job making you love the story but you don't fall in love with the characters. I do think it's a must watch, but for me I still think Summer Wars is a better movie. 

I definitely do agree that this would have worked better as a TV anime than a movie. There was so much to explore- but the budget for that beautiful animation would have run out.

I just generally have a limit when it comes to suspension of disbelief and general tolerance to plotholes, and Your Name exceeded that pretty much. Such an enjoyable anime, but at the same time my friend and I couldn't help but laugh at the stupidity of certain things. I hated the characters, especially the main character. Underdeveloped and overall cliche. Seen that a thousand times on other animes, and everyone else has, too. The time-travel stuff/ time-disparity was riggled with plotholes. Neither of them has NOT noticed that they have not lived in the same time frame this entire friggin time?! Bawawahahah, I can't, man, I can't. They didn't even try to call each other (and if they had, this entire anime would have fallen apart). A forced romance story that tries to tell us that these two were destined to save the town and are meant for each other when they haven't even really met the other (excluding the physical body swap). They don't even explain the body swap (why do all her other relatives do the body swap? For what purpose? Only her and him make sense). I laughed so hard when he wrote on her hand "I love you" instead of his name. If that is supposed to be romantic, I don't know. He DOEN'T EVEN KNOW HER. I liked the first half of the movie a lot more and had wished that they expanded on that. Definitely would have helped their characters. Lastly, I hated how the relationship b/w the dad and the daughter has not been solved or anything.

Your Name blinds people with gorgeous animation. This movie wouldn't work if the animation sucked ass.

Makoto Shinkai has done better star-crossed lover stories.

I sound like a hater, but it was a pretty enjoyable movie, but I don't understand why people compare Spirited Away with Your Name (they have nothing to do with each other in terms of story).

Anyways, I'm still gonna watch Your Name in the theater when it comes out in the US b/c I want to support the cinematic anime distribution here, and b/c I curious to see what it would look like on the big screen.

Edit: Summer Wars was a fun movie. The family dynamics was the best part about it.

Edited by trang95, 15 March 2017 - 10:35 PM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."

#28 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Watched this movie about a month ago. Your Name > Spirited Away

And here we go.

I've heard about this movie for a while now, though I largely avoided any big spoilers since I planned to watch it eventually. I finally watched it tonight, not having any expectations one way or the other. I guess it was okay, but I was pretty bored. Nothing about it really stood out to me unfortunately.

I remember really enjoying Summer Wars! But by now I've forgotten pretty much everything that happened in it.

I thought it was enjoyable. Had some laughs here and there. Just wouldn't call it one of the best animes of all time- that really is a reach.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#29 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

I'm surprised this thread is so dead, considering the popularity of the movie.

I just came back from the theater, where I saw this movie. I thought it would be in dub, but for whatever reason it was actually sub. Too bad: I really wanted to see what it would sound like in dub.

I have to confess that my overall experience is slightly better now. This is literally the most gorgeously animated movie I have ever seen. The main plotholes still annoyed me a lot, but I do not regret having seen it in the theater. I think this is like the first time I have ever seen an anime in the theater. It's hard to watch animes here in the west.

Next week, when my friend comes over, I'll go watch this movie with her. She doesn't know anything about anime, but I think this is a pretty good entry into the anime franchise for people like her. I'll be looking forward to her reaction when she gets to that plot twist.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#30 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

I'm surprised this thread is so dead, considering the popularity of the movie.

Movie threads don't last long.

2XtVwF6.png

#31 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

Just a heads up rotten tomatoes gave Your Name a fresh 97% 

Anyway just thought I'd let ya'll know that I'm gonna be seeing it today since I've got alot of time and cause I promised a friend, and tomorrow since Ria had an extra ticket.

So my review on Your Name will most likely be up either by today or tomorrow. 

Edited by LuckyChi7, 10 April 2017 - 02:20 PM.

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#32 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

Mitsuha Japanese voice - 10/10 perfection, waifu material 

Mitsuha English voice - 1/10 doesn't fit, sounds like a whiny 10 year old. The whining and high pitch fits and is cute in Japanese, but doesn't translate well in English. Made since when this voice actor played Taiga from Toradora and a bunch of young kids like Illya (Fate) and Kayo (Erased), but doesn't fit Mitsuha at all... Not to mention she is also Hinata's voice actor.

2XtVwF6.png

#33 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

I'm probably gonna watch it this week. I've been reading up on reviews and articles about it, so I'm definitely ready to check it out with some friends  :happy:

#34 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

Just got done seeiing Your Name and wow it's beautiful I'll definitely say that for sure.  My review of the movie will be up later like I said before (most likely tomorrow), but I got to say I love Taki and Mitsuha's relationship in the film. 

SP and Kishi that is how you handle a love story unlike what you call the masterpiece known as "The Last"

I'd say it's another OTP on my list in recent years.. as far as OTPS of all time I got to give it more time before I make that decision. 

Can't wait to say what Makoto Shinkai does next!

I'll even say it's one of my favorite anime films.. now in terms of favorite anime films of all time go.. again just like with the OTPS, I got to give it more time before I make that decision. 

Will I get on Bluray? Most likely :D 

in case anyone is curious I saw the dub for it since it was the last day to see it.. but the sub version will still be out until Thursday, and that's the one I'm going to see with Ria tomorrow. 

#35 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

@trang
I think from what I watched the film, the reason why they compare this to Miyazaki because of wise old woman, cute imotou, and beautiful scenery.

I disagree, the story is about soulmate that connect with red threat of fate. It's a story about destined lover and how their love pretty much avert a tragedy. I think that's the twist that make people like the movie. While at the same time I kind of agree with the assesment of plot hole Eventhough people tend to handwave it for the sake of drama.

The concept red threat of fate is nothing new and they do it better than naruto the last who use the same concept.

#36 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

So change of plans   on the whole review thing goes.. My buddy J and I are going to be doing a livestream discussion on Your Name this upcoming thursday night around.. still haven't decided that yet, but I'll let ya'll know when it happens. 

Btw seeing the movie again was still beautiful, even in the japanese dub. 

In terms of what's better between the dub and subs... I think they are both pretty even in terms of how good they were I really enjoyed them. 

Before I forget Ria came across this video, and it's pretty insightful: 

OPEN ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE!!

Edited by LuckyChi7, 11 April 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#37 unhskikrforever

unhskikrforever

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:02 AM

The only question I have regarding the movie is the time leaping. How exactly did they do that? Was it just because they were connected by the red string of fate or is there a better explanation for this? Other than that, I would have liked it if they showed more of what happened after they finally met. 

15f62c4.png

#38 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

The only question I have regarding the movie is the time leaping. How exactly did they do that? Was it just because they were connected by the red string of fate or is there a better explanation for this? Other than that, I would have liked it if they showed more of what happened after they finally met. 

I believe it's throught the red string of fate.. the video in my last post kinda explains it pretty well. 

Same here I mean I think it's a beautiful movie, but maybe a small after credit scenes of what happened afterwards what've been a nice treat, but that's like a minor nitpick of mine. 

#39 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:14 AM

Alright you guys my buddy J and I are doing the livestream discussion on Kimi no Na wa  a.k.a.  Your Name, and it'll take place on April 18th  at 8:30 PM CDT Timezone via Google+ Hangouts.  

We were gonna try yesterday, but it didn't work out, and same thing happened to day.. So instead we're just pushing it back 4 days from now, but rest assured we are gonna get this livestream discussion going. 

Edited by LuckyChi7, 15 April 2017 - 03:16 AM.

#40 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

Mitsuha Japanese voice - 10/10 perfection, waifu material 

Mitsuha English voice - 1/10 doesn't fit, sounds like a whiny 10 year old. The whining and high pitch fits and is cute in Japanese, but doesn't translate well in English. Made since when this voice actor played Taiga from Toradora and a bunch of young kids like Illya (Fate) and Kayo (Erased), but doesn't fit Mitsuha at all... Not to mention she is also Hinata's voice actor.

I agree. I thought the English dub was ok, but the Mitsuha's english dub was awful. It's hard to get over it.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users