• Please log in to reply
733 replies to this topic

#661 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

They have and i gave a brief summary of what the dialogue was a few post down for the first summary. The fact that it took them 3-4 days to do it still says something but the anime is translated almost instantly like dragon ball super.

What is odd the the manga version of Dragon ball Super does come out on time and that is a monthly manga as well shows that Jump have more faith in the super Manga right now than the Bolt Manga.

Which says a lot when you look at the two.

Kind of sad that Naruto has become this, but that what you get when you just think Hinata and some brats will bring you in money, I would rather read a manga about 5 year old Pan, as its been shown she is far sweeter than the Naruto kids. (And could kick their ass as well all of them, what she is a Saiyan after all.)

#662 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

Considering the holiday impact a delay in translation is to be expected, while delivery in Japan would be normal.

I don't know where the assumption that they are bringing in money by using Hinata and her children comes from, they are bringing in money because the world as a whole is interesting (With its flaws). Hinata and Himawari barely feature in the manga (I haven't caught up in a while, not a huge fan of the manga) and only so frequently in the anime. I'm not familiar with Pan, but while Himawari and Boruto aren't the sweetest kids, Himawari I would use the adjective "Sweet" with, and Bolt can be "sweet" at times.(At least to those besides his father.)

I do think though, that a monthly manga hurts them. I wouldn't mind if we only had the Anime and no manga, as the Anime is really interesting. If they made the manga biweekly it would give them some-rest and keep Boruto in the conversation by having it be closer around the corner.

I'm also not a huge fan of the artist's sexualization of Sarada either, Naruto was more tasteful about those things (Though Fairy-Tale and other mangas are just as bad, if not worse). If Sarada was older it wouldn't be as bad. But if it was an American creation I would be pretty critical of that sort of depiction.

Despite this, Boruto is successful. Heck, the complaints about the sexualization won't even hurt it much (It may do the inverse).  A possible movie in the works only suggests further that investors aren't pulling away from Boruto anytime soon.

We already know from long ago that Hinata and Himawari aren't that prevalent, but it doesn't change the fact that the story is still following the crap ending and we're still seeing older characters as little more than caricatures of how they were originally while newer characters are attempts at virtual clones of older ones, even a Hinata-style character through Sumire for no real reason at all.

It's a lot more SP trying to capitalize on "nostalgia" now, but it's clearly failing. Boruto may not be a total bomb, but it's certainly nowhere near the "success" that SP wanted either, where the Boruto stuff isn't even among any official top 10 listings last I saw - completely surpassed by things like One Piece, Boku no Hero Academia Shingeki no Kyojin, and others.

2e5.gif

#663 Aevrum

Aevrum

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

It's no surprise Boruto is not in the top ten. Several factors hurt it:

1: New manga artist.
2: Being monthly (This is the biggest factor IMO).
3: Covering the movie for its first ten serials.

Granted, it may not be in the top ten, but Boruto is still a seriously popular work, particularly with the rest of the globe.

SP does use nostalgia in their episodes, but its actually key for them to do this, and part of their success. As long as they don't overdo it, that's fine.

As for the characters:

Sumire != Hinata at all. They're both shy, but how they expressed it was entirely different. Sumire was also the antagonist of the arc? So her purpose is very clear. All in all Sumire is a well done character, in some ways better than the other kids personally.
Himawari isn't a clone at all. She comes off as sweet adorable sister. I want more then just that though, and I imagine that will happen in time.
Shikadai: I think there's an argument that he is not a clone, but he still feels too similar to Shikamaru to me. I can agree here there is some clone problem.
Inojin: Same as Shikadai IMO.
Mitsuki: Entirely different from Orichimaru. Much less sickening.
Chocho: Unique. One of Kishimoto's better next gen creations.
Sarada: She has some of her mother traits, but she will easily break away from that once they animate
Gaiden. That and she was raised by one parent mostly? So I would argue against a clone-argument here.
Boruto is definitely not a Naruto clone, though I feel like they need to differentiate his goals a bit more.

None of the adults are caricatures of their older selves. They grew up, became adults, so they aren't their younger selves, but the core of who they are is still very much intact.

SP for the most part has handled characters quite well, I'd say. I wish they would give Sakura lines rather than just cameos though, maybe the voice actress was unavailable. I just can't imagine why they wouldn't have her say something if given the chance.

I agree with much, but the nostalgia they are using is also the main restricting point for Boruto: It is always in the shadow of the original.
This also clashes with the fact that it is clearly aimed for a younger audience, the original audience are adults now.

That Sakura doesn't get many lines is just natural - her character has not much purpose anymore. She is only the mother of the MC's Teammate and an old teammate(/wife) of his father (and later his sensei). And we all know how much time these 2nd rate background characters got in the original series.

The adult characters are a difficult topic - I personally hate their designs, but there are acting alright; not exactly like I would have imagined it, but still inside the boundaries of possibilities - except for Naruto. But that's one of the main aspects of Boruto, that he is simply an burned out idiot, *rollseyes*.

I tried to watch Boruto, but it is simply too childish for my liking; I am too old for an Anime like this, the plot and the characters just make me shake my head^^.
I would say it is not bad, but it's boring and I can't get warm with the children, I don't know why.
The good characters are definitely Inojin and Mizuki - the rest are boring.

It has some nostalgia going for it, but that's honestly not enough.

Edited by Aevrum, 06 July 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#664 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

It's no surprise Boruto is not in the top ten. Several factors hurt it:

1: New manga artist.

2: Being monthly (This is the biggest factor IMO).

3: Covering the movie for its first ten serials.

Granted, it may not be in the top ten, but Boruto is still a seriously popular work, particularly with the rest of the globe.

SP does use nostalgia in their episodes, but its actually key for them to do this, and part of their success. As long as they don't overdo it, that's fine.

As for the characters:

Sumire != Hinata at all. They're both shy, but how they expressed it was entirely different. Sumire was also the antagonist of the arc? So her purpose is very clear. All in all Sumire is a well done character, in some ways better than the other kids personally.

Himawari isn't a clone at all. She comes off as sweet adorable sister. I want more then just that though, and I imagine that will happen in time.

Shikadai: I think there's an argument that he is not a clone, but he still feels too similar to Shikamaru to me. I can agree here there is some clone problem.

Inojin: Same as Shikadai IMO.

Mitsuki: Entirely different from Orichimaru. Much less sickening.

Chocho: Unique. One of Kishimoto's better next gen creations.

Sarada: She has some of her mother traits, but she will easily break away from that once they animate Gaiden. That and she was raised by one parent mostly? So I would argue against a clone-argument here.

Boruto is definitely not a Naruto clone, though I feel like they need to differentiate his goals a bit more.

None of the adults are caricatures of their older selves. They grew up, became adults, so they aren't their younger selves, but the core of who they are is still very much intact.

SP for the most part has handled characters quite well, I'd say. I wish they would give Sakura lines rather than just cameos though, maybe the voice actress was unavailable. I just can't imagine why they wouldn't have her say something if given the chance.

The manga should not exist because it is clear that the manga team does not care about the manga. Kishimoto wants to leave and do something else but probably stays because he owes Ikemoto for all the help he has given him over the years as well as the company demanding he stay on. Ikemoto is not "new" he has been with Kishimoto since the beginning, he wanted to do his own version of Naruto instead of Bolt, and he is incredibly lazy. Don't know about the guy writing the plot.

The Clone exist most likely because the people at SP want to try deciding who the love interest is again. They made her the villain of the first arc to make her interesting and memorable to the audience.

The daughter is the perfect little girl because SP would never allow the child of nH to be anything less then perfect if they have a choice.

Shika is just shikamaru.

Blond Sai is just Sai but is not kissing Bolt's ass.

Cups is a clone of Sai who exist just to kiss Bolt's ass. They tried having him be mysterious but it doesn't work because we already know who he is and why he is there.

Fat Filler is Ino as a fat black comic relief character.

Salad changes depending on who writing her. In Chapter 700 she is Karin's daughter. After that when written by Kishimoto she is Sakura's Daughter. By Ikemoto she is the Anti-Sakura. And by the Anime she a side character that's Bolt's former friend due to their parents that thinks he is an idiot and acts kind of haughty.

Bolt is suppose to be somewhat different from Naruto. The problem is other then being a spoiled brat that can't stop complaining about his dad he is 90% of the time exactly like Naruto with only slight differences. That's for the anime. The manga they haven't done enough with him to have notable characteristics yet.

The adults aren't the main characters anymore other then Naruto and Sasuke. They are used because the audience recognizes them.

They don't like Sakura. She is just a background character to them. She may get scenes in the next arc but that's because its based off the Gaiden.

Yeah I get that feeling. If you push on to the later episodes they are more entertaining, but some earlier episodes made me consider why I was still watching it.

Boruto just started, so it being in the shadow of the original right now is fine. The older Boruto gets, and the further past Naruto gets, the more this will see itself resolved I think.

This feels like I'm watching a generic Light Novel adaptation that based on a sequel of something that you're suppose to read before even thinking of watching this. I feels that I'm suppose to know who these people are. It's not standing on it own it relies on the fans knowing and loving Naruto. Without that there not much here. That is bad for drawing in new fans. At least with Dragonball Super it's on a Sunday and the parents are probably watching it along with their kids.

When the foundations are set, it is very hard to change them. They are content with what they are doing right now. There is not going to be any radical changes or improvements. What you're getting right now is the same you're going to get even ten years from now. If this anime survives that long.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 07 July 2017 - 03:08 AM.

#665 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

The first part is all presumptive. We can't know if the Manga Team has stopped caring (I see nothing/feel nothing that suggests this at all), nor guess why Kishimoto is staying. The Manga team definitely cares, and personally I bet Kishimoto is finding it hard to completely separate himself because: 1: The new team still needs guidance for a while, and 2: It's his baby. It's hard to let go.

Blond Sai could use more differentiation I agree.

Most young girls are "perfect little girls", if raised right, or seen that way by doting adults. I'm sure this will be expanded on later, it's too early to criticize this at all personally.

Chocho (Fat Filler is a bit insulting to use here) does give comic relief, but it is refreshing.

Mitsuki is actually well-written. He's got similiarities but he's different enough from Sai to be compelling.

Sarada is clearly Sakura's daughter, and this doesn't change by chapter or who is writing her. In the Manga/Movie she is clearly her own character, and she's close to that feel as well in the Anime. (She actually is a bit too Sakura-ish in the anime).

Boruto needs more time in the anime and manga, but I definitely see the differences. He's a lot sweeter/nicer than the more brash Naruto, and not as foolish/oblivious.

We can't say someone doesn't like Sakura because she has no lines. I wish she did, but the voice actress could have been busy, or there was no point to the lines that were suggested for her to speak. There are other characters who don't even appear yet, which is why I think saying "She's disliked" is baseless.

Lastly, I strongly disagree with the last part. The anime is definitely going to change in the coming years, and is working on standing on its own. It's not there yet, but it is on the right path. The reason why the argument doesn't hold up about knowing and loving Naruto is that its general audience isn't older people, but preteens/teens, who have long aged up from the original Naruto.

Kishimoto couldn't stop talking about his upcoming scifi manga until he suddenly became the editor of Boruto. Ikemoto in an interview beside kishimoto said that he original wanted to do a remake/reboot of Naruto like how western comic books reboot their comics every few years. The higher ups said no. Don't know much about the writer. i think he the guy that likes RPGs. I think. If it was hard to let go, why isn't he still the mangaka?

Already said my piece about those kids, and Sakura.

Did Studio Pierrot kill the entire Naruto team staff that works on the anime after Naruto ended and hire new people to work on Boruto? No? Then most of this staff has been working on the Naruto franchise for nearly 15 years. Yes. Yes. They got a new director and writer that will change somethings here and there,. but the core group remains the same. I'm not talking about the last fourteen weeks from how I understand it this has been the quailty of the Naruto franscihse anime for several years by this point. They are not going to improve by any significant margin.

#666 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts
  • Interests:Writing

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

@ Analyzer that's a really good way to put it..  fair to say my expectations are extremely low when it comes to Boruto, and I'll admit it's been hit or miss when it comes to the episodes... comparing to Naruto though I'll admit nostalgia does play a big part in this. I understand they wanted to aim the show more towards kids, I mean it's a different but Star vs Forces of evil is a great example of showcasing a show in a very kid like setting, but also showcase growth in character, or even shows like Star Wars Rebels, and even Pokemon The Series: Sun and Moon is a good example to.. I have no doubt that character growth will happen in Boruto.. It just all depends on the execution which so far I guess is just okay at best.

4e26f1bc8d604925166ad9bb2f431f5cc8eb6385

THAT'S WHAT HEROES DO, THEY SAVE PEOPLE!!

#667 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:20 AM

That's very interesting, the point you made about the Sci-Fi manga. I wonder if Kishimoto is just having a hard time letting go, or just enjoys a supervisor role's likely much more ease in workload that he isn't going to do it? I can't blame him if he doesn't, I know he has kids, and not getting involved in another manga would allow him to really be involved in their growing up.

What I meant by change, is the show's tonal shift. It will become darker (Not anytime soon), more serious, and start to skew its aging with its audience's aging.

He isn't a good writer and need something good to copy eh I mean to inspire.

Have you seen his other work?

Well, as long as it entertaining then it would good to go.

#668 totherpage95

totherpage95

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:48 AM

That's very interesting, the point you made about the Sci-Fi manga. I wonder if Kishimoto is just having a hard time letting go, or just enjoys a supervisor role's likely much more ease in workload that he isn't going to do it? I can't blame him if he doesn't, I know he has kids, and not getting involved in another manga would allow him to really be involved in their growing up.

At one point kishi said naruto was over then the story changed to kishi being supervisor

#669 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

I went to Japan for holiday recently. I didn't pay attention that much on anime these days; the only thing that I recalled from my trip was the relatively huge Attack on Titan exhibition when I went to Tokyo SkyTree. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I suppose it shows that this series is very popular nowadays.

I still saw One Piece, Dragon Ball or Gundam almost everywhere (even at konbini such as 7/11) together with the all-time classic series like Anpanman or Doraemon. They blended these characters into snacks and other goodies for all ages to buy. It's pop culture things, so...

Anyways, as far as Naruto series goes, none that I encountered during my trip. But hey, this is just anecdotes, so, please take it with a grain of salt. When I lived there for study/work, Naruto series was on the same tier as One Piece in terms of popularity. I couldn't tell you exactly, but if you live there, you'd know the vibe. Those were the good days of Naruto, long before the disastrous NH/SS era.

There's a good reason Naruto was not on NHK top 100 anime list (http://www.nhk.or.jp...port/index.html) , which I think it was impacted by the ending.

Boruto series is not even once appeared in weekly top 10 anime ranking, despite all the big names SP put to work on the project and I suppose a relatively big advertisement (via its weekly jump issues). Check out the internet yourself. In its golden days, Naruto was a regular contender in top 10 or top 5, together with Meitantei Conan and One Piece. Those days are gone, thanks to NH/SS to spin off Boruto. Big mistake.

Don't even talk about Boruto manga sales. Compared to Naruto, it shrunk by large proportion. Further strengthening a pareto principle observation with this series (albeit amateurish one, ha ha..). Naruto used to be in the top 4 or 5 with at least above 5-6 million a year in its golden time. On the contrary, the trend for Boruto is going down, no matter how you slice and dice it. Check out how the manga sales fare in its first half of 2017 (https://myanimelist.net/news/50938285).

I would argue that technically Naruto is not over. It's not over as much as Dragon Ball is never really over. When a series ends, it should come to a conclusion to the journey. Not another subplot just for the sake of money making after the climax of the story. Naruto is not Dragon Ball. It's not even close. The key difference between these two, Dragon Ball is huge and it keeps drawing fans because of its plot simplicity. Its main attraction was strong people fighting strong enemies. People watch Dragon Ball for its fight sequence and for its pop culture.

Different case with Naruto. If you're a longtime fans, like I was before the ending, you know that it has lost its charm with the ending and the new plot. For the record, I actually had the first volume of Naruto bought in its first year and the original WSJ issue with Naruto first chapter that I bought when I lived in Japan --I threw away these items btw :P

Slam Dunk ended gracefully, likewise with Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha and many others. They completed their journey with satisfying ends and a journey worth exploring for many years.

A better route Naruto producer should have taken is to end it gracefully. To tie up the loose ends and conclude it with satisfying end. If they want to milk it some more, spin off a series telling the history of First Hokage, Fourth Hokage or even Sage of Six Path for that matters. Unfortunately, they choose a rushed romance subplot which only loud minority cares. Yes, NH/SS is a loud minority based on the follow-up sales number. The one that claimed to be the most popular pairing turns out to be the least popular ones. It's not a surprise that these pairing are no longer being pushed to make it more popular in the new series.

Edited by Namaenash, 21 July 2017 - 06:09 PM.

http://namaenasuyou.tumblr.com/     ||     https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6308104/

"I'm sorry I didn't believe. But I'd given up believing in so much, until I met you. From the first day I saw you, you were everything I ever wanted to believe in. You can do this, Diana. I know you can...But I have to go."

"What? What are you saying?"

"It's okay, this is what I came here to do. I can save today, but you... you can save the world."

#670 Yyubie

Yyubie

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

@Namaenash

Glad to have you here when most veteran member already moved on from the disastrous ending (understandable) and share us this valuable reality information. Do you have a chance to talk to some stranger in japan and ask them about Naruto ?? I'm just curious what did japanese fans think after 2-3 years after the ending. And allow me to add Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin also completed their journey with very satisfying ends with almost zero plot hole when they can milk it more with Yahiko journey but they wisely decide to close the book.

tumblr_nexjjgShiv1rz4qnxo1_500.gif
An out of control man needs a strong woman to control him.
And even a violent woman will become soft and tender to the man she love.

#671 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

I went to Japan for holiday recently. I didn't pay attention that much on anime these days; the only thing that I recalled from my trip was the relatively huge Attack on Titan exhibition when I went to Tokyo SkyTree. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I suppose it shows that this series is very popular nowadays.

I still saw One Piece, Dragon Ball or Gundam almost everywhere (even at konbini such as 7/11) together with the all-time classic series like Anpanman or Doraemon. They blended these characters into snacks and other goodies for all ages to buy. It's pop culture things, so...

Anyways, as far as Naruto series goes, none that I encountered during my trip. But hey, this is just anecdotes, so, please take it with a grain of salt. When I lived there for study/work, Naruto series was on the same tier as One Piece in terms of popularity. I couldn't tell you exactly, but if you live there, you'd know the vibe. Those were the good days of Naruto, long before the disastrous NH/SS era.

There's a good reason Naruto was not on NHK top 100 anime list (http://www.nhk.or.jp...port/index.html) , which I think it was impacted by the ending.

Boruto series is not even once appeared in weekly top 10 anime ranking, despite all the big names SP put to work on the project and I suppose a relatively big advertisement (via its weekly jump issues). Check out the internet yourself. In its golden days, Naruto was a regular contender in top 10 or top 5, together with Meitantei Conan and One Piece. Those days are gone, thanks to NH/SS to spin off Boruto. Big mistake.

Don't even talk about Boruto manga sales. Compared to Naruto, it shrunk by large proportion. Further strengthening a pareto principle observation with this series (albeit amateurish one, ha ha..). Naruto used to be in the top 4 or 5 with at least above 5-6 million a year in its golden time. On the contrary, the trend for Boruto is going down, no matter how you slice and dice it. Check out how the manga sales fare in its first half of 2017 (https://myanimelist.net/news/50938285).

I would argue that technically Naruto is not over. It's not over as much as Dragon Ball is never really over. When a series ends, it should come to a conclusion to the journey. Not another subplot just for the sake of money making after the climax of the story. Naruto is not Dragon Ball. It's not even close. The key difference between these two, Dragon Ball is huge and it keeps drawing fans because of its plot simplicity. Its main attraction was strong people fighting strong enemies. People watch Dragon Ball for its fight sequence and for its pop culture.

Different case with Naruto. If you're a longtime fans, like I was before the ending, you know that it has lost its charm with the ending and the new plot. For the record, I actually had the first volume of Naruto bought in its first year and the original WSJ issue with Naruto first chapter that I bought when I lived in Japan --I threw away these items btw :P

Slam Dunk ended gracefully, likewise with Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha and many others. They completed their journey with satisfying ends and a journey worth exploring for many years.

A better route Naruto producer should have taken is to end it gracefully. To tie up the loose ends and conclude it with satisfying end. If they want to milk it some more, spin off a series telling the history of First Hokage, Fourth Hokage or even Sage of Six Path for that matters. Unfortunately, they choose a rushed romance subplot which only loud minority cares. Yes, NH/SS is a loud minority based on the follow-up sales number. The one that claimed to be the most popular pairing turns out to be the least popular ones. It's not a surprise that these pairing are no longer being pushed to make it more popular in the new series.

1.) It's also because Dragon Ball continues to simply be what it always was and doesn't try to make itself look like anything else whereas Naruto, while it started out similarly (over the top action with simple, but good life lessons), it not only ended up becoming more and more Dragon Ball-like with its fights, but it also kept trying to make itself appear "deeper" than it actually was.

2.) I would have loved to see more "Gaiden" series focused on such things. At least make a series fully displaying the Clan Wars from before the main series, the formation of Konoha and the other villages, the First Great Shinobi War, and climaxing with Hashirama vs. Madara at the Valley of the End. Perhaps even follow it up with the Second and Third Great Shinobi Wars. Show how Hashirama actually died and why the Senju Clan seemed to all but disappear while the Uchiha Clan didn't. Follow Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru's journey (who wouldn't want to see a much more detailed fight between them and Hanzo and being given their Sannin titles by him?) and even a bit more detail into Jiraiya's time with Nagato, Konan, and Yahiko. Show Tobirama's reign more clearly up until his death along with Hiruzen's reign, and so on.

I don't really care for a Hagaromo-based one anymore though since that would now require the use of such enormously forced plot elements like Kaguya and Hamura. If this were still back during the Kage Summit, when "Madara" was declaring war and telling everyone about the Jubi and all, I would have gladly wanted a series around Hagaromo.

2e5.gif

#672 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

Why are we only looking up local popularity? What is its international popularity, it's U.S. it's strength in Europe? I don't expect it to be wonderous, mind, the Manga is eh personally, though the Boruto Volume did well in sales in America, if I recall (#2?). 

Top Ten is considered very elite, IMO. I've state reasons why Boruto likely isn't in the top ten, and frankly, Shippuden rarely entered the top ten anime wise. It's too young, it's very competitive, and I don't think its current writer is as -strong- as Kishimoto was, at this moment in time.

Considering that the last volume of Naruto is one of the highest selling, the comments of disastrous ending is a questionable statement.

700 Ended Naruto, in classic hero Journey style, with the weight that if there was a continuation, it was with the next generation, basically a Harry Potter Style Ending, which had its own criticisms, mind, similar really, in the impact that sort of ending of "Happiness for everyone" can have, though I would say Naruto did better with its finale. It's not a subplot ending, it -is- an ending, Naruto's story is concluded, but it does introduce a new story, that can be explored if the Author so wishes, and he did. It's, believe it or not, a style of ending you can choose. Whether you like it or not is completely subjective, influenced by the Author's execution. 

I also highly disagree about spinning off any past series, as the Fourth Hokage Era was quite explored in the anime, and the past just doesn't hold as much interest as the future, IMO. 

I also don't see how NH/SS have anything to do with what you are implying, and your popularity statement, while not measurable, holds no base either. We should not bash them here.

How would you improve Boruto in its current form?

The reasons why Japanese sales are important is one) because I don't know if you know this but manga comes from Japan so it a good thing to know how it is doing in its home country because two) the home country is a test ground to see if a product should go international if it fails in Japan they may just cancel it, three) people in Japan are more likely to buy the manga then people in other countries, and four) both Naruto the Last movie and the Boruto movie made most of it sales in Japan. So if they are getting sick and tired of the Naruto franchise that is a bad thing. And before you go off about if the movies made most of the money in Japan then we must be wrong and you must be right. The last was sold as the last movie and a NS/Team 7 movie so people pre-ordered seats thinking they were going to see a NS/Team 7 movie until the ending happened and it was revealed the final pairing was nH. People tried getting refunds but all they could do was cancel their seat. That was one of the major events that made the Japanese fanbase grow to hate the nH pairing. As for the Boruto movie it was advertised as an SNS movie so all the yaoi fangirls wanted to see it.

1.) It's also because Dragon Ball continues to simply be what it always was and doesn't try to make itself look like anything else whereas Naruto, while it started out similarly (over the top action with simple, but good life lessons), it not only ended up becoming more and more Dragon Ball-like with its fights, but it also kept trying to make itself appear "deeper" than it actually was.

2.) I would have loved to see more "Gaiden" series focused on such things. At least make a series fully displaying the Clan Wars from before the main series, the formation of Konoha and the other villages, the First Great Shinobi War, and climaxing with Hashirama vs. Madara at the Valley of the End. Perhaps even follow it up with the Second and Third Great Shinobi Wars. Show how Hashirama actually died and why the Senju Clan seemed to all but disappear while the Uchiha Clan didn't. Follow Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru's journey (who wouldn't want to see a much more detailed fight between them and Hanzo and being given their Sannin titles by him?) and even a bit more detail into Jiraiya's time with Nagato, Konan, and Yahiko. Show Tobirama's reign more clearly up until his death along with Hiruzen's reign, and so on.

I don't really care for a Hagaromo-based one anymore though since that would now require the use of such enormously forced plot elements like Kaguya and Hamura. If this were still back during the Kage Summit, when "Madara" was declaring war and telling everyone about the Jubi and all, I would have gladly wanted a series around Hagaromo.

The dragonball franchise has two moods either wacky fun adventure comedy of Dragonball or intense shounen battle manga of Z. GT attempted to try reviving the wacky comedy adventure after Z for the first half, but then with intense shounen battle manga by the baby arc. Super tries to mix the two.

Honestly having gaidens to explain the Ninja universe past would have been interesting.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 22 July 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#673 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

Your refund story is false? It was a rumor started by someone didn't understand how refunds work.

Honestly, I get the interesting in exploring the past, but after getting through Shippuden, I just wanted -future- exploring. The last episodes in the Blank period were actually interesting.

No, there were stories and angry rants posted online by numerous angry customers from Japan.

In the days following The Last's release, various, actual thought-out negative reviews and criticism on The Last on various ratings sights were forcibly removed. Again, well thought-out, not trolling or solely pairing haters, but actual thorough points about the film as a whole.

And then in the subsequent weeks, numerous images from many different Japanese stores showing how merchandise related to The Last and/or NH were not selling. Various images from big conventions showing the Naruto-related booths completely empty. It got so bad that they all but stopped displaying Naruto and Hinata together in advertisements as well as trying to slip in Hinata among Team Seven for stuff like Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (even Hanabi as a DLC character was just a tiny little blurb in the corner of the ad), even trying to go back to only having Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, and sometimes Kakashi together.

2e5.gif

#674 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

http://chattegeorgia...kuras-dethroned

http://blue-analytic...hatte-georgiana

#675 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

I can't get to the essay the link points to.

But I do agree somewhat with the initial post that comments after it, though not with the diction or the tone used or the disdain at all, or calling her a non-Sakura fan: Chatte Georgiana's information isn't the most reliable, and as the brewer of some of the most questionable conspiracy theories, I question the source's integrity as a whole.

Well I guess that confirms her main blog is still not working.

Uh excuse me, chatte was one of the best analyser of the naruto series I know. She was able to do predict most of the abilities Sakura and kaguya would have and how they get them. The only time she got stuff when kishimoto was being a terrible writer.

Did you even look past the first reblogger's trollish post it literally shows links of critic and Japanese fans giving the last and NH a negative reviews.

Maybe I should just link them

http://www.chinatime...03000896-260603

http://suzuchun.tumb...apanese-fandoms

http://heavenandeart...video-x-im-just

http://heavenandeart...ne-japanese-fan

http://heavenandeart...one-donated-all

http://heavenandeart...to-is-trying-so

http://heavenandeart...und-this-pic-on

http://heavenandeart...junko-destroyed

http://heavenandeart...-narutos-ending

http://heavenandeart...m-japanese-fans

http://heavenandeart.tumblr.com/post/110443990745/映画スタッフはnarutoという作品を最後になって壊しました-もう怒りの感情しかないで

http://heavenandeart...fuck-narusbooty

http://heavenandeart...-fans-reactions

#676 VanitasDS76491

VanitasDS76491

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, Naruto, Bleach,,RWBY, Fairy Tail, Kill la Kill. Dragon Ball Series, Attack on Titan, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, The Last of Us, Hellsing, Yu-Gi-oh, Digimon, Rave Master, The Middle-Earth Saga, Star Wars, Marvel Comics, MCU, Superman, Batman, DC Comics, Metal Gear Series, Transformers Series, Devil May Cry, Bioshock Series, One Piece, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusko, Soul Eater.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:47 AM

I can't get to the essay the link points to.

But I do agree somewhat with the initial post that comments after it, though not with the diction or the tone used or the disdain at all, or calling her a non-Sakura fan: Chatte Georgiana's information isn't the most reliable, and as the brewer of some of the most questionable conspiracy theories, I question the source's integrity as a whole.

Un huh and your sources are more reliable, just asking.

#677 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

They are.

And yet you still have never bothered to provide anything.

2e5.gif

#678 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

My sources are kept simple:

The Naruto Manga. 

Sometimes other Canon Material (Gaiden, The Last and Boruto Movies, Canon Anime Episodes, Hiden books). 

And rarely Author interviews. 

Then show us these sources!

#679 The Doctor forever

The Doctor forever

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

My sources are kept simple:

The Naruto Manga. 

Sometimes other Canon Material (Gaiden, The Last and Boruto Movies, Canon Anime Episodes, Hiden books). 

And rarely Author interviews. 

I feel that this is the problem man you ignor all the interviews that Kishi has done or will do.

Its like any Interview Akira Toriyama or Oda do is just BS and we should not listen to what they say an interview is meant to help a reading know what the creator thinks and Feels take Toriyama's view on Goku being made a hero in DB Toriyama hated that saying Goku was not a hero in face Goku is very selfish only caring to fight and become stronger and as someone who never knew till I watched MasakX video I was shocked by this, hell there is many more as well in which Toriyama goes onto say that he hates Girl that are shy aka Hinata or other types like her.

Again the Author interviews gets an insight on how the writer is what they may do how long it will run for and what good things we can look forward too in the future and, this plays more when a stry comes to an end as well JRR Tolkin did it as did JK as well both gave insights on their thoughts to the story and the people they created.

Now you look at Kishi and the fact he makes fun of Sakura and laughs at in the face add to the sexist coment on Sakura not moving on from Sasuke, sorry but that just picking what YOU want and don't want to use.

#680 The Doctor forever

The Doctor forever

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

I mean, I could quote the page, post a link in the future in things I reference so you have a thing to see if that is what you are asking for. 

But the question was what my sources are, I did provide and show the names. I'm not sourcing a moment in the material, so it doesn't make sense to show that.

n general I'm talking about manga or anime, not interviews. I can use the interviews to supplement and reinforce a point, but they'll never be my base evidence. Yes, they offer insight, but in general? They don't support any of the arguments that people make, and it's better to go by what the material shows, and let the interviews add the oomph to the point. Official material tells you what NH development happened, for example, but the Manga shows it. I'd rather use the Manga then use the Last's databook. But hey, I can use both going forward, no problems with that. 

The Sakura quote is being misunderstood. I explained it already, but its about how love works, and that if Sakura moved on, it would be shallow. It has nothing to do with gender, yet some still attribute it that way. 

No it wouldn't moving on from a guy who tried to kill you as well as your friends and loved ones and finding someone better is not shallow, no woman or man would just fail in love with someone or stay in love with someone who tried to kill them, now if you look at all the reviews who did Naruto Edothetalker and King of lighting being two of them they ask why the hell is Sakura still in love with this guy and is she that stupid for keep loving Sasuke.

Everyone in my class when 693 came out hit their heads on the wall and asked how someone so smart can be so damm stupid in still loving a guy like this, and I know what you will say "Oh but they were not on the samer side." Sorry as someone in a class right now that wants to be a great writer one day that is stupid as hell.

If so that means all of the hate Sakura gets as you like to point out, is say it with me 'justified' Yes all the hate Sakura gets is justified she is just a stupid kitten who never grew up so yes Sakura now earns all the hate she gets as all she wanted was for Sasuke to kitten her, I mean even Kishi said he does not know how they got together and said they would break up, leaving Sakura all alone with a child most likely not her own.

So by your own logic then that means Bulma is a shallow women for leaving Yamcha, cause she loved him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users