78 replies to this topic

#61 Hak

Hak

Turmion kätilö

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

I started to think that Sakura doesn't even know tobi being Madara! So that will add some big wrench to their plan to kill Sasuke, they will be too shocked about the relevation... Or that's what I think...
Trust me, I'm an engineer!

#62 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Dec 12 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, but Kishimoto is only 8 years younger than me, so although he's a Japanese man, he's writing from really close to my generational perspective. His respect for female characters and downplaying the female fan service is more like what I see from western writers of my age range than those older or younger. Also the very serious look at how do bring about lasting peace in the world and wanting to make it happen, not just dreaming about it has more the color of GenX than Millennials writing, because of the different world we grew up in. Kishimoto, like me, grew up during the Cold War and that comes through in his writing Naruto. To Kishimoto and my generation, WWII was something our grandparents generation fought in, WWI something our great grandparents fought in, the Vietnam War happened when we were quite young (I was 9 when Saigon fell, Kishimoto was 1, it started years before either of us were born) but as children growing up we saw the lasting effect that war had around the world. Kishimoto is attempting to write a younger generation but it's really colored by being of a generation that grew up under the later Cold War. Naruto=Kishimoto, but also Shikaku=Kishimoto, Minato=Kishimoto, etc...

One Piece and Soul Eater, to me, seems to reflect the current young generation far more than Naruto does. Look at Narutofan, look at all the complaints by readers whining about the manga and going on and on about how much better One Piece is, etc... I've even seen a fair number of people even here complaining about the serious theme about peace- hating the Naruto and Nagato peace discussion.

It really resonated with me- it was like stepping back to the late 80's, trying to figure out how we could end fighting, dealing with cynical baby boomers jaded because dreaming of peace didn't make it happen, and people of my parents generation feeling hopeless about peace ever happening. (They'd seen WWII as children, the Korean War as young adults, and the Vietnam War as young parents, and were old enough that they'd lived through and remembered the whole Cold War), and the powerful politicians of the time had been adults during WWII and were set in a militaristic mindset (Danzo makes me think of that generation's mindset, Jiraiya's of my parents, and Nagato's of the Baby Boomers

Ah, but you almost forgot about one thing ciardha.... he's also writing about peace in the current generation's mindset. Because he needs to keep his position stable in Jump. Everybody remember the Obama fanart I requested? That was proof of how he was trying to appeal to the fans right now. So, in other words we don't really know what's in his mind right now. But the possibility of him being influenced by the things he saw about war is also possible.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#63 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Dec 14 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, but you almost forgot about one thing ciardha.... he's also writing about peace in the current generation's mindset. Because he needs to keep his position stable in Jump. Everybody remember the Obama fanart I requested? That was proof of how he was trying to appeal to the fans right now.

Um, not really, Japanese kids of your generation aren't that concerned with who the president of the US is, they are more concerned about what's going on in Japan. And no what fanart request?
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#64 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Dec 14 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um, not really, Japanese kids of your generation aren't that concerned with who the president of the US is, they are more concerned about what's going on in Japan. And no what fanart request?

I don't think you really know what our generation is about or what we think. You sit here and you think you know, but you don't.

You are just like my mother who sits and teaches me things of lessons that don't even concern with me. My mother and anyone of past generations does not know this generation and how we think. It's not your fault you're just too old to understand just like I am too young to understand old people's generation. Naruto is more our generation. We have dreams that far exceed our own powers and we think with enough courage and determination we can do anything. However, when reality hits us we are truly tested our strength. We are headlong and foolish, but we have heart to achieve. Our girls are emotionally confused to the point that it doesn't matter who loves them just who is the "hottest" and most "popular" and they only find out about the one who truly love them only after they get abused.

We also have emos who find no purpose in emotion or in life other than to find purpose because of some traumatic experience they had who sit here and believe that life is pointless. While some eventually some can be saved, others can not. We want to be heroes, but we soon realize in order to be a hero we have to do the most horrible thing we can think of or worse.
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#65 Froot

Froot

She's Certainly a Hurricane

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hey, anyone think we're far enough off topic yet? No? Let's keep trying.

I can understand where you guys are going with this, but... We're digressing. Tremendously.

#66 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Dec 14 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We also have emos who find no purpose in emotion or in life other than to find purpose because of some traumatic experience they had who sit here and believe that life is pointless. While some eventually some can be saved, others can not. We want to be heroes, but we soon realize in order to be a hero we have to do the most horrible thing we can think of or worse.

Calm down before somebody gets mad.

"Emo" is pretty much a derogatory term people throw around now. Easy. happy.gif

#67 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Please stick to the topic. Take the outside talk of old vs. new generations on the PMs, thank you.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#68 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Dec 14 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think you really know what our generation is about or what we think. You sit here and you think you know, but you don't.

It's okay Derock- I'll make this short. Every generation thinks this when they are young, that's part of growing up. But you find out around the time you hit 30 that you were wrong, your parents struggled with the same thing with their parents, they struggled with bad things in the world too. Especially from my parents generation onward (people born in the 1930's) the generation differences about the larger world are pretty minimal. And on topic here- Kishimoto even tells you this in Naruto- especially from the Sanin/Sakumo's generation onward.

The things you talked about your generation dealing with- sounds exactly like what my generation did. And my generation was also devestated by AIDS, it wiped out thousands of my generation in their teens and 20's before the drug cocktails that prolong HIV+ people's lives came about, we also in our teens and 20's lived in a world where we thought we might be blown up by nuclear bombs and we could do nothing to stop it- I had nightmares regularly about that in my teens and 20's that made me wake up in tears and shaking with fear, the only thing comparable in recent years to that was the terror of 9/11 and the aftermath, but we've processed that now, most people don't live in fear of terrorism 24/7 anymore, you couldn't do that in the 80's about the threat of nuclear war, it hung over you like a phantom mushroom cloud all the time, the fallout shelters of the 50's and 60's everyone knew were jokes, you'd be instafried no matter where you were, and if you lived you'd wish you hadn't because nuclear winter would mean you'd slowly starve to death. The slang term emo originated with my generation.... You know the grunge rock singers of the 90's are of my generation- Kurt Cobain was born just 5 months after me for example.

Now if you want to discuss this more, please PM me.

Edited by ciardha, 15 December 2009 - 12:50 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#69 Froot

Froot

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

Umm... (In an attempt to get back on topic,) is there going to be a chapter this week? I've been hearing a lot about a double chapter and that there will be two next week but none this week. Could somebody please clarify?

#70 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

The next issue of Shonen Jump is to be released in Japan on the 21st so yes we should have a chapter this week but then none again until the New Year

double issues do not mean double the chapters but that it is on the shelves for two weeks instead of the usual one

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#71 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (Verilance @ Dec 14 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The next issue of Shonen Jump is to be released in Japan on the 21st so yes we should have a chapter this week but then none again until the New Year

double issues do not mean double the chapters but that it is on the shelves for two weeks instead of the usual one

Exactly, but there is a chance we might get an early spoiler right around New Years Eve like we did at the end of 2008. (Naruto's heroic arrival during the Pain destruction of Konoha. I remember because it had a subtle narusaku moment. Sakura cries out for Naruto in the rubble of Konoha, and the next page shows the scroll on Naruto's back and part of his sage cloak flapping in the breeze... boom! end of chapter!)

#72 Froot

Froot

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

^ Oh, yeah, I remember that laugh.gif That moment is often forgotten.

#73 Hak

Hak

Turmion kätilö

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Dec 15 2009, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly, but there is a chance we might get an early spoiler right around New Years Eve like we did at the end of 2008. (Naruto's heroic arrival during the Pain destruction of Konoha. I remember because it had a subtle narusaku moment. Sakura cries out for Naruto in the rubble of Konoha, and the next page shows the scroll on Naruto's back and part of his sage cloak flapping in the breeze... boom! end of chapter!)

That was a year ago? Oh kitten I thought it was in early summer or something...
Trust me, I'm an engineer!

#74 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (Hak @ Dec 14 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was a year ago? Oh kitten I thought it was in early summer or something...

Heh, if it hadn't been such a dramatic moment involving Sakura and Naruto I might have forgotten exactly when it was too.

#75 Merger Knight

Merger Knight

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (RedDelicious @ Dec 13 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point. Kiba is actively searching for Sasuke now. With all that blood and sweat from
the kage fights, Kiba will probably find stinky boy fairly quickly (unless Madara pops him
back in the mask).

I had not considered that their team might run across Sasuke/Madara/Danzou so soon.
That would be very, very bad for Sakura's health.

Not to metion the health of her helpers, cause they might fall before she does.

#76 RedDelicious

RedDelicious

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Merger Knight @ Dec 15 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to metion the health of her helpers, cause they might fall before she does.

Maybe it is due to that other thread about Naruto manga dreams, but I have a (day)dream about chapter 476 a_plotting.gif :
- Madara sucks Danzo into his mask, because that arm is just too creepy to look at for more than one page
- Karin & Madara sneak off for some made-up reason, so Sasuke is by himself
- Team Sakura shows up
- Kiba is almost knocked out by Sasuke's "gym sweat" stench, then actually knocked out
- Sakura is knocked to the ground, with Sasuke about to apply a chidori

- Lee knocks Sasuke away, then goes into a long speech about how Sakura has inspired him
- at the end of the speech, Lee's face is photoshopped on top of Hinata's body, from chapter 437 when she says "Because I love you"
- and then Lee would get knocked out by Sasuke

#77 Mugen no Neko

Mugen no Neko

♥ ~ Dreaming

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (RedDelicious @ Dec 16 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Kiba is almost knocked out by Sasuke's "gym sweat" stench, then actually knocked out

That would be tooooo hilarious tongue.gif
meh.

#78 Merger Knight

Merger Knight

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (RedDelicious @ Dec 15 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it is due to that other thread about Naruto manga dreams, but I have a (day)dream about chapter 476 a_plotting.gif :
- Madara sucks Danzo into his mask, because that arm is just too creepy to look at for more than one page
- Karin & Madara sneak off for some made-up reason, so Sasuke is by himself
- Team Sakura shows up
- Sakura is knocked to the ground, with Sasuke about to apply a chidori

- Lee knocks Sasuke away, then goes into a long speech about how Sakura has inspired him
- at the end of the speech, Lee's face is photoshopped on top of Hinata's body, from chapter 437 when she says "Because I love you"
- and then Lee would get knocked out by Sasuke

so would Sasuke kill or at least try to kill them since they are from the leaf village or spare them cause he thinks they arent even worth killing cause he thinks they are weaklings?

#79 RedDelicious

RedDelicious

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (Merger Knight @ Dec 15 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so would Sasuke kill or at least try to kill them since they are from the leaf village or spare them cause he thinks they arent even worth killing cause he thinks they are weaklings?

Hmm... Well, we know that Sakura must really love Sasuke because she wants to kill him. headscratch.gif
And so far, Sasuke has not tried to kill anyone else the way he has tried to kill Naruto.
Draw your own conclusion. wacko.gif

wink.gif

(In all seriousness, I think Sasuke would go for the last option.
He seems to think of everyone as a weakling. People fall into two categories:
- the ones he treats like trash, because they lost to him
- and the ones he wants to kill, because in his mind, he can't be losing fights to weaklings

That's why I think the only redemption for Sasuke is on his deathbed, when he doesn't have
a reason to hate/be afraid anymore. As long as Sasuke is alive and healthy, he will never be able
to accept Naruto as an equal, only as a threat to his ego.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users