• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Jan 17 2012, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been asked about this tonight, but I cannot do this for a couple of reasons:

1. Not enough notice. It would take time to prepare H&E for a blackout, and it would also be good manners to give at least a few days advance warning to visitors so they know what to expect.

2. The SOPA blackout is for 12 hours US time, 8AM EST until 8PM EST. If I shut down H&E, it would be down for longer than those times due to work commitments.

Needless to say, we're completely against SOPA, but we can't simply do a full shutdown when we have so little time to prepare.

Thank you very much.

#42 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

I would be lying if the inevitable freakout that will be caused by tomorrows blackout didn't intrigue me. Poor folks without there internet.
\

#43 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Jan 17 2012, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to warn everyone, tomorrow a lot of websites will go on a 12 hour blackout to protest against SOPA:

http://sopastrike.com/

This includes Google, so you'll most likely find your web browsing affected in some way. I'm not sure who else is taking part.

I think the idea looks good on paper, but it seems like it'd be a real nuisance in practicality. 8 AM to 8 PM EST covers the entire workday for most Americans, and the strike is going to real pain for those of us who rely on the internet heavily for work or school. I already know not being able to use Google till 7 PM CST tomorrow is going a big headache for me.
I'm not really against the idea per se, but, like Kamina-Yoshi, I'm not too sure what it will accomplish, now that the bill is essentially dead. I suppose it'll be good to send a message, but I don't know if shutting down some of these sites for a whole workday is really necessary to accomplish that.

As for H & E, it'd be interesting, since I imagine this site gets more traffic on Wednesdays, what with new manga chapter releases and all. It might be for the better, if there's another random shipping scare in the manga. That way people can vent somewhere else till the site's back up. laugh.gif But I guess it'd be a little sad for those who have blogs on this site (and really can't go a day without posting tongue.gif).

Edited by Boom...Winning, 17 January 2012 - 10:31 PM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#44 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

i don't think this blackout is necessary. Considering that SOPA won't pass, since they're careers rest on they're vote. Now that doesn't mean its the end of SOPA, ounce election season is over, and Obama or whatever is in office, you will ounce again see something similar in Congress, and if Obama is reelected he will withdraw his opposition, and sign it into law.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#45 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

PIPA needs attention now.

#46 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:07 AM

The official theme of stomping out the SOPA law:

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#47 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Topics merged.

#48 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

http://thehill.com/b...ebsites-go-dark

An update. A bunch of Republican Senators withdrew their support (Rubio had already done so prior to the protest ocurring) from PIPA. Rand Paul has threatened to fillibuster it.

Over in the House, Boehner and Cantor appear to be putting on the breaks, while Lamar Smith is claiming it will go foward at some point.

#49 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thank you for the information, Nate.

In related news... Megaupload has been shut down.

Megaupload Shut-Down

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#50 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jan 19 2012, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://thehill.com/b...ebsites-go-dark

An update. A bunch of Republican Senators withdrew their support (Rubio had already done so prior to the protest ocurring) from PIPA. Rand Paul has threatened to fillibuster it.

Over in the House, Boehner and Cantor appear to be putting on the breaks, while Lamar Smith is claiming it will go foward at some point.

Better and better. smile.gif It sounded like some of them were surprised at the huge uproar. Wikipedia alone claims that eight million people followed its instructions to contact their representatives with their protestations.

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jan 19 2012, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for the information, Nate.

In related news... Megaupload has been shut down.

Megaupload Shut-Down

Yeah, I read about that just now on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-16642369

The news wasn't a surprise, but the timing was. It was only a matter of time before sites like Megaupload found themselves in hot water, what with the sheer amount of pirated material they host.

#51 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:21 AM

The kittens shut down MegaUpload...
Oh, it is freaking on now.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#52 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

Anonymous has already started its attacks.

http://www.washingto...YODQ_story.html

The internet has become a civil war. It doesn't matter because like i said before we are already in a police state.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#53 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jan 20 2012, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anonymous has already started its attacks.

http://www.washingto...YODQ_story.html

The internet has become a civil war. It doesn't matter because like i said before we are already in a police state.

Go, Anonymous, go! Tear them ten new @$$holes!

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 20 January 2012 - 06:49 PM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#54 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

I will say the Feds had it coming.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#55 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Thats right Anon take them down!

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#56 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

SOPA HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN

http://latimesblogs....t-protests.html

Edited by Insurrection, 20 January 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#57 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jan 20 2012, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're a little late we already know. tongue.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#58 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

I will tolerate Anon's meager existence for the purpose of avenging Megaupload.com (main source of my KHR! episode raws :/); after, he can go back to his 9 to 5 job working at his local fast-food restaurant.

#59 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

I have to agree Anon too this time, taking down Megaupload is going too far now, and just because the feds "believe" they are right into doing this, doesn't mean they are.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#60 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

I can not believe you are all here cheering on an abusive, illegal hacking group like Anonymous mellow.gif

Have you all forgotten that these are the same a$$holes you were ripping apart just a few months ago for breaking into Sony and stealing millions of people's credit card info and emails? For crying out loud Megaupload was ONE BIG copyright infringement. Practically EVERYTHING they had up was illegal. Movie companies and music companies DID lose millions and millions of dollars because of this site. I just can't believe that you all would cheer for a group that caused so much harm to people JUST LIKE YOU by hacking their information, because they hacked the people who busted a KNOWN illegal file-sharing website. You're all just mad because you got stolen movies, songs, etc for FREE and feel that you are somehow entitled to these so-called 'free' things that these companies had to PAY to have made. It's absolutely and completely ludicrous that you all cheering on these jerks WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU one single bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users