Close
Photo

General Tech Thread

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

Poll: General Tech Thread (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you own a Crackberry? (Blackberry)

1. Yes. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No. (22 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Jan 22 2011, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can use a DMZ or port forwarding on your router.

I recommend using the DMZ, much easier.

http://news.softpedi...360-71775.shtml

If you need any help you can always hit me up on here/XBL.

Skip the steps though on the port forwarding and UPNP though, dunno why they put it in there. You just need the DMZ open.

Thanks, I'll give it a try in a bit and let you know what happens smile.gif

#142 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:18 AM

Sorry, after I read through all of it it looked like a crappy guide.
I edited it to a link to the Xbox forums, it's a guide on how to port forward.

But if that doesn't work I can spend like 5 minutes to write up something really quick on how to open a DMZ, assuming your router has it.

#143 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Jan 22 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, after I read through all of it it looked like a crappy guide.
I edited it to a link to the Xbox forums, it's a guide on how to port forward.

But if that doesn't work I can spend like 5 minutes to write up something really quick on how to open a DMZ, assuming your router has it.

Cool,I'll check all of this out tomorrow, Sunday smile.gif

#144 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

Does anyone know if there's a way to "scale" the windows (like my Chrome browser) to a smaller size so that I can fit more on my screen? I have my PC connected to my TV and it's at the highest setting (1360*768)

Basically I'm wanting to know if there's a way to get my windows to be display at say... half the size they are without changing the resolution.

#145 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Feb 2 2011, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know if there's a way to "scale" the windows (like my Chrome browser) to a smaller size so that I can fit more on my screen? I have my PC connected to my TV and it's at the highest setting (1360*768)

Basically I'm wanting to know if there's a way to get my windows to be display at say... half the size they are without changing the resolution.

to be honest, I'm not sure what you're asking advice about. Since as far as scaling your windows, you can just manually does it (You know... un-maximize it then just drag the corner until you get the size you want)

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#146 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Feb 5 2011, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to be honest, I'm not sure what you're asking advice about. Since as far as scaling your windows, you can just manually does it (You know... un-maximize it then just drag the corner until you get the size you want)

Okay...
You know how you can open a photo in a photo editor that's 500x500 and scale it down by half to 250x250, so you essentially have the same picture, just smaller?
I'm wondering if you can do something like that with web browsers and stuff.

I know you can grab the corner and drag it... but then it cuts out parts of the web page on the side.

Edited by Kyuudaime, 08 February 2011 - 05:42 AM.

#147 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Feb 8 2011, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay...
You know how you can open a photo in a photo editor that's 500x500 and scale it down by half to 250x250, so you essentially have the same picture, just smaller?
I'm wondering if you can do something like that with web browsers and stuff.

I know you can grab the corner and drag it... but then it cuts out parts of the web page on the side.

Hmm... now thats more understandable... I did heard that there are several apps that you can use to do that trick automatically, but I'm afraid I have no idea what they are. Depends on what OS are you running too, since if I remember correctly, Windows 7 already have that function installed on (wouldn't know for sure since I'm still stuck with XP...)

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

#148 Torxe

Torxe

World's greatest critic <boragnarok>

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Games, PC, fora, terraria, Bo-karate, meditation

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

Try pressing Ctrl and scrolling to zoom in and zoom out when the window is in the correct size eventually you'll get (the content) in into the correct size to see the whole webpage without sideways scroll bars.

Edited by Torxe, 10 February 2011 - 10:12 AM.

In support of the Sakura we once knew:

Sakura-killing-hinata-naruto-shippuuden-

#149 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Torxe @ Feb 10 2011, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try pressing Ctrl and scrolling to zoom in and zoom out when the window is in the correct size eventually you'll get (the content) in into the correct size to see the whole webpage without sideways scroll bars.

Ah, that helps actually. Thanks.

#150 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

Hmm, been so long since someone posted in this thread. I've sold my old laptop to get a new one:

TOSHIBA QOSMIO F750

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 processor 2630QM (2.0GHz - 2.90GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache)
Screen: 15.6" Widescreen HD LED Backlit Display (1366 x 768), supports 720p
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 (4 GB + 4GB) (1333Mhz) (Expandable up to 8 GB each)
HDD: 1 Tb SATA
VGA: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT540M 4095MB Total (4095MB Total: 1024MB discrete memory + 3071MB shared memory)
Optical: Blu-Ray ROM/DVD SuperMulti Double/Dual Layer Drive
Speaker: Premium harman/kardon® speakers
3D availability: 3D Output to 3D TV

Yes, I'm ABSOLUTELY loving it. The price? 1600 AUD

#151 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jul 19 2011, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, been so long since someone posted in this thread. I've sold my old laptop to get a new one:

TOSHIBA QOSMIO F750

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 processor 2630QM (2.0GHz - 2.90GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache)
Screen: 15.6" Widescreen HD LED Backlit Display (1366 x 768), supports 720p
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 (4 GB + 4GB) (1333Mhz) (Expandable up to 8 GB each)
HDD: 1 Tb SATA
VGA: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT540M 4095MB Total (4095MB Total: 1024MB discrete memory + 3071MB shared memory)
Optical: Blu-Ray ROM/DVD SuperMulti Double/Dual Layer Drive
Speaker: Premium harman/kardon® speakers
3D availability: 3D Output to 3D TV

Yes, I'm ABSOLUTELY loving it. The price? 1600 AUD

WOW. Good Price for that! Congrats!

I was thinking of getting a 7200rpm 1tb, but its a 200 dollars compared to a 5400rpm 1tb ($100)...can you really tell the difference between the two in a laptop? :O

Edited by JoHamSandwich, 21 July 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#152 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Jul 22 2011, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking of getting a 7200rpm 1tb, but its a 200 dollars compared to a 5400rpm 1tb ($100)...can you really tell the difference between the two in a laptop? :O

On a laptop? None.

Specification-wise though, 7200 rpm HD is at least a good 1.5x faster processing than a 5400rpm (which is useful if you're going to copy/paste/backup large datas on it) but on the minus side, they consume about twice the amount of power as the 5400 one, that why they are more suitable for desktops with their huge power supply and tolerance. As far as laptops are concerned, even the best of their power supply is mediocre compared to desktop ones and therefore they won't be able to really use the 7200 rpm to their fullest. In fact, I don't think its a stretch to say that when you plug em at the laptop, there will be no difference between the two.

Edited by BlackLightning, 23 July 2011 - 04:03 AM.

#153 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Jul 21 2011, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jul 23 2011, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a laptop? None.

Specification-wise though, 7200 rpm HD is at least a good 1.5x faster processing than a 5400rpm (which is useful if you're going to copy/paste/backup large datas on it) but on the minus side, they consume about twice the amount of power as the 5400 one, that why they are more suitable for desktops with their huge power supply and tolerance. As far as laptops are concerned, even the best of their power supply is mediocre compared to desktop ones and therefore they won't be able to really use the 7200 rpm to their fullest. In fact, I don't think its a stretch to say that when you plug em at the laptop, there will be no difference between the two.

On laptops, you'll only notice a difference if you have a super high end one. I would save the money and just get the 5400 one.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#154 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Jul 23 2011, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On laptops, you'll only notice a difference if you have a super high end one. I would save the money and just get the 5400 one.

Ok... how about a Hybrid vs. 5400rpm? I'm deciding whether to get a 500gb hybrid or a 1tb 5400rpm. HELP MEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by JoHamSandwich, 23 July 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#155 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:52 AM

Hybrid and the 5400rpm have different usage:

The main difference for the two is that Hybrid can adjust its own processing speed depending on the memory that you're using, meaning that if its empty or when you're using low memory programs like word document, etc , it automatically use the low rpm while if its full or if you're using high memory usage program like HD gaming (Portal, WoW, other along the line), it automatically increase the rpm. Its usually less power consuming and more reliable if your laptop is portable (if you plug it on and off everyday to bring it to work).

On the downside, its max rpm tend to be lower than the 5400rpm (Most of them are around 3000 - 4500rpm, 5000 at the highest) and it takes some times for it to adjust itself which means it takes several minutes longer to execute the program.Not to mention that it also tend to be a bit peaky and annoying if you're playing Portal or Counter Strike since if you change from standing still to walking, it sometimes will froze or worse, choppy gameplay and... well, most likely your character gonna get a bullet on the head by then.

On the other hand, the 5400rpm is much more fixed rpm and memory usage, it doesn't matter if you're using the low memory program or high memory one since the HD will go at full force all the time. Of course, that means its more reliable if you're using your laptop purely for all out hardcore gaming but it also drains the battery life that much faster meaning your laptop have to be plugged on the power 90% of the time of not more.

Edited by BlackLightning, 26 July 2011 - 02:53 AM.

#156 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jul 25 2011, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hybrid and the 5400rpm have different usage:

The main difference for the two is that Hybrid can adjust its own processing speed depending on the memory that you're using, meaning that if its empty or when you're using low memory programs like word document, etc , it automatically use the low rpm while if its full or if you're using high memory usage program like HD gaming (Portal, WoW, other along the line), it automatically increase the rpm. Its usually less power consuming and more reliable if your laptop is portable (if you plug it on and off everyday to bring it to work).

On the downside, its max rpm tend to be lower than the 5400rpm (Most of them are around 3000 - 4500rpm, 5000 at the highest) and it takes some times for it to adjust itself which means it takes several minutes longer to execute the program.Not to mention that it also tend to be a bit peaky and annoying if you're playing Portal or Counter Strike since if you change from standing still to walking, it sometimes will froze or worse, choppy gameplay and... well, most likely your character gonna get a bullet on the head by then.

On the other hand, the 5400rpm is much more fixed rpm and memory usage, it doesn't matter if you're using the low memory program or high memory one since the HD will go at full force all the time. Of course, that means its more reliable if you're using your laptop purely for all out hardcore gaming but it also drains the battery life that much faster meaning your laptop have to be plugged on the power 90% of the time of not more.

I see. Since I somewhat do a bit of gaming on this laptop, I should probably stick to a HDD then instead of a hybrid. Thanks!

#157 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:09 AM

I guess this is the right thread for this kind of question....

I'm putting together my own computer. I'm reclaiming a Coolermaster Stacker full-tower case (a legacy model, but it's just a case after all, and it was better than the case used for two more recent computers I've bought\built). I was going to re-use the included power supply, too -- it was supposed to be an 850 watt power supply (which was more than I needed), and it was running fine when the computer I'm reclaiming it from was retired. Turns out, when I pulled it from the case to test it, it's actually a 250 watt power supply (which might explain some issues I had with that computer when it was still in use, but let's not get into that), which is insufficient for this computer (it isn't a gaming system, but I still estimate it requires about 450 watts, so I want a 500-600 watt power supply).

So, turns out I need to replace the power supply. I know next to nothing about power supplies, beyond how to estimate the number of watts you need for your system (I usually just use whatever comes with the case). It's a bit of an obscure product to be reviewed, so... uh... anyone got any recommendations for decent, reliable, middle-of-the-road 500-600 watt power supply?

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#158 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:22 AM

Hmm, thats a bit hard for me since I'm not one who pay lots of attention on power supplies. Well, if this helps, I'm using a powermax power supply, I'm not sure how many watts in it but its decent enough to work on an average gaming computer so I guess the power should be decent enough. If you want to get something a bit on the high end, I think I found a Gigabyte one which can go up to 720W on quite a decent price on ebay

#159 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

The most important part in picking a power supply is the amps and rails. However, most of the time if you buy a good brand, the amps and rails are distributed just fine.

Good brands to get XFX, Corsair, Seasonic or Antec.

#160 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

Just as an FYI, I have now made the purchase: An Antec Earthwatts EA-500D Green 500 watt Bronze-Certified power supply. I also decided to consolidate the originally seperate DVD-RW and Blueray drives into one device, which will reduce the recommended wattage load a little as well.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users