• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:50 AM

Atlantis- Found on Google Earth?

Lately, it seems as if the Sun is printing alot of tabloid nonsense, but I can't deny the amusement I get from reading it, and the child in me really wants this to be true.

Aeronautical engineer Bernie Bamford claims to have discovered the lost city of Atlantis. How did he do this? Well, he claims to have found it while playing around on Google Earth.

Is this Atlantis? --Click here to view--

Apparently, Google has mapped the ocean floor using boats with sonars, and the grid Bernie Bamford found appears to be manmade. It is located in the area known as Madeira Abyssal Plane, which is just outside the Canary Islands and several hundred kilometers outside the west coast of Africa. Most experts on the area claims that this might be a lost island, but that this discovery is many times smaller than what Atlantis was supposed to be.

Google Earth has been in the media alot since it's birth. Among other things, it has taken a photo of a woman sunbathing in her own back yard in Germany, and discovered a huge drug farm. Is it really unthinkable that this free tool might lend a hand in one of the greatest archeological discoveries ever? This island is supposed to have drowned 12000 years ago, so it's about time we found it!

As I said, the kid in me really wants this to be real. When I was little, the legends about Atlantis was always fun to read about, and I've done a couple of projects on the matter in school. I would love for this to be real, althought I won't be holding my breath. What do you guys think?

Source: The Sun discovers Atlantis

Daily Mail says Atlantis on Google does not compute!

#2 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, working out, and being online. :3

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:06 AM

DAMN. That's really cool. x]

I hope so, even though the most I know about Atlantis is that cartoon movie.

narusakuct7.gif

#3 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:22 AM

Oooh, pretty interesting~ :O

I usually pick up The Sun for a good laugh (like a few days ago, I read about how a small child was the reincarnation of a demon), but there are times when I can't help but wonder the truth about this stuff. Although it's mostly far off the rocker... isn't it fun just to think about it? And Atlantis for this matter; it used to be a dream of mines to find the lost city since it was either that or go looking for life on the moon!

I wonder what else you might be able to find on Google Earth? x]

*ideas are beginning to break out*
tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#4 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

Eh I'm not really a believer in all those myths....now if you'll excuse me I'm going to a party with Bigfoot and Nessie.

uc.png

#5 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

Unfortunately, it turned out that the grid was an artifact of the sonar mapping. The lines you see are actually the routes the boat took while mapping. happy.gif

Still, the thought of discovering another long-lost civilsation always brings a smile to my face. It was a nice change from the usual gloomy news. smile.gif

You know, if that was actually Atlantis, it would be the size of Wales! That's one massive city! An underwater depth of 3.5 miles would also be a bit too much for Indiana Jones. tongue.gif

#6 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

You know, Hollywood is trying to do a sequel of Journey to the Center of the Earth with Brendan Fraiser. This time, it's the journey of Atlantis. tongue.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#7 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

Figures, people see some line segments and jump to conclusions.
QUOTE (UzumakiEdward85 @ Feb 21 2009, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh I'm not really a believer in all those myths....now if you'll excuse me I'm going to a party with Bigfoot and Nessie.

And I wasn't invited?
:*(* * * *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users