• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:20 AM

Rant.

Edited by Kamina-Yoshi, 01 December 2013 - 04:20 AM.

#82 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

It doesn't seem like many people are peeking in here, and it is pass Saturday, so I'm gonna dispose of the spoiler tags. 

Well, maybe we can dispose of spoiler tags this Saturday, since it will have been a week?  Unless, that is, several people here are actually waiting for the DVD before they see it?

Well, about The Hurt Doctor...

But it wasn't his death that caused the regeneration. The crash made him proper dead -- making it sound like he died during his regeneration, which makes sense, being piled on after the crash too. The sisterhood pulled him back from this death and then forced regeneration with the drink, which means they changed him while he was the 8 into a different version of 8, one more suitable for war. 

Also wanted to bring up the topic of which Ten this is. I'm going to take a guess and say that this is Ten from between his last specials and End of Time. If it weren't for Donna Noble's immediate appearance I'd say this is possibly right after Doomsday. The version in the film seems a bit more embittered than he generally is, almost has a bit of Eccleston about him, and he's a little bit more pouty and whiney. 

I was hoping for a bit of explanation as to how they got out of his timeline that we saw in "the Name of the Doctor". It seemed like a big deal for them to enter it, but it's kind of just skirted in the 50th. Will they address it in the X-mas special?

I'm excited for the Christmas special now. The synopsis I've found online make it sound cheesy. Christmas planet? Probably not legit. Regeneration episode!

I'm shooting for SD Comic Con this next year. I am sad that I never got to meet Matt at a con. Seems like a generally cool bloke. Wish him the best in Psycho the musical and hope his Ryan Gosling movie turns out to be awesome. I can't remember if he's the crazy one in the film or not.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 02 December 2013 - 12:41 AM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#83 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

BBC One x-mas trailer!

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

ClaraxDoctor fans rejoice! :07 into the trailer. I'm pretty sure it's just an awkward situation they both get stuck in that they're pretending to follow through on, but I hope they get a kiss before he's gone. :( I'm all for moving on from the Doctor having "companion" companions, but why not with a big last kiss!

Edit: Would probably help if I posted the link.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 05 December 2013 - 03:12 AM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#84 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

Squee!

#85 StrikerTheNoble

StrikerTheNoble

The guy who changes his obsesions way too often.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts
  • Interests:Winning the fanboy rivalry with FoolishYoungling

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

Tonight we say goodnight to one of the greatest doctors of our time.

Matt Smith you`ve done a great job as the doctor. So now I bid you good night. Rest easy 11. You`ve earned it.

tumblr_nb92ixykOu1s7xenwo1_400.gif

OTP: NaruSaku; Favorite crack pairing: NaruIno

Runner-ups:AstridxHiccup (How to train your dragon),SusanxReed, WallyxKuki (Kids next door);  AshxMisty; ThorxSif

#86 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

Man I'm going to miss Matt Smith's Doctor, his and David Tennet's were my Doctors. 

#87 StrikerTheNoble

StrikerTheNoble

The guy who changes his obsesions way too often.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts
  • Interests:Winning the fanboy rivalry with FoolishYoungling

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

Man I'm going to miss Matt Smith's Doctor, his and David Tennet's were my Doctors. 

Agree completely. I absolutely love ALL the reboot doctors. 

Vale novem

Vale decem

Vale undecim

Edited by StrikerTheNoble, 26 December 2013 - 12:48 AM.

tumblr_nb92ixykOu1s7xenwo1_400.gif

OTP: NaruSaku; Favorite crack pairing: NaruIno

Runner-ups:AstridxHiccup (How to train your dragon),SusanxReed, WallyxKuki (Kids next door);  AshxMisty; ThorxSif

#88 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Now I wonder how the twelfth doctor will do, his actor is Scottish isn't he? 

#89 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

I wish they could do the farewell like David's, with three episodes to bid him farewell. He deserves as much! This was such a rushed and disjointed farewell episode. I won't go into details as to why until there's been plenty of time for people to see it.

I do like how Moffat worked in the crack in the wall. Which makes me wonder if he has actually had this idea since season 5. Of the NuWho regenerations, this one ranks dead last for me, even though I liked Matt Smith as the Doctor and was sad to hear of his departing the show.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#90 MakeMoneyEatRice

MakeMoneyEatRice

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Now I wonder how the twelfth doctor will do, his actor is Scottish isn't he?

Yes, Capaldi's Scottish. I must say I'm really missing Matt's Doctor right now, it's only been two days after the Christmas special. Probably one of the best incarnation of the Doctor! The youthful energy Smith brought to the show was addicting.

Do mind me being here...

#91 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Yes, Capaldi's Scottish. I must say I'm really missing Matt's Doctor right now, it's only been two days after the Christmas special. Probably one of the best incarnation of the Doctor! The youthful energy Smith brought to the show was addicting.

I agree. It was a contagious thing. He was crazy and didn't care how anyone viewed him. He danced to his own beat. I'm excited to see Capaldi's Doctor now. Gah! Sneak peaks can't come soon enough.

After the regeneration happened he had this crazy look in his eyes, not menacing, just crazed. I was like "No, Peri! Run away!"

Edited by chouzu_tao, 04 January 2014 - 02:31 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#92 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

Well, here we are. Looks like a tease of the beginning of season 8 where the TARDIS crashes. 

Can't wait can't wait. Especially for the Robin Hood episode. Jenna looks stunning in that and I think the Daleks make a return. It'll be interesting to see how Capaldi's Doctor deals with them.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#93 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

That teaser is not enough! Dang it why can't be back in spring like it was for Russel's era.

#94 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Woah... completely missed this rant.

Rant.

I'm confused by this rant. How can something be super-campy and super-serious?

I will say I disagree with the overacting and how his Doctor seemed to not take anything seriously, but that's your opinion and I respect that (no sarcasm or bitterness intended, but you never know how these things can come across online).

It is true that Matt's Doctor is very silly and with the material he is given, it would be extremely easy to slip into "over-acting". His Doctor is verbose, energetic, and sporadic, but that is his copping mechanism for dealing with the things in his past, the people he's lost, and the attitude that he would always try to be a forward thinker, living in his present conditions while calculating for future issues. He's a man who's mind is operating on a much faster level then ours, it's just that at times this Doctor lets it run away from him.

I feel like scenes like this...

...are done well and are understated, which the scenes need to be.

There's a scene in the 6th season of the new series where River, Amy, and Rory see the Doctor die. They keep this information from him while traveling to a time to figure out who is behind it. The Doctor senses this and plays along for a bit trying to get information. When he's read all the cryptic signs he can, he calls them out, switching from the goofy loquacious man to a short and dangerous one who demands answers. All the Doctors have these sides to them. They are humorous and eccentric but can turn on a dime when crossed. 

I don't think Matt's Doctor is so huge a departure from other Doctors in the past. He's just this generation's representation of the things Doctor Who has represented in the past while bringing his own things to the table. Many of the Doctors had a weirdness to them and a sense of humor that often annoyed whoever was the straight-man around them. Look at Brigadier. He played the straight-man to a couple Doctors. They all ramble to some degree. 

Silly/ Rambly Doctor:

The First More professorly Doctor

The Second, who Matt loved, was an infamous clown. <-- this would have been considered a departure too then

The Third, was a return to a more serious time, more spy-action thriller/ james bondie.

Fourth Doctor examples in this one:

Also, see his introduction. That ramble, with more to come...

He was also famously quoted as saying, "What's the point of growing up if you can't be childish sometimes?"

The Fifth: Celery. <-- not as familiar with this one

The Sixth Return to a more petulant Doctor, but this is definitely where production issues start coming into play as the production studio wrestles with what the Doctor should be. 

The Seventh, Sylvester McCoy loved humor, and tried to include physical humor where he could. Yes it took a darker turn, but this series was rife with re-writes and behind the scenes inconsistencies due to some of the studio heads not really like Doctor Who.

The Eighth Silly, even after his amnesia.

Moody Doctors:

First/ Third/ Fourth/ Sixth/ Seventh (though he's more calculating with his actions)

I'm also confused by your other statement.

Rant.

I think here you say that Doctor Who itself is now only silly fan-fiction. I guess I'm curious what your definition of fan-fiction is. To me fan-fiction is basically a fan's take on the universe that includes what rules they need to make the story mold to what they think the Whoverse should be, retconning/ reshaping what they need to to make things fit their story ideas. But below, I think you say that you want them to open dialogue to fans like you, to mold it to what you think the Whoverse should be. 

Rant.

I mean, I think Doctor Who is being written by fans of the show from previous incarnations. Obviously Steven is one, and I believe Mark is one as well. So in a way, it is fan-fiction, but that can probably be said of many of the writers of previous Doctors. 

I also was wondering what you mean by commercialized, tumblr/tween orientated. Do you mean they cater everything to teens for the ratings? I mean... That's TV. From it's earliest incarnation I believe the show has most often drawn younger audiences. I think in one of the interviews, the cast and writers were asked what was different from US and UK fans, and they said the fans in the US skew a little bit older. That aside, show me a television show that has never had a specific demographic they targeted going into production that didn't fight tooth and nail to hold onto once they had it, and I'll show you an art house movie that says they don't even need an audience. That being said, I still find there are things in the show for all ages. I don't think that everything they do is from the suggestion of fans, and while I don't think there's anything wrong with collecting a paycheck, I think it would be insulting for anyone to suggest that they have no artistic pride in what they do, should anyone suggest that.

That teaser is not enough! Dang it why can't be back in spring like it was for Russel's era.

I wasn't here for the Russell era, but did having the show premiere in the spring create a small break between the first and second half of the show? I know that's something Moffat wants to avoid this time with it starting in fall.

Also, this statement...

Kamina-Yoshi, on 30 Nov 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:snapback.png

Reading from the synposis and people's talk about the 50th Anniversary, I'm about ready to say that Doctor Who is dead. It's just dead; it's idiotic, it's fan-fiction level lunacy. 

makes it seem like you wrote off the 50th Anniversary special as fan-fiction lunacy, without ever even seeing it for yourself.

I'm working my way through the older series and I like both the new stuff and old stuff. There are things that I like and don't like that I see along both series. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. To me I think one of the reasons why the show has endured and ultimately the show's appeal itself is that it recreates itself and can usually find a new audience while keeping the much of the older one -- that there isn't one definitive formula for the Doctor's success. 

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#95 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

New trailer for for series 8.

#96 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

I'm super intrigued by this new Doctor! I wonder what he means by "time to do something about it." It'll be interesting to see the evolution of Clara's relationship to the Doctor. 

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#97 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

First and foremost, this episode is like every after-regeneration episode. The Doctor is not who The Doctor will actually be in the season. There are flashes of who he could and may be, so as far as Capaldi as The Doctor goes, I'll reserve judgement for a few more episodes. That said, this feels like fragmented. I'll go into more depth later, I just wanted to toss my two cents in and see if anyone else has seen it too.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#98 dylanrivers10000

dylanrivers10000

Blow this up like pyromania-def leppard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Location:on the moon shadow and i blew up the earth, now along side the ENTIRE CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE, and the A-TEAM
  • Interests:proving people that being stereotypical about me and bashing me is impolite, and is just rude!!!

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:34 AM

too bad i dont get doctor who, but i do get the who, teenage wasteland lol

Neil-Young-Rockin-In-The-Fre-101219.jpg

#99 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

Who else here ships Rose and the Doctor? Nobody? Anybody? Okay... I'll just leave this here and cry by myself.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#100 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Who else here ships Rose and the Doctor? Nobody? Anybody? Okay... I'll just leave this here and cry by myself.

I do. Well... I don't know. While I liked 10 and Rose I found Clara and 11 more entertaining.

So here are my full thoughts on "Deep Breath".

The episode itself is used for everyone (characters and audience alike) to come to terms with the Doctor's regeneration. Surprisingly it is also an episode with the Doctor coming to terms with his own regeneration. Clara's confusion is understandable but amidst the Doctor's brain reforming he is actually unsure who he is and why he looks the way he does. In a lot of ways this Doctor seems very insecure, about his nature and about his face even. He's logical and doesn't have time to waste and once he realizes his insecurity is his weakness he'll probably go extremely the opposite way and not care at all what any one thinks or how any one feels. While it is a decent introduction to Peter Capaldi's 12th Doctor, there are a lot of clunky bits. I'll be discussing spoilers so if you haven't seen the episode itself, please skip the below.

Thoughts with Images
It’s got good moments like the Doctor hating being wrong in public, but there are a lot of confusing non-sensical moments. I’ll hold out hope that those moments come into play later.

Even as a regeneration episode I’d give it a 2 out of 5.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 29 August 2014 - 08:05 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users