• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

I think Jake from State Farm is a better character than Hinata. :laugh:

509356167_759751.gif?4

#42 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:44 PM

i've always thought Sakura was more on par with Orihime, especially in that they are both characters who make a ton of mistakes. Yeah, their personalities are different, but as far as room for growth, they are the types that have a lot of potential. I know Rukia has way more fans than Orihime, like Hinata seems to have way more fans than Sakura. Rukia is actually more static of a character than Orihime - she's a veteran fighter, after all. Do people prefer female characters who largely remain the same throughout the story? Sometimes it seems that way @_@

I'll be honest, I don't know how to take Bleach and its characters because I stopped watching it after a while. I don't really think it is fair to compare these two series because Ichigo is nothing like Naruto either. They do have some common traits, but at the core they are different characters. Orihime and Rukia are not even close to Hinata and Sakura in any way.  I am also not familiar with the pairing wars with Bleach cause I didn't ship anything from it. The only thing I remember was Orihime confessing her love to an unconcious ichigo and her trying to kiss him, but that's it. I was just like "That's neat" and really thought nothing of it past that.

I can say this though, when looking at Orihime or Rukia, they never felt "out of place." This is unlike Hinata who does feel out of place. She doesn't feel like she belongs in the world of Naruto and it almost seems like you need to force her character to even have a point in the story. Seriously, if not for the ending, you could remove her entirely from the plot and it wouldn't change much.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 21 November 2014 - 11:50 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#43 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:40 AM

THIS COMIC HERE HAS BETTER DEVELOPMENT FOR HINATA THAN THE CANON MANGA

http://natsumi33.dev...3/11723193&qo=8

Edited by Nar123, 22 November 2014 - 01:40 AM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#44 hinataiscreepy

hinataiscreepy

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:59 AM

I am looking at the "terrace " doujinshi and its just plain awesome so far.

#45 meri-chan

meri-chan

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:02 AM

She is one of the Kunoichi that i like beside Sakura, but i never imagined she will get the hero's heart at the end. Congrats to her and all her supporter. I like Sakura more, but she looks prettier, just my opinion.

2e372pz.jpg

The hero who was once called a failure,

in the end learned to never give up on the future.”

#46 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:45 AM

Terrence is amazing and I have told Natsumi that her version of Hinata is canon to me. The development she gives her is amazing and it's a shame knowing that she couldn't get that in the manga.

Now then I'm sure most of you know my feelings towards Hinata, but I'll go ahead and go into detail. For starters I never liked her, that doesn't mean I hated her, but I didn't care for her character. I didn't like how she looked for starters and the whole super shy girl does nothing for me, especially when they never grow out of it. What didn't help either is that I disliked Naruto, very much actually, to the point where I almost stopped watching it entirely. I couldn't stand him in the first few episodes so I could careless about the girl who had a crush on him.

However after the whole Zabuza arc I decided to stick with anime, and I soon fell in love with Naruto's character. By this time I saw HInata as nothing more as a background character, I didn't even class her as side character since we saw so much more of the other rookie teams. My feelings for her stayed pretty much the same until SP started to make her the filler queen. What followed soon afterwards where NH fans using filler episodes as ammo, their favorite one is the one with Naruto watching Hinata dance around naked near a water fall. Once that started happening I started to get a bad taste in my mouth whenever I saw her, but I ignored it.

Then the time skip happened and I wasn't surprised when I saw the size of her boobs. It's like they wanted to add to her already adorable cute shyness, but to me it was annoying to say the least, especially since she hadn't changed. From there things just got worse and worse. This is when I started to really dislike her, mostly because she never did anything. She never grew as a person, she never failed, or made mistake, she was just always about Naruto. Her feelings to some where admirable, but I always saw her as being a selfish fan girl. She never knew anything about Naruto or his struggles and the drama that went on within team 7. Once the shipping wars started to get bad (after Hinata's confession) I started to hate her because of her fans. They always spoke so highly of her as if she was with Naruto the entire time, I couldn't stand it.

Now with everything that has happened I can't see her face without getting upset. I have turned off notifications from my own brother and some friends on Facebook. I also left a lot of anime groups since NH was plastered everywhere. My brother is the classic NH fan boy that doesn't read the manga, he only watches the anime every now and then. He and I would have constant debates over the parings and once NH became canon he had a filed day with me. He's my half bother and we've only been in contact for about 8 months now, but he got the picture when he saw how hurt I was. However he still can't see why I'm upset ;/ but it all comes down to me being a bigger Naruto fan then him. So with that said I honestly can't say if I hate Hinata for her character or because of how shes being gloried now. Perhaps it's both, maybe once this is all over I'll know for sure.

Edited by Konohakitten, 22 November 2014 - 04:48 AM.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#47 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

I didn't think about that aspect, but you're exactly right: Hinata is a character who never had enough of a storyline to make mistakes. She is just an ideal. With boobs. Sakura is the real flesh-and-blood girl who makes mistakes and learns from them.

This point echoes elements of a rather dark and cynical theory I've had for a long time regarding Hinata's popularity.

From the first moments I began to lurk around the edges of the Naruto fandom, I was caught off guard and nearly incinerated by the intense passion and rhetoric surrounding Hinata, a character without any identifiably legitimate depth, capability, meaningful purpose, or development.  

Hinata is so lacking in dimension and utility within the story that she might as well have been represented as a crudely painted cardboard cutout with the words "Romance Pawn" written on it.  So how did such a character gain so much adulation, praise, and a Teflon shield from criticism?

In the movie Silence of the Lambs, there's a scene where Hannibal Lecter asks Agent Starling to think about what motivates Buffalo Bill, the serial killer.  He asks her, "What needs does he serve by killing?"  From a psychological perspective, the essence of that question -- what needs do people serve by their choices / actions / affiliations -- is worth asking.

So.... What needs do fans serve by idealizing Hinata?

In my opinion, it is simple objectification.  She is an all-purpose fantasy object, a character who projects the sort of sexualized weakness that appeals to men and women, albeit for what are likely very different reasons.  For some because it represents the opportunity to manipulate and dominate, for others it's an opportunity to emulate if doing so means not having to do the hard work of change and growth, and you win the prize simply by wanting it.

I admit I have a deep bias against this character trope.  I would want any young girl to be her own person -- to work hard to be who and what she truly wants to be -- and not submerge and subjugate herself in the pursuit of a man to make her complete.  I really thought Sakura was going to have it figured out, but in the end Kishimoto subjected her to the same fate.

You know...I have to wonder if it would have been better to not have Hinata in the series at all and see how that would change it all. You have a flat character in a world of complex characters. It's almost like she doesn't belong in the world at all...

Very true.  If all the panels and references to Hinata were removed from the manga it would not change anything at all for Naruto, his feelings, goals, decisions... anything.

But, you know, it was decided a long time ago that Hinata was the important life relationship for Naruto.  Okay.  Sure.  Back to the chess analogy, the crudely fashioned and painted Romance Pawn simply advanced across the board and was made Queen.

Sigh.

I want to send Kishimoto a tee shirt that says, "God, I suck."

#48 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

I can only to find him and be next to him - with "I'm with stupid" shirt.

#49 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

Then I'll meet with his wife and wear a t-shirt saying, "Divorce the jerkass, woman."
268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

#50 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

Finally. 

Finally. 

I need this thread like I need holy water. 

Okay. In part 1 I liked her. For a year. And then after her disappearance from the main story I didn't care about her at all. It was then where I started to realize that I don't like shy, small-fry characters. I thought Hinata had so much potential. I thought she was going to develop and lead her clan, probably get with Neji in the end to keep her clan pure, and become one of Konoha's leading members. 

But she ended up as nothing more than a romantic interest. 

And the hype that she's gotten all of these years without actually doing anything kills me. Like....what has she done? What has she done to deserve this? Sakura literally punched a God and people still hate on her character. Hinata tripped over a d*mn pebble. 

Didn't like her since 2006. Don't like her now.

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#51 Nami

Nami

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

I'm with you Kns, I never really understood why Hinata is so popular. There are many interesting characters in this manga (or were, since Kishi managed to destroy most of them with just one chapter, but let's pretend for a second that it doesn't exist). I guess I was similar to Hinata growing up, I was very shy, introverted, refused to do anything by myself, felt helpless and so on, and logically Hinata should appeal to be because I see myself in her, but that was never the case. I always felt attracted to the strong girls. I looked up to then, learned from them and wanted to be them and better myself. It may sound funny but I believe that precisely these characters had an impact on me and in a way helped me become the woman I am today.

Hinata doesn't appeal to me in any possible way. Maybe I would have rooted for her if she even tried to better herself and be someone. Seriously she does nothing for herself in this manga. And Kishi, instead of helping her find her own path and testing her, he practically gives her an award for being so bland.

#52 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

I think Jake from State Farm is a better character than Hinata. :laugh:

I think Jake is a fantastic character, His Khaki's really sell the insurance guy motif :zaru: 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

#53 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

Finally. 

Finally. 

I need this thread like I need holy water. 

Okay. In part 1 I liked her. For a year. And then after her disappearance from the main story I didn't care about her at all. It was then where I started to realize that I don't like shy, small-fry characters. I thought Hinata had so much potential. I thought she was going to develop and lead her clan, probably get with Neji in the end to keep her clan pure, and become one of Konoha's leading members. 

But she ended up as nothing more than a romantic interest. 

And the hype that she's gotten all of these years without actually doing anything kills me. Like....what has she done? What has she done to deserve this? Sakura literally punched a God and people still hate on her character. Hinata tripped over a d*mn pebble. 

Didn't like her since 2006. Don't like her now.

Because of her boobs? Serioulsly though I rather have a woman Like Sakura than Hinata.

Edited by NaruSaku fan in Kentucky, 22 November 2014 - 06:40 PM.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#54 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

I just hate how much her and Sasuke's popularity have influenced the story of this manga.

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

#55 Aizen-Sama

Aizen-Sama

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

I just hate how much her and Sasuke's popularity have influenced the story of this manga.

^ Exactly. Kishimoto's love for Sasuke and Hinata's popularity with fans ruined this manga. Sasuke never got punished and Naruto never got the girl he loved.
Hinata was a good character before symbolizing having more confidence in yourself but she spun out into an interfering love interest who kicked out Sakura's heroine status. Her massive popularity is undeserved (she barely appears) and she is honestly the most overrated character I've ever seen in anime.
Seriously...an ENTIRE movie about a minor character in love with the hero? I've never seen such a thing.

#56 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

I think Jake is a fantastic character, His Khaki's really sell the insurance guy motif :zaru:

Just make sure you don't call him a 3 AM or your wife would be jealous.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#57 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

:umm: i have no wife, or husband. MAYBE JAKE-KUN WILL BE MY TRUE LOVE?! 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

#58 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

This point echoes elements of a rather dark and cynical theory I've had for a long time regarding Hinata's popularity.

From the first moments I began to lurk around the edges of the Naruto fandom, I was caught off guard and nearly incinerated by the intense passion and rhetoric surrounding Hinata, a character without any identifiably legitimate depth, capability, meaningful purpose, or development.  

Hinata is so lacking in dimension and utility within the story that she might as well have been represented as a crudely painted cardboard cutout with the words "Romance Pawn" written on it.  So how did such a character gain so much adulation, praise, and a Teflon shield from criticism?

In the movie Silence of the Lambs, there's a scene where Hannibal Lecter asks Agent Starling to think about what motivates Buffalo Bill, the serial killer.  He asks her, "What needs does he serve by killing?"  From a psychological perspective, the essence of that question -- what needs do people serve by their choices / actions / affiliations -- is worth asking.

So.... What needs do fans serve by idealizing Hinata?

In my opinion, it is simple objectification.  She is an all-purpose fantasy object, a character who projects the sort of sexualized weakness that appeals to men and women, albeit for what are likely very different reasons.  For some because it represents the opportunity to manipulate and dominate, for others it's an opportunity to emulate if doing so means not having to do the hard work of change and growth, and you win the prize simply by wanting it.

I admit I have a deep bias against this character trope.  I would want any young girl to be her own person -- to work hard to be who and what she truly wants to be -- and not submerge and subjugate herself in the pursuit of a man to make her complete.  I really thought Sakura was going to have it figured out, but in the end Kishimoto subjected her to the same fate.

Very true.  If all the panels and references to Hinata were removed from the manga it would not change anything at all for Naruto, his feelings, goals, decisions... anything.

But, you know, it was decided a long time ago that Hinata was the important life relationship for Naruto.  Okay.  Sure.  Back to the chess analogy, the crudely fashioned and painted Romance Pawn simply advanced across the board and was made Queen.

Sigh.

I want to send Kishimoto a tee shirt that says, "God, I suck."

No, we need to put his face on a milk carton that says "This man wrote Naruto Part 1, Have you seen him?"

#59 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Guilty Gear, Basketball, Futbol, and writing.

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

:umm: i have no wife, or husband. MAYBE JAKE-KUN WILL BE MY TRUE LOVE?! 

Yeah right  :lol:

#60 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

No, we need to put his face on a milk carton that says "This man wrote Naruto Part 1, Have you seen him?"

:lmao: I'll also make some posters so that will get the message out too! x-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users