60 replies to this topic

#1 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Fifty Shades of Grey: The movie.....Fifity Shades.....of Grey.....the movie.

http://www.usmagazin...an-grey-2014186

"We won't fund Ghostbusters 3, but we will fund Fifty Shades of Grey"
-Hollywood.

32znyb8.png

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#2 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I love that scene, especially how literal it is. Anyway...god help us all.

#3 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

I still can't get over that it was a Twilight fanfic at first.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#4 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

I'm not surprised

\

#5 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

And Twilight was bad in itself. :wacko:

ナルサク

#6 Inferno180

Inferno180

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

Really.....

Wow, standards have fallen haven't they?

This makes more night shyamalas the last airbender look like a decent movie just from this announcement.

Maybe they should have Gilbert Gottfried narrate it?

When people insult my OTP

Insulting a man’s ship, be worse than insulting his mother.

#7 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

Really.....

Wow, standards have fallen haven't they?

This makes more night shyamalas the last airbender look like a decent movie just from this announcement.

Maybe they should have Gilbert Gottfried narrate it?

Fallen? I've suffered through Tank Girl, Half Baked and anything produced by Kevin Smith. Those preceded this and were even worse. So the fall was long ago. The book was very successful and Hollywood ran out of ideas ages again. No surprise.

#8 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

Isn't anything new.  Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy and Pacific Rim was supposed to play the main guy before (wisely) backing out a year ago.

#9 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

The book was very successful

Yes, and what a sad testimony to the lurid tastes of humanity.  The only reason it was successful was due to the shameless setup of an inexperienced girl being exposed (literally) to BDSM by a sexual predator as a "plot."  

It's considered neither inspired nor well-written, and only found an audience because of its prurient subject matter. 

Best news of all?  It's supposedly the first installment of a trilogy.   :argh:

#10 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

Yes, and what a sad testimony to the lurid tastes of humanity.  The only reason it was successful was due to the shameless setup of an inexperienced girl being exposed (literally) to BDSM by a sexual predator as a "plot."  

It's considered neither inspired nor well-written, and only found an audience because of its prurient subject matter. 

Best news of all?  It's supposedly the first installment of a trilogy.   :argh:

I guess it's true that sex sells. :glare:

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#11 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

Hollywood has been making popular books into movies for a long-ass time, for better or for worse. This really isn't anything surprising or new. However... I'm really interested in what this film will do to the NC-17 rating, since pretty much no mainstream films have attempted the rating since Showgirls, successfully at least. I might see the movie out of curiosity? I mean, I'm not embarrassed by the fetish stuff (it's all romanticized anyway), and this movie MIIIIIIIIGHT have the potential of making film history, especially since the 50 Shades of Grey book made young adult novel history. I mean, it'll be awful either way, but still.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#12 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

True about Hollywood. Still...why! That money...could have gone to anything else. Why!

#13 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hollywood has been making popular books into movies for a long-ass time, for better or for worse. This really isn't anything surprising or new. However... I'm really interested in what this film will do to the NC-17 rating, since pretty much no mainstream films have attempted the rating since Showgirls, successfully at least. I might see the movie out of curiosity? I mean, I'm not embarrassed by the fetish stuff (it's all romanticized anyway), and this movie MIIIIIIIIGHT have the potential of making film history, especially since the 50 Shades of Grey book made young adult novel history. I mean, it'll be awful either way, but still.

I want to see what they rate it too. I read through a few pages at random when I was at the bookstore and there is no way it can just get an R rating. If it did then why bother making it into a movie? Hollywood has been making a lot of books into movies, and it gets to me because you'll have people who don't read love the movie but right our refuse to read the book. However I have seen people get so hyped that they read the whole series so that they know what is in store for them, so I guess it's a double edged sword. I also saw a trailer for the Giver the other day and I said to myself  "Wow just about any book is up for grabs now."

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#14 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

This movie is going to be frightening. I can feel it. *shudder*

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#15 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

Well...I shall now add that to the list of movies I will never see.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#16 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:58 AM

I want to see what they rate it too. I read through a few pages at random when I was at the bookstore and there is no way it can just get an R rating. If it did then why bother making it into a movie? Hollywood has been making a lot of books into movies, and it gets to me because you'll have people who don't read love the movie but right our refuse to read the book. However I have seen people get so hyped that they read the whole series so that they know what is in store for them, so I guess it's a double edged sword. I also saw a trailer for the Giver the other day and I said to myself  "Wow just about any book is up for grabs now."

Apparently there will be an NC-17 rated one and an R rated one? Most people will probably see the NC-17 one though.

#17 dylanrivers10000

dylanrivers10000

Blow this up like pyromania-def leppard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Location:on the moon shadow and i blew up the earth, now along side the ENTIRE CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE, and the A-TEAM
  • Interests:proving people that being stereotypical about me and bashing me is impolite, and is just rude!!!

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

i never seen it though i should

Neil-Young-Rockin-In-The-Fre-101219.jpg

#18 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Heres the official trailer for the film.

Edited by rikakim94, 25 July 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#19 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:11 AM

Is Hollywood really out of ideas? Absolutely not. There are tons of original films, and plenty of good ones, too. This list below shows some of my favorite films that were original concepts since 2011. They were well excecuted and/or a lot of fun to watch.

• Pacific Rim
  • The World's End
  • Her
  • Nebraska
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
  • Prisoners
  • Snowpiercer
  • Gravity
  • Midnight in Paris
  • The Artist
  • Inception
  • Django Unchained
  • Chronicle
  • Magic Mike
  • 50/50
  • Martha Marcy May Marlene
  • Warrior

That being said, it's easy to see why people think that Hollywood is out of ideas. There are a lot of remakes, book adaptions and sequels. The reason for that, though, is that most people, mainly general movie audiences, enjoy or at least prefer seeing something that is familiar. Cabin in the Woods was a great satirical horror film and made just over $66 million world wide. Paranormal Activity 4 made over $142 million world wide. You do the math.

Fact is. Hollywood has a lot of originality. There are a lot of original scripts out there. Go to any film festival around the country. There are tons of fine original movies. The fact is, most audiences (judging by box office results), want the things that are familiar and within their comfort zone, like a comfort food, if you will. The people who are willing to take a chance when at the theater and see the more original film is a minority. Even with the movies I listed, which were good original films, they either had to rely on a known director (Pacific Rim) or get Oscar buzz (The Artist) to have any success.

The point is, studio execs realize that people have movies that are like comfort foods. They can hire a director and writers who can come up with a new movie based on something or a sequel to something and do it easier than coming up with something original, and they know it will break even. So of course they will go with that direction. It's guaranteed money.

So in this case, we have Fifty Shades of Grey. Studio execs saw that there was a ton of buzz for it, they knew it would have an audience, and they know they can bank on it. So of course they jumped on it. It's not a question of originality, it's just about making money.

In regards to the level of standards, there have been movies at the bottom of the barrel which rely on the lowest common denominator in other genres for a while, Grown Ups 2 in comedy or the later Saw movies for horror are good, recent examples. It has simply now spread to the romance based on books genre.

Now, as for thoughts on the movie? It looks terrible, like a Lifetime movie that snuck its way onto Cinemax.

Edited by Lid, 25 July 2014 - 06:16 AM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#20 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

Oh god, watching the trailer just made me realize how much I don't want to see the movie. Unfortunately, I work as a server at a dine-in theatre, so I'll likely have to watch at least some of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users