#401 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (KnS @ Dec 1 2012, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it's a continuity error. If I understand the history correctly, Tobirama Senju set the precedent by having his own team of students (including Hiruzen and Danzo) while acting as the Second Hokage. It was during the first war that Team Tobirama got into trouble, and Hiruzen volunteered to sacrifice himself for the team. Tobirama chose to sacrifice himself instead, naming Hiruzen as his successor first.

So I'm pretty sure that Hiruzen was Hokage for a long time, a span which included when he was sensei to the Sannin.

That makes sense (though my initial thought was that Hiruzen was named to Tobirama's team BEFORE Tobirama became hokage -- as it appeared he was Tobirama's student when Hashirama was still alive (and thus still the first Hokage), so the 2nd Hokage having a team might have just been an artifact of having become a teacher before being named to the position, so I'm not sure how much of a precedent it is as Hiruzen first took on the Sannin AFTER being named Hokage. Hm), and is pretty much the way I figured it, too, but I wanted confirmation first -- there have been a few sections of the manga that I've skipped (in favor of summaries) or merely skimmed through, and there's always a chance that something that feels "unlikely" like that might have been explained in a part of the manga I haven't read quite as thoroughly.

(Incidentally, does it ever feel to anybody else as if Konoha's history is too compressed? It feels like there should be no way that the Sandaime was only 69 years old when he died, as the databooks claim -- he would have been alive and acting as Hokage throughout most of its existance, while the First and Second are supposed to have pretty big legacies, themselves, that would suggest equally long reigns, but it seems as if they were only running Konoha for about 5-10 years, each, at most)

Edited by desaix, 01 December 2012 - 09:16 PM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#402 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (desaix @ Dec 1 2012, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That makes sense (though my initial thought was that Hiruzen was named to Tobirama's team BEFORE Tobirama became hokage -- as it appeared he was Tobirama's student when Hashirama was still alive (and thus still the first Hokage), so the 2nd Hokage having a team might have just been an artifact of having become a teacher before being named to the position, so I'm not sure how much of a precedent it is as Hiruzen first took on the Sannin AFTER being named Hokage. Hm), and is pretty much the way I figured it, too, but I wanted confirmation first -- there have been a few sections of the manga that I've skipped (in favor of summaries) or merely skimmed through, and there's always a chance that something that feels "unlikely" like that might have been explained in a part of the manga I haven't read quite as thoroughly.

(Incidentally, does it ever feel to anybody else as if Konoha's history is too compressed? It feels like there should be no way that the Sandaime was only 69 years old when he died, as the databooks claim -- he would have been alive and acting as Hokage throughout most of its existance, while the First and Second are supposed to have pretty big legacies, themselves, that would suggest equally long reigns, but it seems as if they were only running Konoha for about 5-10 years, each, at most)

Personally, I think it's possible that Konoha's history isn't as long as it seems. Now, with the latest revelations about the Sage, it's possible that the ninja clans were established and connected to each other before Konoha was ever established. They were all probably allied, but no home village to call their own. I dunno.
Tsunade is still in her 50s, when I'd feel she'd probably be closer to her 80s and 90s, being the Senju granddaughter and the feeling that the Senju had a long legacy.

#403 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

*nods* I've always thought it was too compressed as well. And compressed is a good term for it. It seems like a lot of big events/legacies have been shoehorned into a small space in time.

#404 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jan 2 2013, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*nods* I've always thought it was too compressed as well. And compressed is a good term for it. It seems like a lot of big events/legacies have been shoehorned into a small space in time.

Yeah, with the events and 3 major wars, I figured that Konoha and all the villages had to be closer to 200+ years old, not only around 80. Of course, being the 5 are young, maybe they were the first consolidated powers, so each clan must had their own villages before.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#405 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (desaix @ Dec 1 2012, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were many wars, and both of the hokages died on battles.
So it would be expected that their rule would be short.
SK-303_image007.jpg

#406 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

So, um, if I posted another chapter to Training for the Job some day soon (I'm talking a month or three away, here, at the soonest), is there any chance I could get away without a thousand new comments "explaining" to me that Kushina is Naruto's mother, or yet another explanation of the difference between raikiri and chidori, or yet another complaint about using golden flash instead of yellow flash?

Incidently, I have a (relatively) new Facebook account for status reports on my original fiction. If anyone here wants to friend me, go ahead... (but please keep it a little quiet on the fanfic front if you want to post on my wall; I have an editor, a publisher, and a few published authors friended, as well, and... well, there's a bit of a stigma to fanfiction in certain circles of the writing community)

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#407 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hey! Just thinking about you in particular as I was posting a thread about Amazon's Kindle Worlds. And you were on at the same time - lol!

I think it'd be great if you update...but yeah, expect lots of "educational" reviews! laugh.gif

So have you got any original fic in the hopper?

#408 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ May 24 2013, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey! Just thinking about you in particular as I was posting a thread about Amazon's Kindle Worlds. And you were on at the same time - lol!

I think it'd be great if you update...but yeah, expect lots of "educational" reviews! laugh.gif

So have you got any original fic in the hopper?

Well, after being led on by a certain publisher for FOUR YEARS before they rejected it, I have one novel that I've decided to pull out of the slush piles and agent hunts to try self-publishing (which is apparently something that can actually be done successfully, nowadays, and a lot of mid-list authors are going this route to survive the death of the brick-and-mortar stores). Requires the writer to pull a lot of money out of their pocket up-front if they want it to sell (you have to pay for their own copywriting, editing, ISBN numbers, cover art, marketting, etc.), but you get more take-home pay for equal numbers of sales, so it kind of balances out (as long as you're willing to do the marketing). I'm not giving up on the traditional, though (I intend to pursue the "hybrid model" of publishing, wherein some books are self-pubbed and others are trad-pubbed), and currently have another fantasy novel in with a different publisher (at their request, which tends to give you a much better chance than simple slush pile submissions), and more stuff in the works.

Fanfic-wise... well, I have several things that have been sitting on my computer, written but held back because of the whole trying-to-get-pro-published thing. I'm thinking of starting to post them as a part of marketing my original fiction (I've seen it done, before, in the Gargoyles universe -- there was one author who wrote a fanfic where their original characters and the Gargoyles characters met and interacted), but I'm still holding off until I'm ready for that.

Edited by desaix, 24 May 2013 - 09:28 PM.

-Tonbo

#409 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ May 24 2013, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, um, if I posted another chapter to Training for the Job some day soon (I'm talking a month or three away, here, at the soonest), is there any chance I could get away without a thousand new comments "explaining" to me that Kushina is Naruto's mother, or yet another explanation of the difference between raikiri and chidori, or yet another complaint about using golden flash instead of yellow flash?

Incidently, I have a (relatively) new Facebook account for status reports on my original fiction. If anyone here wants to friend me, go ahead... (but please keep it a little quiet on the fanfic front if you want to post on my wall; I have an editor, a publisher, and a few published authors friended, as well, and... well, there's a bit of a stigma to fanfiction in certain circles of the writing community)

Well, you lucked out, the one you had as Naruto's mother (not saying who, for Spoilers), her personality is a very similar to Kushina's, just a bit more rough around the edges.

#410 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ May 24 2013, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you lucked out, the one you had as Naruto's mother (not saying who, for Spoilers), her personality is a very similar to Kushina's, just a bit more rough around the edges.

Perhaps. Of course, there's also Minato's name that people are (still!) trying to tell me I "got wrong" (well, duh -- it hadn't been spoken at the time I was writing the fic!) and even whether or not Gaara survived Deidara and Sasori's kidnapping attempt. *sigh*

Check the damned dates, people! We didn't always know these things! And why do people constantly pick on me about this? There were dozens of fics calling the Fourth "Arashi" or making up theories for Naruto's parentage (my favorite of the "bizarre" ones was that Naruto was, in fact, just a baby shadow clone of the Yondaime who was being sustained by the kyuubi) before they were revealed, and I never see people making those types of complaints when I read those fics comments.

-Tonbo

#411 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ May 24 2013, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you could block comments. happy.gif

QUOTE (desaix @ May 24 2013, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, after being led on by a certain publisher for FOUR YEARS before they rejected it, I have one novel that I've decided to pull out of the slush piles and agent hunts to try self-publishing (which is apparently something that can actually be done successfully, nowadays, and a lot of mid-list authors are going this route to survive the death of the brick-and-mortar stores). Requires the writer to pull a lot of money out of their pocket up-front if they want it to sell (you have to pay for their own copywriting, editing, ISBN numbers, cover art, marketting, etc.), but you get more take-home pay for equal numbers of sales, so it kind of balances out (as long as you're willing to do the marketing). I'm not giving up on the traditional, though (I intend to pursue the "hybrid model" of publishing, wherein some books are self-pubbed and others are trad-pubbed), and currently have another fantasy novel in with a different publisher (at their request, which tends to give you a much better chance than simple slush pile submissions), and more stuff in the works.

Fanfic-wise... well, I have several things that have been sitting on my computer, written but held back because of the whole trying-to-get-pro-published thing. I'm thinking of starting to post them as a part of marketing my original fiction (I've seen it done, before, in the Gargoyles universe -- there was one author who wrote a fanfic where their original characters and the Gargoyles characters met and interacted), but I'm still holding off until I'm ready for that.

Seems like an increasingly viable model. I just read a series by an author that was self-published and then picked up by a publisher to have his stuff re-published. But the publishers (or maybe market?) are still have trouble adapting to the 21st century and it seems way harder than it should be with way too much luck.

#412 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:34 AM

*cough* *cough* Boy, it's dusty in here, isn't it?  :hm:

-Tonbo

#413 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Okay, my self-published book is getting closer to publication.  Book is edited and designed (though final construction\proofing is still required).  Cover Art has been recieved (my family didn't like it, and proposed my brother's design instead.  I put it to a vote on my facebook account; overwhelmingly, people prefer my choice on the cover.  Two potential disasters based on my choice averted:  I don't have to use ugly cover art (which I would have if I'd succumbed to family pressure) and I don't have a big family blow-up to deal with because I chose to put nice-looking cover art on my book)

Now I just need to work on my back cover material.  So, you know, people know what the book is about.  Ugh.

When that's completed, I just might get around to releasing a chapter or three of that OTHER Naruto fanfic I was talking about upthread.  I'll save Training for the Job updates for when I have major announcements.

-Tonbo

#414 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Congrats on all fronts!! Welcome back to writing fanfic, glad you've gotten some creative freedom from your professional writing, and glad to see your going the self-publishing route! You already know I'm a big supporter of self-publishing, having prepped books for clients and encouraged several writer friends to dive in, so I'm glad to hear you're taking the plunge. It's exciting and well worth it! Writing seems to be the only creative medium where the writer and his finished product (a hard-copy book) have been separated by a great divide. That is, to get a physical copy of your book in your own hands or the hands of those you love, you have to be wildly comercially viable enough to have massive amounts of bound copies at your disposal. I'm happy to see that the divide is finally closing with self-publishing/pod/limited runs, etc., and I hope it's all good things for your first venture. 

Good call on putting the book cover out to a neutral party, too. It's your book and your choice, but there is something to be said for keeping family peace. Sounds like you've navigated it well.

Congrats again, and I can't wait to see what up with next fanfic-wise!

#415 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

*cough*

-Tonbo

#416 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

I'd like to mention I have another book out (have had it out for a month and a half, now).  "The Kitsune Stratagem" is now available in both print and e-book form -- see the link to my website (where you can buy a copy) in my .sig file, below.

Of note, in the process of getting the print version of my book out the door, I wound up with ten misprint copies.  These have perfectly fine interiors, but the covers went a little too wonky to sell (it's a long story.  To some degree I'm still wondering how it happened; between the proof version and the misprint version, the thing that caused the misprint was completely untouched).  If anyone is willing to post an honest review (to Amazon and wherever else you want to post it), I'm willing to give away (signed, if you want) these misprint copies, free of charge.  Half of them are already spoken for, but if you're interested there's still several left.

Edit:  Well, I THOUGHT I had attached the image.  I can't embed the image either, for some reason (why is it not permitted to post pictures with the .jpg extension on these boards?  I've never had trouble with that before).  My website does have a picture of the ebook cover; the only difference between the misprint cover and the cover image on the website is some clipping of the image (for some reason, this is a problem both on the misprint and on the gallery image on the front page; it is corrected on the "my books" page) and the text is off center.

Edited by desaix, 18 September 2014 - 06:46 AM.

-Tonbo

#417 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

Hmph.  With the revelations from 699-700, I'm honestly not sure I want to finish this fic any more.  Oh, I still might, but I need to think about it.  Fanfiction, by its nature, is free promotion of the source material; while I'm not going to drop NaruSaku, I no longer feel like providing free promotion of the Naruto series.

It'll take me a while to sort out the headcanon I need to enjoy Naruto any more, regardless.  In the meantime, though, I guess that leaves me more time for my original fiction.  (I promise no crappy last-minute out-of-the-blue pairings in any of my works, original or fanfic; any pairings will either be immediately obvious, or will exist without throwing out all the character development of the prior work in an attempt to, ahem, justify)

To think I had an unfinished 27 chapter, 150,000 word part-one rewrite fanfic (new team; since PeanutButter126 seems to have dropped out of fanfiction and Precious People looked like it would never get finished, I started my own version of that style of fic) that I was planning posting, too.  I'm not sure what to do with it, now....  (real answer:  Again, wait until the headcanon can be fixed in my head, then decide)

-Tonbo

#418 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

No matter what you decide to do, thanks for this story Desaix, still my favorite fanfic of all time. 

Edited by Mik3, 08 November 2014 - 07:29 PM.

\

#419 somilmish

somilmish

Ghost

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Tanki Online, Physics, Pottermore, Snape FF, Naruto, Fanfiction, Call of Duty, Total War series, AC, SC, etc .

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:49 PM

um... was the fanfic good? I kinda dropped out after ino called naruto sama too many times =/
6r1oag.jpg

#420 Decius23

Decius23

Fanfiction Junkie

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Fanfiction, Manga, Anime, Gaming, Books, Freeriding, Science

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Training for the job is one of the best fan-fics in the Naruto universe, period. It's actually the proof what a great fictional world Kishimoto created (up until after the 'Gaara Rescue' arc, how the hell Kishimoto managed to make the subplot of rescuing Sasuke and the Akatsuki affair into the main plot i'll never understand. There is a reason why the majority of the best fanfics stay within Part 1...) because it manages to keep the core of the Naruto cast but changes their characters accordingly to the story's events while still keeping them in character.

Oh and politics, can't forget them...unlike Kishimoto, this fic actually has clan politics that make sense (why the heck haven't the Hyuuga branded Hinata/Hanabi with the caged bird seal? Or Narutos children? Oh wait, they don't have the frickin' doujutsu that was said to be a dominant trait... :twitch: )

The only thing that bothers me are the identity of Narutos parents and the Uzumaki clan's description, which can't be avoided since Desaix wrote that material before we got the canon information...and while i really wish Desaix would rewrite these particular passages i know that an edit of that magnitude would be unreasonable in light of his RL plans (read: His time managment).

@Desaix: Please don't give up on your (naruto) fanfics! They are awesome and i would love to read new 'Training for the job' chapters. And don't get me started on that Peanutbutter-esque new fic you mentioned. I was really depressed to see that he gave up on fanfic, so please don't throw your work away!

What could have been:
gallery_14986_310_31088.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users