24 replies to this topic

#21 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:50 AM

All the Halo games. They're not bad games at all, but I have no freaking idea what the big deal has ever been. People act like the franchise is the second coming of christ, but they've had mediocre stories and tended to innovate in no way shape or form. The biggest thing they ever did was bring console online gaming to prominence. Even that, along with everything else in the game, was something PC First Person Shooters had already been doing for years. For the most part the whole thing was just another FPS with great online play, which has been where ninety percent of the praise has gone. Hell, half the review scores I've seen would criticize the single player game, an integral part of any game, but still give horrendously high marks just because of the online.
bd5.jpg

#22 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:02 AM

Don't get all the hate for all shooter games... they can easily train hand-eye co-ordination... it also solved my motion sickness problem as well.

But meh, whatever floats your boat. And dl316bh, the gave such high praise to the online was cause of the matchmaking system and Forge. No console shooter ever made a matchmaking system that well, placing you with people in your approximate field of experience.

I know map editing has been done before on shooters, but Forge made it so much easier. I mean, I remember playing Jedi Academy and wanting to make a map, but seeing all the programs you had to download, like 3Dsmax, etc... just turned it off for me.

Now with Forge, I can make fun maps in an hour or two, test it with friends and correct flaws.

#23 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

I have to say the hand-eye coordination argument can go pretty much for any video ever created. I mean you have a control, you look at the screen. When something happens on the screen, you use the controller to react. And there you have hand-eye coordination!

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#24 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

Map making has gotten generally a lot easier on computer stuf as well. Jedi Academy was a good long time ago.

Yeah, I get that it's online capabilities were great, but that doesn't justify the hype for me. I mean, seriously. Someone actually tried to tell me it was the most important video game series of the decade. I literally laughed at them, which they didn't much care for, needless to say.

I don't dislike First Person Shooters perse. I only like the ones that do something interesting, however. Too many play almost exactly the same with little to differentiate the experience.

The first person perspective is a great, immersive tool. The way it's been used this decade, however, has not been great for the most part.

Edited by dl316bh, 11 March 2009 - 11:13 AM.

bd5.jpg

#25 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Mar 10 2009, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't get all the hate for all shooter games... they can easily train hand-eye co-ordination... it also solved my motion sickness problem as well.

But meh, whatever floats your boat. And dl316bh, the gave such high praise to the online was cause of the matchmaking system and Forge. No console shooter ever made a matchmaking system that well, placing you with people in your approximate field of experience.

I know map editing has been done before on shooters, but Forge made it so much easier. I mean, I remember playing Jedi Academy and wanting to make a map, but seeing all the programs you had to download, like 3Dsmax, etc... just turned it off for me.

Now with Forge, I can make fun maps in an hour or two, test it with friends and correct flaws.

All I ever got matched up with on that game were generals, 95% of whom stunk at the game. dry.gif
And making maps on Jedi Academy was a bit hard, I made one when I was like 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users