#1 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

well hello~

Okay so I'm getting a new laptop in a few days and I need some sort of adapter to transfer the HDD to the new one or a temporary external HDD. The old laptop's dead and gone (there was a complication with the motherboard and instead of settling on replacing it entirely, I decided to just spring for a new one) and I won't be able to just use a flash drive to do this.

I did some quick research and found something that I'm guessing is what I'm looking for, but I'm lost as to exactly which one to choose.

PRODUCTS: http://www.google.co...9d754eee0b4f223

and I found a video too:

am I on the right track? If so help me choose please. If not tell me your ways~

NOTE: If you need my specs or type of HDD I have, I'll update later today!

Edited by krisk, 30 July 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#2 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

You're looking at the right product. I'm assuming your HDD is SATA? Hardly any laptops use IDE anymore, as that's old tech.

#3 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

assuming that that's true, about what year is the cutoff point for IDE types? jic.

#4 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

First gen SATA was created in 2003, IDE started getting phased out in mid to late 2004. SATA went mainstream around the same time.

Does your current laptop have a USB port? Because if it does, then you can just connect a USB cable to the port on the old laptop and the new one, and transfer files. Otherwise, what you're looking at is pretty much the right thing.

#5 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

sweet! SATA it is then. and of course it has a USB port! I'm a ~lady~ what else would I have? hm.png pictureem0.gif

nah but really, the computer itself is dead. I can't find a substitute host for the HDD since the model is so old and it would just take more time and effort trying to find one. I'll just go ahead pick an adapter buy it and be done with it.

BUT LOL RRRGH my dad went around electronic stores when he went out to el paso (le gasp, come find meee) and I txted him (my parental units shun texting) WHAT this thing was called (SATA to USB 2.0 adapter) and he went around asking for a USB adapter. LOLWAT dammit dad /csb

anyway it's resolved. thank you joxykins and pattikuns! biggrin.gif

requesting a lock. preferably a shiny one, heavy-duty too thx~

Edited by krisk, 06 August 2010 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users