86 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

I know this seems kind of lame but i want to share my open minded opinion and here yours as well. I have a real smart college professor/engineer that has studied global warming his whole entire life and says that were destroying the Earth is BS. He told me their has been facts that the earth goes through natural cycles of heating up and cooling down. He further explains that after the Earth heats up the glaciers from the artctic move south to were we live and cause a ice age and move back north after so many hundred years. There has been 7 ice ages recorded in history and as a matter of fact there was a mini ice age when George Washington crossed the Delaware (The Delaware has never been iced over before since)

Core samples have been taken from the ground and studied the various different layers of rock/dirt and have showed this repetitive cycle as well (burnt crust and ice layers as well.) The 3 Ice Age movie is about this cycle, (the animals have to survive the constant melting down of the glaciers moving south, adapting to a warmer climate/new land, and the shift of glaciers going back north.)

It you ask me Al Gore and some of the other environmentalist have been making a big profit off of this, I'm not saying we're not contributing to it but i believe God made the earth to take care of itself. I do believe we need some emissions law to keep acid rain from forming and decrease the chance of people getting cancer but Russia, China, and India sure don't seem to care were actual reports of acid rain have occurred.

My whole point of this is because of the newest bill our dear president is trying to pass and if it does all the small refineries and chemical plants will shut down because of having to pay a carbon taxes that would cost over a $100 million dollars. The bill has already made it through the house and is currently in the senate please try to convince others to not support the bill and keep America from going into a depression and all of the smaller towns/cities would be mere ghosts towns/cities. shamefulcry0js.gif

#2 Sora no Kitsune

Sora no Kitsune

Keyblade Master

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Manga/Anime - Naruto, FMA, ect.<br />Video Games - Kingdom Hearts, Metroid, LoL, Tera<br />Music - 2 Step from Hell, Rise Against, 30stm<br />Books - Inheritance Cycle (Eragon Series), Game of Thrones<br />Sports - DAGORHIR!!!!<br />

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:51 AM

I've heard this too. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to cut back on our pollution. We may not be the cause, but we sure as hell are speeding up the process.

Get Chance and Luck!!~

#3 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

I'm only posting to say "YAY TO YOUR COLLEGE PROFESSOR!"

End of post.

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#4 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

I also had a professor that studied global warming for most of his life... but he was the opposite. I remember him telling the class that we're close to the "point of no return" where global warming will get so out-of-control that we won't be able to recover. I really liked listening to him.

Anyways... "It's all part of a natural cycle" is a common argument always brought up in global warming debates. But I find it strange how you're saying that even though we're increasing the amount of CO2 (a important greenhouse gas) by a large amount (I can't remember the exact number... I think it was like 40% or something... humans produce something like 150 times the amount of CO2 that volcano eruptions do) there still won't be any warming in the temperature. Really?

Not to mention that... yes... a natural cycle does exist on Earth... but it's going in the wrong direction right now (and at a different rate seen before (much more slowly)).
Pretty bored.

#5 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (Sora no Senshi @ Jul 11 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard this too. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to cut back on our pollution. We may not be the cause, but we sure as hell are speeding up the process.

Of course we should cut back but i don't think we should stop drilling and try to force people to buy a 40,000 dollar electric hybrid when people are already losing their jobs and the car only gets 40 miles on electricity. (Volt and Pryius)

I'm just ticked that Obama would try to pass an emission law that extreme that would shut down small refineries and chemical plants that helps support our economy and jobs. Where i live is surrounded by small refineries and chemical plants and i don't want to live in a ghost town.

The same goes for the health care reform he is trying to push that would cause it to be Nationalize and under Govt. control like in Britain/Canada were your assigned a doctor to go to for the rest of your life and you may be ill or injured and not able to see a Doc for a month. I'm sure Smiter can talk about that.

#6 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (6thHokage @ Jul 11 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The same goes for the health care reform he is trying to push that would cause it to be Nationalize and under Govt. control like in Britain/Canada were your assigned a doctor to go to for the rest of your life and you may be ill or injured and not able to see a Doc for a month. I'm sure Smiter can talk about that.

While I'm not sure the way he's looking towards is the way to do it, I do think Health Care needs changing. It's become far too much about the dollar signs like everything else. My particular doctor, whom has been such since I was born, has actually made cases as to why we should offer free Health Care. I think he's actually writing a book on it or something like that.

I'm not even going to touch the whole "Global Warming" issue, because frankly it's as full of half truths and bull**** as just about anything else. Human beings love to be doomsayers; always have been. I guess if they focus on problems other than the ones they have then they don't quite have to worry about those quite so much.

Edited by dl316bh, 12 July 2009 - 01:13 AM.

bd5.jpg

#7 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (6thHokage @ Jul 11 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL.

I live in Canada and that is not how our health care system is. We pay for it ourselves through taxes under government control. But we are not assigned a doctor for the rest of our lives. We can choose which doctors we want to see.

#8 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Jul 11 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I'm not sure the way he's looking towards is the way to do it, I do think Health Care needs changing. It's become far too much about the dollar signs like everything else. My particular doctor, whom has been such since I was born, has actually made cases as to why we should offer free Health Care. I think he's actually writing a book on it or something like that.

I'm not even going to touch the whole "Global Warming" issue, because frankly it's as full of half truths and bull**** as just about anything else. Human beings love to be doomsayers; always have been. I guess if they focus on problems other than the ones they have then they don't quite have to worry about those quite so much.

I agree with half truths and bull coming from some scientist/congressman. sleep.gif Wow! That's kind of harsh to say about people. wot.gif
I live in Canada and that is not how our health care system is. We pay for it ourselves through taxes under government control. But we are not assigned a doctor for the rest of our lives. We can choose which doctors we want to see.

I apologize i guess i was misinformed a little.

Edited by 6thHokage, 12 July 2009 - 01:19 AM.

#9 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (6thHokage @ Jul 11 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! That's kind of harsh to say about people. wot.gif

I love humanity. I love what we can and have accomplished. I don't fool myself about us, though. We can accomplish great things. Usually the only ones stopping us is ourselves.

Edited by dl316bh, 12 July 2009 - 01:19 AM.

bd5.jpg

#10 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Jul 11 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could just throw that last sentence you wrote right back at you. (I'm assuming you're a skeptic... I couldn't really tell).

I try to stay out of debate topics (i.e. global warming, religion, etc.) since one side is never going to agree with the other no matter what... but still... they're fun for a while.

Anyways, I have a feeling this topic will be locked. I've noticed that most/all serious debate topics on this forum do.

Edited by Unknown Entity, 12 July 2009 - 01:23 AM.

Pretty bored.

#11 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 11 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL.

I'm curious though, what's the wait like? Canada is notorious for the length of time you have to wait for even necessary surgeries. Canadians routinely flock to the States for care because the government is forced to ration care. It's like that in Britain too.

Just because its a public program doesn't mean it still not about dollars and cents. Providing care and developing medicine costs money, and nothing's going to change that basic fact.

#12 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Jul 11 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could just throw that last sentence you wrote right back at you. (I'm assuming you're a skeptic... I couldn't really tell).

Debating global warming is like debating religion. One side is never going to agree with the other.

Anyways, I have a feeling this topic will be locked. I've noticed that most/all serious debate topics on this forum do.

Yeah, your right about that and now i have regrets posting this topic thread up. I don't want it to be a war or words because after all isn't that what politics is. laugh.gif

Edited by 6thHokage, 12 July 2009 - 01:26 AM.

#13 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:26 AM

Oh, you probably could. But what would be the point? It's the truth, though it does go both ways.

I'm usually skeptical of a lot of things, really, because one side will tell you one thing and another will say something completely different. I usually prefer drawing my own conclusions.

I suspect it's because the Admins and Mod's don't want to deal with the problems it always brings. Debates and serious discussions on the internet almost always turn nasty. Usually best to just cut it off at the pass.

It's a philosophy I agree with to some extent, because frankly most debates do absolutely nothing but foster hurt feelings and fights.

Edited by dl316bh, 12 July 2009 - 01:27 AM.

bd5.jpg

#14 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 11 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious though, what's the wait like? Canada is notorious for the length of time you have to wait for even necessary surgeries. Canadians routinely flock to the States for care because the government is forced to ration care. It's like that in Britain too.

Just because its a public program doesn't mean it still not about dollars and cents. Providing care and developing medicine costs money, and nothing's going to change that basic fact.

Yep, wait times are a major pain in the ass. Broke my fingers once and that wait turned out to be 2.5-3 hours in the lobby until a doctor could see me. I was in a lot of pain. =/

It's a public program, but it's not really "free" in a sense. We're still paying most of our taxes to fund health care, develop medicine and most of all, pay for seniors.

Better than having to pay out your ass for a surgery in the States though.

#15 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 11 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, wait times are a major pain in the ass. Broke my fingers once and that wait turned out to be 2.5-3 hours in the lobby until a doctor could see me. I was in a lot of pain. =/

It's a public program, but it's not really "free" in a sense. We're still paying most of our taxes to fund health care, develop medicine and most of all, pay for seniors.

Do you still have to pay a Co-Pay fee when you walk in to see the Doctor or does the medical tax system cover that as well. huh.gif

#16 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:33 AM

" Now now children. I do believe your wrong in every way! Go check out my flick if you want to know how we can save the world. It involves ice cubes and Matt Groening doing rather weird cartoons. Unless you either both of them , you have no right to post here. "

No seriously.

We've had global warming since the Bronze Age. Now we care? I ain't no savior but I ain't no pig lard dumper in the Thames river.

#17 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (6thHokage @ Jul 11 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, your right about that and now i have regrets posting this topic thread up. I don't want it to be a war or words because after all isn't that what politics is. laugh.gif

Don't worry, it seems to be turning into a healthcare system topic now. tongue.gif

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Jul 11 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suspect it's because the Admins and Mod's don't want to deal with the problems it always brings. Debates and serious discussions on the internet almost always turn nasty. Usually best to just cut it off at the pass.

That's true.

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 11 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree... but maybe that's because I've never needed treatment for something that was life-threatening and not being able to get it right away.
Pretty bored.

#18 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Jul 11 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

" Now now children. I do believe your wrong in every way! Go check out my flick if you want to know how we can save the world. It involves ice cubes and Matt Groening doing rather weird cartoons. Unless you either both of them , you have no right to post here. "

I ****ing lawled.
bd5.jpg

#19 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (6thHokage @ Jul 11 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you still have to pay a Co-Pay fee when you walk in to see the Doctor or does the medical tax system cover that as well. huh.gif

I believe walk-in clinics are free. You just need to pay for the medicine.

#20 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Jul 11 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No seriously.

We've had global warming since the Bronze Age. Now we care? I ain't no savior but I ain't no pig lard dumper in the Thames river.

111189.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users