Nintendo 3DS [Out March 27th in NA, March 25th in EU!]

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Where the hell did that come from? XD

Reported Nintendo 3DS Specs

QUOTE (Joystiq)
As if news of a new handheld device coming from Nintendo in the middle of the night wasn't enough, Engadget today spotted two reports out of Japanese newspapers Asahi and Nikkei detailing the 3DS' known hardware so far. Asahi claims that the handheld's 3D output (remember, sans silly glasses) comes via a "parallax barrier LCD" from Sharp, while Nikkei backs this up and adds that the device's screens will measure roughly four inches diagonally across (each).

Nikkei also claims the device will feature a "3D control stick," though this could presumably be an analog control stick, as well as rumble support and an upped battery life / speedier Wi-Fi. And while we heard last night that the device would arrive on retail shelves sometime in "Fiscal 2010" (before the end of calendar year March 2011), the report says it will arrive during the "second half of [calendar] 2010," owing the new handheld's reveal to slowing DS sales. In speaking with a representative from Nintendo of America, the New York Times confirmed that we'll get our first hands-on with the 3DS at E3 2010, so we'll get our chance to find out exactly what that hardware contains soon enough.

Here's a little more info on the Sharp LCDs that the Nintendo 3DS is said to have.

And here's a Youtube video I found of similar tech (made by LG, but it's still triple view):

The Nintendo 3DS will be revealed at E3, and will probably launch late this year. Personally, I'm on the fence since I did buy a DSi last year. 3D without glasses sounds excellent, but we'll have to see how well it works on the 3DS. It'll also need killer apps to convince me to sell my DSi and save up for the 3DS. Zelda 3D, perhaps? Multiplayer games where you can only see your own screen?

What do you guys think?

#2 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

Another DS? O_O This time in 3D?!

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#3 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

Well, they're saying it's a brand new system, and not an "upgraded" DS. But we'll see at E3!

Personally, I think there might be quite a few DSi XL preorder cancellations, given the timing of this reveal.

Let's just hope the 3DS doesn't turn out like this little gem:

A portable 3D gaming system? What could possibly go wrong?

#4 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Mar 23 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or this one

But seriously. Didn't DSi *just* freaking come out. Come on now Nintendo -.-

#5 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 23 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or this one

But seriously. Didn't DSi *just* freaking come out. Come on now Nintendo -.-

At this rate, there'll be more DS systems than Pokémon. tongue.gif

E3 is in June, so that's a long wait to see what the 3DS will look like, and what games there will be. Still, you never know, they might release more info before then.

#6 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

Here's an article with a video embedded further down the page of the actual system:

http://www.csmonitor...d-gaming-device

It's kinda weird and kinda cool. I'm really not sure what to make of it yet at this point.

#7 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 23 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's an article with a video embedded further down the page of the actual system:

http://www.csmonitor...d-gaming-device

It's kinda weird and kinda cool. I'm really not sure what to make of it yet at this point.

Shauna, the video is of the Nintendo DSi. smile.gif That's actually a download game out right now on DSiWare in Japan, it uses a very clever trick to get that 3D illusion. Basically, it uses the DSi's camera to follow your face and work out what angle you're viewing the screens from. I hope it'll be out on DSiWare for Europe and the US!

#8 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

Nintendo!

It prints money!

#9 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 23 2010, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't DSi *just* freaking come out.

As far as I'm aware, the DSi sold nowhere near what they expected. Most folks just went with the DS Lite. Which is probably why they're doing this; the upgrade approach didn't work this time, so I guess they figure it's time to go right for a successor.
bd5.jpg

#10 socermania2

socermania2

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Mar 23 2010, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I'm aware, the DSi sold nowhere near what they expected. Most folks just went with the DS Lite. Which is probably why they're doing this; the upgrade approach didn't work this time, so I guess they figure it's time to go right for a successor.

DSi was kinda a waste of money, though it's altogether a much better system than the DS Lite was.

Still hope Gen 5 Pokemon isn't on the system unsure.gif
BLACK AND WHITE

#11 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

3D game system?

Oh God, Virtual Boy flashbacks. Red. It's all red. It burns! Give me back my eyes! ARGH!

Well, it's an interesting idea, and with how popular the 3D movies have been lately, it's probably a step in the right direction. And by right direction, I mean the one with the huge pile of money at the end. Go money.

#12 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (socermania2 @ Mar 23 2010, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DSi was kinda a waste of money, though it's altogether a much better system than the DS Lite was.

Depends on what you're looking for. If a smaller size and slightly bigger screens are your bag, then the DSi is probably good. If you have GBA games, however, it's more of a downgrade than anything. Really, it was about as pointless a model as you could get and most folks seemed to realize that.

I've still got my DS phat, but if I were to upgrade in any way it would likely be a DS Lite, if only for the brighter screen.
bd5.jpg

#13 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

Why the freck does everything suddenly need to be in 3D?

uc.png

#14 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE (Edward Uzumaki @ Mar 23 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why the freck does everything suddenly need to be in 3D?

You noticed that trend too >.>

Now they are starting to sell 3D TVs, like LCD/HD is now suddenly out of style. Now tell me...why the heck would I want to spend $300 dollars on a pair of 3D glasses that goes with my $X-thousand tv dry.gif

#15 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:54 AM

It was bound to happen; 3D's going to be the next generations HD.
bd5.jpg

#16 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:03 AM

Nintendo has became nothing but a cash cow, since their games don't hardly sell they have to keep make new DS spin-offs and probably Wii coming as well. sleep.gif

#17 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Mar 23 2010, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was bound to happen; 3D's going to be the next generations HD.

Which is kind of funny because it was the 80s generation's own first~

#18 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 23 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which is kind of funny because it was the 80s generation's own first~

Time to get your 3D, on. biggrin.gif

Here's the link just in case someone want's to buy it to fit in the future! happy.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 24 March 2010 - 02:30 AM.

#19 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:55 AM

Alright Steve Jobs it's time to get working on that new IPhone3DS! I need to upgrade my Iphone to the 3D era if I want to be uptodate with rest of the hipsters. hm.png

#20 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:38 AM

As far as I understand, this isn't another DS. It's a legitimate sequel to the machine, instead of just another "upgrade". The 3DS isn't even the name of the machine, but rather the codename of the project, which I find quite fitting if they want to (and they better) keep their dual screens. If they follow the trend they set since day one, the next handheld will be on par with the GameCube in power which is pretty damn awesome.

This is also a great chance for Microsoft to let out some new rumours about the handheld Xbox, but I suppose they'll wait for E3 as well. With Apple making moves on the handheld market with their iPhone/iPod Touch-games the other companies can't afford to lag behind. As usual, I'm more than happy about this, and I'll preorder it as soon as I can. I could wait for the 3DSi XL2 or whatever, but I think I can stick with the original machine once again. BRING IT ON NINTENDO, AND DON'T FORGET MY NEXT HANDHELD ZELDA!

Also, the DS is by far the best gaming platform on the market right now imo, and I think it's a better idea/machine than the gameboys ever were (and I'm not talking specs here). Handheld kings indeed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users