WTF?! Law system Trayvon Martin George Zimmerman

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

Source: http://news.msn.com/...d-degree-murder

Anyone who follows the news since last year, a 17-year old African-American kid named Trayvon Martin was murdered by George Zimmerman who was proclaimed as the Neighborhood Watch when he was told by 911 not to pursued the kid, just because he was wearing a hoodie (on a February night, in Florida) looking, in his own words, "suspcious" . But he did went out anyways, then some sort of fight happened which result the 17-year-old boy being shot and was dead.

Well, today, the jury found Zimmerman not guilty of 2nd-degree murder.

What. The. kitten?! Really?!!! 

This pissing me off. Not in a racial issue (which we still haven't fixed in the US and it makes me angry because Zimmerman pulled a stereotype-card on the boy), but more like HOW THE kittening HELL?! He went scotch free of charges! 

And the evidence issue? Well, obviously Zimmerman isn't telling the truth because he and his defense team was trying to say "it's self-defense" (another issue, why that law exist) in order to get his ass out so he would not go to jail or get the death penalty.  And we don't even know that if Trayvon even smoked pot in his life (I don't know how that came about, again someone on Zimmerman's defense team was pulling the stereotype card), just to make the kid look like a villain or some sorts.

Something is wrong with our law system.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#2 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

And yet, that LoL player who jokingly said "Yeah, then I will shoot up a school and eat children's still beating hearts" gets thrown in jail and may soon get 15 years and got a $500,000 bail.

Kind of funny when the real criminals get set free, but just because of a stupid terrorism scare they throw this guy in prison. You're right our justice system has gotten really dumb lately.

Well, can't do anything about it now. Just like the Casey Anthony case

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#3 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

I actually cried.......

....it just sucks........I don't even know......

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#4 megi

megi

Resident Gardener

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

Ugh that's so depressing...I've been following the case as well... :mad: don't know how to express how frustrated I am about it. I was up late last night and this morning waiting for a good verdict.

tumblr_n17tev6vc61t0ss41o1_500.jpg

"You've got the need. You've got the dream" 絆ってなんだ?

GNS for life

#5 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Can we not have this on this board?  Or at least move it into the politics discussions?  It is so volatilely (and politically) charged, it's just begging for a flame war....

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#6 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

I'm inclined to close it. This won't end well. There isn't even a chance for that.

#7 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Can we not have this on this board?  Or at least move it into the politics discussions?  It is so volatilely (and politically) charged, it's just begging for a flame war....

Not necessarily. I believe people are mature enough to have a conversation about current events, without it devolving into a 'flame war'.

From what I've seen all over NO ONE is happy about this verdict...no one except perhaps Zimmerman and his attorneys. Everyone else from Facebook to blogs and articles, is pretty upset with how this all turned out.

I'm actually pretty curious to get Nate's opinion on the whole trial and the outcome, considering he's a lawyer himself.

Edit - Well, he posted right before I did =p
And again, I don't see why we need to close it, when so far no one has given us any reason to do so.

#8 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Let me put it this way:  The anger expressed in this thread, and about this case in general, is such that I am afraid of expressing my opinion.

Edited by desaix, 14 July 2013 - 06:26 AM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#9 Tokura Misaki

Tokura Misaki

左京さん最推し❤

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

The US court needs Phoenix Wright.  :hm:

#10 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

The US court needs Phoenix Wright.  :hm:

XD sure do

#11 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

You guys really want it? I actually share Desaix's opinion about being afraid to post. I have a contrary opinion, but I'll go ahead and stick my neck out.

You won't like it. I think the case was a pile of horsesh*t and that the original prosecutor was right to decline it. Alan Dershowitz thinks the prosecutors should be disbarred. I wouldn't go that far, but I don't think much of Corey and her team for this. 

A few thing must be kept in mind.

The first is what "Not Guilty" means. It does not mean he is innocent. In criminal cases,the burden of proof rests with the State and it never shifts to the defendant. The State must also prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. In civil cases, it's preponderance of the evidence, which means more likely than not. Then there is clear and convincing (child custody case in my state). Beyond a reasonable doubt is higher. So, if a jury gets a case and at the end cannot figure out who did what, it's a not guilty. If they think it probably happen, but still have some doubt, it's not guilty. Not Guilty, means the state failed to prove it's case.

In the process of laying waste to his own argument, Derock hits on the basic problem with case. "Some sort of fight." By your own admission, Derock, you don't know how the fight began. Unfortunately for the prosecution, this makes it exceptionally difficult to overcome a self-defense claim, if not impossible. In my State, all that is necessary to raise a self-defense claim is a "scintilla" of evidence, which is a really really low standard. You can do it using state witnesses, other fact witnesses, or the defendant. There is no set method. Once the issue is raise, it's the state's duty to overcome it. The same was true of the prosecution. 

Zimmerman could have been following him because he where a hoodie like Derock said. He could have been doing it because he hated blacks. He could have been standing their flipping the kid the bird. Zimmerman said it was because there had been a rash if Burglaries, which were committed by black people, and here was a black guy who he didn't recogize wandering around the community. Zimmerman stated in the 911 he thought the guy was high. The toxicology report bore that out (which is one of the places the weed came from). Even if you don't believe him, there is no evidence he was guilty of a crime or that he did anything to invalidate his self-defense claim, like starting the fight.  All the 911 DISPATCHER said was they didn't need Zimmerman to follow him. Whether he as a practical matter should or should not is irrelevant, unless you can use it to show he started the fight, but it's not even close to being able to do that. He had no legal duty to do so. So unless, Zimmerman started the fight...the prosecution was totally screwed.

How could the jury have known who started the fight? I don't see how anyone knows based on the evidence present. The only evidence of the actual confrontation is that Martin was on top of him, beating him MMA style, a fact supported the injuries to Zimmerman's head. People have been trying to make hay of Zimmerman's injuries being minor, but it misses the point. Self-defense-Deadly Force only requires that there be a reasonable belief you are about to suffer Serious Bodily Injury or Death. You don't have to wait until SBI has been inflicted on you and it should be clear why that is. 

The other piece of evidence: who was asking for help. I don't see how the jury could decide either way. All they got where invested witnesses on both sides. Prosecutors tend to lose swearing matches because it leaves jurors in a position who not being able to tell who they should believe which = a big fact NG in criminal cases. A jury saying "I don't know" is NG.

Finally, the state's star witness: No matter what she heard over the phone, she didn't know who started the fight anymore than anyone else and she sunk her own credibility she said she couldn't read a letter she claimed to have written. Her testimony was a total disaster. 

Remember the charge: Murder 2 and what it requires. The mental state is a "depraved mind" which has a specific definition in Florida. The state has to prove this regardless of whether Zimmerman invokes self-defense or not. And the prosecution had nothing to work with here. The fact that he continued to follow just doesn't get you there, especially when you consider Zimmerman's role as a neighborhood watchman and the fact that it happened at the end of a fight of totally unknown origins. I didn't see any credible evidence that would refute the reason Zimmerman claimed he was following him and Martin was still on top of him beating the crap out of him. 

The prosecution's own witnesses spent as much time helping the defense as they did the state, and it wasn't just the cops. 

I am not here sing Zimmerman's praises. The jury had to decide whether the State proved its case. It didn't come close to doing so. The prosecution knew it, too.

This was a horse-kitten case and the verdict given was the correct one.

Derock, do you mean the Stand your Ground law? Because it's hard to believe you don't understand why self-defense is a defense. If you do, just so you know...this wasn't a stand your ground case. It's not the same thing.

EDIT: You could argue the dispatch was wrong to instruct them to do that. When law enforcement shows up to find the guy, how are they to know they found the one Zimmerman was talking about? When people call in Drunk Driver's from the road, I generally prefer the driver continue to follow the guy until cops show up to make sure it's the same car the citizen called in about. It helps when developing your probablyecause for the stop, especially if you can;' make out the plate.

#12 StrikerTheNoble

StrikerTheNoble

The guy who changes his obsesions way too often.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts
  • Interests:Winning the fanboy rivalry with FoolishYoungling

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Wow, just wow.

I don`t like the USA all that much but it has some good ideas. The legal system for one is done farely well and the problems it has are shared by most western countries.

@ Nate.

What you`re saying is that a self-defence claim is not limited by immediate danger to yourself, or people of short proximity? From what I understood the law is that basicly he pulls a gun you shoot. But I guess that was a missconception.

But honesly am I the only one who was reminded of southpark when reading the article. You know the episode where they went hunting. It`s all good as long as you yell "IT`S COMMING RIGHT FOR US" 

tumblr_nb92ixykOu1s7xenwo1_400.gif

OTP: NaruSaku; Favorite crack pairing: NaruIno

Runner-ups:AstridxHiccup (How to train your dragon),SusanxReed, WallyxKuki (Kids next door);  AshxMisty; ThorxSif

#13 Quinny52

Quinny52

Numquam Moribimur

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Sports, Gym, Martial Arts, Property

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

@Nate River - Actually, Nate I found your post to be rather insightful, and helped shed some light on the case for me (since the story has all but died down over in the UK). As frustrating as it must be for many, I get what you mean; the evidence put forward HAD to eliminate all reasonable doubt of the events of that day, and it was simply not sufficient and/or not conclusive enough to do so. You're correct, 'Not guilty' does NOT mean 'Innocent', I can only imagine what the Jury had to go through when the evidence (or lack of) whittled the case down to one party's word against the other's.

I suppose the niggling question now is; where does the case go from here? No doubt the verdict will not sit well with many, and I can imagine racial tensions could escalate.

If there's one thing I have learned In my short time on this Earth

Devotion should be owed not earned Only you determine what you're worth

Gustav Wood - Young Guns

#14 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

Sorry I totally messed up your post. I clicked edit by mistake. Here is my response:

The dude followed the guy for looking suspicious even afther being told by the actual police not too, and the kid ended up dead. In Texas the verdict would be pretty clear.

Explain to me how this shows Beyond a Reasonable Doubt that Zimmerman lacked a reasonable belief that he was about to suffer SBI or death or that he had "depraved mind" as defined by Florida law, which is necessary for Murder 2. 

The sad part is that since he was proven not guilty he can not be put on trial for the same offence. So murder 2 is off the table for good.

No, that is not what I am saying. And he was not proven Not Guilty. A NG verdict means the STATE did not prove he was guilty BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT. Zimmerman as the defendant, was not required to prove a damn thing.

You have to have a reasonable belief of imminent fear of Serious Bodily Injury or Death. You do not have to actually suffer either. If I pulled a knife and went at you and you shot me, you'd be fine. You don't have to wait until I've stabbed you before you can shoot me. Would be pretty stupid if you did would it not? Likewise, Zimmerman doesn't have to sit their  and take it until the moment he is about to die before he can claim self-defense. 

I suppose the niggling question now is; where does the case go from here? No doubt the verdict will not sit well with many, and I can imagine racial tensions could escalate.

As a criminal matter, it's dead. Double Jeopardy prohibits him from being retried. The family still could sue him civilly and could win since the burden of proof is so much lower. I don't think they should win that either, but as a legal matter, they could. That's what happened to OJ.

I can only imagine what the Jury had to go through when the evidence (or lack of) whittled the case down to one party's word against the other's

I actually worry people watching this will recognize them and plaster their information all over the place. If they are on the receiving end of intimidation for doing their civic duty, those who do so should go to prison.

#15 StrikerTheNoble

StrikerTheNoble

The guy who changes his obsesions way too often.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts
  • Interests:Winning the fanboy rivalry with FoolishYoungling

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Sorry I totally messed up your post. I clicked edit by mistake. Here is my response:

Explain to me how this shows Beyond a Reasonable Doubt that Zimmerman lacked a reasonable belief that he was about to suffer SBI or death or that he had "depraved mind" as defined by Florida law, which is necessary for Murder 2. 

No, that is not what I am saying. And he was not proven Not Guilty. A NG verdict means the STATE did not prove he was guilty BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT. Zimmerman as the defendant, was not required to prove a damn thing.

You have to have a reasonable belief of imminent fear of Serious Bodily Injury or Death. You do not have to actually suffer either. If I pulled a knife and went at you and you shot me, you'd be fine. You don't have to wait until I've stabbed you before you can shoot me. Would be pretty stupid if you did would it not? Likewise, Zimmerman doesn't have to sit their  and take it until the moment he is about to die before he can claim self-defense. 

Agreed. But he did follow him. Doesn`t that mean that he refused to take the proper precautions to insure his safety? I just kinda feels like running into a bear and claiming self defence when you shoot it. Had he walked away he would not be in any danger what-so-ever. But I do see your point. Also the article mentions that the boy was unarmed. So where exactly was the reasonable cause for fear of his own life? If you see a gun our a knife its one thing. But what if there was neither?

tumblr_nb92ixykOu1s7xenwo1_400.gif

OTP: NaruSaku; Favorite crack pairing: NaruIno

Runner-ups:AstridxHiccup (How to train your dragon),SusanxReed, WallyxKuki (Kids next door);  AshxMisty; ThorxSif

#16 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Agreed. But he did follow him. Doesn`t that mean that he refused to take the proper precautions to insure his safety? I just kinda feels like running into a bear and claiming self defence when you shoot it. Had he walked away he would not be in any danger what-so-ever. But I do see your point. Also the article mentions that the boy was unarmed. So where exactly was the reasonable cause for fear of his own life? If you see a gun our a knife its one thing. But what if there was neither?

Which is irrelevant. Requiring someone to take all proper precautions before being able to use Deadly Force is dumb because you often don't know your actions are going to lead to facing that situation.Smart or not, I doubt Zimmerman knew Martin was beat the crap out of him because he didn't head the 911 dispatcher Martin couldn't hear. You can't write laws like this for individual cases, so you have to think about Self-defense beyond what happened here. God forbi, I have people deciding my use of self-defense who are blessed with the hindsight, I don't get to have when it's actively happening to me. You're variation would make that a requirement.

When Martin was on top of him beating his head into the concrete. 

Also, again, the defense just has to provide enough to raise the issue. Once done, it was certainly was here, the prosecution must prove Beyond a reasonable doubt that he did not have a reasonable belief.

If you remember nothing else about what I say...keep in mind who had the burden here and what that burden was. That goes a long way to explaining what happened.

People can cause SBI or Death with their fists. 

#17 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

all I can say is.

if he really is innocent then I hope he will be able to live a normal life (because I'm sure people will find him sketchy after all of this)

but if he did do it.....then karma will surely hit him, because the truth always comes out eventually.

#18 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

I guess this thread is staying open, so I'll say this much:

When CNN invents a story claiming that Zimmerman used racist language ("kittening Coon") when he did not... (CNN story, Mar 21 2012; retracted April 5, 2012)

When NBC edits the 911 audio to make Zimmerman sound racist... (March 27th)

When ABC falsely claims Zimmerman was not injured on the night of the shooting, despite photo evidence of gashes on Zimmerman's head and a busted up nose... (retracted FOUR days later, despite being confronted with the photo evidence immediately)

When MSNBC contradicts the photos they were showing, themselves, to repeat that claim of no injury in a story a day later...

When the New York Times AGAIN alters the transcript of the 911 call (on April 1, 2012, four days after NBC was caught doing the same thing) to make Zimmerman sound racist...

When the prosecution attempts to withhold evidence and is caught at it (http://www.cnn.com/2...ring/index.html )...

When the judge in the case does this:  http://www.nationalr...itrios-halikias ...

I find myself far more likely to believe a conviction of Zimmerman would have been more a travesty of justice than a not guilty verdict.

I'm not saying that Zimmerman, on his own merits, deserved to get away with shooting Trayvon Martin.  What I believe is simpler than that:  With the way everything was handled, from the trial in the media to the way the prosecution handled the case to the bizarre handling of the case by the judge, I could not view the possibility of a guilty verdict with anything better than skepticism that he had been allowed a truly fair trial, either before the law or in the court of public opinion.

Or, put another way, I am left feeling happier that this case may have allowed a guilty man to go free than I would have felt about a possibly innocent man being railroaded by both yellow journalism and judicial and prosecutorial misconduct.

Edited by desaix, 14 July 2013 - 02:30 PM.

-Tonbo

#19 Jake

Jake

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

I'm actually glad Zimmerman was found not guilty, I thought fore sure that he would be convicted of Manslaughter as a compromise verdict because I was sure Murder 2 was a pipedream at this point. And when the prosecution tried to get Murder 3 as an option my thoughts were "you have got to be kidding me :facepalm: ". One of my pet peeves about this trial and the media coverage of it was how they were calling Trayvon a kid, he was a 17 years old, at 17 years old you may not be an adult legally and mentally, but physically at 17 your are an adult.

There is an old saying, I think it goes something like this "It is better that 10 guilty men walk free then one innocent man be punished for a crime he did not commit".

HampESig_zpsfc7d2080.jpg

#20 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Glad you didn't close this thread Nate. Enjoyed reading your posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users