Science Fiction becomes Science Fact

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Wow. Just wow. It really does take your breath away sometimes, when we make such amazing leaps in technology o.o

http://news.yahoo.co...-133123371.html

#2 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

Technology can be pretty amazing in how it advances. The past year or so it was discovered that there's even a way to travel at warp speed without needing power at such a scale you'd require the mass of Jupiter or whatever. Obviously, it has problems that would need to be worked out, but the fact that it can be done at all given how the universe works is just amazing.

Science will never stop surprising us.

Edited by dl316bh, 03 June 2013 - 06:31 AM.

bd5.jpg

#3 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

Technology can be pretty amazing in how it advances. The past year or so it was discovered that there's even a way to travel at warp speed without needing power at such a scale you'd require the mass of Jupiter or whatever. Obviously, it has problems that would need to be worked out, but the fact that it can be done at all given how the universe works is just amazing.

Science will never stop surprising us.

Science and technology can be simply breathtaking :yes:

~~~~~~~~~~~

And just WOW again. Something this intricate and amazing was created from 3D printing -

http://createdigital.../atomguitar.jpg

Mind-blowing @.@

#4 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

I'm a bit worried about the potential to abuse the 3D printing tech - people have already figured out how to make working guns, which is scary as hell - but the same can be said for every technology. It's still pretty amazing.

Science and technology can be simply breathtaking :yes:

It's the beautiful thing about living in this era. So much crazy cool stuff discovered and more coming all the time. If the Mars One thing actually pans out, we'll have people on Mars within the next ten years. Mars! Where did this possibility exist before except in fiction?

bd5.jpg

#5 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'm a bit worried about the potential to abuse the 3D printing tech - people have already figured out how to make working guns, which is scary as hell - but the same can be said for every technology. It's still pretty amazing.

It's the beautiful thing about living in this era. So much crazy cool stuff discovered and more coming all the time. If the Mars One thing actually pans out, we'll have people on Mars within the next ten years. Mars! Where did this possibility exist before except in fiction?

I'll admit it gives me goosebumps when I think about some of the beyond amazing things we humans can think up =3

Was just watching a program on Newton, Leonardo, and my all-time favourite scientist Einstein, and I just marvel at the genius leaps the human mind can make at times @.@

#6 jworks

jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:41 AM

3-D printing is really cool but has been around a while, I've used one before at school. When you understand how it works it isn't as advanced technology as you'd think though. However I do share the concerns that others have about the new accessibility to lawfully controlled objects such as weapons. As soon as the printers become a bit more widely used, you can kiss all engineering patents goodbye. Lets say a company has put millions of dollars into developing and engineering a device or mechanism, they would file a patent and would have sole ownership of the design, also being the sole provider to consumers of that design. But here comes a 3-D scanner and printer and you can just take one, scan it, and then print an infinite number of your own for free. I think I can say for sure that wide-spread, public use of 3-D printers will change the entire consumer market, and beyond in way we can't yet predict. 

#7 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

I have one at my school too XD

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#8 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

Psh. When I went to school we had regular 'ol Xerox printers, not these 'new-fangled' thingamabobs =p

My how times have changed~ :wink:

#9 jworks

jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

haha well I happen to go to an industrial design school so the product and environment design departments need them so I lucked out :D

#10 Tokura Misaki

Tokura Misaki

左京さん最推し❤

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Science is going too far sometimes.

#11 Killer Bee's Album

Killer Bee's Album

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm thinking a lot of naughty things to print.

#12 jworks

jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

I'm thinking a lot of naughty things to print.

haha here I am thinking about all the action figures I could print out like a nerd!

#13 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Twenty pounds says this printer-business will get out of hand, and lead to unimaginable amounts of crime, cyber-stealing, and general mayhem. (It might not happen as well, but I like to think on the down-side, on how horrible this can- and probably will- turn out).

#14 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

There was a podcast from "stuff you should know" recently that covered alot of this in general.

And yea I'm there with sakura blossoms, when I went to school when only had bubble jet and laser printers!
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#15 jworks

jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

Twenty pounds says this printer-business will get out of hand, and lead to unimaginable amounts of crime, cyber-stealing, and general mayhem. (It might not happen as well, but I like to think on the down-side, on how horrible this can- and probably will- turn out).

The same could have been predicted of every technologic leap, and monstrosities are guaranteed to happen-just like every other technologic leap. Nuclear energy, meet the A-bomb. The Cold War, meet the internet. saving tech can come out of horrors and horrors can come out of tech that was meant for good. The human race never advances, as much as we gain ground in certain areas, we lose it in others.

#16 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

Can you imagine how easy it would be to, I donno, print a gun out of a thing like that? Sure, it'd be plastic, but It'probably work. Just the thought scares me.

#17 jworks

jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

@Cupcake-chan yeah it is scary, someone already has figured out how to print a working one. But realistically it isn't hard to get your hands on a real one in the first place (at least in the US). Ironically, it would be cheaper to get a real one too lol. A 3d printer of the right size would be several thousand dollars where is you could pick up a cheap handgun for a few hundred dollars.

#18 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

"Scientific advancement"? What, exactly, could you get from this machine that you couldn't get already? Plus, "gain ground"? This isn't ground-gaining, it's slipping down a slope into a fiery pit with a complimentary lolipop. Here's a quote to put it into perspective, on a similar subject (namely on comedian Frankie Boyle's fears about the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland):

""There's a one-in-fifty-million chance that it could create a black-hole, which would end the Universe. Now, I would argue that if there's any chance of that, well, if, if my kid said to me, 'Could I- Could I get a train-set, up in the loft?', I would go 'Okay'; if he said, 'Could I get a train-set that might end the Universe?', I'd say 'Hm, what about a bike?'."

#19 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

"Scientific advancement"? What, exactly, could you get from this machine that you couldn't get already? Plus, "gain ground"? This isn't ground-gaining, it's slipping down a slope into a fiery pit with a complimentary lolipop. Here's a quote to put it into perspective, on a similar subject (namely on comedian Frankie Boyle's fears about the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland):

""There's a one-in-fifty-million chance that it could create a black-hole, which would end the Universe. Now, I would argue that if there's any chance of that, well, if, if my kid said to me, 'Could I- Could I get a train-set, up in the loft?', I would go 'Okay'; if he said, 'Could I get a train-set that might end the Universe?', I'd say 'Hm, what about a bike?'."

It can't create a black hole :roll:

It would take literally thousands, even tens of thousands of years just to create a couple of grams of dark matter/energy enough to create a black hole. Read up the science of it, and try not to slip into the hysteria of random comedians quotes.

And sheesh, all this negativity. I'd rather focus on the fact that something like this could possibly POWER the economy. Instead of paying a jacked-up price for something that was made for pennies on the dollar in somewhere like China, you could instead print/make the parts for whatever tool or equipment you need. You'll have just saved yourself tons of money, which you can then turn around and put back into the economy, spending it on all the fun cool stuff you've always wanted, now that you're no longer penny-pinching for bills.

#20 jworks

jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

@Kamina-Yoshi  :headscratch: To be honest I cannot decipher anything you just said.

@Sakura-Blossoms I agree, like I mentioned earlier, there are negative risks, but potential for very positive things. Interesting what you say about the economic aspect. Even if the consumer had to still pay the same for everything they printed, it would mean that it has taken some reliance off of international entities like China since we aren't needing them for manufacturing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users