Close
Photo

The problem with dragon ball z pairings according to fans whats your opinion on this?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:03 AM

I see a lot of people defending bulma x goku?  As a kid i never saw this pairing as romantic and always thought chichi x goku made sense since they were younger and chichi had a thing for goku. 

But as i got older after watching some scenes i noticted that chichi can be a bit to controlling and her angry strict  mom formula got a bit tiring. I dont think chichi x goku is as nearly bad as naruhina or sasusaku but i can understand the critic that some fans are giving towards it. I also dont mind vegeta x bulma even if there relationship was random at first and vegeta killed all of gokus friends. he did become a better guy at the end of dbz.

Also toriyama in an interview stated that he didn't like chichi

Who do you prefer: Bulma or Chi-Chi?
Toriyama:
To be honest, I’m really not fond of Chi-Chi as a character. (laughs) In the middle of the comic, I started to think, “I don’t want to draw her anymore,” and, sort of as a way of spiting myself, I decided, “you’ll have to draw her if she gets married to Goku, so marry them off!” So, I drew her as a kind of punishment. (laughs)

Nakatsuru:
So that was your reason behind it! (laughs)

Toriyama:
The women I draw all have the same sort of personality. I can’t draw gentle girls; I only know how to draw ones who are strong-willed.

http://www.kanzenshu...ma-x-nakatsuru/

I also remember reading another interview where he outrightlty states he regrest pairing chichi with goku and mentioned how annoying chichi was.  :ermm:

http://strawberrysag...regarding-gokus

As much as Goku didn’t do many fatherly things, Piccolo was Gohan’s surrogate father.
Toriyama:
Goku isn’t interested in child-rearing, probably. He’s completely unqualified to be a father. (laughs) He doesn’t even have a job. Goku wants nothing other than to get stronger, and it feels like he doesn’t have any other instincts. So he shows absolutely no interest in things he’s not interested in. I’d bet he wouldn’t have had any interest in marriage, either.

!Source!

wow just wow.  :mellow:

Whats your opnion on this?

Edited by rikakim94, 15 August 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#2 jak123

jak123

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:26 AM

Videl and Gohan are the best couple in my opinion. I loved their build up in Z and I loved the Super episodes surrounding them.

I'm not a fan of Goku and Chichi because she's so annoying. Don't get me wrong, Goku is not a great dad, but I chalk that up mainly to him being an idiot. He clearly loves his kids and his wife despite her constant nagging. Goku is still a better father than Naruto.

I like Bulma and Vegeta overall.

In all honesty I thought Bulma would end up with Goku for the longest time. What would have made Future Trunks more interesting is if he only existed because Goku died in that timeline and Vegeta got with Bulma who was heartbroken over Goku.

Even in Super after Bulma and Vegeta have been together for a number of years and he's embraced his marriage, she still relies on Goku a lot more. Like there's this one point in Super where Goten and Kid Trunks are talking to Bulma during the Zamasu arc where she tells them to believe in Goku. Vegeta overhears this and is clearly hurt because of it.

Though despite them not going romantic, Goku and Bulma probably have the closest relationship in the entire series.

Edited by jak123, 15 August 2018 - 03:27 AM.

#3 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Videl and Gohan are the best couple in my opinion. I loved their build up in Z and I loved the Super episodes surrounding them.

I'm not a fan of Goku and Chichi because she's so annoying. Don't get me wrong, Goku is not a great dad, but I chalk that up mainly to him being an idiot. He clearly loves his kids and his wife despite her constant nagging. Goku is still a better father than Naruto.

I like Bulma and Vegeta overall.

In all honesty I thought Bulma would end up with Goku for the longest time. What would have made Future Trunks more interesting is if he only existed because Goku died in that timeline and Vegeta got with Bulma who was heartbroken over Goku.

Even in Super after Bulma and Vegeta have been together for a number of years and he's embraced his marriage, she still relies on Goku a lot more. Like there's this one point in Super where Goten and Kid Trunks are talking to Bulma during the Zamasu arc where she tells them to believe in Goku. Vegeta overhears this and is clearly hurt because of it.

Though despite them not going romantic, Goku and Bulma probably have the closest relationship in the entire series.

tumblr_n5s4bmdHB01tnr1zpo2_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_n5s4bmdHB01tnr1zpo1_1280.jpgtumblr_n5s4bmdHB01tnr1zpo3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n034pvskYT1tnr1zpo1_500.jpg

Appreantly japanese fans still ship them and made doujinshis back then that had the bulma x goku ship. wow.

To be fare i dont see goku liking anyone back romanticly not even his wife i agree with toriyama about goku seeing everyone as bestfriends rather than a lover.

Edited by rikakim94, 15 August 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#4 jak123

jak123

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:03 PM

tumblr_n5s4bmdHB01tnr1zpo2_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_n5s4bmdHB01tnr1zpo1_1280.jpgtumblr_n5s4bmdHB01tnr1zpo3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n034pvskYT1tnr1zpo1_500.jpg

Appreantly japanese fans still ship them and made doujinshis back then that had the bulma x goku ship. wow.

To be fare i dont see goku liking anyone back romanticly not even his wife i agree with toriyama about goku seeing everyone as bestfriends rather than a lover.

I don't hate the idea of Goku having a spouse. I just didn't like the way they did it. I liked Chichi as a child, but then she doesn't appear for the lat half until the end and Goku automatically marries her. I didn't like that.

#5 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:55 PM

I see a lot of people defending bulma x goku?  As a kid i never saw this pairing as romantic and always thought chichi x goku made sense since they were younger and chichi had a thing for goku. 

But as i got older after watching some scenes i noticted that chichi can be a bit to controlling and her angry strict  mom formula got a bit tiring. I dont think chichi x goku is as nearly bad as naruhina or sasusaku but i can understand the critic that some fans are giving towards it. I also dont mind vegeta x bulma even if there relationship was random at first and vegeta killed all of gokus friends. he did become a better guy at the end of dbz.

Also toriyama in an interview stated that he didn't like chichi

Who do you prefer: Bulma or Chi-Chi?
Toriyama:
To be honest, I’m really not fond of Chi-Chi as a character. (laughs) In the middle of the comic, I started to think, “I don’t want to draw her anymore,” and, sort of as a way of spiting myself, I decided, “you’ll have to draw her if she gets married to Goku, so marry them off!” So, I drew her as a kind of punishment. (laughs)

Nakatsuru:
So that was your reason behind it! (laughs)

Toriyama:
The women I draw all have the same sort of personality. I can’t draw gentle girls; I only know how to draw ones who are strong-willed.

http://www.kanzenshu...ma-x-nakatsuru/

I also remember reading another interview where he outrightlty states he regrest pairing chichi with goku and mentioned how annoying chichi was.  :ermm:

http://strawberrysag...regarding-gokus

As much as Goku didn’t do many fatherly things, Piccolo was Gohan’s surrogate father.
Toriyama:
Goku isn’t interested in child-rearing, probably. He’s completely unqualified to be a father. (laughs) He doesn’t even have a job. Goku wants nothing other than to get stronger, and it feels like he doesn’t have any other instincts. So he shows absolutely no interest in things he’s not interested in. I’d bet he wouldn’t have had any interest in marriage, either.

!Source!

wow just wow.  :mellow:

Whats your opnion on this?

I..... don't have much interest in debating on it, it is what it is. My two cents though, Japanese fans and probably alot of westerners  might just take too much at face value that JUST because co protagonists of a series are a boy and a girl that they would be a couple and that is not a wrong assumption, but sometimes it gets subverted. however where this differs from Naruto is that no couple besides Gohan X Videl had any real romantic build up so slapping them together last minute is not ruining any actual development to  the romance subplot because there was none.

As for the last point, if that is to debunk the Goku X Chichi paring then that applies to Goku X Bulma too. Goku wouldn't think about rearing any child he has with Bulma either and would probably be just as a-romantic to Bulma as he is to Chichi :zaru: So there was not point of using that as an argument. 

Edited by Phantom_999, 15 August 2018 - 10:57 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#6 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:53 PM

I..... don't have much interest in debating on it, it is what it is. My two cents though, Japanese fans and probably alot of westerners  might just take too much at face value that JUST because co protagonists of a series are a boy and a girl that they would be a couple and that is not a wrong assumption, but sometimes it gets subverted. however where this differs from Naruto is that no couple besides Gohan X Videl had any real romantic build up so slapping them together last minute is not ruining any actual development to  the romance subplot because there was none.

As for the last point, if that is to debunk the Goku X Chichi paring then that applies to Goku X Bulma too. Goku wouldn't think about rearing any child he has with Bulma either and would probably be just as a-romantic to Bulma as he is to Chichi :zaru: So there was not point of using that as an argument. 

What I find so funny is as Toriyama said he can’t draw gentle girls; I only know how to draw ones who are strong-willed.

Meaning that he might never have created Hinata if he did Naruto.

#7 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

He says that, but Chichi was sort of Meek, blushy, and overall super feminine as a kid  :zaru:

Edited by Phantom_999, 17 August 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#8 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:01 PM

If Goku liked anyone romantically, it would have been Bulma. But he doesn't.

He married Chi Chi because he felt like he should and saw no real reason not to. So if Bulma had spoken up when Chi Chi talked about getting married to Goku, he would have gone with whatever Bulma said on the matter. Like if she said it was wrong that Goku was being forced into this, then he would have told Chi Chi he couldn't. And if she said that she doesn't want him to marry Chi Chi because she loves him herself, then Goku would have married Bulma. He thought Bulma knew everything and he wouldn't have wanted her to be unhappy.

Chi Chi was only able to marry Goku because Bulma allowed it.

Edited by DrK, 17 August 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#9 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:29 PM

Guys, guys, guys... you know the reason why Goku married Chi-Chi. He thought marriage was food!

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#10 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

Oh yeah I know. Although if Bulma proposed to Goku he'd probably react the same way. But that means nothing, because Bulma never showed that intention to begin with

Point from me ultimately is, It's pointless to argue argue about how Goku should have gotten with Bulma because there are no romantic developments. Unlike "Naruto Trash!!!", Dragon Ball had no Romantic Desire on Goku's part, nor had he had any romantic development with any girls up until the point of him being married. If  nay sayers of Goku X Chichi are using any anti shipping arguments against it, SURPRISE SURPRISE those arguments can be turned on its head and be used Against Goku X Bulma. Goku was never romantic with Chichi? How do you know he would have behaved differently with Bulma then?  Goku had no developments with Chichi? Well did you ever see him blush when in Bulma's presence or the other way around? I don't. Bulma was thinking baybe she should have Married Goku during the Namek arc? Not good enough. Unless goku has second thoughts about Chichi too, that's not a deal breaker. Goku ultimately behaved no differently to Bulma  than he did to Chichi or the opposite sex in general, ever. If one  or the other showed any interes of any sort in the other, then sure whatever, but neither of them ever did until goku was in a committed relationship and Bulma was still viewing Yamcha as her boyfriend/fiancee, and that was only on Bulma's part, and it was just actually a question than direct confirmation because she was just surprised Goku had a kid already, and before her too in fact. Well that's how I take it at least

Edited by Phantom_999, 17 August 2018 - 08:00 PM.

#11 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

Guys, guys, guys... you know the reason why Goku married Chi-Chi. He thought marriage was food!

The End.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#12 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:05 AM

Oh yeah I know. Although if Bulma proposed to Goku he'd probably react the same way. But that means nothing, because Bulma never showed that intention to begin with

Point from me ultimately is, It's pointless to argue argue about how Goku should have gotten with Bulma because there are no romantic developments. Unlike "Naruto Trash!!!", Dragon Ball had no Romantic Desire on Goku's part, nor had he had any romantic development with any girls up until the point of him being married. If  nay sayers of Goku X Chichi are using any anti shipping arguments against it, SURPRISE SURPRISE those arguments can be turned on its head and be used Against Goku X Bulma. Goku was never romantic with Chichi? How do you know he would have behaved differently with Bulma then?  Goku had no developments with Chichi? Well did you ever see him blush when in Bulma's presence or the other way around? I don't. Bulma was thinking baybe she should have Married Goku during the Namek arc? Not good enough. Unless goku has second thoughts about Chichi too, that's not a deal breaker. Goku ultimately behaved no differently to Bulma  than he did to Chichi or the opposite sex in general, ever. If one  or the other showed any interes of any sort in the other, then sure whatever, but neither of them ever did until goku was in a committed relationship and Bulma was still viewing Yamcha as her boyfriend/fiancee, and that was only on Bulma's part, and it was just actually a question than direct confirmation because she was just surprised Goku had a kid already, and before her too in fact. Well that's how I take it at least

That's very right man like you said the only one we saw with growth as you said was Gohan and Videl; it's why so many fans love them together because we can see the growth that they both got and how deeply they both cared about each other, more so then, nH after all.

It's why it gets me angry when fans say Hinata is better than Videl, and yes some people think that they are few and they hardly say it cause one person who said that Hinata is better than Videl was chased away from the post and was badly attacked.

#13 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Interests:Games, Anime, OUAT....stuff I can't remember...and music!

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

I mean...Goku was a kid...she was a teenager...I saw a sibling relationship, ChiChi was around his age, so I felt it was more understanding that he went with her over Bulma but that's me. Vegeta and Bulma are perfect to me lol This author likes no one that he draws...this is why I don't watch it anymore, I feel detached from the characters

tumblr_m8a1skcZ6M1rx8yloo1_500.jpg

Joui Four

#14 jak123

jak123

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

I mean...Goku was a kid...she was a teenager...I saw a sibling relationship, ChiChi was around his age, so I felt it was more understanding that he went with her over Bulma but that's me. Vegeta and Bulma are perfect to me lol This author likes no one that he draws...this is why I don't watch it anymore, I feel detached from the characters

Goku was 12 (Goku hadn't had a growth spurt yet + the art style made older kids look tiny) and Bulma was 16 when they first met. It's not that much of an age-gap. 

Edited by jak123, 18 August 2018 - 03:18 PM.

#15 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

Goku was 12 (Goku hadn't had a growth spurt yet + the art style made older kids look tiny) and Bulma was 16 when they first met. It's not that much of an age-gap. 

Age gap doesn't matter to me, all I saw was a brother and sister relationship, ChiChi was foreshadowed, so I saw ChiChi and Goku more than Bulma and Goku.

Joui Four

#16 jak123

jak123

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:28 AM

Age gap doesn't matter to me, all I saw was a brother and sister relationship, ChiChi was foreshadowed, so I saw ChiChi and Goku more than Bulma and Goku.

Chichi was more akin to Hinata. She had a shallow crush on Goku and nothing more. Bulma and Goku's relationship turning romantic would have been alot more believeable. I mean, Bulma and Vegeta weren't foreshadowed ever. 

#17 jak123

jak123

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:29 AM

I technically forgot the other best couple alongside Videl and Gohan. I can't believe it either, but Krillin and 18. I love them together.

#18 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

Chichi was more akin to Hinata. She had a shallow crush on Goku and nothing more. Bulma and Goku's relationship turning romantic would have been alot more believeable. I mean, Bulma and Vegeta weren't foreshadowed ever. 

It wasn't foreshadowed but I enjoyed it when they showed it and I see ChiChi more like Sakura personality wise and it was foreshadowed when they made the promise, so I went with it. I mean that is my view on it, I never felt much romance in DBZ, I just watched it because it was good

Joui Four

#19 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:06 AM

It wasn't foreshadowed but I enjoyed it when they showed it and I see ChiChi more like Sakura personality wise and it was foreshadowed when they made the promise, so I went with it. I mean that is my view on it, I never felt much romance in DBZ, I just watched it because it was good

Chi Chi and Goku would be good if she continued being the way she was in the DB last tournament saga. Instead they turn her into this scary wife/mom caricature for comic relief and I don't really think it's funny, so to me the pairing is not great. Goku and Bulma had potential to be interesting if it happened but who knows if it would have actually turned out well..

Edited by DrK, 21 August 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#20 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

Chi Chi and Goku would be good if she continued being the way she was in the DB last tournament saga. Instead they turn her into this scary wife/mom caricature for comic relief and I don't really think it's funny, so to me the pairing is not great. Goku and Bulma had potential to be interesting if it happened but who knows if it would have actually turned out well..

If Goku's age was a little bit older in his debut, then him and Bulma could've make some sense. Although they did that stunt on Dragonball Evolution movie...

But yeah, I agree with you about Chi-Chi. That was Toriyama's fault on that since now it looks like for some reason can't develop her properly. It pissed me off that Super Dragon Ball Z (the video game for PS2 and Arcade) made her a very interesting playable character using her martial arts combined with Goku's Power Pole, the Bansho Fan for projectiles (Arika, the developer of the game, even gave her a special and super projectile based on her helmet attack) and the Flying Nimbus to keep up with the flying battles. Showing that is not only gave a shout out to the original series but made her an Action Mom trope properly (though I'm not sure about her being in battles during the Frieza Saga. Possibly in near the end of Saiyan Saga, but definitely in Cell Saga and then retired but trained Goten in Buu Saga).

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users