• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#21 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Chivalrysae @ Apr 23 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's really just they way things are. Almost every contest is a popularity contest. Who can apeal to the most people. That's why I don't like pageants and I don't like a lot of competitions. A lot of them are cookie cutter. But if that's the nature of the business and you kind of know going in, that's what it takes. Which is why I think it's so great that she stood up for herself. Being in the public light, you have to always be careful about what you say because people always over react. If she said that to me in conversation I wouldn't have thought anything of it. But that's the life you lead. With great power, comes great responsibility. smile.gif

True but in this case we have a judge injecting his own personal agenda to the competition. Its like if say, 50 Cent was a judge and asked her opinion of Rap Music and Vitamin Water

tongue.gif

Edited by Mik3, 23 April 2009 - 06:45 PM.

\

#22 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Been trying to find the Softball question miss north carolina was asked after Miss californias question but havent had any luck.

Still I think thats what annoys me as much as the fact that a political hot button question like that was used in the first place. Hilton himself admitted the answer cost her the crown. thats as much as a blatant addmission that he personaly made the decision to deny her the crown because her answer didnt match his.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#23 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

I didn't know he actually said that what made her loose the crown lol the Hilton's are nothing but spoiled brats that what they are.

#24 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Apr 23 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't know he actually said that what made her loose the crown lol the Hilton's are nothing but spoiled brats that what they are.

You do realize that Perez Hilton *isn't* his real name, and that he isn't related to the Hiltons that I think you're thinking about, like Paris Hilton.

#25 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Apr 23 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do realize that Perez Hilton *isn't* his real name, and that he isn't related to the Hiltons that I think you're thinking about, like Paris Hilton.

laugh.gif

I think he uses Perez hilton just because it sounds similar to Paris Hilton because he knows her etc etc.
\

#26 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Apr 23 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Know I feel retarded lol. and no I did not. I am not down with the celebrity world and so froth lol

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 23 April 2009 - 07:44 PM.

#27 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Apr 23 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Know I feel retarded lol. and no I did not. I am not down with the celebrity world and so froth lol

Sorry, wasn't trying to make you feel bad ^^

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Apr 23 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

I think he uses Perez hilton just because it sounds similar to Paris Hilton because he knows her etc etc.

Yeah, I think he did it for that reason too, and so people would think that he was related to 'celebrity' rolleyes.gif

#28 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Apr 23 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, wasn't trying to make you feel bad ^^

Yeah, I think he did it for that reason too, and so people would think that he was related to 'celebrity' rolleyes.gif

It ok ^^

#29 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

Not that I was rooting for Miss California, but I also saw that as a very unfair question. As someone earlier stated, tolerance has to happen on all sides.

Most (but definately not all) of the time, people with liberal opinions take on a view that their positions are absolutely right just because they break away from a perceived norm. Discarding all of our differences in background and upbringing (and adopting liberal views) to hold hands and sing Kumbaya isn't possible because our lives have shaped our character and our persona. We can make moves to understand eachother, but we can never be all the same. In a way, Perez is just as pro-conformity as the strictest of backwoods people.

I can't ignore the fact that I'm from a small town in the Midwest and was raised very traditionally. Other things along my life have kind of taken me away from some of the doctrines I grew up with, but there are plenty that I still retain. (For example, I'm fine with Gay marriage and Gay Rights, but I can't say that I condone the 'let's all rely on the government' mantra. You've gotta have some gumtion, otherwise you're just a follower. :/ )

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that Miss California did not condemn Homosexuals, she just didn't believe that they should be able to get a marriage liscense. That's her stance and she can vote on it. She should have explained it more in depth to explain that she just didn't agree with the prop, but I don't know whether she had the time. I don't watch pageants much.

(If we really want Miss America to represent the individuality of America though it's a beauty contest, there shouldn't be such conformist and cliche requirements.)

We should start a boycott of the Miss America Pageant. XD

Oh! Also, there is no absolute truth. XD (Even though that's an absolutist statement.) XD
tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#30 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (Saku-chan @ Apr 23 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not that I was rooting for Miss California, but I also saw that as a very unfair question. As someone earlier stated, tolerance has to happen on all sides.

Most (but definately not all) of the time, people with liberal opinions take on a view that their positions are absolutely right just because they break away from a perceived norm. Discarding all of our differences in background and upbringing (and adopting liberal views) to hold hands and sing Kumbaya isn't possible because our lives have shaped our character and our persona. We can make moves to understand eachother, but we can never be all the same. In a way, Perez is just as pro-conformity as the strictest of backwoods people.

I can't ignore the fact that I'm from a small town in the Midwest and was raised very traditionally. Other things along my life have kind of taken me away from some of the doctrines I grew up with, but there are plenty that I still retain. (For example, I'm fine with Gay marriage and Gay Rights, but I can't say that I condone the 'let's all rely on the government' mantra. You've gotta have some gumtion, otherwise you're just a follower. :/ )

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that Miss California did not condemn Homosexuals, she just didn't believe that they should be able to get a marriage liscense. That's her stance and she can vote on it. She should have explained it more in depth to explain that she just didn't agree with the prop, but I don't know whether she had the time. I don't watch pageants much.

(If we really want Miss America to represent the individuality of America though it's a beauty contest, there shouldn't be such conformist and cliche requirements.)

Oh! Also, there is no absolute truth. XD (Even though that's an absolutist statement.) XD

They give a 40 or 1 minute time for answering the question.

#31 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (Saku-chan @ Apr 23 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Precisely. I don't even know why she was condemned for an honest opinion... what would Perez Hilton have her say? She outright loves/hates same sex marriage?

And the crowd booing... what the hell? She's giving her honest opinion and saying that's how she was raised traditionally. The boo-ers honestly have me baffled.

Tolerance is a two way street, yes. I don't see why people have to be such idiots about what she said. I hope Perez feels good about himself. His biased decision just made an honest girl lose her prize.

This is why I hate it when people bring political topics into stuff like pageants. Better stick with the 'What would you do to help the Earth?' question.

At least the answer won't take away a crown. dry.gif

#32 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Apr 23 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They give a 40 or 1 minute time for answering the question.

Well that's kind of unfair to state all of your views on a complex issue in less than a minute. XD

They should allow for hours of discussion... which if it explores the problems sans BS, will prove to be way more interesting. =)
tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#33 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Saku-chan @ Apr 23 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that's kind of unfair to state all of your views on a complex issue in less than a minute. XD

They should allow for hours of discussion... which if it explores the problems sans BS, will prove to be way more interesting. =)

yeah it would.

#34 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:35 AM

I have no sympathy for Miss California, I'm not justifying Perez Hilton's actions they were unacceptable but at the same time I'm not gonna take her side.

uc.png

#35 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (UzumakiEdward85 @ Apr 23 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no sympathy for Miss California, I'm not justifying Perez Hilton's actions they were unacceptable but at the same time I'm not gonna take her side.

I not taking her sided I just stated that Preaz took away the freedom of speech

#36 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Apr 23 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I not taking her sided I just stated that Preaz took away the freedom of speech

How that's possible, I have no idea. I get the idea though.

He didn't 'take' away anything, he just voted against her winning the crown simply because he didn't tolerate her views. rolleyes.gif

#37 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Flag Football, Anime, Indoor Wall Climbing, Hiking, Running

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

I don't really take issue with her answer or with her losing the crown. It is what it is. The only thing I really take issue is the way Perez asked her such a pointed question and they way they twisted her words to make her into a target for anyone that is open to same sex marriages. That I felt was unfair.

Didn't the pageant used to have all the contestants answer the same question a long time ago? I could have sworn they used to be in a sound proof booth and come out and answer the same question. I really think as long as the questions are different, some candidates will get harder questions than others. I'm sure other contestants might have a hard time answering this question as well.

#38 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Apr 23 2009, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How that's possible, I have no idea. I get the idea though.

He didn't 'take' away anything, he just voted against her winning the crown simply because he didn't tolerate her views. rolleyes.gif

Um Sorry I just had a Tobi moment ( that what I call retarded moments) again.

#39 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:00 AM

No worries. I get what you're trying to say. smile.gif

#40 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, working out, and being online. :3

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:51 AM

Well, considering I disagree with how Ms. California answered the question, the fact still remains: Perez Hilton was totally biased. He had his right to be, but I was sort of amused at how everyone thought it was this big ol' fight between the two of them when it really was between Perez and ....the need for attention?

Oh well. One thing that bothered me was when she answered the question, in the clips that were shown around days after, the boo's were removed and replaced with clapping. Okay, regardless of whether you agreed with it or not. The truth is the truth. Those who saw it live, ALL remember boo's.

Now, onto her question. I respect her for saying her opinion, yes...BUT. Ms. America represents ALL OF AMERICA. Whether it's the gays, straights, whites, blacks, etc, she has to be POLITICALLY CORRECT. Ms. America can't be going around telling other groups what they do is wrong, and what she believes in. All in all, she should have answered with something like, "I love how in our country we can have the right to choose for ourselves. I think we should let the states decide on what they should do-" or something like that.

She has to believe in everyone, publicly. Privately, she can believe in anything she wants to. Anyway, Ms. North Carolina had already won the swimsuit and nightgown parts of the show, so whether or not Ms. California had answered it in a less biased way she would have still lost. Maybe it cost her the crown, but it's very unlikely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users