65 replies to this topic

#61 Orenji

Orenji

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm curious to see what his sentence will be.

I know its controversial when it comes to the mentally ill, but I believe that something has to be done with him. "Experts" are saying that he could have had a mental illness that was triggered by the stress of failing his test and that could have caused him to behave so. He was planning this for months, this wasn't suddenly triggered by one event. If he does not get the maximum penalty allowed by the state of Colorado or whichever one he is being tried in, I'm going to lose my faith in humanity. 12 people are dead and dozens more injured because of him, and even though I'm studying for a psych minor, he knew exactly what he was doing. And judging by his actions in the court room, he doesn't care. He is not mentally ill, he is a monster. He may have been a loner, but he included himself in society, a society that very clearly states that open fire in a crowded theater and killing is wrong, and he knew this. The Joker was a maniacal, psychotic murderer and if he wants to identify himself with the Joker, he should be treated as a maniacal murderder.

#62 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Orenji @ Jul 26 2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious to see what his sentence will be.

I know its controversial when it comes to the mentally ill, but I believe that something has to be done with him. "Experts" are saying that he could have had a mental illness that was triggered by the stress of failing his test and that could have caused him to behave so. He was planning this for months, this wasn't suddenly triggered by one event. If he does not get the maximum penalty allowed by the state of Colorado or whichever one he is being tried in, I'm going to lose my faith in humanity. 12 people are dead and dozens more injured because of him, and even though I'm studying for a psych minor, he knew exactly what he was doing. And judging by his actions in the court room, he doesn't care. He is not mentally ill, he is a monster. He may have been a loner, but he included himself in society, a society that very clearly states that open fire in a crowded theater and killing is wrong, and he knew this. The Joker was a maniacal, psychotic murderer and if he wants to identify himself with the Joker, he should be treated as a maniacal murderder.

Does Colorado have the death penalty? If it does, then probably that. If not then he;ll get a bunch of stacked life sentences for the murder and possible a bunch of max sentences for attempted murder if the DA decides to charge those as well.

I know in my state the charge would be multiple counts of Capital Murder (not Murder 1) and possible several attempted Capital Murder. In Texas Capital Murder has only two possible sentences:

Life without Parole or Death.

Mentally ill has two possible ways usually: incompetent to stand trial. There you are chunked into a mental facility until you are competent. If he is never competent he likely never gets out. This rarely works.

Not Guilty by reason of insanity: This also almost never works, but you also end up in mental ward. How long is uncertain though.

Because of what he did, I wouldn't expect either to work unless he is so far off his rocker that's it's undeniable even to an untrained eye. No jury or judge is going to want to make those findings in something like this. Although there is a famous child murder that got Not Guilty by reason on insanity. I'm pretty sure she is still in the mental ward after nearly 20 years.

#63 Chew

Chew

^ NaLu meine lub #ever1curr

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:omgawrsh y u do dis, Y U READING

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

James Holmes was formally charged with murder today in the Colorado shootings.

http://www.latimes.c...0,6940825.story

OTP and my Bby

#64 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Pikachew @ Jul 30 2012, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
James Holmes was formally charged with murder today in the Colorado shootings.

http://www.latimes.c...0,6940825.story

Looks like Colorado is the same as Texas then. Life in prison or death appear to be the only options if he is convicted.

#65 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Warner Bors. the studio behind the Dark Knight Rises volunteered to give donations to the victims of the shooting now that's what I call a kind gesture thank you Warner Bros.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#66 TerrorKing

TerrorKing

Glorified lurker of the deep!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

This is just terrible. Is nothing sacred anymore? I guess not. Just the fact that this guy had his home boobytrapped so that he could potentially kill even more innocent people. It's just so unreal.

I just hope that this bastard gets punished severely, insanity or not.

ragnorak-heavydose-500-2.jpg

Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die

Won't you run, live to fly,

fly to live, Aces high

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users