• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Naruto <3 ;Drawing anime ; Watching anime and K-dramas; NaruSaku <3

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

What time era do you guys think the Naruto characters are living in? based on what is shown in the manga and anime and the different settings and stuff? Do you think it's modern or far back?

tumblr_inline_ndxjyuuF571qlo98f.gif

#2 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

I have no idea. They seem to have technology whenever it's convenient to the story. I've heard laptops have been shown in the manga, yet we all know they don't have transportation.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 06 July 2014 - 06:21 AM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#3 natalieuciha

natalieuciha

Special Jounin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:ugh
    i'll just gonna say that im gonna be forever anti SS/NH/SK

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

they seem to have television,stove,fridges,radio stations,walkie talkies,telephones (if i can count endings or openings,and omakes)so maybe they're in a modern era..but its funny cause they dont seem to use neither telephones or tv's

plus their homes and furniture look very modern,have you seen sasuke's room?lol thats very modern

oh yea and the most importantly thing they seem  to lack are cars or motorcycles but i think ve seen they use carts ocasionaly in some movies(if that counts)

i dunno it seems to me like a modern era mixed with the era before 1900

Edited by natalieuciha, 06 July 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#4 Inferno180

Inferno180

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Think of it like this:

As ninja, they can move very fast so with this power would transportation for them be needed?

Otherwise kishi has said that it actually takes place around modern day, they have technolgy similar to ours, otherwise its kinda around a pre-2002 or so technological era, like in the 90s we had a lot of technology but the internet was still in its infancy, it didnt kick off until 2000 at least. But yeah the era is in a time like ours, just technology isn't fully built or diverse like ours, but instead some technology is also used to amplify the techniques of other ninja abilities like the yakamana clan using those helmets with batteries during the war. The Naruto world has tvs, cameras, lighting, convinence stores, laptops (though not like the computers we have) and a lot more. Its just again, either not advanced at what we have or otherwise tailored for use in that world. I mean there is a lot of machinery in the naruto universe but its not like ours.

If we really wanted to count the eras of naruto, there would be 4 from start to finish:

1. Kagyua and Hagoromo's era, we are still learning more about this and this was about 1,000 or more years ago.

2. The historical void era- this is the time between the sage era and warring states period where basically, so many centries pass for ninjutsu and clans to grow and develop, at some points the five countries are founded, and the tailed beasts grow but come to hate humanity. Kurama for instance was called an age old natural disaster. Black Zetsu spends this time also recording every fight of Asura and Indra transmigrants. Hagoromo does the same observing them from beyond death.

3. The warring states period, this was about 85 years at least before the start of the story, this is the era with hashirama and madara, their meetings, their conflicts, the start of the leaf and other villages.

4. The present era, this is the one we saw in the story most of the time and otherwise from the time of the village founding going forward we gradually saw the history of this aside from the present with naruto. This includes the wars, the conflicts, the histories of various characters within the village era, and otherwise the 9 tails attack as the start of the story and the main factor with it going forward.

When people insult my OTP

Insulting a man’s ship, be worse than insulting his mother.

#5 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

Naruto is a total alternate universe. No one in any era could ever do crazy jutsus or summon beasts. It's fictional. And with all the stuff they can do, they probably wouldn't even need a lot of technology. They're cool like that.

But if I were to guess... probably far back. Since it has a sort of old feel to it. They care about things that in modern times you wouldn't care much about. They're not very advanced either..

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#6 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Since I began reading the series I assumed that Naruto happened in an alternate universe, given differences in geography, technologic development... I think it is better reading it with that mindset.

Pretty funny, that is what I did with Dragon Ball. I decided that it was so different of our world that it could not be our world.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#7 dylanrivers10000

dylanrivers10000

Blow this up like pyromania-def leppard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Location:on the moon shadow and i blew up the earth, now along side the ENTIRE CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE, and the A-TEAM
  • Interests:proving people that being stereotypical about me and bashing me is impolite, and is just rude!!!

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

I have no idea. They seem to have technology whenever it's convenient to the story. I've heard laptops have been shown in the manga, yet we all know they don't have transportation.

you have a pic of minito or whatever he uses teleportation

Neil-Young-Rockin-In-The-Fre-101219.jpg

#8 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:42 AM

you have a pic of minito or whatever he uses teleportation

True. Not everyone are ninja or can use jutsu, though. Kishimoto has started that there's more to the world than what we see with the ninjas.

To my knowledge the story is based around some old Japanese legends and culture, so in that way it's old and set in the past. But as others pointed out there's no way it's set in our world. 

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#9 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:08 AM

Of course it is an AU, but Kishi was inspired by something.

To me it seems like the manga is set in a modernized world. But the infrastructure, system, and culture in general is very traditional. I think Kishi is just conservative and maybe he wants to take care of the old stuff. I notice a big difference in Hashirama's time and Naruto's time tho, especially with the way they dress. If I were to guess, I would say Naruto lives in an era based on the second half of the 20th century, while Hashi lived in the Edo period.

I'm no expert on Japanese history tho D:!!

Edited by sushi., 07 July 2014 - 01:09 AM.

ナルサク

#10 dylanrivers10000

dylanrivers10000

Blow this up like pyromania-def leppard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Location:on the moon shadow and i blew up the earth, now along side the ENTIRE CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE, and the A-TEAM
  • Interests:proving people that being stereotypical about me and bashing me is impolite, and is just rude!!!

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

i think this is based in our world but in another realm

Neil-Young-Rockin-In-The-Fre-101219.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #NarutoShippuden, #Naruto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users