Close
Photo

General Tech Thread

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

Poll: General Tech Thread (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you own a Crackberry? (Blackberry)

1. Yes. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No. (22 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Aug 3 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So does get what you pay for really apply to buying laptops? sweat.gif

It does for most of the case, though there ARE some laptops thats just ridiculously overpriced (iPad comes to mind?) but the reverse also holds true (Qosmio does have high price but considering the design and features, most of them definitely worth the money). The point on getting a laptop is compromise really, you just need to pick ones that fits your need the most with reasonable price. The problem with laptop is that unlike desktop (Which is nearly completely costumisable), they aren't exactly flexible, you just have to get what you can get.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#82 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Aug 2 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It does for most of the case, though there ARE some laptops thats just ridiculously overpriced (iPad comes to mind?) but the reverse also holds true (Qosmio does have high price but considering the design and features, most of them definitely worth the money). The point on getting a laptop is compromise really, you just need to pick ones that fits your need the most with reasonable price. The problem with laptop is that unlike desktop (Which is nearly completely costumisable), they aren't exactly flexible, you just have to get what you can get.

Thanks BlackLightning, will do. smile.gif

#83 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Aug 2 2010, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's nice.

Anyway. We've given you tips, but its really up to you to buy it now. On second thought... I think I should plug my laptop into my brother-in-law's 40" LCD TV downstairs.... mmmmmmmmmmmm... HDMI goodness.

Wow that is a great size but my little 26" was all I could avoid and it also easily sits on my dresser with my X-box 360.

#84 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Aug 4 2010, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow that is a great size but my little 26" was all I could avoid and it also easily sits on my dresser with my X-box 360.

at least you got HD TV... I don't even have it and have to make do with my 20" Acer LCD monitor for my PC

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

#85 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

Gamescom Computer Case design contest

Some awesome looking computer cases. biggrin.gif

#86 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Aug 22 2010, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol at the woman one.

#87 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Aug 22 2010, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, awesomeness!!I want that scorpion!

#88 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:52 AM

Guys, I am in a dilemma.

I need a new laptop. It has to meet these requirements:

1. 14" or smaller
2. Intel i3 or higher
3. 4GB DDR3 RAM or higher
4. Dedicated Graphics Card
5. $1000 or less

Can someone help me find some... or is anyone willing to sell? lol Thanks!

Edited by JoHamSandwich, 03 September 2010 - 01:55 AM.

#89 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

Dude, thats Super hard to find.... From the specs you give, your best bet would b Dell with their customization choice.

Well, found a few from:

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/L630/L630-ST2G01

http://laptops.toshi...M640/M645-S4050

I'll update the list if I found more smile.gif

Edited by BlackLightning, 03 September 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#90 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

http://www.logicbuy....ptop/19827.aspx

Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode)
4GB DDR3 1066MHz
500GB 7200RPM HDD
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450
Wireless-N; 6-cell battery
Windows 7 64-bit

$929.99

#91 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

Question: Is having a CD-drive worth it? I've had a eeepc for the past 3 years and while it is inconvenient at times, I hardly used it...

SO. Is having a CD-drive something I should be looking at. Because the Alienware M11x is seducing me lol.

#92 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Sep 7 2010, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Question: Is having a CD-drive worth it? I've had a eeepc for the past 3 years and while it is inconvenient at times, I hardly used it...

SO. Is having a CD-drive something I should be looking at. Because the Alienware M11x is seducing me lol.

Most games/software these days no longer require the CD/DVD to play because they use some system of DRM. As long as you have a way to turn that disc into an image and get it on your Alienware for the initial installation. Even for some of the older games I play that require discs, I just create an image so I don't have to have the discs with me on the go.

#93 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (roninmedia @ Sep 7 2010, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most games/software these days no longer require the CD/DVD to play because they use some system of DRM. As long as you have a way to turn that disc into an image and get it on your Alienware for the initial installation. Even for some of the older games I play that require discs, I just create an image so I don't have to have the discs with me on the go.

what he said. Though sometimes a DVD Rom can b quite convenient, especially for system back up bt otherwise you won't b using it much.

#94 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

Guys, I'm in serious trouble and I would be thankful for someone help. I buyed a quad core processor and I need to know if it can run in a p5gc-mx mother board, because the computer aways restart when I install it, and I don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome!

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#95 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (alexander @ Sep 11 2010, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys, I'm in serious trouble and I would be thankful for someone help. I buyed a quad core processor and I need to know if it can run in a p5gc-mx mother board, because the computer aways restart when I install it, and I don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome!

Always check the motherboard box to see if it supports the processor you're buying...

#96 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Following up on my request....

I bought my laptop! I decided with an ASUS U35JC.

-intel i3 370M 2.4ghz
-4gb ddr3 ram
-intel hd integrated w/ nvidia 310m gfx card (optimus)
-500gb 7200rpm drive
-13"

Got it for $927 shipped.

Sadly, it doesn't come with a built in cd-drive, but i bought an external one for 20 dollars, and it plays blu-ray yay!

I have to admit, that dell studio 14 was really tempting... but with taxes and stuff, it went up to almost 1200.

BTW, just got Left 4 Dead 2. Someone add me to their steam account! biggrin.gif

#97 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:17 AM

Ok, I seriously need to clean my desktop... any good idea how to clean it without having to pull out everything inside? I'm a bit reluctant to pull out the things inside coz I got quite troublesome items inside that can be quite a hassle to put back in... or just plain really easy to break if I didn't pull it correctly (My hard disk for one, coz it was already slightly cracked and I manage to have it fixed but if I pull it out even slightly too hard, the crack will open again and... well... lets just say it gonna be crazy....)

#98 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

Bottle of compressed air?

Or like a Swiffer duster, if you guys have those over there. Those can grab dust and other junk stuck in the computer easily.

#99 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

Compressed air is out of the question I'm afraid, the dust is just too thick that if I blow compressed air on it, the dust gonna go EVERYWHERE. Swiffer Duster sounds tempting really, the thing is that those kind of things are only available through TV order which I personally prefer not to waste my money on...

#100 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

Or just find something at your local store that picks up dirt. I'm pretty sure you have something close to a swiffer duster.!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users