Close
Photo

do you keep your identity as a fanfiction author a secret in real life?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#21 TashaJ

TashaJ

TJnyan-sama

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:xbox 360. Manga. NaruSaku. Drawing. Writing. Hula -hooping.

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

I've always kept mine a secret because I feel really wierd when people I know read the stuff I write. I think I nearly died when I let my best friend read one of my chapters, I don't really understand why. So that's why I keep mine a secret. lol smile.gif

#22 Gena kumo

Gena kumo

Floatin' along as a Silvery Cloud...

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Let's see....<br />-Reading<br />-Writing<br />-Sketching/Doodling<br />-Traveling<br />-And practically anything and EVERYTHING that has to do w/ <br />creativity and The Arts ^_^

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

I don't keep it a secret...

Just nobody asks. ^__^

[color="#FF8C00"]My fan-writing <3 fairycloud22

#23 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Eating... Sleeping... Thinking about monkeys...

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (TashaJ @ Dec 23 2008, 05:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always kept mine a secret because I feel really wierd when people I know read the stuff I write. I think I nearly died when I let my best friend read one of my chapters, I don't really understand why. So that's why I keep mine a secret. lol smile.gif

I agree entirely. In sixth grade I let my friends read my first fanfiction; they laughed until I almost quit writing haha. That being said, it was entirely justified -- it was terrible and I was like ten. Still, ever since that incident I keep my identity entirely concealed. tongue.gif

#24 ia3

ia3

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

Sorry to be necro-ing this old thread, but i hear where everyone's coming from.

A lotta my friends have hardly heard of ff.net, even if they read manga etc. And i don't know but it does feel slightly awkward when someone reads your story and asks if it's you irl. (yeah, it's happened..kinda weird), and yet at the same time i'd wish everyone knew. Weird paradox eh?

To disgrace oneself is something a samurai should never do.

#25 ebonydreads

ebonydreads

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

A couple of my friends know, but I try to keep people knowing to a minimum. I prefer to keep things like that to myself.

#26 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:55 AM

Heh, most of my friends are either A: Harry Potter fans (I got one that reads and writes fanfiction), B: Anime fans (got 1 or 2 friends even writing a few fictions of themselves, and 1's even attempting a manga on her own and having me look it over sometimes), or C: Just plain odd. I think the only people who don't know of my fanfiction writing are my family, but that's because they don't ask, though my parents do know I read fanfics. But, I really have nothing to show for it, I haven't updated for a looong time and I think my stories are sub-par compared to most....

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 24 August 2009 - 01:55 AM.

#27 Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Sometimes I get to poetic for my own good!

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Reading Fanfiction and video games(lately it's only being the former)

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

Like most people here I keep it a secret, mostly because I don't like discussing about it, the only ones who know about my writting are my parents especially my mother, she's the one that noticed my excitment during the last month, let's just say that I'm completely addicted to writting and do it almost everyday (Thought I'm cutting a little now.). Sincerily I prefer to keep my works to readers only I can't imagine my friends reactions if they knew I Write/Watch anime and manga (The write part is about fanfics.), I have always been made fun of by most of my classmates (Who are basically the only friends I have) because of my name or parents (It happens when your a good head taller than your mother and father), So I think I don't want to give them anymore mocking ammo. In the end I take great pleasure in writting and seeing people liking my work and since no one knows I can really express my self without being judged. Fanfiction truly is haven for me.

#28 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Tahaji @ Nov 3 2008, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont want to keep it a secret, just no one I know watches the shows I write fanfiction for XD so Im stuck keeping it a secret.

Yeah, same here. My family knows that I like Naruto and that I write stories about Naruto, but I've never given any of my works to them. Apart from being an utter crap, i'm worried that they'll just laugh at me, which they already do for the fact that I like Naruto, so I don't share anything I write with ... anyone, well, only the ones who read the stories I write on FF.

#29 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

Well, imagine writing an M rated fan fiction and having someone like your mother read it >.> Or even just having a very developed relationship where they kiss and touch. Most people would tone themselves down if they knew somebody they were close or had contact with would read their work. With the anonymity of the internet you can write whatever story and not face the public shame of writing one, because nobody knows your real identity except maybe the most trusted of buddies. They could read work of mine when I decide to publish a book, or do something original. Fanfiction is more fun and practise for me. I'd like to have something polished before showing other people around me my creativity.

#30 Born from a NaruSaku Lemon

Born from a NaruSaku Lemon

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Naruto; NaruSaku, ShikaIno, JirTsu <br /><br />Listening to Music; Alternative Rock, Linkin Park, Three days Grace<br /><br />Daily Life; Girls, fooling around, pulling pranks, being a Jackass, etc, etc..<br /><br />Watching T.V; Wrestling, Anime, Reality shows

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

I usually don't bother to tell people about my stories unless they somehow bring them up. I'm not embarrassed or anything it's just that my friends don't really read these types of things. I'd say only about 3% of my friends know I write.

#31 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Broken Figurine @ Sep 4 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, imagine writing an M rated fan fiction and having someone like your mother read it >.> Or even just having a very developed relationship where they kiss and touch. Most people would tone themselves down if they knew somebody they were close or had contact with would read their work. With the anonymity of the internet you can write whatever story and not face the public shame of writing one, because nobody knows your real identity except maybe the most trusted of buddies. They could read work of mine when I decide to publish a book, or do something original. Fanfiction is more fun and practise for me. I'd like to have something polished before showing other people around me my creativity.

My thoughts exactly. Around my house it's known as 'my little ninja problem.' But I am lucky enough to have someone I love who wants me to read each chapter before I post it, and who is amazingly, unconditionally supportive every time. And he's never the first read a page of Naruto.

But there is so much freedom in anonymity. I can write what I enjoy, hone my skills, and reach an audience who really cares about the characters I'm writing about. And frankly, I wouldn't get that kind of satisfaction sharing my stories with anyone around me who doesn't read Naruto. So why bother!

And delving into personal, sexy stuff with teen manga characters? Yeah, who would want to go there in front of your family or school/work acquaintances? They wouldn't get it.... But your fanfic friends would! pictureem0.gif

On the other hand, I would highly recommend finding someone, just one person, you can read to or reading what you write aloud to yourself. It's a pleasure to hear what you've written spoken aloud, it makes the effort more real. Sometimes, writing can be a lonely journey.

Personally, when I finish each chapter and post it, I have a mental image of leaning out my window and setting a little bird free in the world. I think about other people who I will never know, who may be watching the skyline, waiting for it to come into view. (When I love a story, I can't wait for it to be updated... so maybe someone waits for my stories the same way.) The people around me in my day-to-day life would never love what I write as much as ff.net readers, so why share it with them.

#32 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

I usually like keeping it a secret to myself that I write, if my parents ever found out that I write lemons and various other stories, they probably wouldn't like it and most of my friends don't know that I write stories either, only like a few of my great friends actually know I write.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#33 Faexylona

Faexylona

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:I like to read, write, and learn.

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

I have told a couple of my friends about my fanfiction, and I have showed them my page. However, I made sure they could not see my pen name. The reason is I don't want them to read it.

I mean they can read it if they know it is not me. Does it make sense? headscratch.gif
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get."
- Forest Gump

#34 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:27 AM

I don't really keep it a secret. Nobody knows that I write fanfic, but nobody has asked either.

JLHza2T.png

#35 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:48 AM

Actually now that I think about it, I'm having a hard time keeping my profile as a fan ficiton writer a secret since I've gotten a few NaruSaku fans on Youtube that now subscribe to me, not that I don't mind. biggrin.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#36 Hefster

Hefster

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

About a handful of friends know what I do when I get really bored. I don't think a single one ever read anything but I don't really care.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

You can find me here on FF.net.

Each topic brought to you with at least 1 spelling error.

#37 aeyu

aeyu

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga<br />J-world<br />Games<br />Music<br />Internet Connection

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

i'll let them know who's my identity if they want. it doesn't matter for me, cause i'd love sharing with everyone :]
*gelundungan*

#38 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

I do like keeping my identity as a writer a secret but I have already said my nickname which I'm sure a lot of people on the forum knows already (it's Jun wink.gif). I would feel uneasy if my family, friends and co workers finds out that I'm a fan fic junky and thus everyone else will know me as Gravenimage, Graven or Jun.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#39 Pink Cherries

Pink Cherries

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:50 PM

Pink Cherries is like a secret identity for me. No one knows that I'm a fanfiction author and I rather keep it that way. It would be pretty awkward if any of my friends or family members knew.

#40 Narusakurocks

Narusakurocks

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:I collect Pokemon cards<br />I have a bunch of rubix cubes<br />I love to eat udon and soba, but not at the same time

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:32 AM

Some of my friends know, they dont know my pen name because I dont want them to read it, it would feel weird. sleep.gif

Your love is like the wind. I can't see it, but I can feel it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users