Close
Photo

do you keep your identity as a fanfiction author a secret in real life?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

I'm just wondering how many of you fanfiction authors openly share your stories with your friends and family in real life, and why or why not.

As for me, I try to keep my fanfiction life and my real life separate. "DigiFruit" is sort of a secret identity of mine, kinda like Peter Parker's Spiderman or Clark Kent's Superman, haha. When I was at the library one time, some random girl sitting at the computer next to mine was reading "Icha Icha Fantasy" and it looked like she was about to cry. I wonder how she would have reacted if she knew that the author of that very story was sitting right next to her, haha... sweatdrop.gif

So yeah, none of my real life friends actually know that I write these tear-jerker oneshots, or at least I don't think they do. I'm not sure why I keep it this way. I guess, despite attaining some level of success as an author, I'm still kind of embarrassed about the stories I write, haha.

#2 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

It's not a secret with me happy.gif

#3 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

None of my friends know that I actually put my fics up on the internet. They like my stories though, so I send chapters to them through email and they give me these ideas and requests. Hell, if they knew about FF.net, I doubt I would be able to write so naturally and the put things the way I want to.

You see, it's sort of uncomfortable to know that someone you know will be reading something you wrote. It might be some personal joke you shared with a pal that you put in some character's dialogue, and I betcha the next day at school they'll be all over it. Nope, I like my double life the way it is.

I would empathise with that girl reading Icha Icha Fantasy, digifruit. Made me want to cry too! shamefulcry0js.gif

#4 YonderBeyonder

YonderBeyonder

THIS ICON HAS BEEN IN THE ARMSTRONG FAMILY FOR GENERATIONS!

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, roleplaying, videogames, books, movies, writing, drawing, making music videos, and quite a few other things, really.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

No one I know in real life knows of my online alias, so, I'm safe. xD But, if I moved somewhere, and the people I met knew of my alias, I'd probably tell them.

... After a week or so of needling and questionnaires on what they thought of that 'Yonder-person's' art/writing. tongue.gif

#5 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:57 AM

Not really.

uc.png

#6 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

I don't think any of my friends know that I write stuff to post online. I feel uncomfortable with people I know in real life knowing that I write stuff. Heh, I bet a lot of people here don't know that I write (or my penname for the matter) if they didn't already know beforehand.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#7 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

Well, almost anyone on here that knows me would know who I am on FF.net, but only a few actually know my real name on H&E. I don't have any information on who I actually am on my fanfic account, but then again, none of my friends that I see everyday really read fanfiction, so I have no worries. Still, I like keeping my alias, since it's so easy for me people to remember. laugh.gif

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#8 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

I dont want to keep it a secret, just no one I know watches the shows I write fanfiction for XD so Im stuck keeping it a secret.

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#9 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

I don't think it's a secret identity to me. A couple of times, I did post a link to my stories on my profile on Facebook (but I assumed none of my friends believed I wrote fanfiction) but I'd wrote poems a couple of times. Anyways, my "alias" name is just my nickname, just with the bonus numbers because there are people that has the same names.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#10 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I don't intentionally keep it a secret; it just almost never comes up. I have a few friends that enjoy anime and fanfiction as much as I do, so of course they know, and I know who they are (online). The rest of my friends wouldn't really care, so it's a non-issue.

#11 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

I do rough drafts of my fanfictions during free-time. I admit it's fanfiction straight-out. If they judge me as weird, I'd hate to be normal.

#12 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

Nope, I don't keep my Fanfiction identity a secret in real life~ happy.gif

Basically during school hours, I'm writing out rough drafts of the fics I'm planning on posting up. From time to time some of my friends and teachers ask what I could be so preoccupied with; when it comes to teachers, I just simply say 'a story' since most of them are nosy >.> but it's a whole different ballgame with my friends. I'll either bluntly (since I've probably lost my train of thought >.<) or simply say: fanfiction. Not many of my friends have fanfiction.net accounts, actually. All in all... I only know about three of them. (not including online friends, of course xD)

Although not many of my friends are into anime or any sort of fanfiction, so it's rare for me to even explain what I'm writing. So it's not much of a problem actually XDDD
tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#13 Destiny

Destiny

Queen of the hard hitters!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:30 AM

Mine's a secret to everyone besides my brother. He's never read them though.

Love is everything.

#14 Bolt

Bolt

H&E's residential vagabond! 8D

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:40 AM

Not really, no one asks so I never tell. However I have made a few lasting friends from fans of old fanfiction I wrote.

#15 Youklvr

Youklvr

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in reading, writing, playing video games, and hanging out with friends. I am also interested in movies. Erm... I don't know what else. I guess I also like attempting to swim...

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

Only my cousin knows my secret because she writes fan fiction too, and it's surprising actually because I use this username for every site I go on, even Myspace. It would look like somehow some one would find out who I am. I don't tell anyone because no one I know likes Naruto or any other anime or manga.
Necrophilia is so wrong! Unless... the body is still fresh!

My FF.net page

#16 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

Not particularly on purpose, the subject never comes up around my family or real life friends, but that's only because most of them are either not into anime, or first arc newbs who won't know what I'm talking about. I generally don't speak much about what I do as my own hobby/past time with my family anyway, it's not a secret, just it would be awkward and completely unnecessary to divulge.

#17 believeit6

believeit6

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Well, I love NaruSaku. That's why I'm here, of course. NaruSaku is da bomb! They look so great eachother and just complete eachother. I love the Naruto series too, as well as some other animes.

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

I don't even know anyone else that watches Naruto or any other anime, much less reads or writes fanfiction. Basically I'm not going to just be hanging out and say, "I write fanfiction," because then they'll be like, "WTF is that?" It never comes up since I don't write anywhere but home. My brothers know, that's about it.

NaruSaku Fan|Narutofan|True Believer|FF.net

#18 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

I work in a bookstore, and I have access to computers there. Since my lunch is an hour, sometimes I'll type up a few hundred to a thousand or so words for the next chapter of my story, edit the outline some... etc. Occasionally a coworker has asked me what I was doing, and I told them.

At first, they laugh a little. Not so much because I'm writing fanfiction, but because I'm writing it in the Naruto genre. But then when I go on to tell them it's got such and such many words (the first person asked me when it was a little over 40k) or so many reviews, or watches, things like that. Then they start asking more serious questions, eventually getting into asking if I ever contemplated writing an original story, which I have.

Fanfiction is excellent practice, though. After I explain, pretty much everyone just thinks what I'm doing is 'cool', which is fine with me. I've even had one person offer me advice about what they like to see when they read stories.

#19 Zero BD

Zero BD

nishishishi

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Mostly drawing, playing games and watching anime. Normal things, I think.

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

My friends read them sometimes and they like to use that Family Guy joke.

why yes. that is my adorable sister hugging a dakimura. got a problem?

#20 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

I do keep it a secret in a way... some of my friends know I write fanfictions but very few of them even know my nickname and those few people usually don't read/watch/play the anime/manga/game that I write about, so i'm safe.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users