Close
Photo

What do you look for in a NaruSaku fanfiction?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you look for in a NaruSaku fanfiction? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Options

1. Realistic Development (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

2. Great Characterisation (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

3. Depth and Detail (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

4. All of the Above (35 votes [81.40%])

Percentage of vote: 81.40%

5. Other (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

Vote

#1 ebonydreads

ebonydreads

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

Just as the title says, what do you look for in a NaruSaku fanfic? For instance, do you have any pet peeves when it comes to the characterisation of Naruto and Sakura?

I'll start off: I, for one, always look for great detail and depth in the development of their relationship, whether it'd be romantic or otherwise. I tend to avoid fics that protray Sakura as a slut or Naruto as an idiot. I also dislike it when an author focuses solely on the romance and doesn't take into account the other facets of their relationship.

#2 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:44 PM

You listed all the aspects I look for in any story.

#3 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Illjwamh @ Aug 25 2008, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You listed all the aspects I look for in any story.

LOL, so true. Nobody (or not many) likes to have something focused solely on romance drama, unless you're into that kind of stuff.... mellow.gif or having Naruto act like an idiot or Sakura act like a slut.

Edited by Onionhead Attacks, 26 August 2008 - 02:41 AM.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#4 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

You forgot teh smut! :what:

Anyway, obviously I would want all those there traits for all the stories I read, but if it comes down to NaruSaku fics in particular, I don't like it to be onesided or one person head over heals and the other neutral in this situation, I like their feelings to be realistically portrayed and mostly if not completely mutual. Narusaku ain't unrequited love people! rawr.gif. I also don't prefer AU stories unless it's very mild with this couple either, unless if it's a particular good story that happens to be AU. Certain couples go even better with AU fics but not this one! For me anyway<3. Other than that though, I tend to be pretty open concerning any fanfic as long as it has all the basic required needs that make up a good, well-proportioned story.

Edited by psycho666, 25 August 2008 - 10:54 PM.

#5 Xyanide

Xyanide

The Poison in your system

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Graphics Design, Naruto, Bleach, fun stuff :D

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (psycho666 @ Aug 25 2008, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You forgot teh smut! :what:

I was thinking that laugh.gif
Cause everything tastes better with a bit of lemon tongue.gif

#6 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

All of the above pretty much.

uc.png

#7 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:42 AM

Somebody forgot something.

Grammar and punctuation.

NO WAY I'm reading something if it's written with bad spelling.

#8 Destiny

Destiny

Queen of the hard hitters!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

I've been looking for creativity lately, I've been so bored with the same old same old. I've kinda been looking around for one shots as well. For me they're usually a better read than a lot of the multi chapter. People get lazy.

Love is everything.

#9 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:32 PM

All of the above, most stories without those just suck to me.

#10 Anewhope2

Anewhope2

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:55 AM

I believe in the "it takes two to tango" philosophy. I absolutely dislike one-sided relationships.

And i agree with everything that the people who responded before me. Sakura being a slut is... what?

OOC

But on the other hand Naruto being a idiot is cannon, but he isn't an idiot all the time.. if the author does make Naruto appear like an idiot all the time, that's... what?

OOC

Yeah, it's pretty easy to write a story, but if you finish it in a hour, take a guess what's missing?

PLOT

Stories need plots, i mean do we read the lord of the rings just to see a bunch of Hobbits running towards a land covered in lava with no logical reason?

I hope not..

And also what i'm looking for in a story is originality, but unfortunately FANFICTION is not original. But there are ways to make it somewhat original, and you know my fellow writers know what i'm talking about.

That's all i have to say.

#11 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

All of the above!

I think another important thing is atmosphere. I really like NaruSakus that have this intimate feel to them. It also helps if their interactions have energy to them!

I also prefer small stories - either one-shots or fics that are only 2-5 chapters long. It feels far more satisfying reading short stories that feel like they've been carefully sculpted over time, rather than epic-length fics that just go on for so long. Not only can long fics lose their energy as they go along, I'm also more likely to re-read short stories again and again.

#12 ebonydreads

ebonydreads

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:57 AM

^ Exactly! The atmosphere of a NaruSaku, or any fic really, is very important. I can't believe I didn't add it to my opening post! ^^;

I have to disagree with your preference for smaller stories, though. I prefer longer fics because I believe that they usually give more time for development. Realistic development, mind you. Then again, I hate fics that drag on and on and on. Oneshots are great for a good dose of NaruSaku when you haven't the time for reading longer fics. I admit I've read more than my fair share of NaruSaku oneshots and most of them I've enjoyed immensely. smile.gif

Edited by ebonydreads, 29 August 2008 - 08:03 AM.

#13 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

Regarding development, I think it depends on where (or more precisely when) you begin your story. happy.gif If it's at the beginning (i.e. Naruto Part One), then it will take a lot of time for Naruto and Sakura to realistically become close friends - perhaps lovers in the future. Part Two would require less writing, since they are already close friends (with a few walls still between them), but a near-future or future Naruto and Sakura could only require a relatively small amount of development.

A significant proportion of long fics are, unfortunately, rewrites of the original manga. I've lost count of the number of times I've skipped huge chunks of text that were basically repeating the same scenes in the manga with a minor difference here and there.

That said, I don't mind reading longer fics if the plot is good and it's not a re-write of the manga. smile.gif There are definitely great plot ideas that can compliment the original manga.

#14 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

Everything above plus:

Smut is something I avoid in NaruSaku stories. I'm probably in the minority in this to, it's my personal belief that detailed intimate moments should be just left out of serious stories. If it's a story I like, I skip it.

Sakura smacking around Naruto all the time. My god, I can't believe some of the stories I read where Sakura just punches the **** out of Naruto because he said something SLIGHTLY off. I stop reading those immediately, and unfortunately, they're the more common ones.
A NaruSaku Manifesto - A presentation on the NaruSaku pairing using the manga.

#15 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

I lol at the poll. "All of the above" option pwns all the other. What's more interesting, some DIDN'T choose that option. Makes me think seriously, how are you reading a fic? tongue.gif

But anyways, yeah, the others pretty much said it all, though I reckon a few hints at 'lemon' or 'smut' or whatever you want to call it would make it interesting as well. You don't have to write a whole long scene if you can't, but dropping in a bit each time and ending scenes on a sexual cliffhanger would be quite nice. cool.gif

BATTLE SCENES FTW!! RAWR!!!
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#16 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Unlike a few people here I actually look for stories with lemons sweatdrop.gif

#17 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

For me, NaruSaku-fics differs from other pairings I like (which would be Naruto with any girl not Hinata actually).

I don't care much for straight out romance fics in the NaruSaku-category if they're only focused on Naruto dating Sakura and doing nothing else but trying to end up with her in bed or whatever. The thing I look for is a story with a good and solid plot, with the NaruSaku-pairing as a sidedish. You'll read a great story, and while you're getting into the plot you'll see Naruto and Sakura getting closer before they end up falling for eachother. Naruto being all heroic and stuff, while Sakura gladly takes the position as the (strongest) damsel in distress (ever). She might not need his help, but he'll be there along the way. With this gradual progress, I can enjoy the fic as if I was reading an actual manga. The romance-fics without any plot (just smooch... omg, we love eachother now) are ok enough, but they won't last as long and I'll be sitting there thinking "Please just get it over with" before I pause reading and start reading another one, and then before I know what happened, I'd sit here with twenty tabs of ff.net (although I do have nine now already... xD).

Another thing that I require from a NaruSaku is for the author to show me that he/she actually knows how to spell. I might not be that good with english grammar myself, but I will stop reading at once if I find the grammar to be bad (or completely atrocious... it varies).

But a fic can have all this, yet there is one more thing that will make me stop reading until the problem is solved. If an author on ff.net wants to use Kishi's characters, then please...
GET.
THE.
NAMES.
RIGHT!!
If you spell the names wrong all the time (Tsunande, Garra, Sauske, Uzamaki, Jaraia, Negi... the list is endless), or continously use japanese words wrongly, for instance I just read a fic where everytime Naruto finished his meal, he'd say "Itadakimasu" instad of "gochisōsama" or "gochisōsama dekittena". Would you end your meal with saying "let's eat"? This is just one of the small things that I react to, but it ends up annoying the hell out of me. I don't like to be annoyed, hence the title "Ultimate story-killer" is well earned.
(There are better examples, but none came to mind right now.)

#18 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

1. Correct Names & Spellings
2. Decent Summary
3. At the very least: HAVE A TITLE
4. There is character development and plotline
5. If there is OC, no Garry/Mary Sue and decent development too
6. ACTION!!
7. NO SONGFIC!! PLZ!!
8. SMEX!!

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#19 NutMan

NutMan

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

Mainly I just want Naruto to be in character. Sometimes I can handle a little bit of OOC Sakura, but naruto? No way...Some authors just have him saying things and acting in a way that I just can't believe. It really ruins the story for me.

#20 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

What I most look for is just all the above as well as things like not having Sakura doing a 180 since she's already done one in the manga and anime, in spite of herself. smile.gif

Bryon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users