Close
Photo

Good NaruSaku fics are slowly dying. Agree?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#41 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:49 AM

I don't think it's NaruSaku fics that are dying, but rather the authors' inability to express what would make a very good story. I've seen loads of fics that have good plotlines, but the typos make it very hard for me to read past the first chapter.

I also don't think it's an age thing either. Well, okay, in the majority cases, it is. But you shouldn't just judge stories from the ages of their authors. I clicked on the profile of a reviewer for one of my stories before, and this person mentioned something similar to what you guys have brought up. Specifically, he said something about fourteen year olds playing around. It was ironic. sweatdrop.gif

But people grow up, so I'm sure those 'amateur' writers will produce much better stories if they continue to write when they've grown up. And then we'll just get another batch of amateurs. It's a ruthless cycle, folks... happy.gif

#42 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Sadly, Nate. The bad get worse as they post. Since people give no reasons why their story is 'good' and just say, 'oh, please continue.' Meanwhile, their bad grammar and spelling continue on like it's nothing.

And as for my comment on the pre-dub eras, I believe there was such a time. When I first got into Naruto, no dub existed yet and the stories I dug up were always excellent reads. Since the dub came out, even on the first day... well, the 12-year old grammar lacking kids felt like they could just write any random crap and throw it on there.

I'm not discouraging anyone from writing, but please. Get a beta reviewer or a grammar teacher to look at everything!

#43 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Nov 15 2008, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sadly, Nate. The bad get worse as they post. Since people give no reasons why their story is 'good' and just say, 'oh, please continue.' Meanwhile, their bad grammar and spelling continue on like it's nothing.

And as for my comment on the pre-dub eras, I believe there was such a time. When I first got into Naruto, no dub existed yet and the stories I dug up were always excellent reads. Since the dub came out, even on the first day... well, the 12-year old grammar lacking kids felt like they could just write any random crap and throw it on there.

I'm not discouraging anyone from writing, but please. Get a beta reviewer or a grammar teacher to look at everything!

Even if I agree....Let me put it this way. Would you want to screen 160,000 crappy Naruto fics or be told you can't post because your stories aren't up to par? The problem isn't just reviewers, it's author too. There are many authors who will ignore, bad mouth, or just flat out quit if they receive any negative reviews. That mentality is partially ff.net's fault or it's users, but it's also the result of a society that values self-esteem over actual achievement, so people expect praise regardless of the quality of the work and get upset when they don't. There are studies showing we're the most narcissistic generation ever.

I started reading NaruSaku fanfiction about a year before the dubs aired. To the extent you could even find them, they were either really good, or really bad. I found plenty of bad ones at that time. They weren't all good.

It's not just the 12-year olds . There are plenty of 16/17 year-old's whose writing is just as atrocious. I prefer the 12 year-olds, personally. My experience is they tend to be more open to improvement so long as you aren't to mean when offering criticisms. I found their problems to be one of ability (want to write well, but lack the knowledge and experience, I know I didn't have it at that age) and the older ones to be one of attitude.

#44 KittenLou

KittenLou

I'm a kitty NOM:3

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Just recently, I've become rather engrossed in the history and various concepts British Literature offers from the Romantic period, but that could just be because of my professor lol. Of course anime and manga are a given. =) And shows dealing with &quot;otherworldly&quot; things, like Supernatural and Ghost Hunters and, uh...

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Nov 15 2008, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do agree to some extent with what you say, but I find it somewhat immature of you to suggest FF.net try and do anything about the stories you find unbearably terrible simply because they're an inconvience to you. Just because a story may have terrible grammar and spelling - things which are completely understandable in some instances - doesn't mean they can't improve over time, or that they won't.

Although we'd all like it to be, writing isn't just about creating good or great stories, especially not to those who are just trying it out for the first time. It's more about trying something new and finding a way to expand on their creativity and see where their abilities lie; in other words, testing their abilities, I suppose. I know for a fact that, despite the fact I'd like to write something mind boggling and impressive, I write purely for my own enjoyment and seeing where I can take some specific scenarios and how far I can go with them before they blow up in a fit of epic failure.

It's also just the way fandom is. If you don't like it, that's fine, but complaining about it won't change anything, and ff.net would be doing a great injustice to the people part of the specified fandom if they tried to do anything with the works which weren't up to standards (and, as Nate's already stated, I find it doubtful the administrators would go through such time consuming work).
If it takes you forever to find a piece that seems worthy of reading, and if it bothers you that much, then just create a community of the stories that are worth the read and advertise a lot, or something. I don't know.

Edited by Kitten, 15 November 2008 - 07:45 PM.

also known as Crackers

#45 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

wow.png I just realized something (so what, I'm slow) after agreeing with mostly everybody in this thread....

It's not that good NaruSaku fics are slowly dying or any form of dying, they're just being born/made in less frequency! Wait.. does that make sense? huh.gif

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#46 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

^ No Sense.

The Japanese population is not dying. There's just less and less children being born. sad.gif (Which is true as the average children per household in Japan is way under 2).

#47 KittenLou

KittenLou

I'm a kitty NOM:3

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Just recently, I've become rather engrossed in the history and various concepts British Literature offers from the Romantic period, but that could just be because of my professor lol. Of course anime and manga are a given. =) And shows dealing with &quot;otherworldly&quot; things, like Supernatural and Ghost Hunters and, uh...

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

I think Onionhead was referring to the fics, not the actual fans. tongue.gif

I think it makes sense. Either that, or NaruSaku has sparked some major creativity in our younger generation, which is always good, methinks.

also known as Crackers

#48 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Kitten @ Nov 16 2008, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Onionhead was referring to the fics, not the actual fans. tongue.gif

I think it makes sense. Either that, or NaruSaku has sparked some major creativity in our younger generation, which is always good, methinks.

Yep! Kitten's gotten what I mean! Er... I wasn't referring to actual people, ronin... sweatdrop.gif

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#49 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

There's also much more crap out there for you to filter through.

#50 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:26 AM

I agree as well. I personally think the reason is that there is not much originality in the pairing anymore. Most of the stories I find on ff.net for narusaku now all have very similar themes.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#51 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:00 AM

Considering Naruto's age (the series) most of the truly original concepts have been done. All that's really left is for good authors to pull bits and pieces from past fics and do their best to twist them in some way to make them slightly original.

I think for those fics that are truly original, they exist in the same quantity. However, the NaruSaku fandom in particular has gotten a lot more attention as it seems to be morphing into the most realistic pairing in Naruto. Kishi may leave the ending ambiguous as far as Naruto's relationships, but my gut tells me that by the time the series is over, there will be little to no doubt that there will be some definite NaruSaku representation of sorts.

With the popularity of Naruto growing by leaps and bounds in the US, especially within the last year to two years, explains the recent influx of... crap... for most pairing fics. Mostly teens with hearts in their eyes.

I know. I was once a teen myself, not too long ago. laugh.gif (Really, its only been 6 years...)

#52 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

Heya,Paradox just wanted to say your story's the best!!(Whirlpool country)

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#53 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

Thanks. biggrin.gif

#54 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Nov 17 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the popularity of Naruto growing by leaps and bounds in the US, especially within the last year to two years, explains the recent influx of... crap... for most pairing fics. Mostly teens with hearts in their eyes.

bingo

#55 tcross

tcross

the one and only clone of another person

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

I think it's time to change the topic to what should we, as WRITERS, should do with an old concept. I've got one where naruto actually was raised by a family, and it follows the main manga fairly closely for the first part, but diverges because of the main changes during important events in the series(or lack their of). My major Idea was, what would the narutoverse be like without chakra, now can someone tell me if that idea has been seen elsewhere?

Edited by tcross, 22 November 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#56 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

I don't think it's NaruSaku fics that are dying, but rather the authors' inability to express what would make a very good story. I've seen loads of fics that have good plot lines, but the typos make it very hard for me to read past the first chapter. [s]i also think that the Susake x Sakura and Naruto x Hinata people are trying to ruin it for us by writing crappy Fan fics lo.l/s]I also see a tons of grammatical errors that are just a eye sore. It also the Sasuke x Sakura and Naruto x Hinata fiction that are bad as well lol.

#57 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

I've come to the conclusion it's not just good NaruSaku fics that are slowly dying, but good fics in general no matter the genre. I've seen it in Harry Potter, Buffy, Naruto and um...actually I don't think there were that many One Piece fics to begin with, good or otherwise.

iAnby7W.gif

#58 Sora no Kitsune

Sora no Kitsune

Keyblade Master

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Manga/Anime - Naruto, FMA, ect.<br />Video Games - Kingdom Hearts, Metroid, LoL, Tera<br />Music - 2 Step from Hell, Rise Against, 30stm<br />Books - Inheritance Cycle (Eragon Series), Game of Thrones<br />Sports - DAGORHIR!!!!<br />

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

I do agree and although there are a few good ones out there being made such as Digifruits Pieces of a Dream, there just aren't enough good fics to keep the public entertained. I went through the whole completed NaruSaku list at FF>net and i only found about 12 good ones out of about 200 fics.... but thats to my own opinion of a good fic.

However, i do agree that good fics are becoming harder and harder to find and im sadly disappointed if it drops any lowwer. sad.gif

Get Chance and Luck!!~

#59 Xabsol

Xabsol

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

As long as they have a good storyline, not 'written by dyslexic kids' and I can find one that does not contain either SasuIno or slight hints of NaruHina, im fine. a_thumbs.gif

#60 Shourai

Shourai

Young Esperantist

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Xabsol @ Jun 13 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as they have a good storyline, not 'written by dyslexic kids' and I can find one that does not contain either SasuIno or slight hints of NaruHina, im fine. a_thumbs.gif

You forgot the ones that have NaruHarem (which, if you think about it logically, is completely out of character for him), most fics listed as NaruSaku that I've come across have that. I hate it; I don't even search for NS fics anymore. >.<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users