7 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

Mole

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

So I never blogged before, but I figured since I was new it might be beneficial to help people get to know me better... You know... For those that want to biggrin.gif. Where I do like writing, I write whenever the mood strikes me, so as as a precaution that means what and how much I write is totally at the mercy of what I feel like writing, so don't expect them to be all uniform and pretty. That being said, being the first time I'm writing a blog I'm horrible at telling things about myself. Most of the time when people ask me to tell about myself, I feel as if they expect something specific from me so I don't particularly know where to start or if where I start or what I say would be interesting to anyone in the slightest. I probably think too much ermm.gif.

Mmhm... Yeah I'm looking back on my first paragraph... Seems like a good way to start things off. Now that we got all that awkwardness behind us, lets get down to some basics, shall we?

As you may have guessed (Or may not, I'm not judgin') you can call me Mole, although my real name is Garrett. I will admit, find my name to be unnecessarily long in both writing and saying. Many have taken to calling me Mole in real life as well, which don't particularly mind happy.gif. I'm 19 years young until June 3rd, and I still have no earthly idea what I want to do with my life. Currently, I'm leaning toward English but I don't particularly know what I want to do in said field. As I said, I do enjoy writing, but I don't know if I want to go into creative writing and write stories or if I want to go into journalism and just be given what to write. The thought of being a teacher has crossed my mind a few times, but that one is a little iffy for me, so where I haven't particularly written it off... I'm not exactly shooting for it. On the subject of school, I don't like talking about things I'm uncertain about, so school is a touchy subject for me. Not to say I'm uncertain about school, its just a little more personal then that. If you ever bring up the topic, don't feel bad if I don't want to talk about it (It's not you, its me tongue.gif).

In high school I was fairly active in the arts, being involved in a little of everything. I loved playing the trumpet in marching band, going to the competitions and watching the football games, but I wasn't too fond of concert band. I made the band directors aware of this fairly early on, so I never really "soared to great heights" when it came to band placements. I actually only tried out twice (sophomore and freshmen years) and was told I could probably move up a band the next year. Of course I would have none of it, so I didn't try out and became the poster child for last band biggrin.gif. Don't get the wrong idea though, where I might not have liked concert band, I still adore listening to music and enjoy listening to nearly everything. The only genres I really can't stand are Reggae and Tropical music. That being said, my preferred genres would probably be 80's pop (The one hit wonders, mostly), Alt. Rock (Incubus, Trapt, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, etc.), and, most recently, Classical (I can't stop listening to Chopin).

I was also involved in the theatre arts. I had always been interested in it, but when I took it in middle school I didn't exactly have the most favorable experience. Pair that with a already filled freshmen schedule, I didn't end up getting into theatre until my sophomore year. I wasn't too bad, and honestly probably could have done better then I did. Unfortunately, Just as I began to make progress and get somewhere, life got in the way and knocked me down a peg. I was inducted into the "International Thespian Society" but I never did anything particularly stellar. That leads me into my other "love affair" of sorts, drawing.

I got into drawing at a young age. I still have my first real drawing in my "art portfolio". Interestingly enough, it was of Tai and Agumon from Digimon, which I used the old Topps Digimon cards as a point of reference. I remember the feeling I had that first time I felt I made something great, something to be proud of. That moment was honestly probably one of the reasons I got into anime like I did. For years, it felt like all I did with my free time was watch anime and draw anime, working to better my technique. After some time though, it began to get a little stale. I was decent enough at drawing anime characters, but I wanted more. I ended up having a brief stint in art lessons in which I tried my hand at realism. I had the same feeling I did back at 7 years old as I worked on that picture, with the proper tools and guidance for the first time. Unfortunately, I never finished that picture as things came up and I could not return to my private lessons. Which brings us back to my sophomore year, where I enrolled in art hoping to get that feeling again. I showed my work to the art department head, and was given the go ahead to be moved up into the more advanced art to focus on drawing, but unfortunately it could not come to fruition due to scheduling conflicts. I did get to try my hand at pastels and such, but other then that the year was a flop. So much so, I didn't bother signing up the following year. Sometimes I still get the urge to draw, urges I sometimes act on, but drawing with a mechanical pencil can only accomplish so much, and in the end I always end up more frustrated then satisfied.

I'm going to go ahead and bring this baby in for a landing. I could honestly write more, but hey I have to save something for my next blog post I suppose wink.gif. I thank you for taking the time to read this (if anyone actually did laugh.gif) and I hope you enjoyed it. I would also like to take this time to apologize though for my excessive commas and emotes. It's a filthy habit and I pop those darn things out like they're candy. I also apologize if this comes off as more as a mental evaluation at times then a blog. As I said, I think too much, and I tried to be as candid as possible smile.gif. Lastly I would like to apologize for breaking my very loosely kept policy of never apologizing for who you are laugh.gif. I promise to never do it again, scout's honor.

I'm not a scout pictureem0.gif

Edited by Mole, 19 January 2012 - 09:31 AM.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#2 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

See? That wasn't too hard. Though you certainly wrote more then I did in my first post of my blog.

Lol.

To be honest, the paragraph about drawing is all new to me. I didn't really know that much about how you got into drawing. Seems even I can learn a few things.

P.S. Chopin!!!!!!!!!!!!!
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#3 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I like your name, Garrett. Why do they call you Mole?

#4 Mole

Mole

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (TheOmegaMan @ Jan 19 2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See? That wasn't too hard. Though you certainly wrote more then I did in my first post of my blog.

Lol.

To be honest, the paragraph about drawing is all new to me. I didn't really know that much about how you got into drawing. Seems even I can learn a few things.

P.S. Chopin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go big or go home, right? The drawing part is all new because you never asked tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kim @ Jan 19 2012, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like your name, Garrett. Why do they call you Mole?

I didn't used to like my name, but I have grown fond of it over the years. People typically call me Mole for a number of reasons. It was my gamertag of Xbox Live so they'd call me Mole in games in favor of my real name for identity purposes. I also have a friend named Derek, so it can be confusing at times when someone says Derek or Garrett (We have a number of jokes about it) so its not uncommon for one of us to be referred to by our nick names. I guess it just depends on what kind of mood people are in laugh.gif
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#5 Sarge

Sarge

Super Awesome Fun Time

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:37 AM

to long didnt read... what is this?
"I really like your... Post?"

#6 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

I usually don't mind being called by my real name, but I like my nickname more since it sounds cool. tongue.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#7 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Kind of picked up some of this stuff just from talking to you on chat, but it was nice to have it laid out like this. Interesting read biggrin.gif

If you want to try your hand at art again, try picking up a USB drawing tablet like the Wacom Bamboo or something. Much more fun than using just a mechanical pencil! I think the low end model is only a little more expensive than the price of an xbox360 game or something. Most people use tablets with Photoshop or Painter, but I like openCanvas v1.1 (it's free!) because it's so simple yet versatile.

And if you like Chopin, here's a small selection of some other great piano pieces from other composers
- Liszt - La Campanella
- Beethoven - Piano Sonata no17 "Tempest"
- Scarlatti - Sonata L.33 (K.87)
- Rachmaninoff - Vocalise op34 no14
- Mendelssohn - Piano Trio in D-minor
- Schumann - Kinderszenen op15 no7
- Mozart - Piano Sonata no10
- Debussy - Arabesque no1

#8 Mole

Mole

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

So I woke up this morning thinking about something and didn't particularly know why. Then I had the urge to write about it. So I did happy.gif, but then people wanted to read it and I didn't particularly know where to post it so they suggested I post it here. I will warn you though that it is kind of long, so I'm putting it in a spoiler lol. Thanks to anyone who reads it in advance, wink.gif hope you enjoy and/or take something away from this (Even if it is just that I'm a dork tongue.gif )

I caught myself admiring the hue of the bluish-gray clouds as I made my way onto the school bus. Being one of the first to get on, I made my way to my usual seat in the second to last row of the bus. With reckless abandon, I fell into my seat. I hugged the window to allow my friend to take his usual place. We turned to our classmates behind us and began discussing our expectations of the game ahead of us. That's when she caught my eye.

I'd had a crush on her for some time now, but never had the opportunity to really talk to her. She was two grades below me and we had no classes in common. Her dirty blonde hair had been put up to keep it from touching her uniform, as the directors had told all the girls to do, making it seem darker then usual. I watched as her ice blue eyes shimmer from behind her glasses as they looked to the open seat in front of us. As she sat down, her body rested itself against the window to her right. I looked to her left and stared at the empty seat next to her. Time seemed to slow to a halt as thoughts rushed through my head. Fortune seemed to have smiled upon me. I had never had an opportunity to talk to her before, and this could be the chance I'd been waiting for. I swallowed my fear and mustered all the courage I could.

I found myself standing in the aisle beside the empty seat.

"Hey, would you mind if I sat here?" I inquired with faux confidence.

"No, but... Weren't you sitting with your friend?" She asked, quizzically as she looked to the seat behind her where I had been previously.

"Yeah, but he makes for terrible company on bus rides. I was kind of hoping you'd indulge me and keep me company for this trip." I said with a chuckle as I took my seat.

She smiled, but returned her gaze to her lap.

"Hey, is there something wrong?"

My question was returned with a brief silence.

"Not to brag or anything, but I make a great listener."

"Thanks, but I'd rather not talk about it." She said, shaking her head.

I looked down for a moment in thought.

"Well, how about you just tell me a sad story then, you don't even have to go into any details."

She didn't bother saying anything, just shook her head. I looked to the front of the bus, searching for a way to respond.

"Well that's no good. You won't feel any better just keeping to yourself, you know..." I turned my attention back to her, "How about we just talk then? You know, to keep your mind off of things?"

She seemed taken back for a moment.

"Sure... What should we talk about?" She asked.

I crossed my arms and pondered a moment about things we had in common we could talk about.

"Why did you join band?" I asked.

"I don't know, my friends were doing it and it seemed like a fun thing to do together. Plus, I figured it'd look good. What about you?"

The thought of the question caused my gaze to turn upward.

"Well... I guess it's because of my cousin. I never had any siblings so since our parents were so close, I kind of looked up to her. She played the trumpet in Azle's band program and I remember watching their marching band and thinking that I wanted to do that."

"So you play trumpet because of your cousin?" She asked.

"No, I actually wanted to play the saxophone but the band directors wouldn't let me so I kind of just got stuck with the trumpet."

We both laughed. We'd continue to talk all the way to the stadium and on the way back after the game. As the lights of the school came into view in the night sky, a smile creeper onto my face.

"You know that was one of the funnest bus rides I've had." I said.

"Well, you're very welcome." She said, beaming proudly.

"Don't get the wrong idea, it was just because of how awesome I am." I smirked.

She pouted as I chuckled to myself.

"No, but in all seriousness, it'd be nice to get to talk to you again sometime. Maybe we could talk someplace that's not a bus sometime?" I said, earnestly.

"Maybe." She smiled.

The world seemed to fade away when she smiled.

"Hey Casey, is this seat taken?" A boy asked.

I snapped back to reality. I found myself still in my seat, staring at the empty seat in front of me.

"No, go ahead." She said, her dirty blonde hair bouncing as she politely tried to make more room for her new seatmate.

I couldn't manage it after all. I didn't have the strength to overcome my fear of rejection. As the boy sat down, I watched my window of opportunity close on me. I sighed and halfheartedly smiled. I told myself it was probably for the best.

"Hey, Casey, are you alright?" I heard the boy in front of me question. I looked to see what the small commotion was about and saw a tear running down her face.

"Yeah... I'm fine..." She said as she wiped it away and looked toward the window.

The boy looked at her for a moment, but ultimately ended up with his back toward her again as he continued conversing with his friends across the aisle. I looked into the reflection of the window and a second tear rolled down her cheek, like her pretty ice blue eyes were melting. This time she didn't bother wiping it away. As the bus continued to make its way to the stadium, I found myself just watching nature pass by the window. Maybe it was just the overcast that concealed the sun, but the world seemed a little bleaker then. I never learned why she cried that day, but I never forgot the face in that reflection or the feeling it gave me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users