Close
Photo

Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer & why?

1. Rock Band (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Guitar Hero (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

Vote

#1 Hopestar

Hopestar

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Interests:Food: Asian (specifically Japanese)
    Religion: Christian
    Sports: Golf, Tennis, Rowing/Crew
    Hobbies: Finance, Politics, Books, Fine dining, video games
    Music: Rock

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

This has been on my mind lately, but I want to know what are people's preference.

Just so some people can understand the difference...

ROCK BAND

Rock Band has up to three tracks of vertically scrolling colored music notes, one section each for lead guitar, drums, and bass. The colored notes on-screen correspond to buttons on the guitar and drum peripherals. Along the top of the screen is the vocals display, which scrolls horizontally, similar to Karaoke Revolution. The lyrics display beneath green bars, which represent the pitch of the individual vocal elements. During cooperative play as a band, all players earn points towards a common score, though score multipliers and "Overdrive" are tracked separately for each player. The bass guitar player's multiplier can reach as high as 6x (compared to a 4x multiplier for the other players) and achieve "Bass Groove". Each band member can choose the difficulty at which they play (spanning Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert). If a player does not play well enough and falls to the bottom of the Band Meter, they will fail out of the song and their instrument will be muted from the audio mix. However, any active player can activate their Overdrive to bring failed players back into the song,"saving" the band member. However, a band member can only be saved twice; after the third failure, they cannot be brought back for that song. Failed players continuously drag the band's Band Meter down until they are saved. If the player is not saved before the Band Meter reaches the bottom, the band fails the song.

GUITAR HERO

The guitar controller is recommended for play, although a standard console controller can be used instead.[55][56] The game supports toggling the handedness of the guitar, allowing both left-handed and right-handed players to utilize the guitar controller. While playing the game, an extended guitar neck is shown vertically on the screen (the frets horizontal), often called the "note highway", and as the song progresses, colored markers or "gems" indicating notes travel down the screen in time with the music; the note colors and positions match those of the five fret keys on the guitar controller. Once the note(s) reach the bottom, the player must play the indicated note(s) by holding down the correct fret button(s) and hitting the strumming bar in order to score points. Success or failure will cause the on-screen Rock Meter to change, showing how well the player is playing (denoted by red, yellow, and green sections). Should the Rock Meter drop below the red section, the song will automatically end, with the player booed off the stage by the audience. Successful note hits will add to the player's score, and by hitting a long series of consecutive successful note hits, the player can increase their score multiplier. There is a window of time for hitting each note, similar to other rhythm games such as Dance Dance Revolution, but unlike these games, scoring in Guitar Hero is not affected by accuracy; as long as the note is hit within that window, the player receives the same number of points. Guitar Hero World Tour introduces drums and vocal tracks in addition to lead and bass guitar. Drum tracks are played similar to guitar tracks; the player must strike the appropriate drum head or step down on the bass drum pedal on the controller when the note gems pass the indicated line. Certain note gems, when using a drum controller that is velocity-sensitive, are "armored", requiring the player to hit the indicated drum pad harder to score more points. Vocal tracks are played similar to games such as Karaoke Revolution where the player must match the pitch and the pacing of the lyrics to score points. Guitar Hero 5 will allow for players to create a band of up to four players using any combination of instruments.

So there you have folks do place your opinions!
[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]
Let light be our guide towards victory
Whenever there's despair there's a darkness, whenever there's hope there's a light and it's up to us to bring in that light.

#2 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

Guitar Hero, because I don't have a 'band' to play Rock Band with, so it's more fun for me to just wail out on Guitar Hero happy.gif

#3 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

Guitar Hero. Rock Band is cool when you've got a lot of people to play with, but when you don't - which is probably ninety percent of the time - it's not as fun considering the games generally tailored to be played with more than one person. Guitar Hero's generally sticks with the best instrument, the guitar, and makes a great solo experience because of it while still offering multiplayer.
bd5.jpg

#4 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

Guitar Hero.

Because Rock Band's producer is a kitten with everyone else outside the US.

#5 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Jun 7 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guitar Hero.

That is so true.

Guitar Hero is better, because Rock band requires you to have a lot of people.

#6 TwilightLink20xx

TwilightLink20xx

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

Heh.... Rock Band.

Guitar Hero stopped being fun for me at World Tour. Once they added the tap strumming, the game became way too easy. They also added non-existant notes, so I'm not big on that either. Metallica was awesome, they tried to tone it down a bit (a couple songs were still too easy, though). But as a whole, the note charts are more often than not better on Rock Band. Mind you, I'm talking post Guitar Hero III, because those are a totally different ballpark (remember, Harmonix, Rock Band's developer, made those, and Guitar Hero III couldn't truly compete with Rock Band. I did prefer it's track list to RB1, though.)

I tend to prefer the track listings on Rock Band over Guitar Hero, and the drum gameplay on Guitar Hero isn't great. The Guitar Hero guitars are better though, so I just use them on the RB games. So yeah.... Rock Band FTW! XD

#7 ForgottenBushido

ForgottenBushido

The Pirate King.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Animation, and Graphic design, Photoshop CS3/4, Drawing, Character design. Gaming, Movies, and Girls. &gt;:3 Verry much Girls.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

Rock Band. Better music, prettier graphics, custom characters, and better guitars. Plus 9.09.2009 We get The Beatles Rock Band. End of Story.

#8 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

Just your friendly, neighborhood zombie hunter.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Wolves, Anime/Manga, Rx7, NaruSaku, Timeoff work, Sleeping, Comics, Napping, Cats, Resting, Skeet, and Racing plus too much more....

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

Guitar Hero. When I played the Metallica version, that was enough to make my decision between the both of them.

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#9 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Jun 7 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? I haven't heard this before. What did he say/do?

When I played the Metallica version, that was enough to make my decision between the both of them.

I haven't played this one yet, but I want to at some point. I've basically cherry picked Guitar Hero's since Guitar Hero II. Aerosmith was the only one I was actively interested in after II; mostly because I'm a fan of the band.

Edited by dl316bh, 08 June 2009 - 01:09 AM.

bd5.jpg

#10 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jun 7 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is so true.

Guitar Hero is better, because Rock band requires you to have a lot of people.

Really? Cause I remember playing Rock Band all by myself. Sat there and sung by myself, played guitar and bass by myself and played the drums by myself.

Harmonix has done a way better job with this genre. Guitar Hero is shoddy comparatively to Rock Band in both music and game play. Now the first two Guitar Hero's worked well mainly because it was Harmonix who developed them.

Edited by Sir Whirly, 08 June 2009 - 01:29 AM.

#11 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Jun 8 2009, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? I haven't heard this before. What did he say/do?

RB1 wasn't released to Europe until now. And RB2 is slowly getting into market places in the UE.

Yeah. The guy pretty much told the Europeans that RB would come out November 2008 , but we only got it in Feb 2009.

That's why he's a kitten.

Saying stuff that he shouldn't say. I kinda have to blame the shipping companies and the organs inside the company that are dealing with that , but since the producer kinda made fake promises he's getting the hammer too.

Peter Molyneux effect x2.

#12 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:13 AM

Yeah. The guy pretty much told the Europeans that RB would come out November 2008 , but we only got it in Feb 2009.

That's why he's a kitten.

Normally I'd be of the mind that "s*** happens", but a three/four month delay? Yeesh.

Peter Molyneux effect x2.

Well, while it is rather kittenish, I don't know if it's that bad; this is Peter Molyneux were talking about. Pete has a habit of talking way too much and promising way too many things well beyond any company man I've ever seen, to the point where he's often promising things that end up being cut. Diarrhea of the mouth, as it were. I can barely picture anyone else being that bad, much less twice as worse.

Edited by dl316bh, 08 June 2009 - 02:14 AM.

bd5.jpg

#13 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE (Sir Whirly @ Jun 7 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? Cause I remember playing Rock Band all by myself. Sat there and sung by myself, played guitar and bass by myself and played the drums by myself.

Harmonix has done a way better job with this genre. Guitar Hero is shoddy comparatively to Rock Band in both music and game play. Now the first two Guitar Hero's worked well mainly because it was Harmonix who developed them.

When I played it wasn't fun for me when they had just one person playing it. I think that Guitar Hero is a cool game myself, but I dislike Rockband mainly do to the out rages cost of the stuff.

#14 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jun 7 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I played it wasn't fun for me when they had just one person playing it. I think that Guitar Hero is a cool game myself, but I dislike Rockband mainly do to the out rages cost of the stuff.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band were all around the same price when they came out, last time I checked. =_="

#15 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Jun 8 2009, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, while it is rather kittenish, I don't know if it's that bad; this is Peter Molyneux were talking about. Pete has a habit of talking way too much and promising way too many things well beyond any company man I've ever seen, to the point where he's often promising things that end up being cut. Diarrhea of the mouth, as it were. I can barely picture anyone else being that bad, much less twice as worse.

Hey, there's few gaming related people that give out hollow promises. And even lesser the ones I actually know. I had to stick with someone right? Molyneux kinda rang in my mind because of Fable..

...Psh...

Real-time tree growth my bum.

#16 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jun 7 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guitar Hero and Rock Band were all around the same price when they came out, last time I checked. =_="

I think he/she is referring to the price difference of Guitar Hero before it ripped off Rock Bands full band instruments gimmick. Actually, the price of the set with all the instruments is part of the reason I never really wanted to invest in Rock Band when it first came out. Then Guitar Hero decided it was going to go all "me too", unfortunately.

Hey, there's few gaming related people that give out hollow promises. And even lesser the ones I actually know. I had to stick with someone right?

True. I can't really think of anyone else offhand either...

Edited by dl316bh, 08 June 2009 - 02:33 AM.

bd5.jpg

#17 Hopestar

Hopestar

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Interests:Food: Asian (specifically Japanese)
    Religion: Christian
    Sports: Golf, Tennis, Rowing/Crew
    Hobbies: Finance, Politics, Books, Fine dining, video games
    Music: Rock

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:38 AM

Rock Band is a better competitor than Guitar hero. They have more songs and you can actually create a band! Guitar hero only included that recently so they can compete against Rock band. dry.gif
[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]
Let light be our guide towards victory
Whenever there's despair there's a darkness, whenever there's hope there's a light and it's up to us to bring in that light.

#18 SageNaru

SageNaru

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga and Vidya

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:40 AM

I like Guitar Hero's guitar and gameplay better than Rockbands but the tracks on rockband did it for me.
So I'll go with Rockband. But everytime I play Rockband I use a Guitar Hero guitar!!! happy.gif

#19 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:59 AM

I'll go with rockband, better song, better graphic and better gameplay imo. I especially like the drum tongue.gif

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users