Close
Photo

Ever read a fan fiction that disappointed you?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#21 Blazing CobaltX

Blazing CobaltX

Yuri Trainer on Fire

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Pokémon(OMFG, what am I doing here then?! ^^'), Phoenix Wright, Naruto(Ofc), and K-ON.

Other shizzle:
    Drawing(Which doesn't mean I'm good at it!), playing Pokémon(Ofc)(Which isn't possible anymore... TT_TT) and several other games, and some other things(Like watching anime, of course!).

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Btw, I hate stories with:

- Sakura portrayed as a whore who's still madly in love with Sasuke and thinks that Sasuke broke her heart(Geez... dry.gif)...
- Naruto STILL portrayed as the idiot who he was when he was 12
- Sakura hating Naruto dry.gif
- Hinata as Naruto's love interest... argh1.png
- OC/OOC stories...

And some more, I guess...

Edited by Blazing CobaltX, 21 January 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#22 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Chunin Exam Day by Perfect Lionheart

I LOVED the beginning of that fic. It was funny as hell. I'd still go back and read the first 30 or so chapters from time to time. After that though, it just feels like it starts getting dragged along... and totally disappointing.

#23 Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Sometimes I get to poetic for my own good!

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Reading Fanfiction and video games(lately it's only being the former)

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

So many fics I've stopped reading for being unable to handle the disappointment. Its either the pairings, the way it's written, a stupid plot device or even the characters/story moving in ways that make me back away. I'm a picky guy anyway.

Edited by Whirlpool-Maelstrom, 25 January 2011 - 12:27 PM.

#24 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

I do have a story Naruto Nightwalker by AlphaDelta1001 it has 51 chapters so far the dissapointment it was supposed to be a NS story and he turned it into a massive harem with 10 or something.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#25 Hopestar

Hopestar

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Interests:Food: Asian (specifically Japanese)
    Religion: Christian
    Sports: Golf, Tennis, Rowing/Crew
    Hobbies: Finance, Politics, Books, Fine dining, video games
    Music: Rock

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

- Too much Godly powerful Naruto
- Weak powerful & willed Sakura
- Sakura still in love Sasuke and couple with him, then later Naruto, yet it's not ideal to the storyline
- Naruto unideal hook up with Hinata
[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]
Let light be our guide towards victory
Whenever there's despair there's a darkness, whenever there's hope there's a light and it's up to us to bring in that light.

#26 cnving101

cnving101

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Whirlpool-Maelstrom @ Jan 25 2011, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So many fics I've stopped reading for being unable to handle the disappointment. Its either the pairings, the way it's written, a stupid plot device or even the characters/story moving in ways that make me back away. I'm a picky guy anyway.

So true. In fact I feel exactly the same way. tongue.gif

#27 Blazing CobaltX

Blazing CobaltX

Yuri Trainer on Fire

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Pokémon(OMFG, what am I doing here then?! ^^'), Phoenix Wright, Naruto(Ofc), and K-ON.

Other shizzle:
    Drawing(Which doesn't mean I'm good at it!), playing Pokémon(Ofc)(Which isn't possible anymore... TT_TT) and several other games, and some other things(Like watching anime, of course!).

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Oh, I've also read some fics lately that REALLY dissapointed me. One of them was a fic about Naruto comitting suicide without having a good reason to do so, the fic ends with the scentence "kitten you, Sakura".

Damn, why do you put things like that as a Narusaku fic? headscratch.gif

And I've also read some fics with Sakura bashing/weak Sakura etc...
Damn, I HATE Sakura bashing. mad.gif

Edited by Blazing CobaltX, 02 February 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#28 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:35 AM

Absolutely.

The thing that disappointments me the most is well written that use cheap plot devices and cop-outs, especially in regards to the fics central conflict.

#29 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

A recent story that has really disappointed me was one which was supposed to be a Narusaku, then right in the middle of the story, after I had been following it faithfully, the author decides to turn it into a Naruto harem. dry.gif The minute I read Naruto on a bed with Sakura on one side and Hinata on the other, I stopped reading it, deleted it from my list.
I CANNOT, ever, agree to threesome or harem. I would much prefer to read a yaoi or Yuri (I don't like Yaoi or yuri, no offence meant to anyone) than read threesome or harem.

#30 Fliss

Fliss

stfu

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:13 AM

I just read one where the ending was "And Sakura woke up and realized it was just a dream".

Ughhhh

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

#31 Torxe

Torxe

World's greatest critic <boragnarok>

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Games, PC, fora, terraria, Bo-karate, meditation

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

I get the creeps out of Naruto fanfics in which Naruto has full control over his deamon cloack and is most of the time using it even in the easiest battles.

This gets old real fast...

In support of the Sakura we once knew:

Sakura-killing-hinata-naruto-shippuuden-

#32 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Dozens and dozens of them in all fandoms I have ever been part of.

Bad fics... usually you can tell from the start they are going to be bad, so you are not disappointed (and you stop reading). Dumb-sounding summary, bad grammar, bad characterization, atrocious dialogue, sparse descriptions or simply an awful plot are alarm bells you can spot so soon like in the first chapter.

But sometimes the premise is good, original or even godly... and the writer is unable to deliver. Or the fic begins fine, shows promise... and then the writer gets totally sidetracked. It is especially frustrating if you like the premise but no one else is trying developing that interesting idea. Only that person, and he/she can't write.

It is disappointing. And perhaps disappointing fics are worse than bad fics, because you find bad fics everywhere, learn to expect them and hope nothing from them. But then you find a fic looks being a gem hidden between the garbage, start reading it... and then you realize it is only shining trash, and you have wasted your time and your hopes with them (since you spot bad fics right away or early on, you don't waste your time or your illusions reading them).

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#33 narusaku-hime

narusaku-hime

strawberry-hime

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Reading manga/fanfiction/twilight saga, watching anime, drawing anime, playing keyboard, singing,Taylor Lautner, poetry, chilin' with friends and putting up posts on H&amp;E, and 5 Lifetimes 1 Love (ichihime fanclub), and writing fanfics.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Blazing CobaltX @ Feb 3 2011, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I've also read some fics lately that REALLY dissapointed me. One of them was a fic about Naruto comitting suicide without having a good reason to do so, the fic ends with the scentence "kitten you, Sakura".

Damn, why do you put things like that as a Narusaku fic? headscratch.gif

And I've also read some fics with Sakura bashing/weak Sakura etc...
Damn, I HATE Sakura bashing. mad.gif

I feel the same way i'm into romance, not GIRL BASHING!!!
Theres a fanfic that i really like but in the first dang chapter, naruto gets beat up by over 60 VILLAGERS!!!!
It makes the whole matter worse when there all villagers and he didn't want to hurt them. It just pisses me off!! mad.gif

Edited by narusaku-hime, 20 August 2011 - 06:55 AM.

The Fox and the Cherry Blossom,
The most unusual pair,
Yet they are perfect,
NaruSaku

The Princess and The Guardian,
He protects her,
She loves him,
IchiHime

NaruSaku and IchiHime Rox!! Luv u Kubo, luv u Kishi
http://www.fanfictio...strawberryhime3
From little miss sweet 'n' sour,
-Strawberry-Hime (narusaku-hime)

#34 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Mar 11 2011, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bad fics... usually you can tell from the start they are going to be bad, so you are not disappointed (and you stop reading). Dumb-sounding summary, bad grammar, bad characterization, atrocious dialogue, sparse descriptions or simply an awful plot are alarm bells you can spot so soon like in the first chapter.

Exactly, when I see from the start a fic is bad or has really bad reviews or the plot doesn't quite appeal to me I don't read it. No hard feelings, I just skip it and try to find a fic I like.
I've read a few stories where the beggining was excellent, the writing was very good, all in all I liked everything about it. And then it basically took one sentence to make me hate it. e.g. Naruto starts sleeping around, you realize Sakura was still in love with Sasuke, some obnoxious oc appears and get so much development when I really don't want to know about him, someone dying without warning... I've used exaples from the Naruto fandom because they're the most fresh in my mind but they're not even the worst I've read.

#35 narusaku-hime

narusaku-hime

strawberry-hime

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Reading manga/fanfiction/twilight saga, watching anime, drawing anime, playing keyboard, singing,Taylor Lautner, poetry, chilin' with friends and putting up posts on H&amp;E, and 5 Lifetimes 1 Love (ichihime fanclub), and writing fanfics.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:06 AM

I definitely agree with that, u can tell the story is going to be bad, but some times u ask yourself if your being to picky sleep.gif
The Fox and the Cherry Blossom,
The most unusual pair,
Yet they are perfect,
NaruSaku

The Princess and The Guardian,
He protects her,
She loves him,
IchiHime

NaruSaku and IchiHime Rox!! Luv u Kubo, luv u Kishi
http://www.fanfictio...strawberryhime3
From little miss sweet 'n' sour,
-Strawberry-Hime (narusaku-hime)

#36 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

Loving hockey games and Hard Rock Music

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Interests:Reading forums, and listening to hard rock/alt rock music.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

Oyyyy, from what I read from these posts plus having my fair shares of reading bad narusaku fanfics. Here's what I don't like.

-Having Naruto being Angsty
-Having Sakura being all fangirl-like and a bit*h (For, the record, I kinda love stories when she admits that she's weak to Naruto and Naruto's there to pick herself up.)
-Having naruhina or sasusaku, in the middle of the story, if its beginning and they are breaking up, then its kinda ok. I just don't want to see any hint of romance of those two pairings in the story.
-OC characters or bringing up pop culture references, unless done very efficiently.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#37 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

I dont like a few things....

~the characters completely out of character.
~Sakura still in love with Sasuke
~To much drama or not alot of drama
~also if the fanfiction starts of with NH or SS

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#38 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Any story written by VFsnake or the fifthriderofarmaggedon those authors are big time Sakura haters and they will always bash her, making her so OC its scary.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#39 pharix

pharix

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

there's this one where the story wasn't bad but it started out as NaruSaku then somewhere in the middle the author just decided they didn't like NaruSaku anymore and rewrote it to Naruto/Tenten ... just kind of lame to me

#40 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

I usually don't like to pick on authors myself, but there's one author in particular, lord of the land of fire, I've read a few of his NaruSaku fics and I can't stand how they're done. They usually start out okay, but he ends up having either Naruto kill Sakura over the stupidest thing or having Naruto die while on a mission to get Sasuke. I guess he just enjoys trolling fans like that. I don't recommend you look at his fics. >_>

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users