• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:36 AM

Hello! I'm starting this thread so we can help each-other out regarding writing a story.

As the title mentions it, I'd like to address the basics first things first.

What does motivate you to write? What gives or takes your muse away? 

Your thougths will be appreciated so feel free to list them below!

#2 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:23 PM

Motivation is everything in writing a story. Without it you won't be as interested in completing your story and having it published or put on Fanfiction.com which is probably a bigger thing here than actually publishing your work into a book.

Motivation can come from anything. From reading another book, watching a movie, or just taking a walk down the road while listening to some music. Personally, I feel more motivated to write something after I've read or watched a story that was put so well together it was almost flawless.

I'd also recommend reading my "Tips for new writers" thread as well.

#3 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Motivation is everything in writing a story. Without it you won't be as interested in completing your story and having it published or put on Fanfiction.com which is probably a bigger thing here than actually publishing your work into a book.

Motivation can come from anything. From reading another book, watching a movie, or just taking a walk down the road while listening to some music. Personally, I feel more motivated to write something after I've read or watched a story that was put so well together it was almost flawless.

Motivation is key. Yes, yes it is. 

Don't be that type of person who puts it off for tomorrow. If you want to write but you have no inspiration... just listen to some music, watch the nature outside, even take a walk! Everything Dalton has said above is true, motivation can also come from the drive to be better!

Another key thing would be to possess your grammar as best as you can do because no one enjoys reading a half-assed story which badly-written and with atrocious grammar on-top of that. I, as a foreigner have spent the last few years continously reading and subconsciously absorbing information from books and fanfiction like a sponge. Don't be afraid to do that, you won't copy anyone unless you're doing it on purpose. Your writing style is yours and yours alone no matter what people will say.

Edited by Tony Blu, 25 June 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#4 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

I like writing poetry. I feel like it expresses my thoughts in a unique way... What motivates me is food. i.e. lemons

Edited by Iwantbuns, 25 June 2015 - 10:14 PM.

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#5 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:21 PM

I like writing poetry. I feel like it expresses my thoughts in a unique way... What motivates me is food. i.e. lemons

Poetry is also good, very good! I love reading poetry because it's so flowing and continous, like an endless spiral that sucks you in whether you like it or not. It also gives you another perspective on the addressed subject which in return leaves room for retrospection and what not.

It's nice to see people contributing. If you have any questions, feel free to address them!

#6 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:37 PM

Poetry is also good, very good! I love reading poetry because it's so flowing and continous, like an endless spiral that sucks you in whether you like it or not. It also gives you another perspective on the addressed subject which in return leaves room for retrospection and what not.

It's nice to see people contributing. If you have any questions, feel free to address them!

What I love most about poetry is that you can interpret it in so many crazy ways... Also a main reason why I love writing it. To confuse people, and put them in a hole to think about the whole thing xD

I love how interested you are in writing/literature! Are you striving to be a writer? ^_^

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

#7 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:45 PM

What I love most about poetry is that you can interpret it in so many crazy ways... Also a main reason why I love writing it. To confuse people, and put them in a hole to think about the whole thing xD

I love how interested you are in writing/literature! Are you striving to be a writer? ^_^

I wholeheartedly agree with you. You're twisting their perception with each verse and they ultimately drown with its end. Confusing people is an art, a godsend ability if you may haha.

Well, I suppose I do want to become one. Not too sure about it right now since I like art as well...

#8 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:53 PM

^ This is the best advice, ever! Without motivation to write you have nothing. You need to have an unquenchable drive to create your world, and nothing should stop you. I know that a lot of authors stopped writing their NaruSaku fics, and honestly I don't blame them, I was almost one of them myself. However my motivation to finish what I started was greater then my disappointment and so I'm still writing it. However once it's done I will no longer write anything else for that fandom because I'm done with it. There is no spark there for me anymore, and I refuse to write something I'm not passionate about. So if you're going to write make sure you know what it is that you want, and make sure that your motivation and inspiration is strong. Slacking off will show in your writing, and people will be able to tell. Then of course checking grammar and sentence structure is a no brainier :3 

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#9 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:11 AM

^ This is the best advice, ever! Without motivation to write you have nothing. You need to have an unquenchable drive to create your world, and nothing should stop you. I know that a lot of authors stopped writing their NaruSaku fics, and honestly I don't blame them, I was almost one of them myself. However my motivation to finish what I started was greater then my disappointment and so I'm still writing it. However once it's done I will no longer write anything else for that fandom because I'm done with it. There is no spark there for me anymore, and I refuse to write something I'm not passionate about. So if you're going to write make sure you know what it is that you want, and make sure that your motivation and inspiration is strong. Slacking off will show in your writing, and people will be able to tell. Then of course checking grammar and sentence structure is a no brainier :3 

Another great perspective brought out by Konohakitten. We all give up at some point in our lifetimes whether we like it or not and it's all a matter of courage and time. Just keep calm if creativity doesn't swing by this time. You are okay, don't stress yourself. If not today, then tomorrow!

#10 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:06 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with you. You're twisting their perception with each verse and they ultimately drown with its end. Confusing people is an art, a godsend ability if you may haha.

Well, I suppose I do want to become one. Not too sure about it right now since I like art as well...

Welll, art and writing can intertwine in many ways. They tell a story. And in the end it's creativity that stands out the most. Aim for both! ^^

#11 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Another thing I'd recommend is drawing (even though I can't draw to save my life). I've found that trying to draw out maps of places your book will take place is a great adrenalin boost as well. I do it all the time with two of my book series, 

#12 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

For people who would like to draw, or use drawing as a meditative exercise you could try this:  https://www.zentangle.com/

#13 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:58 AM

I was going to add on what I do if I need inspiration but then my kids got me busy and I forgot to add it on to my post. So yeah, my bad XD Anyhow what helps me is watching whatever material I'm writing about. For example I'm working on a One Piece fanfic right now, so I'm watching all the old movies up to the most current one again :D I'm also watching anything I can pirate wise, like they had a documentary on TV the other day and I was all over that taking notes. I also always listen to music that gets me pumped. If that still doesn't help I'll draw, and I'll also read because reading is probably the best thing you can do. If all of these thing don't work then I take a break and play a game, hope this helps.

#14 Luna

Luna

aespa

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

I find music helps a lot. If im writing a angsty scene I need sad music. For example my new fanfic is set in the Victorian era so music from that era helps. Im just saying sometimes music helps me set the tone for my stories.

#15 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:37 AM

Music does help. I remember when I wrote my Naruto fanfic back in 2010, I listened to POP music when I got stuck. I had always listened to heavy metal up to that point and nothing different. But since I was writing a romance at the time, "Down with the Sickness" by Disturbed wasn't really the best song to listen to. "Unwritten" by Natasha Beddingfield was my go to song for that time period when I got stuck. Admittedly, I still listen to that song like there's no tomorrow.

I've found the best way to get into your writing is to listen to music that fits the situation.

Action/battles/war - Rock and heavy metal

Romance - Country and Pop

Plot Development - Instrumental music,

Horror - Halloween disks

This has worked for me at least. We don't all have the same taste in music.

#16 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:22 AM

I am glad that the thread's getting such a well-received attention! You guys brought up important points and suggestions that are imperative for a story to be up and running.

I have a question, though. As a foreigner, you can guess that my vocabulary isn't as broad as a native speaker's is. So, any ideas on how to improve besides reading?

#17 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:01 AM

I am glad that the thread's getting such a well-received attention! You guys brought up important points and suggestions that are imperative for a story to be up and running.

I have a question, though. As a foreigner, you can guess that my vocabulary isn't as broad as a native speaker's is. So, any ideas on how to improve besides reading?

Get yourself a good old fashion dictionary and thesaurus. I have both, and I use them quiet a bit. I'm not a fan of using the same words to describe something over and over again, so those two things are a must. They should be able to help you out.

#18 Lindenbay

Lindenbay

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:35 PM

Writing is a fairly intimate exercise and lets you explore ways in how you can express yourself. It can also be an educational experience in that it will reinforce proper usage of grammar and spelling, you can acquire a sophisticated diction, and learn how to describe things in a coherent yet creative way. 

But above all, especially when you are writing fan fiction, just have fun with it! Don't take it too seriously. Remember, this is not an integral part of your life and at the end of the day, it's only a story. 

#19 Hank DaCoach

Hank DaCoach

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Is this the same Lindenbay who wrote "Convergence"?

#20 Wubbzy

Wubbzy

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, writing, and dancing

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

There are many things that motivate me to write. 

I write, mainly, because I feel writing is an amazing way to do multiple things at once. I want to tell a story. I want give light to very important issues in the world or issues I feel strongly about, or even want to learn more about. I want to imagine, and create different worlds that I would love to share with other's. It's very personal for me, because a lot of times, writing a story is sharing thoughts that have been in my mind for such a long time, or lessons that I have learned throughout my life. 

Writing gives me the opportunity to imagine, discover new worlds I never even thought were possible until I think, "what if," and write it down. It's the best way for me to see something in my head, and then make it as tangible as I can. It definitely helps with my creativity. 

One of my muses is simply reading anything I can find. Whether it's reading about different cultures to different fantasy worlds or if it's in a fiction novel or a newspaper or an essay, it helps me get a broader perspective on what I can write about. And I feel that's a very important thing to have when writing, because it opens your mind to different possibilities. The only thing I can really recommend, which helps me, is to read more to write more. 

Okay, I'll stop before I ramble on haha. 

NaruSaku <3

~

Fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/~wubbzy

~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users