Close
Photo

Wii Storage Solution! New Zelda DS game! (Nintendo GDC09 keynote)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

Kotaku's Liveblog of Nintendo's GDC09 keynote.

Images from Nintendo's keynote.

A new Wii System Update is available NOW that will make the Wii compatible with SDHC cards, and allow you to save and load up to 240 games/channels directly from the card. biggrin.gif Finally, I can save my VC games to a card!

Also announced was a new Zelda game for the DS - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. happy.gif

First video:

I wonder if one of Miyamoto's hobbies is train driving/spotting? tongue.gif

#2 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Lol, I was just about to come here and post about this myself. Oh well, it's fun news.

I'm always happy to see a new Zelda in the works, but I was hoping they would show us more (as in 'anything at all') from the Wii game, as we only know that it's in production and will "re-invent" the franchize. I love the cell shaded Zelda games, and Phantom Hourglass was a brilliant DS-game, so I'll most definetely get this.

When it comes to the SD-card thingie and the Wii-console, I'm not surprised. They've been talking about doing stuff with SD-cards for ages anyway, so here they go. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than having to manually shove the games onto the sd-cards. Bah, whatever. I'm curious as to how the firmware update (4.0) will affect the Homebrew Channel though. Recent updates hasn't done much, but who knows.

#3 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

Well, the SDHC card solution does allow up to 32GB - plenty of space - and you can have more than one card. In the short term at least, it would be a lot cheaper and more flexible than a Wii hard drive. smile.gif

I also feel the same about Zelda DS! Phantom Hourglass was fantastic and well worth the import. I'll most likely import it again, unless the EU launch is close to the US. Hopefully, they won't try to cram "DSi only" features into the game.

Talking about the DSi, there are rumours of a Virtual Console for it containing Game Boy games at least. Much as I hate to admit it, if they include a SNES Virtual Console on the DSi and the ability to transfer copies between the Wii and DS (or link it to the Wii account so you don't have to buy the same VC game twice)... I would be sold.

#4 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

New Zelda for my Wii. Do it. rawr.gif

#5 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Mar 25 2009, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New Zelda for my Wii. Do it. rawr.gif

Isn't it for the DS? Well, whatever.
I don't play my Wii anymore, but this sounds like good stuff, and it'd be great if they let you transfer VC games to a DSi.

#6 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:42 AM

Huh. And it only took them two years to do it. Better late than never I suppose.

Sad that such is the biggest Wii related announcement so far.

Much as I hate to admit it, if they include a SNES Virtual Console on the DSi and the ability to transfer copies between the Wii and DS (or link it to the Wii account so you don't have to buy the same VC game twice)... I would be sold.

Never happen, I'm afraid. Both systems are to have seperate services for one. Each one will use it's own set of points that aren't interchangable for two. Also, the DS is a target for rampant piracy, which Nintendo has a known track record for being tools about. They can't keep homebrew and piracy off the Wii as it is, despite best efforts. They're not going to risk opening up Wii shop things like it's Virtual Console to the holes the DS carries in it's security. Not with hackers already cracking the measures they put into the DSi.

Edited by dl316bh, 26 March 2009 - 02:43 AM.

bd5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users