• This topic is locked This topic is locked
328 replies to this topic

#301 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

For me personally I think every single Nuclear plant in the US should be taken over by the government. In specific one agency in particular.

The US navy. They are experts in nuclear reactor technology and to this day I have yet to find a single instance of a nuclear leak on an american ship since the inception of nuclear powered naval vessels.

Corporation should never be in charge of things like nuclear plants or any such institution where safety is a primary concern. The corporation will almost inevitably err on the side of profitablity and the bottom line, and the instant they do safety will suffer for it.

Case in point is the reactors that have broken down in Japan. The back up systems that should have been in place werent. The company did not prepare for that one in a million chance that something of this magnitude could happen, and the japanese people are now paying the price for that lack of vision.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#302 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

This pretty cut and dry report of just the US related nuclear incidents makes the point pretty well against nuclear power- period.
http://www.lutins.org/nukes.html

(I've personally been opposed to nuclear power since the 3 Mile Island disaster in 1979- and another point debunking a nuclear industry myth- nuclear plants actually cost much more than even coal or natural gas burning plants do to build, plus the material is highly dangerous- moreso than even gas or coal, and "disposal" is very expensive and very unreliable- contamination lasts for many years for most of the materials . I'm not keen on coal or gas- petroleum or natural- natural is less dirty than petroleum, but it's more explosive and deadly in the short hand than petroleum- petroleum as we know quite well has more lasting damage on the environment- land, water and air. I'm neutralish on natural gas- it's the least bad of the above lot, so I'm inclined to not oppose it outright. Coal's harvesting is responsible for much environmental land devastation in my native region of the US, plus it's a major air polluter. I'm ambivalent on hydroelectric and geothermal- they are definitely clean but the plants themselves cause small scale environmental damage. Hydroelectric moreso than Geothermal. If environmental damage can be limited as much as possible I'm cautiously for them. The only truly safe powers are wind and solar, both which have been making leaps and bounds in becoming more viable as safe and cheap sources of electricity. Plus it's a source of electricity that won't tie you to a power company so it's even cheaper for individuals who can afford to build them.)

Greenpeace's worldwide list of nuclear incidents through 1-31-1996:
http://archive.green...rnob/rep02.html

This site is good too, detailed info on 3 Mile Island, Chernoybl, and Fukushima
http://allthingsnuclear.org/

Edited by ciardha, 18 April 2011 - 01:05 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#303 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

http://www.bloomberg...as-october.html

Tepco plans to end crisis at Fukushima, by October.

Edited by Insurrection, 18 April 2011 - 05:10 AM.

#304 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

^If they can.....

Hopefully they don't screw it up (although it's Japan we're talking about here, so I doubt that) Hopefully mother nature doesn't screw them big time.

Edited by Codus N, 18 April 2011 - 02:00 PM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#305 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:48 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn...ws-asiapacific/

BAILOUT!?! wot.gif rawr.gif How long until Japan is synonymous with being Screwed!?!

#306 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

WHAT THE!!!! th_confused0089.gif wot.gif Ok, now that's a kittenin' ripoff!!! even though it was expected..... but still!!! I am in utter disbelief!!

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#307 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

http://www.reuters.c...E72A0SS20110421

Pm makes Evac Zone a No-Go zone. No unauthorized travel. People apparently yelled at Kan, so it looks like the Country's people are cracking. unsure.gif

http://www.reuters.c...E7FL38420110421

6.3 Aftershock on the coast of Chiba, Tokyo Shaken.

Edited by Insurrection, 21 April 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#308 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

Damn, Japan is totally and royally screwed. The only one who can really unite the Japanese would be the royals or Koizumi. Hell, for all I know, I think Koizumi should be PM again through an emergency referendum. If I were them, I'd ask for it. Or giving the emperor a large authority in the governmental matters as of now would also be good even if it's temporary. The Japanese are in dire straits and in need of a a leader who can unite them.

248793.jpg

#309 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Apr 21 2011, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn, Japan is totally and royally screwed. The only one who can really unite the Japanese would be the royals or Koizumi. Hell, for all I know, I think Koizumi should be PM again through an emergency referendum. If I were them, I'd ask for it. Or giving the emperor a large authority in the governmental matters as of now would also be good even if it's temporary. The Japanese are in dire straits and in need of a a leader who can unite them.

Koizumi made himself quite unpopular with the Japanese public with the various scandals he and the grossly misnamed LDP (they are actually quite right wing) kept getting themselves in- his sucessors Abe, Fukuda and were big sleazebags, and the LDP is responsible for creating the situation for companies like Tepco to ignore safety standards with little to no punishment. The DPJ is an improvement, but not enough. I think Takako Doi should come out of retirement and work with her female protege Mizuho Fukushima- the current head of the SDP to see if she can get the SDP (who are actually are basically the equivalent of the Green party in the US, but with more political power) to majority power and have Mizuho Fukushima become the first female prime minister of Japan. The SDP, like the Green party in the US have a lot of good ideas, and tend to fight hard to get them passed. Mizuho's surname would definitely make her name memorable to Japanese voters, and she marched with the Japanese protesters against Tepco recently too. She has a website here:

http://www.mizuhoto.org/

and even a blog:
http://mizuhofukushima.blog83.fc2.com/

Google translation of her policy page --Click here to view--
: Sun Dec 30 2010 16:41 | Category: 2011 tackle challenge

大臣として担当していた男女平等、消費者問題、子ども、子育て支援、青少年政策、障がい者政策、自殺防止などのテーマは、以前からもやってきたテーマ。 Was in charge of gender equality as a minister, consumer issues, children, parenting support, youth policy, the policy people with disabilities, such as suicide prevention theme, the theme came from the past.

また、雇用や脱原子力発電などは、社民党あげてやってきたテーマ。 Also, nuclear power and de-hiring, the subject came to give Party. しぶとく、しつこく、成果を出すべく、多くの人と力を合わせていきます。 Stubbornly, persistently, 出Subeku results, we will join forces with many people.

菅内閣が、第一にTPP への協議参加、法人税引き下げ、消費税率の引き上げなどで、また第二に、平和の問題で自民党政権もやらなかったことをやるのでは? Kan, the Cabinet, first joined TPP talks to the corporate tax cuts, such as raising the consumption tax, and secondly, we'll do in the Liberal Democratic Party did not do well on issues of peace? という点で、大きな危惧をもっています。 In that, fear has the Kina Hiroshi.

だからこそ、社民党の出番です。 That is why the Social Democratic turn. 「生活再建」めざして、愚直に、地道に、政策と運動でがんばり、成果をしっかり出していきたいと思います。 "Rebuilding lives" towards, and honestly, honestly, perseverance and exercise policy, I would like to put out good results.
■雇用 ■ Employment

何年来と取り組んできた労働者派遣法改正を2011 年こそ実現します。 Achieved because the worker dispatch law in 2011 and has worked many years. そして、「人間らしい労働」の実現、長時間労働の規制、同一価値労働・同一賃金の実現などを盛り込んだ労働憲章をつくりたいのです。 And "human labor" Implementation of the regulations of long working hours, I want to make labor charter incorporating the implementation of equal pay and work the same value. 「会社がどうなる?!」なんてことばかりを 言われがち。 "Companies will happen?!" I tend to just say. それは、労働が人間にとって、社会にとって、真ん中に据えるべき重要な価値ということが、社会の中に確立されていないからではないでしょうか。 It will work for humans, for society, but that 据Erubeki significant value in the middle, not from what has not been established in society. 労働憲章づくり運動で、労働の価値を真ん中に据える社会をつくりたい。 Manufacturing labor charter movement, want to make the value of labor in the middle lay Syakai.

○労働者派遣法の改正 ○パート労働法、有期雇用法の改正 ○労働憲章をつくる ○同一価値労働同一賃金実現のためのものさしづくり Revision of labor laws part of the Worker Dispatching ○ ○, making the same measure of wage labor for the realization of the same value ○ ○ labor charter amendment to create a definite term of employment law
■社会保障・医療 ■ Health and Social Security

○医療の再建:地域医療の再建、後期高齢者医療制度廃止 ○医療従事者の待遇改善 ○助産師制度への支援 ○介護施設の整備 ○介護職員の待遇の改善 ○暮らせる年金制度への道筋をつける ○貧困問題への対策 Medical rehabilitation ○: the reconstruction of community health, the road to improve the treatment of pension care workers live ○ ○ ○ assistance to the development of institutional care facilities better working conditions for midwives ○ ○ abolition of health care workers Masuzoe ○ poverty measures to keep
■男女平等 ■ Gender equality

○第三次男女共同参画基本計画の実現 ○民法改正 ○女性差別撤廃条約選択議 定書の批准 ○ DV 被害者支援の充実 ○ DV 防止法第3次改正 ○ Select the ratification of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women Rating Council amended the Civil Code ○ ○ Implementation of the Third Basic Plan for Gender Equality ○ DV ○ enhance victim assistance DV Prevention Law, Third Revision
■消費者 ■ Consumer

○消費者基本計画の推進 ○地方消費者行政の支援 ○相談員の待遇改善 ○国民生活センターの応援 NCAC cheer ○ ○ counselors better working conditions for government support of the local consumer ○ ○ Promotion of the Basic Plan for Consumers
■子ども ■ Children

○子ども権利基本法の立法 ○「子ども・子育てビジョン」( 子育て支援) の実現 ○「子ども・若者ビジョン」( 青少年政策) の実現 ○「子ども・子育て新システム」をいいものに変える ○虐待を受けた子どもへの支援強化 Legislation of the Basic Law Rights of the Child ○ ○ "Parenting Children Vision" (Parenting Support) ○ realization of "Vision for children and young people" (Youth Policy) ○ Realization of "raising the new system" Children abused ○ turn the good stuff strengthen support to children or
■障がい者 ■ People with Disabilities

○障がい者制度改革推進会議を受けて、2011 年に障がい者基本法の改正、2012 年に障がい者自立支援法にかわる障がい者総合福祉法、2013 年に障がい者差別禁止法をつくる By Council Reform disabilities ○, revision of the Basic Law of People with Disabilities in 2011, Welfare Law Center for Persons with disabilities an alternative to support law independence of people with disabilities in 2012, creating a law against discrimination of people with disabilities in 2013

○インクルーシブ教育の推進 ○ Promotion of Inclusive Education
■共生政策 ■ coexistence policy

○自殺予防施策の推進 ○性的マイノリティの支援 ○様々なマイノリティへの支援 Support for a variety of minority support for sexual minorities ○ ○ ○ Promotion of measures for suicide prevention
■税制 ■ Tax

○法人税引き下げ反対 ○配偶者扶養控除は、基礎控除を引き上げ、廃止する方向へ Allowance for dependent spouse tax cuts ○ ○ opposition is raising the basic exemption, the direction of abolishing
■人権 ■ human rights

○人権侵害救済機関の実現 ○捜査の可視化と証拠の開示の立法 ○司法修習生の待遇問題 ○難民問題 ○在日外国人の人権(外国人研修生問題を含む) Human rights of foreign residents refugee issue ○ ○ ○ legislative issues in the treatment of apprentices, students and visualization of the investigation discloses evidence of a rescue organization achieve human rights violations ○ ○ (including the issue of foreign trainees)
○死刑廃止 ○世界の様々な人権問題への取り組み Tackling a variety of human rights worldwide abolition ○ ○
■環境 ■ Environment

○脱原子力発電所政策の推進 ○もんじゅ、再処理、プルサーマルを止める ○上関に原子力発電所を建設させない ○原子力発電所の海外輸出に反対 ○自然エネルギーで新たな立法をする ○地球温暖化対策 ○生物多様性の確保 Monju ○ Promotion Policy nuclear power plant de-○, reprocessing, ○ global warming, ○ new legislation on renewables ○ against exports of nuclear power stations ○ Do not build a nuclear power plant Kaminoseki ○ stop pluthermal ensuring biodiversity
■平和憲法 ■ pacifist constitution

○武器輸出三原則、非核三原則の堅持 ○普天間問題の解決、辺野古に基地をつくらせない ○劣化ウラン弾禁止など、非人道的武器の廃止 Three Principles on Arms Export ○, ○ resolve the Futenma issue three nonnuclear principles of adherence, including a ban on depleted uranium weapons ○ Henoko not made a base at the abolition of inhumane weapons

Edited by ciardha, 22 April 2011 - 04:39 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#310 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:52 AM

Vote for Fukushima, don't let it happen again! mellow.gif In my opinion that would not be pretty if the name had a negative conotation.

http://photoblog.msn...s-the-last-time

Probably a couple of the most hectic hours you'll get.

Edited by Insurrection, 22 April 2011 - 04:53 AM.

#311 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Apr 22 2011, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vote for Fukushima, don't let it happen again! mellow.gif

Looking at her policy page, if she was running for president of the US I'd vote for her in a heartbeat.

#312 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

As bad as this "incident" was, it is to no comparison to the incidents that have occurred during our search for Fossil Fuels.

I do not in any way trust, or believe in Greenpeace. This are the same people who protested food progress and convince African nations to refuse the Green Revolution, in thus hundreds of thousands died of starvation and hundreds of thousands more are starving today. I see them as the people that if we allow to take over, will drive the world back into the stone age, and catsi, this plants are expensive, do you really think that the US government can maintain them, considering that it cannot maintain itself anymore.

Oh wth who cares!! We will all be immortal in 25 to 30 years anyways. Pollute the atmosphere, better yet, get a giant machine and suck it from the planet and sell it to an Alien race that wants it, who will it upset?! HA ha wacko.gif

Edited by Strangelove, 22 April 2011 - 10:28 PM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#313 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:10 AM

What does GreenPeace and their supposed agenda have to do with the topic at hand?

Even if they had a hand in the failure of the Green Revolution in Africa, the main reason it failed was because of corruption, lack of infrastructure, and lack of water for irrigation. It was poor government, planning, and enviornmental factors, almost nothing to do with GreenPeace.

Besides, as Catsi said, even with regulation, private companies will almost ALWAYS choose profit over safety. Tecpo and BP are perfect examples of this. If I recall correctly, Norway's oil refineries are state-owned and have one of the best safety records of off-shore oil-drilling. If being unable to maintain a nuclear power plant safely and finance it is a big issue, that's even more reason to research and develop renewables.

And if current trends on lifespan are any indication, immortal? In the industrialized world, maybe. Third world, no.

Edited by Kodachi Claws, 23 April 2011 - 04:23 AM.

#314 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

I'm not sure why this thread was closed, as there is no good reason I can see to have done so, so I'm re-opening this thread. This is relevant world news and there has been no arguing or fussing, so no purpose in closing a thread that's still actively posted in. The situation in Japan is far from over, and people will continue to want and need a place to express their feelings about the situation. So this thread will remain open.

#315 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for reopening it- current and recent news links:

http://www.sify.com/...fllafhigeg.html
http://mdn.mainichi....0na011000c.html
http://mdn.mainichi....0na018000c.html
http://mdn.mainichi....0dm006000c.html
http://www.nytimes.c...s...rss&emc=rss
http://www.allheadli...0...ds to Japan
http://news.gather.c...281474979311097
http://www.npr.org/2...mporary-housing
http://edition.cnn.c...unami.memories/
ttp://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/27/japan.quake.weddings/index.html
http://www.reuters.c...E7G61IV20110506
http://ecocentric.bl...-down-in-japan/
http://www.npr.org/b...s-up-his-salary

#316 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ May 11 2011, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for reopening it

No prob happy.gif

~~~

One Japanese villages defines Tsunami:

http://news.yahoo.co...29uZWphcGFuZQ--

#317 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

I'm glad we kept this thread open, because we've discovered something new at Fukushima...

http://www.washingto...EfTAH_blog.html

Tepco: Surprise! Two More Reactors actually melted down! And we never mentioned it for 2 Months!!! happy.gif

wot.gif 2 MONTHS!?!

#318 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

Yeah, I read that today and was going to link to it too.

Some more news links on the situation:

http://www.irishtime...4297712520.html
http://www.huffingto...t_b_866459.html

In the later article there's a bit about Mizuho Fukushima (the politician I noted a while back in this thread that had good policy stances) and how she is not giving up fighting for the Japanese people's welfare:

Mizuho Fukushima and members of Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). In the video, Ms. Fukushima presses MOFA on an extraordinary issue -- why are 40,000 dosimeters sitting in a warehouse at Narita airport and have not been distributed to people living near the Daiichi nuclear plant?

#319 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:27 AM

You've Got to be S^&%ing Me.

http://www.huffingto...p_n_879654.html

Yes, this issue is still happening with the same half life as Uranium.

Edited by Insurrection, 18 June 2011 - 03:28 AM.

#320 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:29 AM

Ugh a month ago I thought it was going to get better.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users