• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (Rick (Bonta-kun) @ Mar 9 2010, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yo sup dudes, being here in the future (Australia), I have FF13 biggrin.gif

Lucky bastard! hm.png

Well I paid off my pre-order today, but what the hell man. No Collector's Edition for North American Release!! What is this travesty of Square Enix not wanting my extra $20 for useless items and hard cover?! I had to settle with the only edition..standard.

Only thing sucks is I won't get a full chance to play it this week since I'm still busy with school and I can't skip any classes..

#42 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

And being waaaaaaaay in the past here, I have FF13 (Japanese audio).

#43 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Ye gads. the game is apparently already out here too D=
I frikkin hate the fact that i'm over 300 miles
from the nearest game store right now >.<
I miss Mumbai T_T

#44 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

I got it this morning. happy.gif

The battle system is very different from how I expected, but I've only played an hour at most. If there's some spare time tomorrow, I'll play some more. Some cool sequences, and the game just drops you right in the middle of everything. Lightning seems cool so far. So many questions in my head, but I'm sure a proper gaming session sometime this weekend will help answer those.

Krazy, you're over 300 miles from the nearest game store!? D:

#45 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

First off, I can tell that Sazh will be favorite my character, funny guy. Lightning kinda bores me right now, but I'll probably like her more as the game goes on. The game is pretty linear, I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bother me, but those who were bashing it were overreacting. It's good that I won't have to backtrack for hours on end like in other RPG's. I like the battle system, and supposedly it opens up as the game progresses so I'm looking forward to see what abilities we'll gain. Overall, a very good 1st impression for me. The long wait has been worth it.

#46 Ralozin

Ralozin

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:37 PM

Hopefully I can stop by and go to BB ASAP, I need mah FF's nao.

#47 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Mar 10 2010, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Krazy, you're over 300 miles from the nearest game store!? D:

While Goa is a tropical paradise thats amazing for parties and stuff.... There isn't a single game store in my state.
gaming is just not part of the people's mindset here lol. And yea. the place i lived in for the last 4 years is one of the
few cities in India where game stores exist. I miss being able to walk into a store and just pick games up T_T.
That being said there are tons of stores that do free shipping to my home. they just take upto a week to get
the games delivered though >.<

#48 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:46 AM

I think this maybe quite possibly the best visual game I've seen of this generation. Only thing I can find comparable is possibly Metal Gear Solid 4. It looks absolutely stunning on a Plasma/LCD screen.

#49 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:50 AM

Great visuals do not, a great game make.

Besides it's Square-Enix they literally wrote the book on game FMV. I'm surprised the cinemas don't come out the screen and smack you in the face.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#50 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

Time to share my opinion on the game, I'm about 7-8 hours in and so far, this is a pretty enjoyable RPG, despite the fact its very easy and extremely linear, I like it alot. All the characters (except maybe the little pansy Hope) are pretty good, battle system is alot better now that im starting to get quite a few different roles for the characters, and im sure it'll only get better once I get more summons.

Anyway, quite a good game so far, and unfortuanately, it looks like i'll have to let Yakuza 3 and GoW 3 collect some dust till I finish this biggrin.gif

#51 Chesh

Chesh

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

Okay Guys/Gals i have never played a FF game before.

I would like to you to tell me whether of not it is worth paying £35 for and why.

The only other RPG's i have really played is Mass Effect 1 and 2 which were excellent.
I'm making perfect sense your just not keeping up

#52 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Chesh @ Mar 11 2010, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would like to you to tell me whether of not it is worth paying £35 for and why.

The only other RPG's i have really played is Mass Effect 1 and 2 which were excellent.

Well Final Fantasy is a JRPG so it's quite a different experience from Mass Effect. I'd even say ME is more of a shooter with RPG elements.

Even though every Final Fantasy game is different the story is pretty similar in regards that you have a group of friends who initially don't know one another and don't usually like each other. But through the long adventurous journey of the game they come to realize True friendship yada yada yada and save the world together. That's the jist of it with a unique universe to explore in each game.

It is pretty much impossible to have two Final Fantasy fans who can agree on a list of favorites/hated titles. A lot of discrepancy among them in what they liked and didn't like. That's why it's hard to really get an opinion of what games to play and which ones will catch your interest. You have to do some experimenting and just see what game is for you. I may like FFVI or FFX and tell you to play them, and you may like them, but you may not like FFXII or FVII.

For FFXIII specifically which has gotten a lot of mixed reaction because it does change some of the traditional elements from previous games and the fact that JRPGs aren't as dominant as they were in the '90s, and also that many people prefer WRPGs it's hard to look at the ratings and decide whether to purchase the game.

I'll simply say:
  • Do you like 9 hours worth of amazing cut scenes?
  • Do you mind a linear yet engaging plot?
  • Do you like turn based combat with some real time action?
  • Do you mind (some) angsty characters and over the top drama?
  • Do you want to dedicate 60-70 hours to go through one complete play through?

Lastly, I'll just say since this is the first Final Fantasy of this (360/PS3) generation you might as well give it a shot. My first Final Fantasy (like many others) was FFVII on the PS1 and it made a big impression on me and how I liked RPGs and opened up a big interest to all the other Final Fantasy games. If it isn't going to constrain your budget, you should play the game.

#53 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Chesh @ Mar 11 2010, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say rent it then go from there, me personally I'm a shooter/action/adventure fan over RPG centric games. In my own personal opinion I kinda of gave up on Final Fantasy along time ago, one of the reasons being a never ending series and that gave me the impression of it being overall less important and memorable to own. (unless they bring back my childhood Advent Children VII and VIII) I think *cough GOWIII>FFXIII cough* 10/10 GI mag (which is rare) cough * epic Triology cough *

#54 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Mar 12 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say rent it then go from there, me personally I'm a shooter/action/adventure fan over RPG centric games. In my own personal opinion I kinda of gave up on Final Fantasy along time ago, one of the reasons being a never ending series and that gave me the impression of it being overall less important and memorable to own. (unless they bring back my childhood Advent Children VII and VIII) I think *cough GOWIII>FFXIII cough* 10/10 GI mag (which is rare) cough * epic Triology cough *

1. Most of the games in the Final Fantasy series are different, even if its a "neverending series", its only a series by name, all the games have different plots/characters. Personally I think its more memorable because they are all single game stories.
2. You are comparing a Hack and Slash to an RPG... not a very good comparison.
3. You mention reviews... reviews are pointless these days. All the popular magazines and websites get some sort of revenue from publishers wether its actually being paid off, or having ads all over the site/magazine. Even if I could still take reviewers seriously, reviews are still just one persons opinion.

Disclaimer: Do not think I am a GoW hater, I love the games, I just wanted to point out some flaws with that post.

Anyway, as for your question Chesh. I can't say for certain if you should get it or not, especially since the only RPGs you have played are the Mass Effect series, which is alot different from other RPGs. I have played a few Western RPG's and enjoyed them. And like you, this is my first Final Fantasy game and my first JRPG too really. So far I'm enjoying it alot. Like True said, if you dont mind alot of cutscenes, a linear story etc, then at least check out some trailers, especially the gameplay trailers, the more I go through the game, the more I'm loving the combat.

#55 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:29 AM

You mean the only flaw is it's my own opinion. biggrin.gif

IMOP, when i see a new FF all i see is same plot, same plot, and same plot. Save my friend/s then the world just sugar coated diffrently each time. (Don't mention shooters cuz their main point is shooting quality not plot).

Edited by Uzumakikage, 12 March 2010 - 05:34 AM.

#56 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

If what True listed doesn't convince you, I'd consider renting it. Playing it is the best way to find out whether or not it's worth the cash. I can only speak for myself, but I think XIII is accessible to those who haven't played FF before, It's a really amazing game.

#57 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Mar 11 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMOP, when i see a new FF all i see is same plot, same plot, and same plot. Save my friend/s then the world just sugar coated diffrently each time. (Don't mention shooters cuz their main point is shooting gameplot quality).

Actually it's funny the reasons that you listed is why I don't play the GoW, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Dante's Inferno...etc. action adventure clone games. Because deep down inside, they are all the same. You get a selection of weapons; get some sort of currency or drop that allows you to power up said weapon and you also get special moves for said weapon.

Then throw in excess amounts of blood, gore and a few button timed cinematic actions and you got the next Gamepro 5/5 reviewed game.

Oh I forgot to add the completely unnecessary and over the top plotline that seems completely epic that will bring upon Armageddon that is until you play the next sequel.

Edited by No WhereMan, 12 March 2010 - 02:45 AM.

#58 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Mar 11 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually it's funny the reasons that you listed is why I don't play the GoW, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Dante's Inferno...etc. action adventure clone games. Because deep down inside, they are all the same. You get a selection of weapons; get some sort of currency or drop that allows you to power up said weapon and you also get special moves for said weapon.

Then throw in excess amounts of blood, gore and a few button timed cinematic actions and you got the next Gamepro 5/5 reviewed game.

Oh I forgot to add the completely unnecessary and over the top plotline that seems completely epic that will bring upon Armageddon that is until you play the next sequel.

I completely understand how you feel/point, gamers are almost like politics "republican and democrat, right and left" RPG fans one side and shooters on the other. Both come up with good arguments; don't give me wrong i like a little puzzle solving just not alot.

#59 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Mar 11 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMOP, when i see a new FF all i see is same plot, same plot, and same plot. Save my friend/s then the world just sugar coated diffrently each time. (Don't mention shooters cuz their main point is shooting quality not plot).

If FF is the same plot, then all RPGs are the same. Save the world, or save something.

And shooters are basically either shooting aliens, shooting rebelling people, or shooting something. Pretty much every game out there has used the same formula.

I'm mentioning shooters because all shooters have a plot to go along with shooting quality. And sometimes both are crap. Shooters are the same thing, save Earth, save Planet something, save this person. Sugarcoated like all games.

Shooters need plot, otherwise, its just bland. (Unless of course, its a generic shoot-em-up on PSN/XBL)

#60 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

Ok...Let us return to the subject at hand. The game Final Fantasy XIII, we can discuss the flaws and strengths between shooters and RPGs in another thread. ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users