• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 1 2012, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I do not get the "You think the newer cartoon is bad because nostalgia is making you believing the eighties show was good despite of it was not" argument

Yeah to be honest I didn't understand that argument also. I mean the original show ran for 130 episodes, the newer show only 26. It's obvious the older one was doing something the newer one wasn't. ^^

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#122 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Yeah to be honest I didn't understand that argument also. I mean the original show ran for 130 episodes, the newer show only 26. It's obvious the older one was doing something the newer one wasn't. ^^

That is something I have seen online too often for my liking. If you praise an old anime/cartoon/movie/game and think it is better than most of current stuff you are letting nostalgia blinds you, and not matter how many reasons you have given or how well reasoned are your arguments. Oh, no, it is imposible you can have valid and legitimate reasons for liking something older or that something older it is better. If you liked it when you were a kid, it is because you were a dumb, unexperienced kid unable to tell good from bad, and if you watched it now you would not like it. And if you watched it now and you still liked it, you are clearly blinded by nostalgia since it is clearly impossible older shows were somewhat good. You can give hundreds of acceptaqble reasons, and the person you are arguing with still will dismiss everything as judgment-clouding nostalgia.

Okay, rambling finished. I am sorry about it tongue.gif . I am resurrecting this thread because recently I got another point of view about Thundercats cancellation. The last night I was watching episodes of the old show with a friend of mine and we briefly talked about the newer show being cancelled. He has been a big collector of action figures and toys since he was a kid: Transformers, Ninja Turtles, G. I. Joe, He-Man, Thundercats, Marvel Secret Wars, Power Rangers and super sentai, Ronin Warriors and Saint Seiya, Super Robot shows... and he explained to me that the success and longevity of a show depends more on merchandise sales than on ratings... and Thundercats 2011 toys sold not at all.

I kind of believe him. The original Gundam anime got cancelled due to abysmal ratings, but it was granted another chance because Gundam toys made much profit. And do you remember that super robot cartoon done few years ago? It was called Sym-Bionic Titan or something like that. After it got the axe, the cartoon-makers told the show got good ratings but it got cancelled due to the absence of toys to generate revenue.

So what do you think? Do you believe the show cancellation was due to the low toys sales rather than lousy writing or writers pissing the fanbase off? Then again, if you think the show is not good you can not feel less inclined to buy merchandise. And if you have read interviews with the cartoon-makers and you feel they are insulting you, you can quitting watching the show and buying merchandise altogether.

So what do you think?

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#123 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Mar 16 2013, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is something I have seen online too often for my liking. If you praise an old anime/cartoon/movie/game and think it is better than most of current stuff you are letting nostalgia blinds you, and not matter how many reasons you have given or how well reasoned are your arguments. Oh, no, it is imposible you can have valid and legitimate reasons for liking something older or that something older it is better. If you liked it when you were a kid, it is because you were a dumb, unexperienced kid unable to tell good from bad, and if you watched it now you would not like it. And if you watched it now and you still liked it, you are clearly blinded by nostalgia since it is clearly impossible older shows were somewhat good. You can give hundreds of acceptaqble reasons, and the person you are arguing with still will dismiss everything as judgment-clouding nostalgia.

Okay, rambling finished. I am sorry about it tongue.gif . I am resurrecting this thread because recently I got another point of view about Thundercats cancellation. The last night I was watching episodes of the old show with a friend of mine and we briefly talked about the newer show being cancelled. He has been a big collector of action figures and toys since he was a kid: Transformers, Ninja Turtles, G. I. Joe, He-Man, Thundercats, Marvel Secret Wars, Power Rangers and super sentai, Ronin Warriors and Saint Seiya, Super Robot shows... and he explained to me that the success and longevity of a show depends more on merchandise sales than on ratings... and Thundercats 2011 toys sold not at all.

I kind of believe him. The original Gundam anime got cancelled due to abysmal ratings, but it was granted another chance because Gundam toys made much profit. And do you remember that super robot cartoon done few years ago? It was called Sym-Bionic Titan or something like that. After it got the axe, the cartoon-makers told the show got good ratings but it got cancelled due to the absence of toys to generate revenue.

So what do you think? Do you believe the show cancellation was due to the low toys sales rather than lousy writing or writers pissing the fanbase off? Then again, if you think the show is not good you can not feel less inclined to buy merchandise. And if you have read interviews with the cartoon-makers and you feel they are insulting you, you can quitting watching the show and buying merchandise altogether.

So what do you think?

I would have to say it was a combination of things:

1. The writing was a bit off putting towards the end. Making it seamed rushed, and well making certain character flip flop like a bad fan fiction.

2. Toy sales weren't spectacular, thus leading to the network to rethink if the show was worth it. I imagine it probably cost alot to produce, and share holders drive companies now days.

Though the toy sale theory doesn't stand up to on the fact other shows such as adventure time and regular show have generally long runs. Though you can see it for shows like the Nickelodeon TMNT which had alot of merch pop up in a short time.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#124 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

I really, REALLY liked the premiere of the "new" Thundercats... and then I found about every other week there was a stupid episode. I didn't like where they were taking several of the characters, and it was starting to get hard to like many of the people involved in the show.

I don't give a damn about the toy sales. The toy sales may be why the show was cancelled, but I stopped watching before that because of the horribly inconsistant writing. (My hope was that it would eventually even out and then I'd rejoin the series, but it didn't last long enough for that)

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#125 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Mar 25 2013, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really, REALLY liked the premiere of the "new" Thundercats... and then I found about every other week there was a stupid episode. I didn't like where they were taking several of the characters, and it was starting to get hard to like many of the people involved in the show.

I don't give a damn about the toy sales. The toy sales may be why the show was cancelled, but I stopped watching before that because of the horribly inconsistant writing. (My hope was that it would eventually even out and then I'd rejoin the series, but it didn't last long enough for that)

tat seamed to be the major problem, I feel it was either a bunch of junior writers that had seen the original show, or some one had the idea, but lacked the skill to pull it off.
Shuch a shame really. To have potential, then to fizzle out as listless crude....
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#126 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Though the toy sale theory doesn't stand up to on the fact other shows such as adventure time and regular show have generally long runs. Though you can see it for shows like the Nickelodeon TMNT which had alot of merch pop up in a short time.

Well, TMNT always was a very merchandise-driven show, like most of the most sucessful eighties cartoons. Geez, Transformers was created to give a backstory to a toys line existed since the seventies.

It's a pity the show got such a promising beginning and then it quickly went south.

I get that you don't care about toys. I am not a toy collector either, even when I like some action figures. I may think a He-Man riding Battlecat toy looks cool, but that does not mean I'll buy it.

Then again, that may be part of the trouble, right?

Related to the subject, the last week I showed my nephew the first episode of the old show. Inmediately he begged MORE. He saw the first three episodes in one single day and he still wanted to watch more episodes.

You'll see, his first exposure to Thundercats was the newer show. When he watched advertisements for the premiere I mentioned off-handily that was a new version of a show I used to watch when I was child, and I showed him the opening. But that was all. Several days later he mentioned to me he had watched episodes of the new show, but that was the only thing he said to me about it.

So you'll see, I NEVER heard him raving about the newer show like he does about the older show.

So I can definitely tell the original cartoon definitely did something right -in spite its obvious flaws-. It is not fondly remembered cause blinding nostalgia.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#127 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

I've been periodically watching some of the older shows for source material. (I'm writing a fanfic using influences from the new show) Anyway, I found while there is a lot of 80s camp, there is a lot of solid storytelling in there too. The trials episodes in the older show were handled a lot better and wasn't rushed. There are good and bad episodes, but the good ones usually are on the money. And it's proved to be very entertaining to me now.

Also to point out I think CN is an exception to the whole toy sales thing. If it's an action show CN wants a successful toy line, regardless of how popular the show might be. Heck, I think many people can vouch for Sym-Bionic Titan was a good but it didn't have a successful toyline so it was 86. I believe the newer Masters of the Universe suffered the same fate. And now we have Young Justice and Green Lantern biting the dust.

Now granted the low ratings for TC2011 didn't help. The abysmal writing towards the second half of the first season. The writers ignoring the fanbase. And the failed toyline. Were basically all of the factors that contributed to the show getting cancelled. Honestly, I knew back in January when they came back from the first break that the show was going to get cancelled.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#128 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Apr 18 2013, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been periodically watching some of the older shows for source material. (I'm writing a fanfic using influences from the new show) Anyway, I found while there is a lot of 80s camp, there is a lot of solid storytelling in there too. The trials episodes in the older show were handled a lot better and wasn't rushed. There are good and bad episodes, but the good ones usually are on the money. And it's proved to be very entertaining to me now.

Also to point out I think CN is an exception to the whole toy sales thing. If it's an action show CN wants a successful toy line, regardless of how popular the show might be. Heck, I think many people can vouch for Sym-Bionic Titan was a good but it didn't have a successful toyline so it was 86. I believe the newer Masters of the Universe suffered the same fate. And now we have Young Justice and Green Lantern biting the dust.

Now granted the low ratings for TC2011 didn't help. The abysmal writing towards the second half of the first season. The writers ignoring the fanbase. And the failed toyline. Were basically all of the factors that contributed to the show getting cancelled. Honestly, I knew back in January when they came back from the first break that the show was going to get cancelled.

The series was a big failure because the writers were obviously Twilight fans. dry.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users