#61 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 18 2011, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, it took me forever to find it (the site I use to get raws doesn't have any chapters earlier than 461), but I've finally got something worth translating. It's Yamato's famous unfinished sentence at the Tenchi Bridge.

XD hi! um i wanna try my hand at it......im taking japanese >:3

last panel smile.gif

yamato: (Sakura..) which we all know....then he uses "kimi" which is feelings... and he says "Mite itara" which is kinda like "if you look"

"wakaru" means "to understand"

then he says "kimi" which is "feelings" again.

"honto" which means "really"

im sorry if all this is jumbled up.......

but basically he says....:sakura.....if you look at your feelings, you will understand you really.........(then he cuts off)

what im confused about is usually you use the "ga" right before " suki or daisuki" .......so i dont know if kishi just didnt want to make it totally obvious or what??? XDD though im not far in my text book that might say otherwise!!

OH WAIT i think you use....(wa) for "aikitteneru" which also means love....so he could of been going in that direction XD

....im not a pro at this!!!! ask narunaru if im wrong....but this is what i came up with.....

and if your not sure....i can translate the hiragana.....parts and little kanji if you want to just see for your self XD

Edited by merryGOflava, 25 October 2011 - 10:19 PM.

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#62 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 17 2011, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, it took me forever to find it (the site I use to get raws doesn't have any chapters earlier than 461), but I've finally got something worth translating. It's Yamato's famous unfinished sentence at the Tenchi Bridge.
This scene's been bothering me for a while, so much so that I made a thread about it when I joined this site. I guess it mainly bothers me how, based on every translation I've seen, it seems incredibly obvious what Yamato's about to say, and yet the moment apparently doesn't seem that obvious to a large portion of the shipping fandom. I'm not sure if it's because it was translated wrong, or if it's just because it was a third-party source that pointed it out (an irrelevant point, IMO, seeing as how this is a fictional story, and these scenes are inserted for a reason). In any case, I've seen so many translations of it, from Yamato simply pointing out Sakura caring for Naruto, to the subbed anime's version: "...the truth is, you really l-", I'm curious as to what the actual line is, and whether or not the unfinished line is just as obvious as in the original version. I'm also curious as to how the sentence is broken in Japanese, since I know Japanese sentence structure is a bit different than English.

Also, I like how busy this thread has become. It's nice to see so many interested in translations. happy.gif

Way back when Innera from NF used to take a look at translations, I recall she talked about this scene. I tried to go back and find it, but the club has been archived and those posts are gone, sadly. I do remember the gist of what she said...which was that it was highly implied (to a Japanese reader) that Yamato was referring to some sort of special/love/romantic feelings. I think she related it to the reply Kishi gave in that infamous interview ("...but still she...for Sasuke..."), that drop off of something highly romantic being implied. To a Japanese reader, she said it was obvious that there was some romantic connotation implied without it being completely stated openly. And I guess it makes sense in a way, given the more 'hidden' way the Japanese express their feelings, rather than being blunt about it.

Buuut, like I said, I can't find her actual post since its been archived. I guess Nick might have the old FC posts, but I'm not sure.

#63 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

@Merry: Thanks! I guess I was curious about the sentence structure, and how obvious/ambiguous it looked to a Japanese reader. Like I mentioned, all the translations I've seen made it look like there was an obvious romantic connotation to that scene.

So Yamato used "wa" at the end of his broken sentence? I guess I don't know how Japanese sentence structure works (I was trying to learn Japanese a while back on Rosetta Stone, but then realized that software is crap for languages with different alphabets). I think I recall "wa" being a general preposition or something. In this sort of context, could that lead to something like suki or daisuki, or is it normally "ga"?
That would be something if he was leading to "aikitteneru", but doesn't that word used for much deeper feelings? I guess that would strike me as odd, since "daisuki" was used by Sai in the Iron Counry Arc to describe Naruto's feelings for Sakura, and it'd seem odd to me if Sakura's feelings were described as that much deeper than Naruto's for her, at that point in the plot. But maybe that's what he meant. happy.gif

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Oct 25 2011, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Way back when Innera from NF used to take a look at translations, I recall she talked about this scene. I tried to go back and find it, but the club has been archived and those posts are gone, sadly. I do remember the gist of what she said...which was that it was highly implied (to a Japanese reader) that Yamato was referring to some sort of special/love/romantic feelings. I think she related it to the reply Kishi gave in that infamous interview ("...but still she...for Sasuke..."), that drop off of something highly romantic being implied. To a Japanese reader, she said it was obvious that there was some romantic connotation implied without it being completely stated openly. And I guess it makes sense in a way, given the more 'hidden' way the Japanese express their feelings, rather than being blunt about it.

Buuut, like I said, I can't find her actual post since its been archived. I guess Nick might have the old FC posts, but I'm not sure.

Wow, I didn't know Innera was a Japanese reader, or that she was fluent anyway. I guess that's the big thing I was curious about. There's such a gap between Eastern and Western languages, I've always wondered if the Japanese fandom interprets these scenes differently than some of us do in the Western fandom. I guess that answers the big thing I was curious about. It's good to know that the scene was as obvious to a Japanese reader as it was to most Westerners.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Boom...Winning, 25 October 2011 - 11:15 PM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#64 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Oct 25 2011, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm well I as long as Sakura loves Naruto more and picks him at the end out of her own free will without guilt I don't mind her still having feelings for Sasuke. I only overreact sometimes because as I said, I get sensitive to the possibilities of the other pairings happening and if they do I'l suck it up and come to terms with it eventually but it'll still leave a bad taste in my mouth shamefulcry0js.gif

Edited by Phantom_999, 25 October 2011 - 11:36 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#65 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 26 2011, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Merry: Thanks! I guess I was curious about the sentence structure, and how obvious/ambiguous it looked to a Japanese reader. Like I mentioned, all the translations I've seen made it look like there was an obvious romantic connotation to that scene.

So Yamato used "wa" at the end of his broken sentence? I guess I don't know how Japanese sentence structure works (I was trying to learn Japanese a while back on Rosetta Stone, but then realized that software is crap for languages with different alphabets). I think I recall "wa" being a general preposition or something. In this sort of context, could that lead to something like suki or daisuki, or is it normally "ga"?
That would be something if he was leading to "aikitteneru", but doesn't that word used for much deeper feelings? I guess that would strike me as odd, since "daisuki" was used by Sai in the Iron Counry Arc to describe Naruto's feelings for Sakura, and it'd seem odd to me if Sakura's feelings were described as that much deeper than Naruto's for her, at that point in the plot. But maybe that's what he meant. happy.gif

wa....used right before something is usually to show the subject of a sentence. smile.gif but there are different ones...

"ni" is used when your moving....like to go places and stuff.

"ga" is used on special cases, but i forget what it is exactly for smile.gif

"wa" is the most common one

"mo" is used like...."also" biggrin.gif its like a "me too" type thing

Edited by merryGOflava, 26 October 2011 - 12:48 AM.

#66 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:04 AM

Can't be "official" if Kishi or Shonen Jump don't know about it....or don't endorse it.

#67 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (merryGOflava @ Oct 25 2011, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"ga" is used on special cases, but i forget what it is exactly for smile.gif

It's used to show you are talking about a subject performing a specific action, not generalized, it's also used in sentences where the actual subject isn't stated.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#68 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

Mods.... don't you think we need to have this thread pinned??

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#69 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Oct 26 2011, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't be "official" if Kishi or Shonen Jump don't know about it....or don't endorse it.

I think it was intended to be the "official translation thread" for this site, not for the entire manga. At least that's what seemed obvious to me at first, but perhaps the wording was unclear, or I'm mistaken.

QUOTE (Codus N @ Dec 4 2011, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mods.... don't you think we need to have this thread pinned??

If narunarunaru came on here more often, I'd agree, but he/she seems pretty busy with his/her personal life, or at least they don't seem to post on here very often. Of course, if we had other official or unofficial translators for the thread willing to give a hand with translations, then it'd be another story. I'm gonna defer judgment to the mods, in any case.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 04 December 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#70 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Pinning this thread is to prevent this thread to be closed. So, I think the mods should do so, so that narunaru can always come back and help us. Also, to be honest, I had posted a thread regarding this thread in the Council Hall subforum. I need more people over there to vote so the mods can decide what to do with this thread.

http://www.narusaku....showtopic=11424

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#71 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

http://i11.mangaread...naruto-8842.jpg
What's that symbol in the bottom last panel mean? I guess it could mean Naruto realzing his "love" for Hinata or something. I doubt it but just making sure...

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#72 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (Fenris @ Dec 23 2011, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://i11.mangaread...naruto-8842.jpg
What's that symbol in the bottom last panel mean? I guess it could mean Naruto realzing his "love" for Hinata or something. I doubt it but just making sure...

Oh, so my answer wasn't good enough for you. /jk Yeah, I think its best we let the "translation pros" figure this one out 100%.

Left Hand to the Future Pirate King

Vinsmoke "Black Leg" Sanji

2XtVwF6.png

#73 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Lover @ Dec 23 2011, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, so my answer wasn't good enough for you. /jk Yeah, I think its best we let the "translation pros" figure this one out 100%.

I think Rocket said she can read Katakana (?) maybe she can help biggrin.gif

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#74 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Lover @ Dec 23 2011, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it says "GUSHI" which is like...a grab sound i think??

i read katakana :3

Edited by merryGOflava, 23 December 2011 - 05:15 AM.

#75 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (merryGOflava @ Dec 23 2011, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it says "GUSHI" which is like...a grab sound i think??

i read katakana :3

Yeah, it's just a sound effect.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#76 Anthony Harmon

Anthony Harmon

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

nice images....... ohboy.png whatthekitten.gif

#77 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm not sure if this is necessary anymore, since I posted the raw text on the 573 thread, but I thought I might as well post the raws here. This is more targeted towards narunarunaru, but anyone else who knows Japanese is welcome to take a shot at it. happy.gif

Basically, I'm just curious if the translations on MR or MS are pretty accurate, or if they took some liberties with some of shipping stuff (certainly wouldn't be the first time tongue.gif ). Naru already mentioned that Hinata's speech was intended to be romantic in tone, but I can't remember if anything was said about Sakura's speech. Is it intended to be platonic, or does it sort of have the same ambiguous tone as in the translation? Or is there some other hidden thing that doesn't translate over?

Thanks in advance, and no rush either. Just thought I'd bring it up, since some of us were panicking over that chapter. happy.gif

Edited by Boom...Winning, 19 February 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#78 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

They can seem romantic in anyway they are translated really. Intimacy = romance if you take it that way biggrin.gif

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#79 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

narunaru, since the new chapter's raw is out, would you be willing to take a shot at translating Itachi's lines from here:

http://raw.narutover.../narutoverse07/

Until the end?

And also Tsunade and Madara's convo:

http://raw.narutover.../narutoverse14/

All the way to the end?? Hopefully that's not too much for you

Edited by Codus N, 06 March 2012 - 08:06 AM.

248793.jpg

#80 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Mar 6 2012, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
narunaru, since the new chapter's raw is out, would you be willing to take a shot at translating Itachi's lines from here:

http://raw.narutover.../narutoverse07/

Until the end?

And also Tsunade and Madara's convo:

http://raw.narutover.../narutoverse14/

All the way to the end?? Hopefully that's not too much for you

Here I come!
Sasuke: It was you who said it! To come to me(=Itachi) when you(=Sasuke) have the same eyes!
So then why are you running away!? Because of guilt from lying to me!? Or you don't have the braveness to talk about the truth!?

Itachi:.......

Sasuke: I already....know everything about you...! That is why I decided to destroy Konoha!

Itachi: I think I told you when we fought...."people are living inside their own assumptions"...."don't you think so?"
"The reality may only be an illusion." .......the reality of me....

Sasuke: I'm not in an illusion anymore! I can see through your genjutsu!
This is YOUR EYES!!

Itachi:....*flashback of Naruto*
Naruto: Sasuke is supposed to understand your pain and resolve!! But rather than follow your will he is trying to destroy Konoha! He thinks he can avenge the brother he loves so much by fighting the village that hurt him!
*flashback ends*
Your bullish tone doesn't change but....I heard what happened to you after from somebody....that you changed a lot.....

Sasuke: No! You were the one who changed my everything!
I was supposed to die! I was supposed to be killed by you along with our parents! But...
*flashback of Tobi*
Tobi: So, Itachi decided that he will put an end to the clan history with his hands.
He didn't betray the Uchiha from hatred....It couldn't be helped
Discrimination from the village since the foundation....Price of the feud
Nobody can blame Itachi for his decision to sacrifice himself and put all those burden to his shoulders
*flashback ends*
Why was it me!? Why was I the only one left!?
*flashback of Tobi*
Do you know the meaning of why he couldn't bring himself to kill you? Your life was heavier than the village to him.
*flashback ends*
Why me...!! How am I different to father and mother!? Why always me...

Itachi: At that time you didn't know anything....Nothing about the foolish thinking of the Uchiha Clan....You were still a child.
And it weren't only for you...I wanted to be passed on a verdict from you, an "Uchiha"
For that I used the hatred within you....That is why I failed
But in the end, I gave you hatred, made you leave the village....and made you a criminal....
Even though, I wished you would walk the right path....
From before I die....To not make you go the wrong path....I tried to entice you to a one way road with no crossroads
Rewriting the path signs with lies and the power of my eyes

Sasuke: Just walking the path....knowing nothing!?
I don't want to walk such a path!

Itach: Yeah, you are right....What way you go is what you decide

Sasuke: No matter how much you re-write the path signs, now my eyes will see through it!

Itachi: He...

Sasuke: What is funny!?

Itachi: *reminiscing Naruto* The path signs weren't the only way to guide a path....

Sasuke: !?

Itachi: I'm supposed to be a dead man...I won't talk anymore

Sasuke:...!
When you were alive you never bothered with me, always poking me on my forehead and running away
Now that you are dead, are you still going to run away!?

Itachi: I am not running away
I told you, there is something I have to do

Edo Tensei...I need to stop it

End of Itachi Sasuke conversation.....

I know I said I would help as much as possible but long conversations of multiple pages are a bit too much. Sorry sweatdrop.gif I prefer if it is a page or a panel sleep.gif
268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users