119 replies to this topic

#21 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Well as people mentioned the Anime played a big part in her charactors success, I never watched the fillers so her popularitiy took me by surprise as well. Another factor is a VA that voices Hinata, she pretty much became VA royalty with her success as Fate in Mahou Shoujo Nanoha, I beleive her popularity extends beyond anime and she has a highly successful music career. It probably helped further that Hinata actually looks a bit like Nana Mizuki, and I'm sure SP exploited that further by making the anime charactor look even more like her.

From what i understand this has also backfired for nana. Because of her popularity they made a character for her in the toriko anime (not the manga) and at one point she was given a filler arc that caused a backlash so bad that the anime was cancelled (the fans have not forgiven her for that and brought it up when Naruto ending happened). For those who don't remember at one point it was a rising star in SJ and had taken bleach's place in the top three and was bound to pass Naruto at some points. Now? I felt i had to bring up it pass success and popularity just to remind people how popular it once was. 

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 01 September 2015 - 01:07 AM.

#22 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

Studio Pierrot did that with a lot of characters, Hinata and Sakura included. SP does this to Shino's being left out of missions and he gets massively insecure about it in the anime, Rock Lee and his passionate way of youth, Jiraya and his voyeurism played up for laughs, SP made the fanbase think that Orochimaru was just a creepy pedophile while he had other things going for him. SP made Hinata look like a creepy fangirling stalker in Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals or Naruto SD (whichever you want to call it). So its not just Sakura that gets singled out here by SP. There is a lot of Flanderization that goes on in the anime series. Just watch it carefully and you'll see it. 

Correct. They took their personalities and qualities and turned them to 11 and beyond. Truth is SP overly exaggerated these characters.

They took Naruto being not so bright, and made him into a true moron.

They took Sakura's tsundere, and made her into someone who just punches Naruto because.

They took all the characters and made caricatures out of them.

Edited by Nostradamus, 31 August 2015 - 04:53 PM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#23 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

How did iruka become popular?

By being a pairing tool.

#24 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

Most of the things people talked about here have a degree of truth, I mean it's widely known how Pierrot favors Hinata and how Nana Mizuki status as a famous voice pushed things further in the minds of the big wigs of the studio

Talking specifically about the manga though. I think Hinata mainly benefited from being a side character, because honestly Kishi made a mistake with all of his female character and in Hinata's case... she is bland, completely and utterly bland...in part 2 her only conflict is related to her crush on Naruto and that's that, if she was a MC many, many people would get annoyed at her like they did with Sakura, but Hinata status as side character didn't made her appear at the forefront of things so most of her fans unknowingly became biased towards her naturally and thus everything she did no matter how small it was was already amazing on their biased minds when she truly is just another one of the many bland female characters Kishi used in his story

By being a yaoi pairing tool.

Fix'd

Edited by Nar123, 31 August 2015 - 08:02 PM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#25 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:06 PM

Isn't it obvious? Hinata's popularity is all thanks to Sakura.

Whether you agree or not the fact of the matter is Sakura was very annoying at the start of the story. Her Sasuke fangirlism and her initial treatment of Naruto made a lot of fans hate her character. The anime team did not help matters as the exaggerated Sakura's behavior for comedy. Even though sakura changed, the damage was already done.

Hinata is basically the polar opposite of Sakura (and all the other females for that matter) and because she had a crush on the main character which a lot of people consider to be cute, that ultimately made her more appealing to the fandom. The anime also doing all the Hinata fanservice played a huge part in Hinata's rise to popularity.

Because a lot of people hated Sakura (the female lead), they moved on to the next best thing which is Hinata (her feelings for naruto is what made her stand out fro the other females).

I think this is a really good point. But I also think it's worth noting that Hinata DID have potential at the end of Part I to turn into an interesting character. I've posted this before, but I think there was a lot of material Kishi could have exploited to make her an interesting character and a strong kunoichi worthy of Naruto's affections.

#26 SlyNinjaKnight

SlyNinjaKnight

Loyal Follower of the OTP of Naruto

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Fandoms: Naruto, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Star Wars and others.

Wish that Kishi would just stop trying to 'fix' Naruto, I guess that no one ever told him the phrase 'digging your own grave'. I will remember fondly the characters that made me love Naruto that were sacrificed at the all-mighty altar that is money (and crazy fan boys/girls).

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:59 PM

It really is interesting how popular Hinata has become especially here in America, at least from what I've seen/read. I don't know if I'm just an outlier but I'm a guy who wants a girl who is going to speak up for herself, stick to her convictions and be my equal, not a doormat. And from what we got in the manga and the films, Hinata is nothing like that, she is quiet, doesn't speak her mind and gives up pretty easily (though she does get Naruto) on her dreams. My favorite female character is most certainly Hermione Granger from Harry Potter, she optimizes what a real female lead should be; brave, outspoken and not willing to back down from adversity. Even though I didn't like how JKR put Hermione with Ron, she certainly did things right when creating a true female hero and 2nd tier character (since Harry is 1st tier). Is Hinata's personality and characterization just a result of Japanese culture or something else?

Edited by SlyNinjaKnight, 31 August 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#27 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:23 AM

The image is in the dark but i assure you i saw it a few weeks back and the image was very detailed you can make out everything from that water fall image.

I used the wrong word, but that's what I mean.

#28 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:15 AM

It really is interesting how popular Hinata has become especially here in America, at least from what I've seen/read. I don't know if I'm just an outlier but I'm a guy who wants a girl who is going to speak up for herself, stick to her convictions and be my equal, not a doormat. And from what we got in the manga and the films, Hinata is nothing like that, she is quiet, doesn't speak her mind and gives up pretty easily (though she does get Naruto) on her dreams. My favorite female character is most certainly Hermione Granger from Harry Potter, she optimizes what a real female lead should be; brave, outspoken and not willing to back down from adversity. Even though I didn't like how JKR put Hermione with Ron, she certainly did things right when creating a true female hero and 2nd tier character (since Harry is 1st tier). Is Hinata's personality and characterization just a result of Japanese culture or something else?

It think it stems from the "everyone gets an A" mentality. You know where their shouldn't be anymore competitions because it could hurt someone feelings if they don't win and everyone should get what they want to make happier world. If no one wants to work just live off welfare it ok. And so on. So when they saw hinata they pitied her in some form and thought that she should get Naruto cause they thought that she deserve Naruto.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 01 September 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#29 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

b99deq.jpg

Gee, I wonder what could have made her so popular?

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#30 milan kyuubi

milan kyuubi

YATO

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts
  • Interests:Nothing.....somthing.....dunno.......

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

b99deq.jpg

Gee, I wonder what could have made her so popular?

It goes right with that recent Kishi interview. Where one person said he likes Hinata. And kishi asked "You like big breasts?". Hinata is a dream fulfilment for (as Titler said) beta males. Who are scared of strong, independent etc etc woman. And prefer no personality doormat sex doll.

EVen sexist Kishi knows it....

Yp330yZ.gif

#31 ultranx

ultranx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:DBZ, naruto, pokemon, digimon, one piece, megaman, sonic, legend of zelda, yugioh,gurren lagann, transformers, kingdom hearts, yuyu hakusho, sword art online, tmnt, gundam.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

Yes, he said she's weird.
What I mean is in the first episode of naruto.

@radra
And she's the only girl who like naruto. That itself is an advantage.
Have kishi create another character who like naruto and she's a tsundere, trust me the tsundere will won.

yes but ken was talking about the manga, not the anime, reread his comment xD

tumblr_mba4mg4Ip61ryf7dio1_r1_500.gif

#32 12771a

12771a

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

Isn't it obvious? Hinata's popularity is all thanks to Sakura.

Whether you agree or not the fact of the matter is Sakura was very annoying at the start of the story. Her Sasuke fangirlism and her initial treatment of Naruto made a lot of fans hate her character. The anime team did not help matters as the exaggerated Sakura's behavior for comedy. Even though sakura changed, the damage was already done.

Hinata is basically the polar opposite of Sakura (and all the other females for that matter) and because she had a crush on the main character which a lot of people consider to be cute, that ultimately made her more appealing to the fandom. The anime also doing all the Hinata fanservice played a huge part in Hinata's rise to popularity.

Because a lot of people hated Sakura (the female lead), they moved on to the next best thing which is Hinata (her feelings for naruto is what made her stand out fro the other females).

This pretty much. Plus SP focuses on her more than the manga. For example giving her jutsus, some fillers.

tumblr_muw6dyQ0dw1qjcgkbo1_500.gif

#33 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

Naruto is a self-insert. That's why.

ナルサク

#34 hinataiscreepy

hinataiscreepy

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

I  have only watched the films (I really lack the patience to read long books). Ron and Hermione at least had tons of moments and development and a friendship that felt real and could blossom into a relationship. I think they had the most chemistry as well for pulling the punchlines at each other non stop.

Harry Potter's ending is literally the opposite of Naruto. Harry is with his son who is facing similar insecurities but he is there to help him out instead of bsing about "enduring" and trying to justifying himself (Kishi) about being a terrible father instead of being a good one...

The last shot of the trio is very satisying and emotional which something that Naruto should have ended on. They look happy fulfilled in peace...

#35 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

One word

Merchandising.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#36 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

Here is a question for you. Do you think that if Sakura was given big boobs just like Hinata and SP would've given her lots of filler moments and fanservice, would people still prefer Hinata over Sakura?

Edit. Sakura's personality wouldn't change she would still remain the same except bigger boobs.

Edited by Nostradamus, 01 September 2015 - 02:53 PM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#37 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

Here is a question for you. Do you think that if Sakura was given big boobs just like Hinata and SP would've given her lots of filler moments and fanservice, would people still prefer Hinata over Sakura?
Edit. Sakura's personality wouldn't change she would still remain the same except bigger boobs.

Well, the anime exaggerated her beating up Naruto so I'd say her reception would stay the same

#38 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

If she had bigger boobs than Hinata? All the brainless Otakus would love her.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#39 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

If she had bigger boobs than Hinata? All the brainless Otakus would love her.

Yeah, but as said, she'd keep her tsundere attitude, Ken, and some fans seem to hate that about her.

#40 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

From what i understand this has also backfired for nana. Because of her popularity they made a character for her in the toriko anime (not the manga) and at one point she was given a filler arc that caused a backlash so bad that the anime was cancelled (the fans have not forgiven her for that and brought it up when Naruto ending happened). For those who don't remember at one point it was a rising star in SJ and had taken bleach's place in the top three and was bound to pass Naruto at some points. Now? I felt i had to bring up it pass success and popularity just to remind people how popular it once was. 

I didn't know some of that about Ms. Mizuki being in Toriko led to its cancellation with her character (a filler character) getting an arc and with such backlash and all. Plus there's some who haven't forgiven her for Naruto, even with her role as Ange in Cross Ange, though some fans teased her about The Last and all of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users