BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

Since most of Part 1 fillers & Shippuden episode 166's filler scenes are the main reason for Hinata's popularity in the west. I was wonder what if Sakura had those fillers? Would Sakura be over praised like Hinata? Would the NaruSaku fandom be larger? Would Hinata get the hate? What does everyone think?

Edited by BlueStarSaber, 05 November 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#2 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:04 AM

Since most of Part 1 fillers & Shippuden episode 166's filler scenes are the main reason for Hinata's popularity in the west. I was wonder what if Sakura had those fillers? Would Sakura be over praised like Hinata? Would the NaruSaku fandom be larger? Would Hinata get the hate? What does everyone think?

That's a good question. While it won't change anything for me, though it does feed my ego as well providing AMVs content, I would like to know how people would have seen. Maybe people would get more angry but eh, I can't really say. All I can say is for those who keeps using filler intentional or not, they won't be saying it anymore.

I don't know if the fandom would increase, but I would like to say that there is a chance, because I remember the episode with many NS moments, the one after KN4 incident, and many people were actually rethinking that NS can really work. So who knows. Hinata would get no hate, but no strong love. I think I can say that carefully.

#3 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:08 AM

That's a good question. While it won't change anything for me, though it does feed my ego as well providing AMVs content, I would like to know how people would have seen. Maybe people would get more angry but eh, I can't really say. All I can say is for those who keeps using filler intentional or not, they won't be saying it anymore.

I don't know if the fandom would increase, but I would like to say that there is a chance, because I remember the episode with many NS moments, the one after KN4 incident, and many people were actually rethinking that NS can really work. So who knows. Hinata would get no hate, but no strong love. I think I can say that carefully.

I must admit that almost made me a Narusaku sooner than I would of been, unfortunately their were some NaruSaku bits I missed in part 1 and I mainly saw NH filler.

#4 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

I must admit that almost made me a Narusaku sooner than I would of been, unfortunately their were some NaruSaku bits I missed in part 1 and I mainly saw NH filler.

NH stuff comes after part 1 technically ended. Still, it wasn't that much to make Naruto seems really interested, rather stay one track. Still, the effect went through and some people keeps forgetting that Hinata shows up much later in the series than the very beginning.

#5 TrueSacrifice

TrueSacrifice

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

If that is the reason then I really don't know. I think we need to know exactly why Sakura is not that popular in the west if we want the true answer. If it's because she hits Naruto I don't think there would be any change because guaranteed she would hit Naruto in filler episodes dedicated to her. It's just part their character dynamic.

I can say with certainty that Hinata wouldn't receive more hate, it's just likely that she wouldn't receive as much attention overall. She's an appealing character for some reason so the anime team decided to give her a lot more scenes and dedicated episodes. I guess her fanbase grew because of that?

Edited by TrueSacrifice, 05 November 2013 - 02:41 AM.

#6 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

It's funny to note that in west, I learned late that Misty actually hit Ash more than you see in dubbed edition. So it begs the question, is it really taken the wrong way?

#7 redragon88

redragon88

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:02 AM

Did people really start liking NH because of those Part 1 fillers? What on earth made any of them special?

As far as I remember it was all about Naruto acting as his usual energetic self and Hinata suddenly finding herself too close to him which made her nervous. That's seriously all there was to their relationship in Part 1 fillers.

To be honest there are so many animes that plat around with how the shy secondary girl has a crush on the main character that when I see Hinata do the same it's completely a non factor.

Hinata is literally no more than the secondary girl that usually likes the hero but doesn't end up with him because she's not part of his story. Hinata is one of many secondary girls in anime/manga that are meant to have a few shining moments with the hero that help mature their character. It's all about advancing Hinata, not NH, and that goes for both fillers and the actual storyline.

#8 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

Did people really start liking NH because of those Part 1 fillers? What on earth made any of them special?

As far as I remember it was all about Naruto acting as his usual energetic self and Hinata suddenly finding herself too close to him which made her nervous. That's seriously all there was to their relationship in Part 1 fillers.

To be honest there are so many animes that plat around with how the shy secondary girl has a crush on the main character that when I see Hinata do the same it's completely a non factor.

Hinata is literally no more than the secondary girl that usually likes the hero but doesn't end up with him because she's not part of his story. Hinata is one of many secondary girls in anime/manga that are meant to have a few shining moments with the hero that help mature their character. It's all about advancing Hinata, not NH, and that goes for both fillers and the actual storyline.

Honestly, I have no real idea, but I do see many with using fillers as evidence. Though maybe they are truly unaware of it, but I don't really know.

#9 narusakuforlife1667

narusakuforlife1667

Kaneki Ken did nothing wrong!

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:-My bae Blake is my interest if you know what I mean
    -NaruSaku are my babies they deserve to be together and have many children together because they deserve it
    -EreMika *.*/
    -Madoka Magica will forever be my top 10 anime

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

Maybe it will change a bit of the hate population by a good 15 percent but we don't need fillers to love Sakura!!!!!!!!!!! :th_yeah:

Edited by narusakuforlife1667, 05 November 2013 - 03:40 AM.

http://glimmeringsky1890.tumblr.com

Also if you want visit my fanfiction account

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5372808

#10 Inferno180

Inferno180

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:53 AM

Its a good question, but this scenery depends. I mean if Sakura has any major fillers, its her part 1 arc when she goes with Naruto and Jiraya to find Sasuke. Also a big one we can consider is how by the anime continuity, Naruto still loves Sakura as he said to that girl in ep 235.

In a similar respect to what hinata had with 166, the only extended or filler scenes from sakura i can think of are how she wanted to assist naruto with wind style by giving him food pills, but that was just a side comedy one. Well it also put more emphasis on her feelings in the anime extended scene, like when she looks at the picture of the old team 7, yamatos words go through her head again which still strikes me as odd, adding emphasis from yamato's scene on a smaller one for Sakura to herself. Yet this anime equivlent scene with Sakura is hardly mentioned but it doesn't suffer from overblown absurdity like the way 166 does by taking a 2 to 5 page event and making it into an entire episode. Canonically, hinata is steamrolled. Canonically in this case with Sakura, we never get that emphasis with her thinking of yamato's words a second time. Yet its still in a realm of acceptablity it hasn't overblown everything, she was thinking of team 7 looking at the picture in the scene, the anime just added a bit more of well, what she could have thought about with naruto or yamatos words on how she feels for him. Yet this is still a totally believable scene despite the anime extension, I mean she did gradually open up to naruto more after the 4 tails event, she liked how he said they were both getting closer to sasuke and she offered to feed him. Likewise the hug was the biggest jump for naruto and sakura's friendship.

However, if sakura did get the filler treatment to the extent hinata does, well i don't know, I mean sakura is fine with just the manga, anime does give her a couple more fight scenes though and I enjoyed the tsundere comedy of her pummeling naruto long as it was a good reason for him getting nailed. Besides, naruto can withstand it and sakura isn't nailing him for everything, shes become much more compassionate towards him.

When people insult my OTP

Insulting a man’s ship, be worse than insulting his mother.

#11 咲耶姫

咲耶姫

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:08 AM

I don't think so, because to me, her popularity comes from her personnality. If Sakura had to have all Hinata's fillers, she should switch personnality with her, she should be shy, secretly in love with Naruto and nervous around him. Those are the reasons why Westerns fans love Hinata, not because of the context of the fillers, but because of her attitude in these fillers. So even if Sakura was Hinata in these episodes, she wouldn't act the same and she would still gain hate from the fandom. 

All is matter of personnality. People praise Hinata because she's "sweet and shy with Naruto", while Sakura is "the evil and mean girl who spends her time hitting Naruto".  

So yeah, even if Sakura would get these fillers episode, she would still be hatedd, because Westerns fans don't understand what a tsundere is.

tumblr_nfrs3f8pa31qjba4uo2_400.gif

#12 Deej

Deej

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

It wouldn't change a thing. Sakura is a main character. The way she is portrayed in the manga will always define her character. Filler doesn't matter for her. The same with Naruto. He is in pretty much every filler episode, but none of it influences the way the fandom sees him. Because he gets so much development in the canon story.

Filler matters for Hinata because she is a secondary character who gets little exposure in the manga. Same thing for most of the Konoha kids. So the filler becomes more effective for someone like a Tenten or Shino, because without it, we'd know virtually nothing about them.

Look at Temari. Kishi rarely uses or develops her character. A recent filler episode spent a few minutes showing her connection to one of the Edo Tensei zombies and hinting she is in love with Shikamaru. In about 5 minutes, the anime did more for the Temari character than Kishi has in about 7 years. That is who filler is for.

Edited by Deej, 05 November 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#13 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

NH fans would be without material to make AMV's and gifs.

SK-303_image007.jpg

#14 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Indeed, I often saw the shy girl types get sidetracked by the protagonist in favour of an more strong willed an tsundere type of girl. It's  like they have the advantage by default.

Just look at all the examples were girls that have Sakura personality type ending up with the protagonist:

Love Hina, Evangelion, Toradora!, Index Saga, Anohana, Full metal panic! and others that don't come to mind right now.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#15 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

Well I'm not really sure if the fillers were the main reason for Sakura hate. I just said it cause I know most people including myself were introduced to Naruto though the Anime. Cause of that since many of us didn't know their was a Manga we would think all episodes as canon. Not to mention I keep hearing that more people watch Anime than read Manga, but I'm not sure it's true. So while it might or not be the main reason for Sakura hate it probably did help increased it.

NH fans would be without material to make AMV's and gifs.

:-D true that, well Anime ones at least.

It's funny to note that in west, I learned late that Misty actually hit Ash more than you see in dubbed edition. So it begs the question, is it really taken the wrong way?

Really? Anyway isn't Misty the most popular female in the Anime for Pokemon? Perhaps the west's history on abuse has made people think any hitting is wrong no matter the content it's displayed in.

Maybe it will change a bit of the hate population by a good 15 percent but we don't need fillers to love Sakura!!!!!!!!!!! :th_yeah:

True that :-D .

Its a good question, but this scenery depends. I mean if Sakura has any major fillers, its her part 1 arc when she goes with Naruto and Jiraya to find Sasuke. Also a big one we can consider is how by the anime continuity, Naruto still loves Sakura as he said to that girl in ep 235.

In a similar respect to what hinata had with 166, the only extended or filler scenes from sakura i can think of are how she wanted to assist naruto with wind style by giving him food pills, but that was just a side comedy one. Well it also put more emphasis on her feelings in the anime extended scene, like when she looks at the picture of the old team 7, yamatos words go through her head again which still strikes me as odd, adding emphasis from yamato's scene on a smaller one for Sakura to herself. Yet this anime equivlent scene with Sakura is hardly mentioned but it doesn't suffer from overblown absurdity like the way 166 does by taking a 2 to 5 page event and making it into an entire episode. Canonically, hinata is steamrolled. Canonically in this case with Sakura, we never get that emphasis with her thinking of yamato's words a second time. Yet its still in a realm of acceptablity it hasn't overblown everything, she was thinking of team 7 looking at the picture in the scene, the anime just added a bit more of well, what she could have thought about with naruto or yamatos words on how she feels for him. Yet this is still a totally believable scene despite the anime extension, I mean she did gradually open up to naruto more after the 4 tails event, she liked how he said they were both getting closer to sasuke and she offered to feed him. Likewise the hug was the biggest jump for naruto and sakura's friendship.

However, if sakura did get the filler treatment to the extent hinata does, well i don't know, I mean sakura is fine with just the manga, anime does give her a couple more fight scenes though and I enjoyed the tsundere comedy of her pummeling naruto long as it was a good reason for him getting nailed. Besides, naruto can withstand it and sakura isn't nailing him for everything, shes become much more compassionate towards him.

Oh yeah I keep forgetting about those fillers with Sakura, mainly because Hinata gets more and like you said with 166 it was overblown unlike Sakura and the food pills.

I don't think so, because to me, her popularity comes from her personnality. If Sakura had to have all Hinata's fillers, she should switch personnality with her, she should be shy, secretly in love with Naruto and nervous around him. Those are the reasons why Westerns fans love Hinata, not because of the context of the fillers, but because of her attitude in these fillers. So even if Sakura was Hinata in these episodes, she wouldn't act the same and she would still gain hate from the fandom. 

All is matter of personnality. People praise Hinata because she's "sweet and shy with Naruto", while Sakura is "the evil and mean girl who spends her time hitting Naruto".  
So yeah, even if Sakura would get these fillers episode, she would still be hatedd, because Westerns fans don't understand what a tsundere is.

I wasn't referring to personality swapping more like all those jutsu and fights she got. Not that they should give Sakura a lot of filler jutsu they could of worked on the skills she had. Like her intelligence, making traps, strength (sort of did that in the filler land of Tea arc) and Medical jutsu she was learning (though I think they did for that).

#16 Branden

Branden

The man who's going to save the world.

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

This isn't a joke people. If Naruto stumbled upon a naked Sakura in a waterfall he could have died.

EDIT:

incase you don't know what I'm referencing : https://www.youtube....h?v=D0beWGCwo6M

Edited by Branden, 05 November 2013 - 02:10 PM.

Romance_Dawn_Arc.png

"This hat means a lot to me. Promise me you'll give it back someday...

when you've become a great pirate." -Shanks

#17 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

He would have died satisfied..........  :chuckle:  :P 

Well I doubt It would change their minds about Sakura, because 1) that does not erase all the comedic violent moments that were presented in the anime either which is partly why they hate and bash her in the first place, 2) which ties to part one, Sakura was not a fawning fangirl for Naruto like Hinata was which is why they keep saying that Naruto should get with Hinata because Sakura did not like him or treat him nicely (and apparently that labels her for life) plus they think Hinata being the only girl that like Naruto in his harsh childhood is cute, and 3) only one word; Sasuke. The west for the most part hates Sasuke because they don't understand him. Basically, Sasuke' beliefs and way of thinking are part of older East Asian customs which is to honor your family first (in this case avenge them) which Westerners do not value because of their belief in individualism. So anyone that likes him or considers him their friend will get the hate too. Apparently Naruto has haters and bashers too because of his apparent obsession with redeeming Sasuke and taking him back to the village.

But that's not the point here. I Love Sakura. She's one of my favorite characters, and I accept her always. It's just that the typical american fan is not so forgiving to her for those reasons. And to be honest I did find her annoying too in part one but only because of her fangirling Sasuke. Nothing else. However I acknowledge that a huge part of her character is growing out of selfishness and being more kind and considerate to others. But even I, a huge fan of hers find it hard to take her development seriously sometimes because Kishi keeps kicking back in the one flaw of her character that turns people off and not tolerate her, Sasuke. I present 540. That is all. Actually we can argue this for some of the females too. The K 11 which are the central characters generally are a quarter girls (more or less) in which 3/4ths (more or less) are obsessed with a boy, and can't get that crush out of their heads. It's not a matter of Kishi being bad at writing females, he is just flabbergasting female adolescence and won't let them get over it, which is  why I believe that the west is calling his portrayal of females for the most part, sexist. making the girls stronger is not enough to get the west to accept them, they also need to get over their crush phase apparently. Not that I actually have a problem with it, but I just thought of possible reasons to explain why the west does not like Sakura, and call Kishi sexist. *shrugs*

Edited by Phantom_999, 05 November 2013 - 04:28 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#18 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

He would have died satisfied..........  :chuckle:  :P 

Well I doubt It would change their minds about Sakura, because 1) that does not erase all the comedic violent moments that were presented in the anime either which is partly why they hate and bash her in the first place, 2) which ties to part one, Sakura was not a fawning fangirl for Naruto like Hinata was which is why they keep saying that Naruto should get with Hinata because Sakura did not like him or treat him nicely (and apparently that labels her for life) plus they think Hinata being the only girl that like Naruto in his harsh childhood is cute, and 3) only one word; Sasuke. The west for the most part hates Sasuke because they don't understand him. Basically, Sasuke' beliefs and way of thinking are part of older East Asian customs which is to honor your family first (in this case avenge them) which Westerners do not value because of their belief in individualism. So anyone that likes him or considers him their friend will get the hate too. Apparently Naruto has haters and bashers too because of his apparent obsession with redeeming Sasuke and taking him back to the village.

But that's not the point here. I Love Sakura. She's one of my favorite characters, and I accept her always. It's just that the typical american fan is not so forgiving to her for those reasons. And to be honest I did find her annoying too in part one but only because of her fangirling Sasuke. Nothing else. However I acknowledge that a huge part of her character is growing out of selfishness and being more kind and considerate to others. But even I, a huge fan of hers find it hard to take her development seriously sometimes because Kishi keeps kicking back in the one flaw of her character that turns people off and not tolerate her, Sasuke. I present 540. That is all. Actually we can argue this for a some of the females too. The K 11 which are the central characters generally are a quarter girls (more or less) in which 3/4ths (more or less) are obsessed with a boy, and can't get that crush out of their heads. It's not a matter of Kishi being bad at writing females, he is just flabbergasting female adolescence and won't let them get over it, which is  why I believe that the west is calling his portrayal of females for the most part, sexist. making the girls stronger is not enough to get the west to accept them, they also need to get over their crush phase apparently. Not that I actually have a problem with it, but I just thought of possible reasons to explain why the west does not like Sakura, and call Kishi sexist. *shrugs*

I think it boils down to kishi's obsession towards sasuke and his redemption I have to admit even im upset about this. In the recent chapters naruto even placed sasuke over shikamaru and it did get me upset. As for sakura yes it did frustrate me that she still clings on to sasuke when it clearly bring her down as a character. I know she didn't have enough time to think about her feelings for naruto and sasuke maybe thats why she can't make clear decision yet? Also if it becomes the only plot point for sakuras to be involved in i 'll be pretty disappointed because sakura should be more than just romance plot device. No wonder why sakura is very hated in the west and people don't consider her to be a herione.

As anime studio i think if they try to put sakura in a better light on her good treats of her character then maybe we ns/sakura fans don't have to struggle to have decent episodes of her. As for haters they will always try find ways to hate her. However for kishi maybe he will feel more energized to write sakura into a more better character he may not watch the anime, maybe hearing about the positiveness of the herione he wants might make him happy. "sigh" :sad:  

Also kishi might not forgetful of sakura and he wouldn't have to burden the very character he made. I know sakura's fictional, but as a fictional character she does make me sad that she gets way too much hate then any other characters i,ve seen. As a fan of her i just don't want to be depressed while seeing other sakura fan defending her every day. Not to mention they can't even mention they like naruto with the name hinata constantly being solved into there face. Its a real struggle being a NS/sakura fan. 

#19 redragon88

redragon88

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Indeed, I often saw the shy girl types get sidetracked by the protagonist in favour of an more strong willed an tsundere type of girl. It's  like they have the advantage by default.

Just look at all the examples were girls that have Sakura personality type ending up with the protagonist:

Love Hina, Evangelion, Toradora!, Index Saga, Anohana, Full metal panic! and others that don't come to mind right now.

I Know it happened in Love Hina, Toradora and Full Metal Panic (although I really haven't seen that one), but why do you bring up the others?

In Evangelion the ending was... weird, so love interests don't really matter.

When you say Index saga are you referring to To aru Index? Because as much as I like Mikoto it doesn't seem Touma is even aware that he has girls that like him. Although I hope that might change in the end.

And with Anohana, from what I remember the main character was still in love with the dead girl in the end, although in the end scenes it does seem that his relationship with the tsundere improved plenty, but they didn't begin a romance. I guess it was left like that so the audience could speculate about it.

#20 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Really? Anyway isn't Misty the most popular female in the Anime for Pokemon? Perhaps the west's history on abuse has made people think any hitting is wrong no matter the content it's displayed in.

Yeah. It's funny because I was going to memory/nostalgic trip lane since the new game came out. So I decided to look back and I learned from many that there were missing slap scenes from Misty. I wonder because at the time, it would look "abusive". If you recall the show, somehow it has less censored than 4kids One Piece. I mean how the hell that was possible. Guns were shown a lot in Pokemon, actual color and all, yet in One Piece, they're toys. Oddest logic thus far.

So this begs the question, is it true that if USA sees the slaps early on, they would have cause an uproar within media?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sakura, Hinata, Naruto Anime, Naruto Shippuden, Fillers, Studio Pierrot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users