• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

One Thread to rule them all... Okay, too corny.

I am a bit of a Tolkien geek, and I was wondering if there were other fans in the site. The book is one of the best books that I have read and I consider it a classic work of Literature.

So if someone wants to talk about the books or has some questions about the Tolkien world or what books of his reading... this is the place.

I guess I can start stating what my favorite TLOFR characters are: Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, Eowyn, Theoden... And of The Silmarillion, Luthien, Beren, Finrod, Fingolfin...

Since right now fans are waiting for the airing of last film of The Hobbit, I think it is a good time place to quote two letters of Tolkien. You will see, in 1938 a German editor approached to Tolkien's editors regarding the possibility of a German edition of The Hobbit... and they asked if Tolkien was "Aryan". Tolkien was very NOT amused:

Letter 29 From a letter to Stanley Unwin 25 July 1938
[Allen & Unwin had negotiated the publication of a German translation of The Hobbit with Rütten &
Loening of Potsdam. This firm wrote to Tolkien asking if he was of 'arisch' (aryan) origin.]
"I must say the enclosed letter from Rütten and Loening is a bit stiff. Do I suffer this
impertinence because of the possession of a German name, or do their lunatic laws require a
certificate of 'arisch' origin from all persons of all countries?
Personally I should be inclined to refuse to give any Bestätigung1
 (although it happens that I
can), and let a German translation go hang. In any case I should object strongly to any such
declaration appearing in print. I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as
necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends, and should regret giving any colour to the
notion that I subscribed to the wholly pernicious and unscientific race-doctrine.
You are primarily concerned, and I cannot jeopardize the chance of a German publication
without your approval. So I submit two drafts of possible answers."

Letter 30 To Rütten & Loening Verlag
[One of the 'two drafts' mentioned by Tolkien in the previous letter. This is the only one preserved in the
Allen & Unwin files, and it seems therefore very probable that the English publishers sent the other one to
Germany. It is clear that in that letter Tolkien refused to make any declaration of 'arisch' origin.]
"25 July 1938 20 Northmoor Road, Oxford
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for your letter. .... I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am
not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke
Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring
whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that
gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from
Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject –
which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with
pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in
the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries
of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a
German name will no longer be a source of pride.
Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that
this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it
has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its suitability for publication, of which
you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.
I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and
remain yours faithfully
J. R. R. Tolkien."

I find this answer is very awesome.

Edited by Jenskott, 22 July 2014 - 09:00 AM.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#2 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

If JRR Tolkien were alive today, facing certain criticisms of his work (that his portrayal of the dwarves PROVES he was an anti-semite, for example, or the inability of LotR to pass the Beschdel test PROVES he was sexist), I have a fun time imagining how he would respond.

I love the Fantasy genre.  I even write and publish novels of my own in the fantasy genre (one book out in January, another coming out... uh, in about a week, assuming I stay on the latest revised schedule),  I like to think my writing talents are in both worldbuilding and storytelling, but I know I'm average at best in wordsmithing and even a little weak in creating distinct "character voices" in dialog.  But Tolkien was a master in all of those aspects (well... his storytelling sometimes got overtaken by his worldbuilding, which is why Tom Bombadil seems so out of place to the average reader, and, as was said about the Peter Jackson's films, if someone made a truly accurate-to-the-book movie version of the Lord of the Rings it would be ten times as long and it would be a musical).  There are few writers who can hold a candle to him.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#3 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

If JRR Tolkien were alive today, facing certain criticisms of his work (that his portrayal of the dwarves PROVES he was an anti-semite, for example, or the inability of LotR to pass the Beschdel test PROVES he was sexist), I have a fun time imagining how he would respond.

Reminds me of this comic 

Comic

JLHza2T.png

#4 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:38 AM

THIS THREAD IS DEAD. WHAT HAPPENED.

TOLKIEN IS TOO COOL FOR THIS TO HAPPEN.