• Please log in to reply
2508 replies to this topic

#1681 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

A great and yet tragic NarutoxSakura fanfic.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#1682 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Gnosismaster @ Jan 29 2012, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good story. Do you know if he's contiuning it?

Not sure, but we can only hope.
End of line.

#1683 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE (The Notorious L.I.D. @ Jan 30 2012, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At first, I thought that fic was written so poorly because the author was german and trying to write in English.

That was, until I got to the line "Suddenly Vegeta"

And now, I'm not so sure.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#1684 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jan 30 2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At first, I thought that fic was written so poorly because the author was german and trying to write in English.

That was, until I got to the line "Suddenly Vegeta"

And now, I'm not so sure.

I don't know WHAT you're talking about. I could tell from the first line that it was simply the most beautiful NaruSaku fanfic I've ever read.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#1685 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (The Notorious L.I.D. @ Jan 30 2012, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that definitely made my night especially the suddenly Vegeta line. tongue.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#1686 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

I don't think this story has been recommended here (I've looked and did not find it).

http://www.fanfictio...lors_of_a_Heart

I really like it - it's definitely worth the read.

#1687 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Jan 30 2012, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ciardha, Codus N, and TheOmegaMan:

Drop it and cool off, all of you. Just agree to disagree, there is no need for an escalating argument. Ciardha, I'm disappointed that you have made a personal attack, I expect more maturity.

Thank you all. Now, let's get this thread back on track.

Smiter that wasn't a personal attack, it was turning Omega and Codus's long term behavior toward me on this forum that sure does have the whiff of cyber stalking/harassing to me- with near constant personal attacks on me (which you didn't address at all), into something humorous instead of something nasty. (No one else was stepping in to stop the harassment so it was a humorous effort by me to stop it.) Catsi, being female got it. I even made a deliberate point to turn my humorous statement directly to what Kishimoto has made a theme in Naruto. What Omega and Codus are doing is something quite unpleasant that almost any women could tell you stories of that kind of stalking/harassment online. Trust me, that was a mature and coolheaded reaction to hostile cyber stalking/harassment. (And Smiter, if a woman says she feels like she's being cyber stalked/harassed by someone she means it. It takes a lot for a woman like me to say she feels like she's being cyber stalked/harassed- it's disempowering.) I was trying to end the harassment in a lighthearted way, and not make a public thing on the seriousness of the situation. Your misunderstanding of what I was attempting to do- end a harassment situation in a lighthearted way, put me in a uncomfortable situation where I had to spell out publicly on this forum what has been an emotional painful experience that I just wanted to stop.

Oh and Leo, the guys I dated have had personalities quite similar to Minato's (and my male best friend of many years does too), so yeah, men who have that kind of personalities do indeed exist.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#1688 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

@smiter, ciardha, et. al. - Ciardha, I'm glad you noted back. This has bothered me since it was posted: I was offended by smiter's post because s/he singled you out. When, in fact, your beginning posts were about Naruto, not antagonizing or offending or directed at anyone. My opinion is if they go after you, then you're fair game to go after them. And yeah, I thought your final post was joking punctuation to this. Nothing more. But smiter, to single out one party in a reprimand who's defending herself without putting the blame where it's due is badly done. It smacks of the very thing your telling her off about. Everyone needs to be more mature, not just one.

I think we should all leave out the personal stuff and keep the focus on Naruto. There's enough whack-a-doo stuff in there to keep us busy till next year.

Also, back on topic, "A Voice in the Wind" will be out soooooon.... My new year's resolution was to have a chapter a month up this year, but seeing as I'm going to be insanely busy today. I think I'm already go to be breaking it!

However, there is a lengthy preview of the chapter at swirlingpetals.com

edit: fixed link. duh.

Edited by tricksie, 31 January 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#1689 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

From my perspective, all three were at fault and Smiter's post was justified. CodusN may have started it, but Ciardha didn't have to add fuel to the fire because it did get personal. If Ciardha felt like the Codus and TheOmegaMan were harassing her, then instead of taking the actions she did, she should have gone to one of the admins. Let them handle it. It doesn't help the forums or the argument when you blast another persons age and maturity. Even if the last post about being their internet 'Mom' was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, it was uncalled for. Codus and TheOmegaMan shouldn't have made the attacks personal in the first place. If they disagree with your point-of-view, that's fine, but they voiced their disagreement in a poor way.

Smiter probably called Ciardha out because she is the more senior and older member. The bar is set a bit higher for her. She had a role where other newer and younger members will look up to her. If she handles a situation poorly, then it reflects poorly on the board. Imagine if you caught Smiter or any of the more senior members resorting to the same antics. It would encourage bad behavior.

If this sort of thing happened in a school, an office, or a work environment, all three would be repremanded. Because it doesn't matter who started it, it all in who got involved and how far it escalated.

We can all agree that we have differing opinions on characterization, but we also have to respect that. I may not like all of the stories that are recommended here, but that doesn't mean I'm going to rip them apart. And if someone rips apart a story I do like, that doesn't mean I'm going to personally attack them. We all have different tastes and ideas about the characters. If we didn't, this forum would be completely boring and there really wouldn't be any need to have Naruto fanfiction if you can't have different interpretations of the series.

Just my two cents.
End of line.

#1690 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

This thread is getting derailed again.

If people have issues with how this was handled you can PM Smiter or any of the other mods directly and we will be happy to discuss it with anyone who wants to talk to us about it.

#1691 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jan 31 2012, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@smiter, ciardha, et. al. - Ciardha, I'm glad you noted back. This has bothered me since it was posted: I was offended by smiter's post because s/he singled you out. When, in fact, your beginning posts were about Naruto, not antagonizing or offending or directed at anyone. My opinion is if they go after you, then you're fair game to go after them. And yeah, I thought your final post was joking punctuation to this. Nothing more. But smiter, to single out one party in a reprimand who's defending herself without putting the blame where it's due is badly done. It smacks of the very thing your telling her off about. Everyone needs to be more mature, not just one.

I think we should all leave out the personal stuff and keep the focus on Naruto. There's enough whack-a-doo stuff in there to keep us busy till next year.

Also, back on topic, "A Voice in the Wind" will be out soooooon.... My new year's resolution was to have a chapter a month up this year, but seeing as I'm going to be insanely busy today. I think I'm already go to be breaking it!

However, there is a lengthy preview of the chapter at swirlingpetals.com

edit: fixed link. duh.

Thanks. I'm not generally drawn in by AU's but yours does catch my interest. One thing I'm curious about is what happened differently to Itachi in your world to turn him totally against Konoha? Kishimoto set up the first hint that Itachi still had an attachment to Konoha when he firmly tells Kisame no fighting (and mysteriously hangs out at a dango shop in Konoha briefly) in part 1. (that's the only hint in part 1 though, other than the almost fond greeting he gives Kurenai (especially) and Asuma, and his respectful attitude toward Guy and later Jiraiya. The scary brutal Itachi toward Kakashi and Sasuke effectively disguises this though. I've kind of got the impression Danzo had much more overt power in your AU. I could see that killing Itachi's bond to Konoha.

Edited by ciardha, 31 January 2012 - 04:17 PM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#1692 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

http://www.fanfictio...ost_in_the_Rain

Good long story

#1693 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 31 2012, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. I'm not generally drawn in by AU's but yours does catch my interest. One thing I'm curious about is what happened differently to Itachi in your world to turn him totally against Konoha? Kishimoto set up the first hint that Itachi still had an attachment to Konoha when he firmly tells Kisame no fighting (and mysteriously hangs out at a dango shop in Konoha briefly) in part 1. (that's the only hint in part 1 though, other than the almost fond greeting he gives Kurenai (especially) and Asuma, and his respectful attitude toward Guy and later Jiraiya. The scary brutal Itachi toward Kakashi and Sasuke effectively disguises this though. I've kind of got the impression Danzo had much more overt power in your AU. I could see that killing Itachi's bond to Konoha.

Itachi is such a Janus role in the manga, and most people absolve him of his bad deeds because of his good motive. But I have a hard time separating the killer from the peacelover. It's a shame his character is just so surface level because his personality and motives are quit complex. (Kind of like Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment with it's teetering balance between criminal and charitable acts from a single character.)

About the fic.... --Click here to view--
So the Itachi I'm writing about is the one he was when he was alive. The motiveless killer. Not the peacelover we see in Madara's flashback-explanation. I'm writing about the Itachi that he worked so hard to portray. The terrifying assassin that he became through his actions.

But since I'm writing a fanfic, and an AU one at that, I have to give him some motives. And one of the themes of the AU is the what-if. What if Itachi really was a villainous villain? (Not a half-hearted one.) Would he have waited till Naruto was older and well-defended to return for the "Fourth's legacy?" No. He'd have gotten him while the getting was good.

Utlimately, in my fic, Itachi's motives are power. Why did his father warn young Sasuke against him in the manga? Ostensibly because he was too powerful. So the curtailing of his power and quest for more could easily be driving forces in the Itachi he presented himself to be in real life.

So, it's like an imagining of Itachi without his postmortem redemption story.

There are lots of parallels in the manga, like how Naruto could have easily been Gaara. Well, Itachi could have easily been Madara, and he presented himself as such in life. And Sasuke's firmly headed in that direction. So this fully explores the darker nature of Itachi's character.

And, right in line with the parallels, Danzo is also a Janus role, doing dark things for a greater good. Basically brainwashing orphaned children into a shinobi life.... And all under the blessing of Konoha's rulers. Yikes! As well as all his other hidden agenda stuff. (It's a miracle he didn't get a hold of Naruto in the manga. I'm surprised there's not more fics about this.... hmmm....) So, I'm writing Danzo as a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing role. Which he is.

Basically, power and control is a big motivator on both sides of the good-guys/bad-guys line. In my fic, one of Naruto's biggest challenges will be discerning who are his friends and who are his enemies, within Itachi's camp as well as within Konoha's walls. He is the most powerful player on the board, although he doesn't yet realize it. And he has to decide if he is going to be used as a weapon or battle past those forces to control his own fate.

I would say, this fic is definitely in the land of AU, even though it's in the same time/space as the current manga. Itachi's villainous, Sasuke doesn't defect, Naruto joins Akatsuki and....

*whispers* superspoiler.... --Click here to view--
Sakura even turns her back on being a medic for a while. Again, exploring some of the barely touched themes of the manga, Sakura handles her grief in the same way Tsunade did, by turning away from her true nature/calling for a while. But part of Sakura's development will be making her way back and remembering who she is.
I'm interested in deepening the motivations for the characters and seeing how far I can take them within the world of the manga and still keep them as themselves, as likeable and as believeable. I'm also interested in letting the characters feel a range of emotions they aren't often shown with in the manga: Sasuke doesn't have jealousy sink its claws in at an early age, has more time in Konoha and is allowed to experience some more mature bonds; Sakura is allowed to really hate some aspects of her life; and Naruto is allowed to journey toward revenge.

But in the end, each is true to their own character and finds their way back to their right path.

I should also tell you thankyou - I've had a ridiculously busy week, and thinking about your question and Itachi's motivations, mainly his janus role, has pushed me to some character break throughs for my nanowrimo project. It's been languishing since Dec. 1. So maybe this will spark me writing on it again. That and free time! wink.gif

#1694 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Janus type character is a good description of Itachi. You can take him the direction you are doing in your AU or follow a characterization path of the tragic and psychologically shattered secret hero Kishimoto reveals him to be after his death and not be out of character either way. In part 1 Kishimoto does build in hints of what is revealed in part 2 after his death, but on the other hand there are his brutal actions toward his brother and Kakashi that shows a rather dark character. Kishimoto also strongly hints that the more they access the Uchiha clan abilities the more it seems to make their mental state unstable- especially Susanoo.

Edited by ciardha, 02 February 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#1695 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Feb 2 2012, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Janus type character is a good description of Itachi. You can take him the direction you are doing in your AU or follow a characterization path of the tragic and psychologically shattered secret hero Kishimoto reveals him to be after his death and not be out of character either way. In part 1 Kishimoto does build in hints of what is revealed in part 2 after his death, but on the other hand there are his brutal actions toward his brother and Kakashi that shows a rather dark character. Kishimoto also strongly hints that the more they access the Uchiha clan abilities the more it seems to make their mental state unstable- especially Susanoo.

That's the part I'm tapping into. If you read Itachi as a scary murderer, he's pretty damn scary. Because for the first half of the manga he's motiveless. He's just a loose cannon. Was he mad at the clan? Did he want their power for himself? Does he want Naruto for his power? And will he wipe out Sasuke at some later time? All those unkowns make for a really good villain.

And if you think about it that he wiped out the Uchihas for their inherent power and greed, then it's not a far stretch to think that he was somehow tainted too. So I'm using those aspects as the basis of his character in my fic: What if he was really tainted? What if he was still motiveless, even quite far on into the plot? What if he'd go to great lengths to attain his personal goals, just as he went to great lengths to purify his clan?

Yeah...I'm fairly sure Itachi's not going to get the post-mortem redemption in my fic that he got in the manga. Simply because there will be no one to give it. In the manga it worked because Sasuke was there to listen and had the need to be told. But in my fic the need won't be as urgent and the listener won't be there.

However, I will be trying my hardest to write Itachi in an ambiguous enough way that if the reader wants to believe that Itachi was a hidden crusader then s/he can do that. Does that make sense? I'm going to try to obscure his motives just enough, make him manipulative enough, shady enough, slippery enough that the reader could see him doing anything. He won't be like Orochimaru or Madara, who were very outwardly on the dark side. Itachi, above all things, will be cagey. He'll be on his own side. And my hope is that if a reader, in the end wants to look for ways Itachi could have been super-super-super-secretly support Konoha, then they will find places that might support their beliefs.

Minato/Kushina fic rec:
While everyone is riding high on the anime Min/Kush love fest, I thought I'd recommend a M/K fic I read recently that I thought was really good: The Girl from Whirlpool. It's incomplete, but what's there is quite long and still an enjoyable read.

Edited by tricksie, 02 February 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#1696 Hak

Hak

Turmion kätilö

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

Shadow2700 has updated Finding inner strength with chapter 29!
Trust me, I'm an engineer!

#1697 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Ramen Renegade has come up with a new story:

Chronicles of the Seventh: The Wedding

Very hilarious and enjoyable story. Though it warms up pretty slow. I'd say a must read if you like such genre smile.gif

Edited by Namaenash, 05 February 2012 - 11:36 AM.

http://namaenasuyou.tumblr.com/     ||     https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6308104/

"I'm sorry I didn't believe. But I'd given up believing in so much, until I met you. From the first day I saw you, you were everything I ever wanted to believe in. You can do this, Diana. I know you can...But I have to go."

"What? What are you saying?"

"It's okay, this is what I came here to do. I can save today, but you... you can save the world."

#1698 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Namaenash @ Feb 5 2012, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ramen Renegade has come up with a new story:

Chronicles of the Seventh: The Wedding

Very hilarious and enjoyable story. Though it warms up pretty slow. I'd say a must read if you like such genre smile.gif

Read it sounds promising. smile.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#1699 pharix

pharix

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Feb 5 2012, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read it sounds promising. smile.gif

I think it's a one shot o.o

#1700 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

A voice in the wind by tricksie has been updated with chapter 29 http://www.fanfictio...t/s/5827210/29/
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users