#1 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

I'm starting a feature on the differences and similarities on Japanese animation and Western animation for Journalism class, and since everyone here's seen a bunch of both, I'd like to get your ideas....

#2 Yondaime's Son

Yondaime's Son

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Well just off the top of my head, if you have Starz I highly reccomend "Anime: Drawing of a Revolution" as it does alot of highlighting of the primary differences - Style of Animation, Themes, Mature Content, and influences both from and on each other.
"Come with me in the twilight of a summer night for a while. Tell me of a story never ever told in the past. Take me back to the land where my yearnings were born. The key to open the door is in your heart, now take me there... to the land of twilight..." ~"Key of the Twilight", .hack//SIGN

#3 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

lol, for English 101 in college I used this for a paper. If I still had it, I would send it to you. As long as you use the correct format, the subject doesn't really matter. Don't forget your sources.

#4 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

Similarities:
Many popular American cartoons are animated by Japanese studios (Sunrise worked on a lot of Warner Bros projects in the 90's) such as Batman the animated series, Teen Titans, Avatar (done by a Korean studio IIRC), Justice League, Thundercats, and a few others.

Share some similar themes and cultures influence one another. The Big O and Cowboy Bepbop were heavily influenced by Batman, Jazz music, NYC life, and numerous American movies. Avatar takes a lot from Asian folklore and mythology along with martial arts.

Differences:
Cartoons are usually seen as generally targeted for younger kids while anime has broader genres that appeals to a vast number of ages. Though "otakus" are frequently looked down upon in Japanese society.

Art styles in American cartoons tend to be consistent and vary little in variety, while Japanese Studios (especially the like of SHAFT and Madhouse) look to differentiate and have a liberal use of animation style that separates from other series.

Cartoons are usually original based creations while many animes tend to be adaptions of manga, light novels, books, and other pieces of literature.

#5 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:23 AM

Cool guys, looking to that paper, Whirly. I won't copy it verbatim, but I might borrow your ideas.....

#6 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:06 AM

What I like best about anime is the connective structure. Anime to me represents what the power of the mini-series was back in the olden days of American.

Many cartoons are set within a specific time frame that has no true beginning or end. I love 'The Simpsons' but it is an example of it. Bart and Lisa have been in the same grade for the last twenty years with episodic adventures and misadventures. Their personalities neither change or evolve over time. Their personalities and moods changes are intraepisodic (within the episode) and not interepisodic. This allows syndication to occur naturally. Syndication allows a show to reair without much prior knowledge to the preceding episodes as episodes can exists as individual entities. I know what episodes aired chronologically in the timeline of the 'The Simpsons' but I don't really need to as it doesn't particularly influence my understanding of the show I'm watching.

Many anime can't not be taken apart to be syndicated but rather have to reshown in their entirety in their correct chronological order.

Edited by roninmedia, 18 October 2009 - 03:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users