Close
Photo

Boku No Hero Academia is the antithesis to Naruto and that's a good thing!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

Just about caught up on the manga. Decided I'd comment.

And man, this series basically feels like the author read Naruto and said to himself "Man, this series has a lot of untapped potential, but never delivers. Time to fix that." Everything Naruto gets wrong, this series gets right. 

- Deku, the main characters, remains consistent, likeable and relatable (whereas Naruto himself nosedived as a character after the first timeskip). What's more, he always uses his head and has yet to win a battle thanks to asspull  (Sage of Six Paths mode anyone?). Even though him and Bakugou have somewhat of love/hate relationship, I don't even see him becoming obsessed with Bakugou the way Naruto was obsessed with Sasuke and see him sticking to his goals. Nor does it look like he's ever going to give up on his dream.

-Bakugou is pretty much a symbol of every way Sasuke could've been an amazing character. Even though the dude is talented, he has zero gary stu qualities and his character progression has remained logical (best shown when he turned down the League of villains offer to join them with zero hesitation. And somehow, despite being a complete *******, you don't mind rooting for him. THIS is how you do a rival character.

- Uraraka is pretty much a symbol of every way Sakura and/or Hinata could've been compelling characters. Yes, she is in love with Deku (something I didn't care for at the beginning given my distaste Hinata and even Sakura as of the last third of the series), but as the manga progressed, I found an actual three dimensional character in Uraraka as opposed to her Naruto counterparts. She is not obsessed with Deku and has her own thoughts/aspirations which we consistently see. What's more, she's mentally willing to put her feelings for Deku aside in order for her own growth. Last but not least, she's actually useful and actually contributes to the plot. Very well written character.

-Even though Deku is the main character, the entirety of class 1-A matters and gets consistently development (I love Fumikage by the way!). Naruto tried doing this prior to the first timeskip, but after that, outside of filler, the side character roles fell flat and artificial. This is good writing and thanks to Deku's knack for teamwork and strategy, I feel that all of the characters in class 1-A will always contribute to the plot.

-All Might is AWESOME. He's basically Might Gai done right and with actual and constant plot significance. 

-The story arcs are surprisingly deep and sometimes. I initially dismissed Stain as being a lame one-note villain of the week villain. Yet somehow, despite being defeated, he has had a drastic impact on the league of villains and the influence they have on the world. And the way the hero culture is called into question is actually pretty realistic in terms of how it'd operate if heroes and villains were real.

-My only qualm with the series thus far is the villain, Shigaraki. He SUCKS. He is awful. Don't get me wrong. It took me a while, but I gathered that he is basically the anti-Deku (in a learning process of becoming a true villain) and that he is kind of intentionally crappy thus far, but he SUCKS so bad to the point of annoyance. Again, I know it's intentional, so probably just a small qualm.

All in all, am looking forward to how this manga progresses! :)

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

#2 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

Glad you enjoy it!!! It REALLY is my replacement for Naruto *throws up* for ALL  those reasons and more. On Uraraka, I see ALL that you have said, I'm just disappointed she hasn't  been given more screen time yet although truth be told, her aspiration while heartwarming and sweet don't need much elaboration upon, but she needs to interact with her parents more for some more emotion impact :yes: and she shows to care about others and have friends on her mind besides Izuku too and isn't all "Deku-kun, Deku-kun!!!!!!"   :zaru:

Edited by Phantom_999, 03 July 2017 - 09:59 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#3 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:45 AM

One Punch Man is basically the anti-thesis to all Shonen stereotypes, but I do agree with you.

Then again, though, a lot of anime series can be seen as the Anti-thesis to Naruto at this point because Naruto was reduced to being a cow. 

When you have a writer...or even a studio...care more about money or ridiculous self-insert fan fictions...you know something is wrong,

Edited by James S Cassidy, 08 July 2017 - 04:59 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#4 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

By the Way have you finished season 1 yet?

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#5 Shashank95

Shashank95

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, writing and reading. Love playing sports, especially Basketball, futbol and Table Tennis.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:27 AM

Yo, BNHA is sooooo good. All the characters are well developed, no deus ex machina, no fawning and no random power creep. Has the potential to be one of the best Shounen of all times!

tumblr_inline_okp5x4EZXE1u7313d_540.png

#6 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Majority of characters are greatly writen in BnHA, but manga itself is barely getting intrest while reading. I mean it's written with very deep thinking behind it, and author really works with plot lines. But execution is a bit off? Or not to my taste (actually people I talk too think along same lines). 

And it probably has same problem as One Piece, you need to read whole arc alltogether to appreciate it's appeal.

And I'll be that one guy to say that it's more of an anti-thesis to Bleach more than Kishimoto's pile of unresolved plots.

#7 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

Majority of characters are greatly writen in BnHA, but manga itself is barely getting intrest while reading. I mean it's written with very deep thinking behind it, and author really works with plot lines. But execution is a bit off? Or not to my taste (actually people I talk too think along same lines). 

And it probably has same problem as One Piece, you need to read whole arc alltogether to appreciate it's appeal.

And I'll be that one guy to say that it's more of an anti-thesis to Bleach more than Kishimoto's pile of unresolved plots.

I know what you mean. It is weird. I cant find the answer to why is that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users