Close
Photo

Interfaith Dialogue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your religion? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

if you don't want to vote,no prob

1. Christian (16 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

2. Muslim (4 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. Jewish (3 votes [6.52%])

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

4. Catholic (8 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

5. Buddhist (1 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

6. Hindu (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Others... (14 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

Vote

#61 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Dec 14 2008, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And out of everything here, in my opinion, Sakura Blossoms makes the most sense.

Thanks. I'm glad that you think so happy.gif

#62 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Judging by the poll, I am the only Buddhist here...

xD

#63 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Dec 15 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Judging by the poll, I am the only Buddhist here...

xD

I've been curious about this ever since you first mentioned it. Did you choose Buddhism as a religion? Like is it your family's chosen religion, or was it a choice that you made for yourself at such a young age?

#64 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Dec 15 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been curious about this ever since you first mentioned it. Did you choose Buddhism as a religion? Like is it your family's chosen religion, or was it a choice that you made for yourself at such a young age?

I made that choice. My family has no real religion, but we do get married in churches. I decided that I was mature enough to pick my religion, so I picked the one that soothed me most. Buddhism. ^-^

#65 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Dec 15 2008, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made that choice. My family has no real religion, but we do get married in churches. I decided that I was mature enough to pick my religion, so I picked the one that soothed me most. Buddhism. ^-^

That's really cool happy.gif

#66 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Dec 15 2008, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's really cool happy.gif

Yeah. The meditations are nearly the only thing that work for my high blood pressure. I've gone into high bad cholesterol. Again.

I'll probably visit a Buddhist temple for some meditation. happy.gif

Edited by Kamina-Yoshi, 15 December 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#67 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

just curious, but what is the difference between Buddhism and Hinduism, well besides Buddha
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#68 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Dec 15 2008, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. The meditations are nearly the only thing that work for my high blood pressure. I've gone into high bad cholesterol. Again.

I'll probably visit a Buddhist temple for some meditation. happy.gif

Dude, aren't you a bit young to be experiencing high blood pressure XD
Stay away from those politics 8D

#69 creak

creak

Lurker

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:philosophy, indie rock, cigerettes, and coffee

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

i would probably consider myself a liberal christian.

there are many things we can't know about God, the afterlife, scripture, etc. those things are conceptions beyond the scope of human rationality.
however, what we can know is how to live our lives, right now. i follow Jesus not because i know for a fact that he is the son of God, but because
he is an example of what authentic human existence should be. other religions have examples as well such as Buddha, Muhammad, etc.
"I feel as if I were a piece in a game of chess, when my opponent says of it: That piece cannot be moved." Søren Kierkegaard

#70 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Dec 15 2008, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude, aren't you a bit young to be experiencing high blood pressure XD
Stay away from those politics 8D

When they say 'never too young', they mean it xD

A few months too late, Shauna. xD Thanks for the late advice, though xP

#71 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:20 AM

Very religous Muslim. I have a friend who's aethiest, and (as a joke, not to offend any aethiests here), if you don't believe in god, how come you always so "OMG/ OH MY GOD". lulz...

I pray 5 times a day, read my religous book (the Quran), fast for a month, believe in god, but I haven't migrated to Mecca yet (btw, those were the 5 pillars of Islam, Praying/ Reading, Believing, Fasting, Donating to the Poor, and Hajj (the migrating)

Edited by Auni, 16 December 2008 - 01:25 AM.

. Don't Press the red button

#72 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:54 AM

Do you understand the scale of abuse, disrespect, hate, and anger females have had to endure over the centuries because of this story?

Don't forget race. It was the official policy of the church back then to believe anyone associated with dark skin, or lived in nautre were considered inferior, and the Europeans believed because they had light skin and controlled as opposed to live with nature they were entitled to some manifest destiny. Oddly enough, the Irish, Italians, and several other European nationalities were not included in this.

And the Mormons had some pretty messed up preachings about blacks. I won't say anything more, because it will just be me bashing the mormons, and I'm sorry, but I just cannot talk about the Mormons with any clear respect.

just curious, but what is the difference between Buddhism and Hinduism, well besides Buddha

Buddhism evolved from Hinduism, so that's why you see the similarities between the two. Buddhism was initially intended to be a philosophy, and you can actually practice it with another religion; it's not meant to be contradictory to other religions.

(as a joke, not to offend any aethiests here), if you don't believe in god, how come you always so "OMG/ OH MY GOD". lulz...

Everyone else says it, and we can't think of anything better. laugh.gif

#73 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Auni @ Dec 16 2008, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(as a joke, not to offend any aethiests here), if you don't believe in god, how come you always so "OMG/ OH MY GOD". lulz...

we say OMG or Oh My God because it has been taught since we were a kid. it has no meaning whatsoever other than showing that we're shocked.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#74 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Auni @ Dec 16 2008, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very religous Muslim. I have a friend who's aethiest, and (as a joke, not to offend any aethiests here), if you don't believe in god, how come you always so "OMG/ OH MY GOD". lulz...

I pray 5 times a day, read my religous book (the Quran), fast for a month, believe in god, but I haven't migrated to Mecca yet (btw, those were the 5 pillars of Islam, Praying/ Reading, Believing, Fasting, Donating to the Poor, and Hajj (the migrating)

Y'know, I always forget those 5 pillars I can only remember about 3 of them at most (shame on me) sad.gif sleep.gif

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#75 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Dec 16 2008, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we say OMG or Oh My God because it has been taught since we were a kid. it has no meaning whatsoever other than showing that we're shocked.

Exactly right, for me anyway.

#76 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Hockey, Drawing (even though I suck something awful), Photography, Video Games, etc.

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Auni @ Dec 15 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, pretty much just force of habit, expresses surprise, as BL said. I also think the phrase is more efficient than "My Gosh!" or "Oh my Goodness!", so I'll continue to use it, at least for a while. laugh.gif

#77 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

Strange. I say "holy" and, well... Eff and 'S', if you catch my drift. Wink wink, nod nod.

#78 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

More emphasis on Buddhism and Hinduism, courtesy of World History -ahem ahem-

While Buddhism came from Hinduism, Buddhism doesn't have a caste system at all, and women are allowed to be nuns too. They both include the concept of reincarnation and karma, but Buddhism is indeed more of a philosophy but it focuses more on getting out of our current state of being and achieving nirvana or eternal bliss (feel free to say I'm wrong by the way) while Hinduism focuses on going through each caste system (going up of course) until we are free of the system. Buddhism was started by an Indian prince named Siddharta Gautama who says that life is suffering and that by freeing ourselves of material needs is the key to happiness and nirvana, while Hinduism has no clear origin due to it being a blending of different ancient religions and cultures. Anyway, hopefully what I said is at least partially accurate, forgive me if it's not

#79 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

I just thought this was rather appropriate, you only have to watch the first 1/3rd of the Colbert Report. smile.gif

http://www.comedycen...pisodeId=213774

#80 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Dec 18 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just thought this was rather appropriate, you only have to watch the first 1/3rd of the Colbert Report. smile.gif

http://www.comedycen...pisodeId=213774

Am I the only person who think his jokes about Atheist and god was NOT funny?

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users