ATT: to all gamers and video uploaders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:26 PM

On facebook, one of my friends mentioned Congress is in progress of passing a bill called S.978 that will stop streaming movies, music and video games in stream websites, such as Youtube. Not immediately but if passes, watching a streaming movie or a walk/playthrough video of a video game for more 10 times will likely have you either pay a fine or sent to jail for 5 years...

Shoryuken.com have the very descriptive details on what the bill is all about: http://shoryuken.com...-by-ultradavid/

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#2 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

If they pass this before fixing the debt I think we should revolt. Congress is too beside itself to do anything but sit around and whine right now to get votes for 2012.

Edited by Insurrection, 03 July 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#3 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

About movies and music, I can understand, but games?? That's bullsh*t, people watch gameplay videos just to see if it's worth buying, or maybe clear doubts about an part they are having an hard time, but nobody is going to stop buying games after watching an walkthrough video!

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#4 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

America is honestly starting to make me really angry.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#5 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

Paying to watch gameplays or enjoy some music? Okay, now this starts to piss me off... I can use torrents for music or movies, but where will we find gameplays or walkthroughs and such? =[

#6 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (Black Rose @ Jul 4 2011, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paying to watch gameplays or enjoy some music? Okay, now this starts to piss me off... I can use torrents for music or movies, but where will we find gameplays or walkthroughs and such? =[

Well, I can understand when it comes to music, after all, you are supposed to buy it in order to hear it, but if you use youtube every time you want to listen some piece, the developers lose money. The main issue is pretty much about games in the end.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#7 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ Jul 4 2011, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I can understand when it comes to music, after all, you are supposed to buy it in order to hear it, but if you use youtube every time you want to listen some piece, the developers lose money. The main issue is pretty much about games in the end.

Well, yeah this is the main topic. Finding music is a piece of cake nowadays. But paying for gameplays... now this IS disturbing.

#8 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

THIS quote affirms my beliefs that the GOP is full of jackasses.
I think a good chunk of what this is about is just the old guard not understanding what’s happening nowadays. Technology like free, instant, and relatively simple mass streaming or uploading by anyone to infinite viewers all over the world is just… really new. And I think the entertainment industry has no idea how to approach that, so instead of taking advantage of it themselves, they’d rather make sure everyone else has a hard time coming in instead.

We all know what the GOP is full of: Conservatives, Pro-Companies, Sitting Ducks, etc....

and whaddya' know, they're the one in control of Congress now. I very much agree with the statement above, they're just trying to make the companies happy and try to find ways to exploit us to no end.

Music, I can understand, but THIS?? UNBELIEVABLE. If the one (moron) who proposed this was indeed from the GOP, I will not be surprised.

And another thing, do they have any idea how this actually is the total opposite of freedom of information???

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#9 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

A Revolution is Coming

Seriously...the Internet is the enemy of tyranny. Is so much bs...we all pay for Internet service.

Edited by Strangelove, 04 July 2011 - 04:19 PM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#10 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Complete and utter bullish*t. I hope that they don't count videos made before the bill is passed; otherwise, I'll be going to jail or juvy for a damn long time.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#11 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

Even in the unlikely event that this were to pass, all a game company would have to do is basically just give permission (probably in a Terms of Agreement) to allow people to watch/upload gameplay videos.

From what I understand this bill is basically an amendment to an already existing bill to stop music and movies from being streamed across the web, I don't think it will affect video game streaming in any way.

Edited by Kyuudaime, 04 July 2011 - 05:26 PM.

#12 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 4 2011, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We all know what the GOP is full of: Conservatives, Pro-Companies, Sitting Ducks, etc....

and whaddya' know, they're the one in control of Congress now. I very much agree with the statement above, they're just trying to make the companies happy and try to find ways to exploit us to no end.

Music, I can understand, but THIS?? UNBELIEVABLE. If the one (moron) who proposed this was indeed from the GOP, I will not be surprised.

The blame game is a little bit hypocritical. The fact of the matter is both political parties in the U.S. are full of jackasses. A few years ago, (then) Sen. Hilary Clinton, who is currently the Secretary of State in the Democratic Obama Administration, tried to push legislation on a bill that would ban the sale of any video game with an ESRB rating above a "T". Both sides are a bunch of old prudes who just want to introduce new legislation to try distract everyone from the real problems in the world.

Also, the bolded part of your statment is wrong. You need to keep in mind that the GOP is currently in control of the House, while the Democratic Party is in control of the Senate. Trying to point fingers at conservatives and Republicans, which are not synonymous as many uninformed Americans seem to think, while treating the other side as harmless is an extremely irritating notion to me. As someone who is sick of both political parties in the U.S. system, I've grown really tired of seeing this sort of hypocrisy, on both sides.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 04 July 2011 - 05:24 PM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#13 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 4 2011, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The blame game is a little bit hypocritical. The fact of the matter is both political parties in the U.S. are full of jackasses. A few years ago, (then) Sen. Hilary Clinton, who is currently the Secretary of State in the Democratic Obama Administration, tried to push legislation on a bill that would ban the sale of any video game with an ESRB rating above a "T". Both sides are a bunch of old prudes who just want to introduce new legislation to try distract everyone from the real problems in the world.

Also, the bolded part of your statment is wrong. You need to keep in mind that the GOP is currently in control of the House, while the Democratic Party is in control of the Senate. Trying to point fingers at conservatives and Republicans, which are not synonymous as many uninformed Americans seem to think, while treating the other side as harmless is an extremely irritating notion to me. As someone who is sick of both political parties in the U.S. system, I've grown really tired of seeing this sort of hypocrisy, on both sides.

Yeah that.

Edited by Strangelove, 04 July 2011 - 05:54 PM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#14 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

I can understand why they're doing this, but I don't think it would be very effective. It's my understanding that, if I, as a viewer, watch a streaming video more than 10 times, I would have to pay a fine or go to jail. I find that to be absurd on my part as a viewer. If anything I think the person who puts up the video should be punished, and simply have their account canceled. Besides, youtube already prevents viewers from outside certain countries from viewing certain properties. Video games, though? Most often it's to see what we do, people still actually want to play those games most of the time.

Besides, the root of the problem is that the economy is in a slump, and young people, who in my opinion are the major consumers of these things, are suffering in particular. Companies are going to somehow have to make their products more accessible overall.

#15 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

meh I dont think itll pass anyways. its overly broad and undefined and Jail time violates cruel and unusual punishment.

And even if it does the first time a 10 year old is sentenced to jail for a year for lip synching a performers song on you tube the outcry and embarrassment for the politicians will be beyond anything they can believe.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#16 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Jul 4 2011, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even in the unlikely event that this were to pass, all a game company would have to do is basically just give permission (probably in a Terms of Agreement) to allow people to watch/upload gameplay videos.

From what I understand this bill is basically an amendment to an already existing bill to stop music and movies from being streamed across the web, I don't think it will affect video game streaming in any way.

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 4 2011, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quoted for the truth! Seriously they've been doing this for a long time in the music industry, i have my doubts we'll see anything big happening to the game industry and as Boom pointed out both parties have made bizarre decisions and bills.

Edited by Dreamer, 04 July 2011 - 09:16 PM.

#17 The Tax-Man

The Tax-Man

Sapien Chronologia

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

facepalm.png 'Nuff said. I mean seriously, there's no way it'll work. Don't they have REAL problems to solve anyway?

naruto.gif

1. "This is worthless NONSENSE."
2. "This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view..."
3. "True, but quite unimportant."
4. "I ALWAYS SAID SO!"

#18 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 4 2011, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And another thing, do they have any idea how this actually is the total opposite of freedom of information???

It's full of conservatives....oh my God...how awful. Wouldn't want to be around one of those. rolleyes.gif

You know, do yourself a favor next time and do some research. You basically confess you have no idea where the bill came from, but blame in Republicans apparently on the basis that you think they suck and you think this bill sucks, therefore, it must have been from them.

The bill's sponsor is:

Amy Klobuchar a member of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Part; i.e. a Democrat. It's co-sponsors are Christopher Coons and John Cornyn. Coons is a Democrat from Delaware and Cornyn a Republican from Texas.

meh I dont think itll pass anyways. its overly broad and undefined and Jail time violates cruel and unusual punishment.

Don't count on it violating the eight Amendment and I don't see how it's over broad, at least, in the legal since. I don't know of a single case where a general range of punishment lie that and not involving life without parole or death being struck down as violating the Eight Amendment.

And even if it does the first time a 10 year old is sentenced to jail for a year for lip synching a performers song on you tube the outcry and embarrassment for the politicians will be beyond anything they can believe.

Given what I know about the US Attorney's Office, I'd be amazed if they took a case that small.

#19 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:11 AM

The bill's sponsor is:

Amy Klobuchar a member of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Part; i.e. a Democrat. It's co-sponsors are Christopher Coons and John Cornyn. Coons is a Democrat from Delaware and Cornyn a Republican from Texas.

LOL, somehow I'm not surprised a senator from my home-state was behind this mess. What with the current MN government shutdown caused by a feud between our idiot Governor and idiot Congress, and this insane bill, I'm starting to wonder if Minnesota is just a laughing stock in the political community. California may have elected an actor as governor, but that hardly compares to us electing a former wrestler.

But this does support my notion on how pointless it is to point fingers, considering that both Democratic and Republican politicians are involved in this bill. LOL, when it comes to absurd legislation like this, you can always count on Republicans and Democrats to put aside their differences and work together!

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#20 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 5 2011, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, somehow I'm not surprised a senator from my home-state was behind this mess. What with the current MN government shutdown caused by a feud between our idiot Governor and idiot Congress, and this insane bill, I'm starting to wonder if Minnesota is just a laughing stock in the political community. California may have elected an actor as governor, but that hardly compares to us electing a former wrestler.

But this does support my notion on how pointless it is to point fingers, considering that both Democratic and Republican politicians are involved in this bill. LOL, when it comes to absurd legislation like this, you can always count on Republicans and Democrats to put aside their differences and work together!

You forgot the comedian is the junior senator btw.

Also Congress is so divided on party lines right now all Obama has to do is voice support and this bill dies or if republicans voice support for it it still dies because on section of the party disagrees. Welcome to the Legislative Branch!

Edited by Insurrection, 05 July 2011 - 05:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users