• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

I hope there wasn't a topic for this already, I couldn't find one at least.

The title is pretty self-explanatory -- what are some of your favorite manga or anime that you feel are underrated or generally underappreciated?

For me, Chrno Crusade; I love the manga so much, the characters, the story -- everything, but the fandom is like dead now. Makes me sad because it's really good and deserves more attention. :cry: Also, Pandora Hearts (manga) does not have the acknowledgement it truly deserves. It's gorgeous, read it.

And some underrated/underappreciated anime that I love; Mushishi (it's impossible to really explain it, you just have to watch it), Gosick, and Casshern Sins.

Feel free to add yours, and maybe bring some of those hidden gems out there to people's attention. :smile:  

Edit: could a mod please fix the error in the topic's title. I'm not even sure how that happened.

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 22 December 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#2 Princess Iris

Princess Iris

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

Oh thank you for this thread
I wanted to create one
& the first in list (atleast for me) is

Fantastic Children
It is story of young cheerful boy Thomas who meets with a girl Helga who always used to draw a strange tower & moon..

There were 5 mysterious kids known as Befort Children first spotted in 19th century &
after that in 2001
They were in search of someone
The anime has awesome storytelling
Tho the art isn't that appealing
I have not read its manga but I know it has two volumes

#3 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

Me, me, me... :woot:

Masterpieces underrated mangas: AZUMI and KOI DANO AI DANO.

Old underrate manga shounen (now, THIS IS A PEARL!!): USHIO TO TORA!! :wub:

New interesting manga shonen: SOUSEI NO ONMYOUJI (by Binbougami ga!'s author)!! :D

Masterpiece underrated manhua (no manga,sorry) CHANG GE XING or Song of the Long march (now, THIS IS A PRINCESS!! THIS IS AN INTELLIGENT GIRL!! THIS IS A LIONESS!!). :kukuku:

Masterpiece underrated anime: SEIREI NO MORIBITO (BALSAAA!!) !!! :wibble:

Edited by Niky, 22 December 2014 - 06:25 PM.

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

G. K. Chesterton

tumblr_o3tosabkSm1untbo7o4_r2_250.gif

Their first encounter...

#4 Win-chan

Win-chan

Eternal NaruSaku Warrior

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Music, Piano, Violin, Composing, Writing, Reading, Enneagram, Psychology, Ancient History

Favorite anime/manga: Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note

Favorite TV shows: Supernatural and Sherlock

Favorite ships: NARUSAKU!, MinaKushi, ShikaTema, IchiRuki, MustangxHawkeye, SayaxHaji

Favorite Naruto characters (in no particular order): Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato, Shikamaru, Sakura, Minato, Deidara, Gaara

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

Blood+! Actually, it might not be underrated. Maybe I just jumped onto the bandwagon late or something. But that's an AWESOME anime, and my ship actually sailed for once!

SHINACHIKU

tumblr_inline_ngnhtp3KQk1sy20ab.jpg

The strong-willed, intelligent and powerful yet loving, tender, and sensitive heartthrob of Konoha.

#5 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

Blood+! Actually, it might not be underrated. Maybe I just jumped onto the bandwagon late or something. But that's an AWESOME anime, and my ship actually sailed for once!

God, I forgot Blood+... :jawdrop:  Saya, Haji, Kai, Riku (tears...)...

Yes. A true great story, true great villains, true great final!! :spaz:

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

G. K. Chesterton

tumblr_o3tosabkSm1untbo7o4_r2_250.gif

Their first encounter...

#6 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

NG life.

A manga about a male soldier in Pompeii who died during the disaster and reborn in modern day Japan but he still has the memories of his past life. His wife was reborn as a guy but has no memories of the times in Pompeii. Hilarity and drama ensues. Great character development. I'm sad that it didn't get an anime adaption because its one of the best mangas I've read but practically no one knows about it.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#7 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:26 AM

Ravemaster got some love back when it aired on CN but not many know it exists now and completely skip to watch/read Fairy Tail.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#8 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

I have the feeling of most of classic, seminal manga and anime series are underrated by manga/anime fandom nowadays... Alright, not more "Kids these days" grumbling. On topic:

- Panzer World Galient - I hoped an average mecha show, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is pretty good, and I like how it blends medieval fantasy with sci-fi. It is difficult blending both genres sucessfully, but this show manages. And I like also how the big baddie is completely focused on his goal. He knows what he wants and he will not be distracted from his ambitious, far-reaching goals by petty concerns such like scheming generals or revenge against the hero.

- Invincible Superhuman Zambot-3 - Did you think that there was no dark, mind-screwing mecha series prior Evangelion? Watch this deconstruction of a show and you will no longer think that. It is DARK and very dramatic.

- Red Photon Zillion - This show is full with classic sci-fi anime tropes, but it is very entertaining. In the future, a Earth space colony is being raided by an unknown alien race. There is only one thing that can damage them: three weapons powered by a mysteirous substance called Zillion. An organization is created to fight the alien invaders, and the three guns are handed over to the Idiot Hero, the Tsundere and the Cool, Competent Rival.

Do not expect originality when you watch this anime. Expect action and entertainment. Anecdotically, Sega collaborated in the making of this anime, and they created a game based on it.

- Gunbuster - Gainax's best mecha show. I mean it.

"All of this is good and right, but Jenskott, can you suggest some show that is not older than me?"

Give me a minute...

Angel Densetsu - Written by the author of Claymore. I have only read a few chapters but this high school comedy manga is funny and the art is good. And it tells a lot about how we judged people according their looks. the main character is the nicest, kindest person ever, but his whole high school -including students, teachers...- are convinced that he is a dangerous, psychotic bully because his face is very scary. The best part is he has absolutely no idea of what people thinks about him. Hilarity ensues.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#9 Princess Iris

Princess Iris

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

God, I forgot Blood+... :jawdrop:  Saya, Haji, Kai, Riku (tears...)...
Yes. A true great story, true great villains, true great final!! :spaz:

oh man! I forgot blood+ too

#10 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

Me, me, me... :woot:

Masterpiece underrated anime: SEIREI NO MORIBITO (BALSAAA!!) !!! :wibble:

I have that one on my To Watch list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have the feeling of most of classic, seminal manga and anime series are underrated by manga/anime fandom nowadays... Alright, not more "Kids these days" grumbling. On topic:

- Panzer World Galient - I hoped an average mecha show, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is pretty good, and I like how it blends medieval fantasy with sci-fi. It is difficult blending both genres sucessfully, but this show manages. And I like also how the big baddie is completely focused on his goal. He knows what he wants and he will not be distracted from his ambitious, far-reaching goals by petty concerns such like scheming generals or revenge against the hero.

Looking at the summary, this sounds interesting. I think I will give it a shot, when I get a chance. :sweat:

#11 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

Uh, Amagi Brilliant Park. From the creator of Full Metal Panic. Although I am not too sure if it's popular now though. don't really check

Although you know what I find very Ironic. to the average fan of a series they complain when their series is not popular enough, then when the series actually becomes popular, they BASH it for being a sell out to the masses even though they said they want it to succeed and probably feel that they are not special anymore. It's called "it's popular now it sucks" on tvtropes. Here's the link.

[post='http://tvtropes.org/...pularNowItSucks'][/post]

Edited by Phantom_999, 29 December 2014 - 11:15 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#12 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

Uh, Amagi Brilliant Park. From the creator of Full Metal Panic. Although I am not too sure if it's popular now though. don't really check

Although you know what I find very Ironic. to the average fan of a series they complain when series is not popular enough, the when the series actually becomes popular, they BASH it for being a sell out to the masses even thought they said they want it to succeed and probably feel that they are not special anymore. It's called "it's popular now it sucks" on tvtropes. Here's the link.

That's true, though I admit I don't have any interest in the currently well-known and popular series like One Piece, Bleach or Fairy Tail. And that's why I wanted to make a thread for lesser known series, partially because I'm looking new stuff to interest me. :smile:

#13 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

Looking at the summary, this sounds interesting. I think I will give it a shot, when I get a chance. 

I hope that you like if/when you watch it! :)

That's true, though I admit I don't have any interest in the currently well-known and popular series like One Piece, Bleach or Fairy Tail. And that's why I wanted to make a thread for lesser known series, partially because I'm looking new stuff to interest me. 

I have also the "trouble" that many popular current series don't interest me at all. One of my solutions is checking older series. But I have also found that if you ignore the mainstream and look for more obscure series you can be pleasantly surprised. So yes, it is a good idea.

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#14 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

Probably because of what a CERTAIN SERIES did to us. -___-

Edited by Phantom_999, 29 December 2014 - 11:18 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#15 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:16 AM

Although you know what I find very Ironic. to the average fan of a series they complain when their series is not popular enough, then when the series actually becomes popular, they BASH it for being a sell out to the masses even though they said they want it to succeed and probably feel that they are not special anymore. It's called "it's popular now it sucks" on tvtropes. Here's the link.

That's elitism and I hate it.

#16 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

Probably because of what a CERTAIN SERIES did to us. -___-

This is partially true on my case.

There are other factors, though: back in the early 00's I hardly found new series that got my interest (around that time I started to read American comic-books... and I ultimately dropped them because I was sick of character derailment, pairings being developed and broken each time that the lead writer or editor changed, retcons... does it sound familiar?).

Then I started to read Naruto and Bleach because a friend that shared most of my tastes recommended them (back in 2004-2005)... and I eventually dropped Bleach because I got bored with it during the Mundo Hueco arc (YES, I have said Mundo Hueco. Non-Spanish-speakers would not know, but "Hueco Mundo" sounds awful and very forced). I kept in touch with Naruto, even when the storytelling's story seemed to be dropping... and then I got disappointed.

So that... I do not like most new series, and when I give a chance to some popular series, I get bored or burnt out. It is not encouraging, and it is one of the reasons that I have not checked Attack on the Titan, Kill La Kill, etcetera. I have become very distrustful regarding new series.

And since I can just read/watch another kind of series, knowing exactly what I will get (for example, I can watch Dirty Pair and get a good laughs out of the crazy sci-fi adventures of Kei and Yuri), I have not to run the risk of starting a new series and following it for a while -spending my hard-earned cash-, only for dropping it in disgust or boredom.

#17 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

@jenskot

not all mangaka is kishimoto, just like not all anime director is hayao miyazaki.

well I can understand you.

taste change over time.

#18 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

That's elitism and I hate it.

I think the term is hipster.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#19 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

I think the term is hipster.

What is hipster?

#20 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

not all mangaka is kishimoto, just like not all anime director is hayao miyazaki.

I have not said or implied that. All that I have said is that now I am very wary when someone talks me about a new series.

Regarding your question: Hipster

Usually I see it used to define people who gloats about rejecting the mainstream and liking obscure, quality stuff, unlike the unwashed masses, and complain when their obscure hobby becomes mainstream ("I liked X before it became cool!").

Of course, like all words and expressions, it is subject o missuse online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users