6 replies to this topic

#1 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

So last night I finished an LP I've been doing for a few months now. The game was Dragon Age: Origins. A long time ago, I had it on the Xbox 360, but I was never able to complete it due to the game constantly freezing and bugging out. However, I bought it on the PC a while back but never got around to playing it...until just a few months ago. And I have to say...I was a fool for not playing it sooner.

The game is starting to show its age a bit. Being released in 2009, it's not really hard to imagine why. However, the story, controls, and detail that went into this game make it well worth playing.

The overall story or plot is kind of similar to Lord of the Rings, but what fantasy game isn't? You start off creating a character. Be it Human, Elf, or Dwarf, and of course Male or Female. You then choose your skills and what type of fighting style you want your character to have. You choose between three combat classes: Warrior, Mage, and Rogue (my personal favorite)

After completing your character creation, you are recruited into an organization called "The Grey Wardens". Some of the best fighters in the world, and an old enemy of the evil army known as the "Darkspawn" an army of Undead to put it simply.

The detail and attention that went into this game is just amazing. During my play through, I was able to play as a character I could never play as in most games. I was role playing my lead female from my Chris Lynheart series. A woman named Jessica Holland. This is where it got real interesting to me. Jessica is the type of person who would never shed blood if she could avoid it. Jessica is very forgiving, very generous, very kind, and will never turn away from people who need her the most. Book wise, she's not really a fighter, but obviously I can't have a book character have the same attitude when she's in a video game.

Every action you do in this game determines how the world will see you. If you play a character like Jessica, who will never turn away from those who need her, you'll gain many allies in the game. If you play as a heartless jerk...you'll have a different outcome. Even picking between male and female at the beginning of the game determines how the people will see you. In some places, you may run into a bit of sexism. In other places, you may run into some places where the developers were hinting at rape (which isn't actually in the game as far as I know)

The story itself is short, but completing it will take a while. After the loss of a huge battle, you and only one other Grey Warden are left in Ferelden, the country the game takes place in. It is your goal to collect allies with ancient treaties that were signed by certain groups of people many, many years ago to build an army and halt the Darkspawn advance. Along the way, you will meet people who may become companions, who will follow you into battle. You can only bring four at a time, though.  

On the topic of companions, they are more than just followers. If treated with respect, they will become your friends, and even more loyal to you. Some of them can even become romantic interests, and even husbands and wives by the end of the game. Treat them badly, however, they will stop following you and tell you to fight the Darkspawn on your own.

The game is not all about bloodshed and violence. As stated above, there is a little bit of romance in the game...including sex scenes if your into that sort of thing. However, the people of Ferelden never take off your underwear (Bras, panties, boxers, etc) so if you were hoping to see some...extra skin...you'll be disappointed. Aside from romance, however, the game is very comical. Each follower has a unique personality. Some get along. Others...not so much. But when you have three of even just two followers following you, they will randomly engage in conversations. Some are interesting to listen to, others are comical, others are two of your followers just constantly bad mouthing each other. However, that does not mean all of your followers don't get along. Some of them get along perfectly fine.

Aside from the Darkspawn, you will be fighting many other foes in the game. Bandits, mercenaries, outlaws...demons. Yes, Undead and thieves are not the only threat in Ferleden. Demons are another foe you're constantly battling, and it's actually quite annoying how many times you'll be fighting demons in the game. There's just no end to them it seems.

The game has four difficulties: Easy, Normal, Hard, and Nightmare. Being completely honest, this game is a serious challenge, even when playing on easy. I cannot even begin to imagine how hard Nightmare is. Some of the bosses in the game are hard enough on easy. But if you're up to the challenge, go for it.

The ending of the game...I have some mixed feelings for. I'm not going to spoil it, but it could have been a lot worse. I guess it's just now what I was expecting.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone who loves playing RPG or hasn't played it yet. Overall rating from me 8/10

#2 Ryriena

Ryriena

Texas born and Raised

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga, history, unexplained mysteries, linguistics, geology, astrology, astro physics, chemistry, astronomy, sport cars, and racing cars, monster trucks, quantum mechanics and particle physics

Anime/Manga - Gaming

NaruSaku, Ash x Misty, (Pokyshiping) Ichigo x Rukia, Kiba/Hinata, Ichigo x Orihime, Uryū x Orihime, Cullen x Amell, Alastair x Warden, Cullen x Female Inqustior Ed x Winnry, Spike x May Valatine, Kaiden Alekno x Female Shepard, Garus x Female Shepard, Joker x Female Shepard, Angg x Katara, Zuko x Katara, Mako x Kora ( Avatar the last air bender - Legend of Kora) I don't see the ending of Kora as canon since its more of a fan service ending, since the canon pairing is not a properly developed paring.

VLD pairing: Plance, Shiro x Adam, Hunk x Shay, Kallura
    anti Allurance

The Dragon Prince: Cullum x Rayla

TV pairings
    Casket(Castle)
    Angel x Buffy, Buffy x Spike, Angel x Cordila Chase (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Booth x Bones (bones)
    Tony x Ziva David, Abby x Timothy McGee, Timothy x Delia (NCIS)
    Dean x Castiel, Sam x Gabriel, Sam x Elaine, Dean x Jo (Supernatural)

Comics parings: Supes x Lois Lang, Peter Parker x Mary Jay Waston, Captian x Black Widow, Hawke Eye x Black Widow, Jean Grey x Cyclops, Jean x Wolverine, Rouge x Gambit, Batman x Slilena Kyle, Bruce x Black Widow

Movies pairings: Jurassic Park series (Owen x Claire, Malcome x Sarah) Han x Leia, Luke x Maria Jade, Finn x Rey, FinnPoe (Star Wars)

Dislikes Supes x Wonder Woman, as it's basically turns a feminist icon in to a baby maker, NaruHinata, Sasuke x Sakura abusive relationship ahoy.

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:29 AM

Well it's good to know that theirs Dragon age fans here. DAI made me at least a little bit more forgiving to bioware for what they did to Mass effect 3; as that ending was a cluster kitten out of nowhere type ending like Naruto's.
Them Duke boys never meant no harm.--------> my childhood.
Freedom of speech is no laughing matter, since it does take one person to stand up for the right too speak out.
firma__op__luffyxnami_nu__out__by_pjxd23

#3 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

Never played Mass Effect 3, or any of the Mass effects. However, Dragon Age has become my favorite game series thus far. Is the rest of the series worth spending the money for? Or was Origins the only good game?

#4 nikki1314

nikki1314

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Interests:NARUSAKU , FANFICS , NARUSAK.. oh ive said that.. MUSIC , Photography and NARUSAKU!

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Was introduced to the Dragon Age Series via Inquisition. 

and i loved origin as I wanted to have romance with un-datable characters in Inquisition :P

-Naruto ending gets released- 

Kishi: Honey, I’m home! 

His wife:

tumblr_inline_nw89a6rhAY1smwzjq_500.gif

#5 Luna

Luna

aespa

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

Glad you saw the light. I love Dragon Age. I don't want to go into fangirl mode but Let's just say I never ever got tired of playing it. I still play it constantly.

#6 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:06 AM

Glad you saw the light. I love Dragon Age. I don't want to go into fangirl mode but Let's just say I never ever got tired of playing it. I still play it constantly.

Yeah, I know what you mean. If I'm not playing ETS2 I'm playing Dragon Age.

#7 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Interests:Games, Anime, OUAT....stuff I can't remember...and music!

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

Dragon Age!!!!! I was the same, I got the game by chance from my sister and I was like "I don't like these type of games...I'll play it fully" but I fell in love with it (though I don't like the combat system, I was able to not mind it as much).

The lore is interesting and how the characters are important to the story and how we learn about them

I got a question!! Which is your favorite Origin? Mine is Human Noble

tumblr_m8a1skcZ6M1rx8yloo1_500.jpg

Joui Four

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users