43 replies to this topic

#21 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:45 PM

I don't know about the "rebel" look but didn't you said he's like a "love-child" or clone of Naruto and Sasuke's DNA or some BS? Because he's not impressing me... AT ALL.

God I wish this series need to die in a fire.

...You know I said so many different thing to try to describe how generic this character is that I may have. Either seriously or as a joke. But overall Nail was always suppose to try capturing lighting in a bottle that was Sasuke's appeal by making this boy so edgy with a "dark" pass and a "cool" look.

#22 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:46 PM

Whatever the look is suppose to be, He's not pulling it off. AT ALL.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#23 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:56 AM

Volume 7 cover is out: 

wuk24gzjn2d21.jpg

Covers Chapters 24-27 (basically it ends where Boruto tells Kawaki to make up the vase incident for Himawari) 

So much edge in this boy that it practically cuts his hair for him.

Oh my god, but if you shave off that black mop on his head he'd look like Eminem, I cannot unsee this. World peace has been achieved, why are you so mad bro. You look like you need some of mom's spaghetti lmao. Wack.

#24 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

Volume 7 cover is out: 

wuk24gzjn2d21.jpg

Covers Chapters 24-27 (basically it ends where Boruto tells Kawaki to make up the vase incident for Himawari)

Me coming into the thread having no clue whats going on in Boruto or who the heck this guy is: Whoa, someones going through their emo phase.

I know anime has more than its share of crazy hair and by comparison this isnt THAT out there, but for some reason all of it combined is somehow hilarious. The little tattoo(?), the dumb black on blond haircut, and the piercings just screams edgy. The unsmiling side eye expression just brings it all together to make the kind of face that looks very punchable.

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 03 February 2019 - 11:06 PM.

#25 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:25 PM

He is the "Boruto's Sasuke" if you were wondering. :twitch:

#26 jak123

jak123

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

So he will treat Sarada like kitten throughout and also try to kill her, but then she will magically marry him anyway? And as she raises their child, he will be on the road hanging out with his father-in-law neglecting the kitten out of them?

Edited by jak123, 03 February 2019 - 07:55 PM.

#27 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:16 PM

Figures. That explains why I inexplicably want to sock him anyway. He’s got Sasuke beat in terms of sheer emo-ness by appearance, but the real question is does he out edge him in having an even angstier boring personality?

P.S. Why when I try to edit posts here does it delete apostrophes? Maybe it’s because I’m on mobile.

#28 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

So he will treat Sarada like kitten throughout and also try to kill her, but then she will magically marry him anyway? And as she raises their child, he will be on the road hanging out with his father-in-law neglecting the kitten out of them?

I'd say yes.

Figures. That explains why I inexplicably want to sock him anyway. He’s got Sasuke beat in terms of sheer emo-ness by appearance, but the real question is does he out edge him in having an even angstier boring personality?

P.S. Why when I try to edit posts here does it delete apostrophes? Maybe it’s because I’m on mobile.

Probably does, ask Bail for the details. He actually summarizes the chapters. Brave man.

#29 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:22 AM

....Well Sasuke originally was either quite when Naruto and Sakura were doing their antics or was right along side them. It was once he got the curse seal that his personality shifted to either "stoic emo," or psychotic to remind people he was suppose to be an antagonist. Nail has pretty much been either aggressively hostile or "angst ridden emo" since he appeared. Also we didn't learn of Sasuke's past immediately nor did it consume his entire personality -AT THE START- we also didn't know that he would become a villain at the start. We start off the story with him being a villain in a flash-forward implying he is going to be "Boruto's Sasuke," we quickly learn of his past, and his past completely shapes his personality.

Probably does, ask Bail for the details. He actually summarizes the chapters. Brave man.

It varies, but often its more of just an inconvenience. The anime was more annoying because it took up more of my time, and was weekly instead of monthly.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 04 February 2019 - 04:30 AM.

#30 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:53 PM

....Well Sasuke originally was either quite when Naruto and Sakura were doing their antics or was right along side them. It was once he got the curse seal that his personality shifted to either "stoic emo," or psychotic to remind people he was suppose to be an antagonist. Nail has pretty much been either aggressively hostile or "angst ridden emo" since he appeared. Also we didn't learn of Sasuke's past immediately nor did it consume his entire personality -AT THE START- we also didn't know that he would become a villain at the start. We start off the story with him being a villain in a flash-forward implying he is going to be "Boruto's Sasuke," we quickly learn of his past, and his past completely shapes his personality.

It varies, but often its more of just an inconvenience. The anime was more annoying because it took up more of my time, and was weekly instead of monthly.

So basically just taking all the worst parts of Sasuke’s character and recycling them into this guy? Great. Fantastic. So inspired. And I suppose it’s all for the sake of keeping the Naruto/Sasuke dynamic going in some form (cause as we all know, that was the Best Part of Naruto *heavy sigh*) and for the parallels, not like that concept hasn’t been done to absolute death in this series at this point.

#31 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:46 PM

I have a quick question. Has any of the late volumes surpassed the first three in sales? Lately, it seems the fandom is not once that

active as it was prior to the start of this manga.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#32 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:39 PM

So basically just taking all the worst parts of Sasuke’s character and recycling them into this guy? Great. Fantastic. So inspired. And I suppose it’s all for the sake of keeping the Naruto/Sasuke dynamic going in some form (cause as we all know, that was the Best Part of Naruto *heavy sigh*) and for the parallels, not like that concept hasn’t been done to absolute death in this series at this point.

How Naruto ended up could be considered an accident that could have changed if they had better editors. However, for Boruto they fully intended to copy the story down to the letter since the first scene of the manga; hoping that would lead to similar prosperity.

I have a quick question. Has any of the late volumes surpassed the first three in sales? Lately, it seems the fandom is not once that

active as it was prior to the start of this manga.

As far as I know, no. The problem is before both the manga and anime came out pro-enders could at least hope they would turn out good since the moive was at least decent. But with the manga slow pace, the anime coming off as endless filler, and all the problems the come from the writing/story/being a sequel of Naruto. It slowly ate away at a lot of peoples' interest in this sequel.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 08 February 2019 - 07:40 PM.

#33 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:19 AM

As far as I know, no. The problem is before both the manga and anime came out pro-enders could at least hope they would turn out good since the moive was at least decent. But with the manga slow pace, the anime coming off as endless filler, and all the problems the come from the writing/story/being a sequel of Naruto. It slowly ate away at a lot of peoples' interest in this sequel.

You know that's an interesting point that you bring up about The Boruto Manga in terms of peoples interest. I think it would be higher if say Chapter 11 ended up being the first chapter of the series, but because we spent 10 months on a recap arc it was just like really? I mean sure the artwork got better during that particular period, but that's not enough to justify it. He should've just held off on doing the manga until that point. But popular demand lol

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#34 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:55 AM

You know that's an interesting point that you bring up about The Boruto Manga in terms of peoples interest. I think it would be higher if say Chapter 11 ended up being the first chapter of the series, but because we spent 10 months on a recap arc it was just like really? I mean sure the artwork got better during that particular period, but that's not enough to justify it. He should've just held off on doing the manga until that point. But popular demand lol

By this point it could be anything from laziness to a poorly thought-out idea (which could vary from uses that time to get you baring on the series to shouldn't you tell the whole story if you going to add that Karma seal.) However, it is clear it wasn't till at least half way that they were registering complaint other then "the art looks bad." As for the slow pacing like I said Kodachi treats this as if he writing a light novel not a monthly manga. But you are right. They should have just started with this instead of wasting ten months of time rehashing the movie.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 09 February 2019 - 04:38 AM.

#35 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:57 AM

The desing of this volume just gives of a vibe of trying to get attention of school kids who listen to new school of rap artists, doulbe colored hair, face tattoo, edgy looks.

#36 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:39 AM

Was looking for the volume numbers wasn't out so just putting this here for reference.

https://www.animenew...volumes/.143099

https://www.shonenju...terview_boruto/

Boruto's Ikemoto: 'I Hope to Complete Story Within 30 Volumes'

He said that he hopes to keep "the entire saga" (including the 72-volume Naruto manga) within 100 volumes. Which means Boruto would have to be at best 28 chapters for that goal. He has already wasted 7 of those 28.

“BORUTO - NARUTO THE MOVIE -” was the beginning of Boruto’s story

― First of all, please briefly tell us how “BORUTO – NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS –” materialized as a series.

Ikemoto: Boruto, along with Sarada and many other characters, first appeared in “BORUTO - NARUTO THE MOVIE -,” which was the final theatrical installment of NARUTO series. As the movie featured a number of intriguing characters, many fans voiced their wish to watch its sequel. (More fans just wanted it to end already)
However, Mr. Kishimoto did not intend to write more stories about Boruto and his friends, so he suggested that I do the sequel. (Because Boruto exist on the agreement that he could finally end Naruto in order to do something else with his life.)

― So far in the series, which scene was the most important to you, personally?

Ikemoto: The scene is actually in the movie. There was a scene in the 9th chapter where Boruto creates a gigantic Rasengan together with Naruto. I was in sync with Boruto when drawing the sketch, as I felt the weight of NARUTO series and its long history behind it. (isn't that ripped from the movie or is that his original idea? I can't remember if he added that or not.)

― Are you always emotionally attached to characters when you are drawing them?

Ikemoto: Well, I suppose so. Most of the time, I am closely attached to each character I am drawing. In that sense, it is easier for me to empathize with Sarada, Kawaki and main characters other than the protagonist. Because Boruto’s actions are pretty much predetermined in the storyline, there are many restrictions in his depictions. On the other hand, I have more freedom with other characters, so they are easier to depict. (This is a bad thing, and the artist not the writer acknowledges it...also Salad and Cups have done jack kitten in your story so far!)

Character designs in BORUTO are born from inspiration

― The costumes and other designs in NARUTO and BORUTO are quite unique. Where do the ideas for character designs come from?

Ikemoto: For each character, the role and personality are determined first, and I draft its rough design based on my personal impression. Then, I check other existing characters in NARUTO series to avoid design overlap. I introduce new characters only after I know there is no duplication problem. (...do I need to say anything?)

― Does it mean you just visualize your impression as character designs instead of referring to some specific sources?

Ikemoto: Yes. My character designs directly reflect my first impressions. When I was an assistant for NARUTO series, Mr. Kishimoto asked me to create designs for some characters. So, I think I have enough training and experience to design new characters for the series.(What character did he create? I'm honestly curious.)

― Is there any particular area in drawing and designing where you pay close attention to?

Ikemoto: I always try to avoid drawing something too original by closely aligning my style with the original NARUTO and BORUTO. Mr. Kishimoto often tells me to make “eyes and mouths large,” as smaller eyes and mouths leave characters spiritless. (...Do I have to go back and check if this is hurting or helping that art of the manga?)
Also, I am careful when depicting Boruto interacting with other characters, as they often tend to affect my style. (I already know your style is inconsistent from panel to panel)
For example, when Boruto interacts with Tento (Richie-Rich/Firelord's Son), a character introduced in the 11th chapter, there are so many scenes where Boruto exposes childish emotions that the drawing becomes slightly childish as well. After Kawaki joined the story, Boruto started to look overgrown sometimes, because Boruto turns visibly rebellious in the presence of Kawaki. (What? Bolt is always a pissant, Nail really hasn't done anything other then be someone that argues with him that is not his father or love interest) Such fluctuations in my expressions are where I need to tackle in the future.

BORUTO’s and overseas fans

― Have you ever met fans of BORUTO outside Japan?

Ikemoto: Last year, I had the opportunity to interact with fans at Lucca Comics & Games in Italy. It was a signing event, and because the admission was determined by raffle, many fans could not enter the venue. (You sure about that?) There was a little boy among those unlucky fans, and he burst into tears and said, “Why can’t we go in?!” I was so sorry for him but at the same time was delighted, knowing someone loves BORUTO with such a passion. (Or maybe he got frustrated he couldn't enter a small venue after waiting in line for god knows how long? Lots of little boys are like that.)
Also, after an interview session in a large event hall, a group of fans approached me and said, “There is something we want to present you.” It was an illustration literally featuring all BORUTO characters who ever made an appearance in the series. Even the nameless ones were featured, drawn in tiny corners. There was a level of enthusiasm I have never felt before. I was deeply moved and felt sincerely grateful. (Right there are Hinata fans in Italy...didn't they destroy the Naruto forum over there?)

― Are there any highlights in BORUTO that you would particularly like to recommend to overseas fans?

Ikemoto: As for the future development of the story, it will revolve around Kawaki, so I don’t want fans to miss it. I want them to watch how the chemistry between Kawaki and Boruto transforms, and how it links back to the opening scene of the 1st episode. (or they could just watch Naruto again look at your story for five seconds and take a wild guess.)
Also, my brushwork in BORUTO is slightly more realistic (ah, so that was intentional.) than that of NARUTO, so you might enjoy somewhat more intensive depictions of characters, background buildings and sceneries. (..It actually made their face more bland and less expressive haven't really gotten any nuance from them that wouldn't be obvious in another art style.)

Determination to complete the story of BORUTO

― Do you have any set goal in running BORUTO series in the future?

Ikemoto: My utmost priority is to complete the entire story for BORUTO. That said, I do not want the story to sprawl out too much. As the original NARUTO series already has a whopping 72 volumes, I am hoping to complete the story within 30 volumes to keep the entire saga within a hundred volumes altogether.(All things considered he is roughly around kishi's age, and has seen where this has gone before. He probably setting this 'soft' final volume number so he doesn't have to spend fifteen years writing Boruto, and can also do something with his life riding off the fact that he has a published manga in WSJ. Since he is already a fourth of the way done. It could give him enough time to create his own manga.)

― Finally, can you offer a message to the readers of this article?

Ikemoto: You can read so many manga for free on MANGA PLUS, so please indulge! If you enjoy BORUTO please considering picking up the printed version as well! (..and here I was looking for the sales numbers of his latest volume sales numbers. At least he is not calling it super popular... in this part of the interview. I assume he gets money from manga plus subscription based on views or something.)

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 11 February 2019 - 07:29 AM.

#37 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:27 AM

https://www.animenew...ry-4-10/.143373

Well I jinxed it. I guess for once it went up, 112,201. 20,000 more then volume 6 first week (actually more 16,000.)

I can think of two reasons why it happened, and they both have to do with the cover. One is there is a sexy/cool looking boy on the cover, and that might have interested some people. Two since this cover has Nail on it; since people will know who he is either from the first episode or first chapter. People probably figured the story was finally starting since now he is involved in the story, and this is where they should jump on if they were watching the anime. So, I guess it could be said that it took seven volumes for Boruto to finally start. Not hit its stride. Just start.

Or this could just be a blip and it could start declining again next volume.

Anyways to "celebrate" this I'll look at the first week sales for the first seven volumes:

https://www.animenew...ust-1-7/.105241

https://www.animenew...ember-4/.109623

https://www.animenew...may-1-7/.115931

https://www.animenew...ember-5/.123781

https://www.animenew...0-may-6/.131371

https://www.animenew...ber-1-7/.137976

First week    Second Week   Third Week   Fourth Week   Fifth Week

1) 183,413         293,736            330,564          352,609          372,314

2) 116,905         229,257            266,939          290,008             OFF

3) 185,959         240,629            264,155          280,159             OFF

4) 136,286         200,272            222,467             OFF                OFF

5) 124,500         181,430            205,794          218,994             OFF

6)   96,221         160,055            182,712            OFF                 OFF

7) 112,201         145,430              OFF                OFF                 OFF

Edit: I decided to add the other weeks they were on the charts for reference.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 09 March 2019 - 01:02 AM.

#38 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:38 AM

Well i jinxed it I guess for once it went up. 112,201. 20,000 more then volume 6 first week.

YOU FOOL. YOU DOOMED US ALL!!!!

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#39 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:59 AM

Well i jinxed it. I guess for once it went up, 112,201. 20,000 more then volume 6 first week.

I can think of two reason why it happen, and they both have to do with the cover. One is there is a sexy/cool looking boy on the cover, and that might have interested some people. Two since this cover has Nail on it; since people will know who he is either from the first episode or first chapter. People probably figured the story was finally starting since now he is involved in the story, and this is where they should jump on if they were watching the anime. So, I guess it could be said that it took seven volumes for Boruto to finally start. Not hit it stride. Just start.

Or this could just be a blip and it could start declining again next volume.

Anyways to "celebrate" this I'll look at the first week sales for the first seven volumes:

https://www.animenew...ust-1-7/.105241

https://www.animenew...ember-4/.109623

https://www.animenew...may-1-7/.115931

https://www.animenew...ember-5/.123781

https://www.animenew...0-may-6/.131371

https://www.animenew...ber-1-7/.137976

1) 183,413

2) 116,905

3) 185,959

4) 136,286

5) 124,500

6) 96,221

7) 112,201

Even with the increase..... that's still pathetic. A decrease over the previous work was to be expected since people were interested in that and this new thing had to deal with the fact that it was going to lose some people, but the decrease is a lot more than normal.

Edited by Nostradamus, 15 February 2019 - 04:00 AM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#40 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:51 AM

YOU FOOL. YOU DOOMED US ALL!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users