28 replies to this topic

#1 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:13 AM

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to everyone who reads this. We are now on month 30 of this manga. Which means this manga has been going on for at least two and a half years. I just want people to think of both on how far most manga normally are by that point, and how far its contemporaries have also gotten in that time.

Summary time: Chapter 30 confrontation. Oh Yeehaw y'all Barbarian hair will fight...maybe.

Well, I still haven't figured out a name for this...girl? woman? But the excessive amount of yellow I now feel must be part of it.

000.jpg

So, Nail is fixing the bloody vase while the daughter watches...god her design is crap. Oh course the daughter points out that this is unnecessary, and she has already forgiven him; making this stipulation by Bolt even more pointless. Monthly manga with a weekly anime nipping at its heels everyone. Bolt finally does something his mother would do; ease-dropping on their conversation in the hallway. Oh and Barbarian hair used his toad -that would stand out if anyone would notice- to spy on them. He is shocked that Nail isn't confined somewhere, and decides to wait. The problem is....Mustard is losing her patients, and uses....a drone from her back.

007.png

Bolt decides to butt-in and lecture Nail about giving up. When the person he suppose to be upset for said she is over it. Bolt decides that he want to learn about the seal. They get into a spat started by Nail even though this is exactly what he wants. They start sparring... god the tribal tattoo design still look stupid. They fight...god could they show this girl less her design is awful. Nail's body has been modified which he uses in the spar. wants to test out Bolt's absorption with a hand blast but... that arm looks stupid...I'm starting to feel that a lot of this would just be me showing how bad this stuff looks, But not for this one. Bolt gets pissy because his hand got burnt from the blast. They do that stupid seal thing..and only Boruto sees a vision one of those kaguya relatives (ootsutsuki momoshiki) which causes the seal to do...something? Oh his wounds healed great now it added regenerative abilities to this stupid power up. What next?

So Mustard's drone find them so she split her legs into jet engines to quickly fly over to them...*sigh* (Moving on.) Quickly being noticed by Ino who informs Naruto. She arrives...does her face look like child's for some reason to anyone else?

040.png

Next chapter out on 1/28. So two and a half years and this is what they have so far.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 21 December 2018 - 10:34 PM.

#2 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:46 AM

funny how it's called chapter 30, when really it doesn't start until Chapter 11 (that honestly should've been called Chapter 1 (in terms of new content which I think has been what 20 chapters monthly wise). 

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#3 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:08 AM

Funny how it's called chapter 30, when really it doesn't start until Chapter 11 (that honestly should've been called Chapter 1 (in terms of new content which I think has been what 20 chapters monthly wise). 

Which is why I focused on the 30 months they have been releasing this story. However, the fact that they had wasted half their manga so far on a pointless prologue (1-10 rehash, 11-15 prologue) is a feature not a bug. Especially with this story's slow pacing. What was the main thing in this chapter? A spar to figure out their seals. What was the main thing last chapter? A spar to figure out their seals.

Also again I want people to think on this; how far most manga normally are by that point -30th month of publishing-, and how far its contemporaries have also gotten in that time since Boruto started?

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 21 December 2018 - 05:09 AM.

#4 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:23 AM

All other monthly manga wouldn't bore me this much with thirty chapters under their belts :no:

Edited by Phantom_999, 30 December 2018 - 06:04 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#5 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

I'm laughing at the fact that they kept saying, "this show is super popular" at the bottom right hand corner of the cover. Really, if its that popular, why you keep changing time slots?

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#6 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

So, I take it from this summary that they took the glacial pacing of the previous seven hundred chapter weekly manga and thought it would work monthly? Because it sounds like almost nothing happens.

Edited by dl316bh, 21 December 2018 - 06:17 PM.

bd5.jpg

#7 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:01 PM

The art style is sort of getting better, but...man, is the story just bad. I feel like I am reading a fanfiction manga that just so happens to have Naruto in it.

I guess is the great Sci-fi manga that Kishimoto wanted to do seeing how robots are abundant, technology is running rampant and more.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#8 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

So, I take it from this summary that they took the glacial pacing of the previous seven hundred chapter weekly manga and thought it would work monthly? Because it sounds like almost nothing happens.

YES!

To be more accurate each chapter is a chapter of Naruto stretched out to roughly 40 pages. So each chapter just feels like it is an extended weekly chapter in terms of both feel, and pacing. Which makes the fact that it comes out monthly makes the story incredibly slow, and you do feel as if you have not gotten enough story to want to wait another month for it. This is part of the reason I feel its sales keep dropping each volume.

All other monthly manga wouldn't bore me this much with thirty chapters under-their belts :no:

If any-other manga either 30 chapters or 30 months was this bad it would have been cancelled already. It only survives because it is the sequel to Naruto.

I'm laughing at the fact that they kept saying, "this show is super popular" at the bottom right hand corner of the cover. Really, if its that popular, why you keep changing time slots?

I have long since forgot when they started doing that...at least since either the first volume or the announcement of the anime. It never came out as anything more then desperately trying to convince the reader to stay with the story, and support the series.

The art style is sort of getting better, but...man, is the story just bad. I feel like I am reading a fanfiction manga that just so happens to have Naruto in it.

I guess is the great Sci-fi manga that Kishimoto wanted to do seeing how robots are abundant, technology is running rampant and more.

It pretty much averaged out after the rehashing. There are still some awful bits mainly due to Ikemoto's awful character designs, but backgrounds do look nice.

Like I said, Kishimoto probably gotten bored, and just started testing the ideas he had for his sci-fi manga on this. 

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 21 December 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#9 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:08 PM

YES!

To be more accurate each chapter is a chapter of Naruto stretched out to roughly 40 pages. So each chapter just feels like it is an extended weekly chapter in terms of both feel, and pacing. Which makes the fact that it comes out monthly makes the story incredibly slow, and you do feel as if you have not gotten enough story to want to wait another month for it. This is part of the reason I feel its sales keep dropping each volume.

Yeech. Even at the time I still cared about it, I felt like Naruto was a series that just wouldn't work out that well if it weren't a weekly thing, if only because it felt like so little happened in a lot of chapters. You can't pace a story like that if it's not coming out at a rapid clip, because the decompression is bad enough it's easy to lose interest because nothing exciting is happening.

Sounds like I wasn't far off. How does the anime even deal with this? The filler must be ridiculous. A chapter a month isn't enough source material to adapt.

If any-other manga either 30 chapters or 30 months was this bad it would have been cancelled already. It only survives because it is the sequel to Naruto.

It's in Jump like Naruto was, right? That probably accounts for some of it too. Space to fill. I've often theorized that a fair number of weekly shounen wouldn't work as well outside of magazines like Jump because of the pacing required by weekly release. If it's bunched with a group of chapters from a bunch of different series a little leeway is given there, but if they had to stand on their own - more like what our industry in America is like - the wheels would probably fall off.

How does it do compared to other manga collection releases? Maybe they lowered their expectations, realizing it wouldn't be a phenomenon like Naruto was. If they figure it as a mid range seller that might give it some rope as well.

bd5.jpg

#10 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:42 PM

Yeech. Even at the time I still cared about it, I felt like Naruto was a series that just wouldn't work out that well if it weren't a weekly thing, if only because it felt like so little happened in a lot of chapters. You can't pace a story like that if it's not coming out at a rapid clip, because the decompression is bad enough it's easy to lose interest because nothing exciting is happening.

Sounds like I wasn't far off. How does the anime even deal with this? The filler must be ridiculous. A chapter a month isn't enough source material to adapt.

It's in Jump like Naruto was, right? That probably accounts for some of it too. Space to fill. I've often theorized that a fair number of weekly shounen wouldn't work as well outside of magazines like Jump because of the pacing required by weekly release. If it's bunched with a group of chapters from a bunch of different series a little leeway is given there, but if they had to stand on their own - more like what our industry in America is like - the wheels would probably fall off.

How does it do compared to other manga collection releases? Maybe they lowered their expectations, realizing it wouldn't be a phenomenon like Naruto was. If they figure it as a mid range seller that might give it some rope as well.

You are completely out of the know aren't you? Outside of the opening scene where they showed off the new SNS conflict; they have adapted nothing of the manga yet. The anime is nothing but filler that considers itself canon, and adaptations of kishi material for Boruto: the mitsuki one shot, the salad gaiden, and the boruto movie. They make the excuse that they are doing the same thing Dragonball Super did -they aren't- in order to justify what they are doing.

If you do something once a week it is easy for that to become a habit, and is difficult to break. If you do something once a month that can still become a habit, but it easier to forget about. Weekly manga need to be just interesting enough that the reader want to see what happens next week. A monthly manga has to be good enough to hold the desire to read the next chapter for an entire month. For Boruto, it is not helped that it is in Weekly Shounen Jump making it feel even slower because of the other manga people are reading along with this chapter.

They wanted Boruto to be a big international hit like Naruto, but by this point they realize that not going to happen. So, just keep it afloat till the next meal ticket comes along.

#11 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:12 AM

You are completely out of the know aren't you?

This is the first time I'm actually looking into what the series is doing since Naruto ended - and I haven't even given a cursory glance to the anime - so yeah, no clue. Haven't really tried to hide that. I just assumed they were adapting because that's usually what happens with these things. Bad assumption, I guess, but in my defense an anime doing nothing but filler and having not adapted a single thing almost three years on is pretty highly unusual in my experience.

Edited by dl316bh, 22 December 2018 - 12:13 AM.

bd5.jpg

#12 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:45 AM

This is the first time I'm actually looking into what the series is doing since Naruto ended - and I haven't even given a cursory glance to the anime - so yeah, no clue. Haven't really tried to hide that. I just assumed they were adapting because that's usually what happens with these things. Bad assumption, I guess, but in my defense an anime doing nothing but filler and having not adapted a single thing almost three years on is pretty highly unusual in my experience.

Under normal circumstances that would be correct. But. Here we are dealing with incompetent clowns in charge on almost all levels.

The anime was always clearly going to do at least an arc of Boruto in school; so, they could do the Salad gaiden as well as the beginning of Team Konohamaru before the chunin exam. After also doing a large amount of filler at the end of Naruto including adapting some of the light novels that came out after the ending. This was largely to give the manga a head-start. Which they then spend the first ten months rehashing a movie that the anime was going to have to do anyway adding very little except a future glance into the Neo-SNS conflict (that reveled pretty much everything needed to predict the entire story from now on), and Bolt getting his seal as a reward from the movie villain for defeating him. Both which could have simply been informed the anime of these changes, and spent those ten months not wasting time. Then...well you know the second episode/chapter of the shounen anime/manga where they try to add a bit more depth to the main character? Yeah, it took them Five Months to go through that. Before they even got done with that the anime had started. By the time the manga even really got started into the Ao arc by introducing the villain; the anime had done two arcs, and well through their third; roughly...30 episodes. Because they wasted so much time the anime is force to make more filler to stall for more time; leading to BS excuses based on Super's success. Not only that but because how the manga is structured, slow yet the arcs are tightly pack together, there's really is not any place to pop for an arc then go back to filler. So they have keep making filler till the manga gives them an opening; which to be honest may actually be after they kill Naruto, and Bolt goes on a training time skip.

Tired. Want more detail, to confirm it, or see it in your own eyes? Go look back on the older chapter/episode discussions or read the manga or watch the anime.

#13 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:04 PM

I believe you. I still might look into the old episode threads like you suggest for shiggles, though. I've been poking around some old threads here and there to see a bit of what's been going on since I last came here anyway.

Edited by dl316bh, 22 December 2018 - 06:05 PM.

bd5.jpg

#14 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:01 AM

@Bail, thank you for keeping this thread alive, I'm not riding this abomination, but your threads are intresting to follow as somebodies opinion on what is going on in this dead franchise. The only chapter that I will read is where they will kill an mc that is already dead by all means. And still no new manga from Kishimoto with his sci-fi motives, when was it announced that he will do it? 1 or 2 years after "masterfully planned" ending of Naruto, right?  :hehehe:

#15 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:24 AM

@Bail, thank you for keeping this thread alive, I'm not reading this abomination, but your threads are interesting to follow as somebodies opinion on what is going on in this dead franchise. The only chapter that I will read is where they will kill an mc that is already dead by all means. And still no new manga from Kishimoto with his sci-fi motives, when was it announced that he will do it? 1 or 2 years after "masterfully planned" ending of Naruto, right?  :hehehe:

He announced he was going to leave the Naruto franchise and start working on a new manga "probably sci-fi" before the Salad gaiden was even released from what I recall. He made another announcement about it last year, and then hugged the Bolt mascot last year at jump festa right? Hopefully, this year he will actually show it.

At this point Bleach will get both an anime for its last arc, and a sequel manga before he even starts it. Super will definitely restart before its first chapter is released. Looks up Jump Festa -which is happening today and tomorrow-...oh Dr. Stone is getting an anime as well.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 23 December 2018 - 04:32 AM.

#16 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:14 AM

Yeah ,at this point thought I wouldn't care or even support his new sci-fi manga even if it came out. It's been harped on about for four years now and he gave us no reason to be excited for it with how he killed his own "magnum Opus" with his indecision and lack of resolve and when you keep shouting a new work is coming out soon so many times without a hint of promise or even purpose then the wait just burns out 

#17 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, at this point thought; I wouldn't care or even support his new sci-fi manga even if it came out. It's been harped on about for four years now, he gave us no reason to be excited for it with how he killed his own "magnum Opus" with his indecision and lack of resolve and when you keep shouting a new work is coming out soon so many times without a hint of promise or even purpose then the wait just burns out 

Depending. I feel somewhat obligated to at least see the first 30 chapters now...or at least 15. To see if it better then Boruto. But mostly I honestly I just want him gone from Boruto. So, they can no longer pretend he is the editor; when it really that Taguchi guy.

Also with the general reaction people have had to Boruto, and the four year of time that has passed. Only his fanatics would really care by this point. Since everyone else has gotten indifferent...for the most part.

Edit: Well good new his next manga is weekly so it won't take that long to get to either 15 or 30 chapters.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 23 December 2018 - 03:02 PM.

#18 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:12 AM

If it ever happens it would be interesting to see how it does in terms of readership, given everything that happened with Naruto. Or if he even has a decent premise. Sci-fi can be pretty hard to pull off, sometimes. Hell, I'm reading one called Blame! right now and I'm still not sure how I feel about it two big @ss Akira size volumes in.

Edited by dl316bh, 23 December 2018 - 08:15 AM.

bd5.jpg

#19 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

If it ever happens it would be interesting to see how it does in terms of readership, given everything that happened with Naruto. Or if he even has a decent premise. Sci-fi can be pretty hard to pull off, sometimes. Hell, I'm reading one called Blame! right now and I'm still not sure how I feel about it two big @ss Akira size volumes in.

Judging by the tech seen in Boruto, if they are from his suggestion then, cyborgs...So probably a cyber punk city with cyborg wielding laser swords as the characters with some energy that is similar but no quite chakra.

Edit: Well I was right; also include Japanese cultural references, and clothing apparently.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 23 December 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#20 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

Well I'll see how you feel about the new series then and I'll THINK on whether or not to give it a shot. But either way I'm not spending money on this new series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users