• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

Really wondering if the River Song pregnant rumors are true. I'm thinking about how the storyline has gone and what that would do to both River Song and the Doctor after what happens in the 5th episode, even more so. And conveniently this is right where the season takes a break...

I'm already creating fanfic in my head about this. wink.gif

Don't have the ins and outs of popular Brit fic like I do Japanese anime and manga and American superhero comics. Plus not sure where Moffat is going with Doctor Who, but in the commentaries where he talks about River Song he really emphasizes how much she and the Doctor love each other and even said something about her being his greatest love.

I loved River Song and the Doctor's scenes in the final episode of the last season. There was some interesting dynamics going on too, they bounced back and forth between who was the one guiding the actions of the other. It was interesting to see how soft River could be when the Doctor took charge and married them. (we see shades of this River with the Doctor in her first appearances- with the 10th Doctor as she tries to win him over.)

Something intriguing though is going on with the fact that River Song is for all intents and purposes a semi untrained time lord (or time lady back in the day of the 4th Doctor and Romana, although time lord was also used when as a generic covering both genders...) The 11th Doctor stated that "humans look time lord"- As the time lord race came first, being billions rather than around 200,000 years old.

So I'm wondering if where Moffat is going is- humans evolved from members of the time lord race who somehow ended stranded on earth around 200,000 years ago- an early time and space travel experiment gone wrong? (when the first h*** sapiens sapiens suddenly emerged) mixed with the native other h*** sapiens races that coexisted at that time- Neanderthals and Denisovans, and created the human race.

Amy's bedroom had a "crack in the skin of the universe" in it, exposing the DNA she would pass on to any offspring to something similar to the time lord's exposure to the the time vortex, and remember Rory also was a frequent visitor as a child- thus likely also altering his DNA, although on a smaller scale. Then River was conceived on the Tardis, and spent some time there after in utero on the Tardis, thus completing her genetic change to that of the time lord race.

Should River be pregnant by the Doctor, her child, or children (if it's twins, etc..) would indeed be essentially time lord race.

Edited by ciardha, 07 September 2012 - 02:09 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#42 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

Just posted the first chapter of my first Doctor Who fanfic on my deviantart page.

I labeled it mildly mature content, but there's nothing in the first chapter that is any more naughty than the TV show. smile.gif

http://ciarda927.dev...Stars-330899836

I doubt if it will get any steamier than what you'd see in the more romantically sensual shoujo manga for teen girls, or say a historical romance with some romantic sexual content (so at the highest an R or 15 rating, most chapters will be no higher than PG-13 or 12 rating, like the current run of the TV show. Still giving it a mild mature rating to be on the safe side.)

Pairing is 11th Doctor/River Song.

Edited by ciardha, 06 October 2012 - 05:01 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#43 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Interesting spoiler stuff with the new companion in Doctor Who. Spoiler stuff released by Doctor Who staff. Hints toward Clara actually being evil, lots of emotional manipulation, with multiple "deaths", etc...

Looks like Amy's last words of advice to River is meant to serve as a foreshadowing. Amy twice states "Take care of the Doctor" in her final words to her daughter. But she heard the pain in River's words about the difficulties in her marriage to the Doctor, and witnessed a bit of the Doctor being less than kind to River (then being contrite and trying to fix the damage). She hints she knows River will not feel herself up to the task of "taking care of the Doctor".

But for River the problem is that he put her in a place where damage had to be endured, then hidden from him because it would hurt him too much to see he had caused it. Plus her own low self-esteem. River doesn't believe she is sane or emotionally centered enough to pull the Doctor back from his own madness, and that being around him all the time would make her as crazy as he is. Amy though, has seen River is actually the only one who is truly strong enough to truly pull the Doctor away from his madness. The Doctor when he is alone too long does actually slide toward psychopathy. River when she's alone too long becomes depressed but otherwise functions normally. River calls herself (and the Doctor now that she's been married to him a number of years) a psychopath, but even as highly unbalanced Mels that moniker is not really accurate. She was inwardly battling the brainwashing, it was more a split personality- definitely a kind of madness, but caused by traumatic events inflicted on her since her birth, not natural causes. River was from after the point in her own personal timeline where she married the Doctor, the one who centered everyone, pull them back from their own madness in traumatic situations- including the Doctor.

I think what will ultimately happen is that River will have to be the one that rescues the Doctor from the bad situation he's gotten into by falling in with a woman who actually does "stalk him" and force him into take her on as his new companion.

River thought anyone would be better than herself for the Doctor, but instead, no one is better. She is the only person that can truly understand him because she is part time lord. (Moffat, and RTD too- and even to a degree in classic who- hinted at a kind of dangerous, destructive madness that can lurk inside all time lords if left to their own devises. I think this is what River senses in herself, but she discounts too much her strong human part, especially the calm centered self she inherited from her father Rory.)

Edited by ciardha, 01 December 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#44 narulsaku

narulsaku

FALLEN ANGEL

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Interests:playing vedio games , readin' mangas , books ,singing , drawing , and also listing music , hang arround with friends , cricket, football, and also table tennise,eating
    I love multipllayer games like dog fight , tanki online.
    ect....

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

i am sorry but i couldnt catch those wordr you have written in the previous post.

god is sweet.......
courage,,,,,,,,,,,
doesn't always roar.............
sometimescourage is quite voice at the
end of the day saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
'll try again tomorrow"

#45 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

Hey ciardha. Got any thing to say about Chapter 515?

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#46 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Kishi killed off Neiji- wah!

That was really my only reaction.

#47 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Ciardah is back, biggrin.gif hooooorayyyy ^^, wait? Did you even left, or am I living on a parallel universe?

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#48 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Are you gonna stay? : D

party.gif

ナルサク

#49 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 22 2013, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kishi killed off Neiji- wah!

That was really my only reaction.

RIGHT. biggrin.gif

#50 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (sushi. @ Jan 22 2013, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you gonna stay? : D

party.gif

Didn't really leave, just hit my annoyance point with the same old, same old cycle of stuff. Took a break of a few weeks away and played in some of my older ship fandoms (River/The Doctor), (Buffy/Spike), etc...

#51 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jan 23 2013, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RIGHT. biggrin.gif

Seriously it was. I glanced here and saw the saw old freakout panicking any time Hinata makes an appearence and got irritated, especially when the big shock was about Neiji getting killed. That was really sad, and felt like a waste to me, the character had evolved and become a good solid character. Oh well.

Edited by ciardha, 25 January 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#52 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 24 2013, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously it was. I glanced here and saw the saw old freakout panicking any time Hinata makes an appearence and got irritated, especially when the big shock was about Neiji getting killed. That was really sad, and felt like a waste to me, the character had eveolved and become a good solid character. Oh well.

Me too i wonder how could be the reaction if hinata didnt fix'ed Naruto's shoulder.
SK-303_image007.jpg

#53 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 24 2013, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously it was. I glanced here and saw the saw old freakout panicking any time Hinata makes an appearence and got irritated, especially when the big shock was about Neiji getting killed. That was really sad, and felt like a waste to me, the character had evolved and become a good solid character. Oh well.

Oh I know you were truthful. I was agreeing with you. the Hinata hand holding did not worry me, but I was a little let down because I knew that the most of obsessive of NH fans would be shrieking in our faces right then. -__-

#54 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Untimely deaths of characters I've come to like are always a bit depressing. I never really liked character deaths even when I was a kid (I hated, and still do, frankly, the story Old Yeller. I saw the movie when I was around 8 and it was traumatizing to me when the kid had to shoot and kill his pet dog because he'd become rabid. I think it's a truly awful movie for children to see- far too traumatizing a way to educate kids about how everything dies. I think Bambi did it better, and I was even younger when I saw that (I remember crying, definitely, and feeling a bit of anxiety about family members dying someday, but it didn't traumatize me)

As a 46 year old now- and having experienced several loved one's deaths, untimely deaths of characters I've come to like touches the part of me that mourns the loss of my loved ones, and makes me feel a bit depressed. Doesn't matter if the character is just one I liked a little bit, if the death isn't one I knew was going to happen coming into the story, and especially if it's violent and sudden triggers a bit of depression in me- especially if I've experienced the sudden death of a loved in the past year (which happened just this October with my paternal aunt, who died of an internal infection from a surgery she had- scar tissue developed and became infected, and being internal it wasn't known that was the cause of her sudden downturn and death until after she died.)

This is another reason I've kind of pulled back from the fandom and reading Naruto too with the war arc. I have too much real life mourning going on.

Thankfully Amy and Rory's sort of deaths on Doctor Who happened before my aunt died, plus it was less painful because it wasn't an instant death of those characters, and they got to spend many years together before they died.

And thank you Moffat for making clear River's "death" in the Library wasn't final either way back when the DVDs came out for those episodes- and then even hinting she had actually freed herself from there in the Manhattan episode (not without physical cost though- poor River, even though she plans things out- every time she saves herself from death, those she loves, or a heroic act to save the universe- it always does some damage to her physically and/or emotionally. ) -the very episode Amy and Rory are lost to the Doctor and more sadly to River. More sadly to her, because it happened just as River and Amy had got this mixed up time thing mutually sorted and were building the start of something like a mother/daughter bond.

Sadly, although she clearly showed she really wanted to also develop a father/daughter bond Rory, he didn't ever seem to be able to see River as his daughter emotionally- emotionally related to her still as just a trusted friend even in Manhattan. River seems to recognize this, she only calls him daddy once- and it's in a lighthearted moment. (Oh the scene in the tunnel where she is telling Rory about how she fell head over heels in love with the Doctor when she met him because he knew all about her and loved her and how painful it had become now that she was the one who knew more than the Doctor and was so in love with him while he was now just starting to make his feelings obvious and how she would die inside when he no longer knew her. Rory had just acted a bit protective and concerned about her, and even though he didn't know River was his daughter yet, River knew Rory was her father and oh it's so much her relating to him as her daddy... it just hits you right there when you watch that scene through her eyes, it's about the only time Rory does see River as someone vulnerable and shows concern. And River emotionally goes right to seeing him as her daddy, even though she doesn't let on that she does. We see her one other time attempt to connect that way emotionally with Rory- but when she's earlier on in her relationship with the Doctor and the Doctor still knows more than she does, in some ways, this is just before it shifts for her. She's breathlessly telling Rory about her date with the Doctor like a teenage girl telling her daddy all about her wonderful boyfriend and the whirlwind romantic birthday date she just had. Rory still doesn't know River is his daughter, but he will by the end of that day... Intellectually he accepts River is his daughter, but emotionally he never really does. River hides it but it's another heartbreak for her. )

Amy's more perceptive she picks up on River's feelings far more quickly, and even overtly sees herself as River's mother at times. River calls Amy mother in a serious tone several times in their later encounters, and Amy calls her by her birth name of Melody and speaks to her as her child in her last words in the graveyard in Manhattan.)

#55 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Have to post about this awesome painting a Doctor Who fan did of the dark Doctor that has been hinted since way back in the Classic Who series with the 6th and 7th Doctor- the failed partial regeneration called the Valeyard in Classic Who, with a foreshadowed weaker version called the Dreamlord early on with 11th. I was thinking they'd have to get another actor to play that partial regeneration, but this painting made me realize Matt Smith could play both roles- his weakened 11th self, and the failed partial regeneration

http://saimain.devia...llery/#/d5mvypc

The kiddies will be really scared! (Which is exactly what Doctor Who loves to do, but this time with the Doctor himself, and not just a brief moment of psychopathy- a whole half a season)

And to explain the difference in appearance the Valeyard took on when he plagued the 6th and 7th Doctors- perception filter. It even makes sense, because the Doctor didn't immediately realize the Valeyard was the all dark part of himself in a failed partial regeneration- it's the Master who knows, and knows it happened some time around the 12th Doctor. With the 11th we been told it happens at "the fall of the 11th" at Trenzalore. It's also been hinted River will be the only one who can save the Doctor, because she's faced and dealt with her own madness.

#56 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Elizabeth Corday and River Song a comparison

Alex Kingston’s two best known long term character roles have interesting similarities and contrasts. Elizabeth Corday, although not nearly as strong and independent initially as River Song, she ends up as far moreso- a woman who has become a true survivor and success on all fronts. This may be a reflection on the difference in British and American cultures…(something even hinted in the ER series, when Corday keeps returning to America after finding the higher levels of sexism in the UK did not allow her to rise to a leadership position, something she finally achieves in the US- Becoming the Chief of Trauma Surgery at Duke University.) Elizabeth Corday is also shown to have succeeded on the family front, as a widowed mother of both her own child and a step daughter. When Mark Greene’s step daughter Rachel enters Elizabeth Corday’s personal life she is a troubled teenager using drugs and acting out. When we see Rachel Greene and Elizabeth in the final season of ER, we find out Elizabeth has had a profound influence on Rachel- Rachel has decided to follow in the career path of her father and step mother and become a doctor. Elizabeth apparently has had such a profound influence on Rachel that she apparently perms her hair curly and wears it like Elizabeth, she also dresses in a style very similar to her step mother’s.

River Song- in her first appearance in series 4 she is a professor of archeology at an unnamed university in the far future (either 51st or 52nd century- it’s a bit muddled). It is also hinted that she has had a very close romantic relationship with the Doctor. The relationship had been so close and full of trust that he had told her his real name- something no one else he’s associated with has known. (we soon find out that his real name and apparently what that gives away as nature of what kind of being he truly is, is the most dangerous secret in all of time and space) At the end of her first arc- where she dies but is saved to a super computer in both mind and body- it is also suggested she has also been the mother of children, and she recreates that part of her life within CAL.

After that point when her character returns in an earlier point in time her life status has greatly diminished. She is a prisoner serving time for murder- we eventually discover for a crime she not only didn’t commit but had fought against being forced into with every fiber of her being. She serves the prison sentence to protect the life of the Doctor, her husband.

We see hints of her possible motherhood of the Doctor’s children a few times- most overtly in series 6 in two episodes and in a canonical tie in computer game. This is also hinted symbolically a few other times- the association in both series 5 and 6 with two Egyptian mother goddesses. (And also in both- Cleopatra, who was both a leader and a mother of children)

It’s only in series 7a that River status has returned to not being a prisoner (her crime being deemed to have never happened) being a professor of archeology. But even here River loses. She never truly had any kind of family growing up and had been profoundly abused as a small child- kidnapped as an infant and brainwashed to become a psychopath and an assassin. A parental bond of any type never happens with her father, even after he discovers who she is and we see her attempts to hint at wanting this ignored, he refused to even tell his own father about River, even when Brian hints about liking to become a grandfather, even to an adopted child. Even with Amy, who picks up on River’s profound wish to have a mother/daughter bond this bond is lesser than both her bond to Rory and even to the Doctor. In contrast, River places her parents even above her bond to the Doctor, especially to her mother. The Doctor appears to value his bond to Amy above his bond to River. So, at this point, River has no one who truly values her- unless the hints of her children do play out. (And as hinted in series 4- that is what she values most. She is able to give to her children what she had never received. Only if River is shown in a tender interaction with her children, in her classroom being an archeological professor- with high respect from her colleagues being noted, and the Doctor actually being shown to have come to value, trust and love her her beyond anything else will she even begin to approach what Elizabeth Corday was shown to have.

And still it will be less, because Elizabeth Corday was shown to have been loved by both her parents- more than her parents loved each other. She had some difficulties with both parents but she still loved them both as well.

Elizabeth did lose her husband to death, and spiraled downward emotionally somewhat because of that, but after a few years she was able to build a successful personal and professional life that made her content.

Will River ever be shown to have built a personal and professional life that made her content? Only if Moffat follows through on the hints he’s left and actually shows it.

It’s interesting to note how many female fanfic writers (I’ve noticed this especially true amongst the American female fanfic writers.) have done just this for River in their stories of her and the Doctor. (And they often include a far stronger bond developing between River and her parents than what is show canon, even a bond with all her living grandparents is not uncommon- especially the profoundly canon neglected Augustus and Tabetha Pond- Amy’s parents.)

I’d like to hear from not just US people but UK people about this. As an 46 year old American female I’m profoundly aware of the sexism in American culture. But I’ve seen enough of UK culture via pop culture, news media, etc... to see a bit higher level of sexism is reflected there. Which kind of surprises me as the UK has had and currently has a female royal ruler and has had a female Prime Minister where the US hasn’t even had a female Vice President and only recently and briefly had a female Speaker of the House. I would have expected less rather than more, so it's kind of shocking and disappointing.

Off topic for above but on topic for this forum:
It's kind of interesting, I've had some of the most deep conversations about sexism in worldwide culture with Japanese friends- of both genders, both in real life and online- but the feminist movement in Japan has been pretty strong since the later 1980's- something most people in the west seem to be unaware of. I've seen it even influence a change in the way female characters are portrayed even in some shonen manga- and Kishimoto's Naruto is the most dramatic example of this. I have the least annoyance with his portrayal of female characters than any other shonen manga I've read or seen (and I've seen many hundreds over the 40+ years I've been an anime fan and 30+ years I've been a manga fan. I know some people complain about the lack of fight scenes for female characters in Naruto, but that is oh so minor a problem to me. I look at the way he makes so many female characters well rounded but positive- wise and strong of will and their deeds are crucial long term if often forgotten to time- the last something that is still often true in real life. He also doesn't sexually fetishize female friendships- (a serious pet peeve of mine common in shonen manga from the mid 1970's to present- it's sexist), but treats them with the same respect given to male friendships. He also doesn't frequently treat female characters as fan service sexual objects- still a very common problem in shonen manga. I count these as important factors, the number of times a female character "kicks ass" is not, especially as often the case these scene in the majority of shonen manga is still used as a moment to sexually fetishize the female character- this is true in the west as well- look at superhero comics, tv shows, movies, computer games, etc... I've noticed in some fan reactions to the moments where female characters "kick ass" in Doctor Who even if it wasn't sexually fetishized it becomes so.- (which outside of River Song, it almost always was- even some of hers were, but less than any other attractive female character- both classic and the revival versions. I've noticed this continues with a vengeance with new companion Clara- basically everything is completely sexually fetishized about the character. Which is why I find the character completely uninteresting. She's overtly made to not draw any connection with female viewers- unlike River Song who is quite well known to have a profound connection with both young girls and women viewers worldwide- especially female viewers from their 40's-60's who have some background with classic Doctor Who and actively consider themselves feminists. Adult males of that age range too that have some background with classic Doctor Who and hold pro feminist views. The young girls probably because she's a strong woman who loves the Doctor and has a strong maternal vibe, the 40's-60's adults because the above and also because they see parallels to the real life struggles and pain in women's lives- for the women in particular because it reflects their own struggles and pains with little to no reward or success, and how they've had to, as River says "hide the damage" and how depressing and frustrating all that is.)

#57 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

happy 20th anniversary to me wink.gif

Of regularly writing fanfic, that is! Heh.

Just realized it was right around this time in 1993 (some time in late February) That I started writing “Dreams and Desires” (My now oh so ancient Gambit and Rogue fanfic)

If you go back (pun- wait for it) about 9 more years, that’s when I wrote my first fanfic- a story taking place with two elf characters of my own creation set in the Pini’s Elfquest world (told you there was a pun wink.gif

Amazing, it’s been 20 years since I decided to regularly write fanfic. How time flies when you’re having fun- and writing fanfic is not only a good way to build your skills as a writer (I don’t care what some snobby pro writers think- some who essentially write paid fanfic- writing for a comic book company or tv series tie-in novels is paid fanfic.) but is about the most fun creative work can be- and is every bit as draining as writing original fiction (I’ve done both so I can attest to that) if you put the effort into it that I feel you should. (and that I do. I usually feel pretty tired after I’ve completed a chapter, tired but relieved and usually happy- unless it’s a sad chapter.)

#58 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Feb 23 2013, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
happy 20th anniversary to me wink.gif

Of regularly writing fanfic, that is! Heh.

Just realized it was right around this time in 1993 (some time in late February) That I started writing “Dreams and Desires” (My now oh so ancient Gambit and Rogue fanfic)

If you go back (pun- wait for it) about 9 more years, that’s when I wrote my first fanfic- a story taking place with two elf characters of my own creation set in the Pini’s Elfquest world (told you there was a pun wink.gif

Amazing, it’s been 20 years since I decided to regularly write fanfic. How time flies when you’re having fun- and writing fanfic is not only a good way to build your skills as a writer (I don’t care what some snobby pro writers think- some who essentially write paid fanfic- writing for a comic book company or tv series tie-in novels is paid fanfic.) but is about the most fun creative work can be- and is every bit as draining as writing original fiction (I’ve done both so I can attest to that) if you put the effort into it that I feel you should. (and that I do. I usually feel pretty tired after I’ve completed a chapter, tired but relieved and usually happy- unless it’s a sad chapter.)

Why does not start writing a book?
Erika James started with fanfic and did "50 shades of grey" it's trash but she's now rich.

Edited by Dαrkrєrsŧ, 23 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

SK-303_image007.jpg

#59 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Ugh, don't compare me to her. She hasn't been writing fanfic even that long and Twilight was her inspiration. Seriously no.

Oh and I started out writing original works, short stories beginning way back when I was 8 years old. I wrote a one act play at 13. I wrote poetry in my teens and twenties (a few published in small unpaid publications) and started writing essays on various topics in my twenties (a few published in small unpaid publications). I wrote a novel from age 18-27 (in long hand in composition notebooks no less. Family members that read chapters of it praised it, but I never even typed it up. I likely have them in a box somewhere in the house, but have no desire to look at it again- certainly it's pure juvenilia, as were my childhood short stories and the play. The poetry I have more confidence in, epecially my first one- still have a fondness for that one. For some reason I lost the ability to write poetry in my twenties though- but I believe it still influences my prose. I also have confidence that my essays were decently written.

Edited by ciardha, 23 February 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#60 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Feb 23 2013, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh, don't compare me to her. She hasn't been writing fanfic even that long and Twilight was her inspiration. Seriously no.

Oh and I started out writing original works, short stories beginning way back when I was 8 years old. I wrote a one act play at 13. I wrote poetry in my teens and twenties (a few published in small unpaid publications) and started writing essays on various topics in my twenties (a few published in small unpaid publications). I wrote a novel from age 18-27 (in long hand in composition notebooks no less. Family members that read chapters of it praised it, but I never even typed it up. I likely have them in a box somewhere in the house, but have no desire to look at it again- certainly it's pure juvenilia, as were my childhood short stories and the play. The poetry I have more confidence in, epecially my first one- still have a fondness for that one. For some reason I lost the ability to write poetry in my twenties though- but I believe it still influences my prose.

I was not comparing just said that you could do it like her.

What you said is the same dilemma as i had when i wanted to develop games, i had a lot of ideas and started coding but then suddenly i had not the will to continue the work.
After some time i now understand what is it, it's not the ideas that make you to finish a game or a book it depends of the will of the person if she can finish the work or not, i think you have good ideas to write a book but i think you does not have the will to finish it.
Well now i'm finishing my game going to release it on July when i decided "now i'm going to finish this..."

Edited by Dαrkrєrsŧ, 23 February 2013 - 03:55 PM.

SK-303_image007.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users