Close
Photo

Interfaith Dialogue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your religion? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

if you don't want to vote,no prob

1. Christian (16 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

2. Muslim (4 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. Jewish (3 votes [6.52%])

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

4. Catholic (8 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

5. Buddhist (1 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

6. Hindu (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Others... (14 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

Vote

#81 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

It wasn't all funny, granted, but there were a few things in it that made me smirk/snicker. I thought of this thread as soon as he started talking about it, though.

#82 Nikko

Nikko

Lady Perv <3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:sewing, sleeping, drawing, tasty food, video games, manga/comic booking, anime, and music

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

I'm kinda glad to see this threads hasn't erupted into fire and brimstone.

It's normally very hard to have this discussion without someone going crazy that you don’t share their views and religion. When I was in culinary training we had one girl so insane when a joke was made about what came first, the chicken or the eggs. We had just unloaded the truck of our supplies, and eggs were the first thing off the truck. So being the dork I am, as carrying the case of eggs I jokes "Hey look, the egg really did come first!" One of my friends commented back that it was only because the chicken was still being inspected. Well apparently this girl went insane at any discussion of evolution and when I mean insane she was screaming at us. Her argument was "I didn't come from no kitten flinging monkey picking tics off someone else's *ss". And it was all down hill from there with profanity and just dumb stuff. We were all kind of taken back by this since no where in the joke of what came first the chicken or the egg did anyone mention evolution. Granted if you wanted to be nit-picky you could try and make that connection, but I’d say you too are reaching.

The whole problem with people that do that at any hint of someone mentioning evolution is that they are shut out science for their beliefs, and they you can’t fill in your GED scantron with “Bible never mention that”. I guess since I’ve always been a science nerd it kinds irks me when people refuses to even listed. Okay, so your belief doesn’t agree with that, then just pretend this class is about some weird sci-fi movie, because you need the credits to graduate, and after this you’ll hopefully never have to hear about it again.

Oh yeah, not counting today, THREE DAYS TILL HANNUKAH!!!

In the forums, ad blocking your signature.

#83 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

No, I didn't find that video funny at all.
QUOTE (Nikko @ Dec 18 2008, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm kinda glad to see this threads hasn't erupted into fire and brimstone.

It's normally very hard to have this discussion without someone going crazy that you don’t share their views and religion. When I was in culinary training we had one girl so insane when a joke was made about what came first, the chicken or the eggs. We had just unloaded the truck of our supplies, and eggs were the first thing off the truck. So being the dork I am, as carrying the case of eggs I jokes "Hey look, the egg really did come first!" One of my friends commented back that it was only because the chicken was still being inspected. Well apparently this girl went insane at any discussion of evolution and when I mean insane she was screaming at us. Her argument was "I didn't come from no kitten flinging monkey picking tics off someone else's *ss". And it was all down hill from there with profanity and just dumb stuff. We were all kind of taken back by this since no where in the joke of what came first the chicken or the egg did anyone mention evolution. Granted if you wanted to be nit-picky you could try and make that connection, but I’d say you too are reaching.

The whole problem with people that do that at any hint of someone mentioning evolution is that they are shut out science for their beliefs, and they you can’t fill in your GED scantron with “Bible never mention that”. I guess since I’ve always been a science nerd it kinds irks me when people refuses to even listed. Okay, so your belief doesn’t agree with that, then just pretend this class is about some weird sci-fi movie, because you need the credits to graduate, and after this you’ll hopefully never have to hear about it again.

Oh yeah, not counting today, THREE DAYS TILL HANNUKAH!!!

I have experienced that so many times, and most people are too ignorant to realize that scientist never stated that we came from monkeys.

#84 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

You guys clearly do not understand what Colbert is about. He is a parody of right-wing media pundits, and as such PRETENDS to s**t on anything liberal. Most of those views are not his own; he simply gives the "literal" meaning of what the guys he parodies say.

On the evolution note, just say that we came from apes, not monkeys, and that they ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

It just really irks me when such people deny science. This is why we have to import our best scientists from Asia.

#85 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Dec 18 2008, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have experienced that so many times, and most people are too ignorant to realize that scientist never stated that we came from monkeys.

So...enlighten us, what did they say?
A NaruSaku Manifesto - A presentation on the NaruSaku pairing using the manga.

#86 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Hockey, Drawing (even though I suck something awful), Photography, Video Games, etc.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Dec 18 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys clearly do not understand what Colbert is about. He is a parody of right-wing media pundits, and as such PRETENDS to s**t on anything liberal. Most of those views are not his own; he simply gives the "literal" meaning of what the guys he parodies say.

On the evolution note, just say that we came from apes, not monkeys, and that they ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

It just really irks me when such people deny science. This is why we have to import our best scientists from Asia.

Pertaining to the video, pretty much this. You have to understand Colbert's humor, his statements are pretty much satirizing the extreme right wing views of some people out there who ACTUALLY think this (Not trying to say, "Oh no, the video actually WAS very funny!" Just trying to enlighten on his style of humor). He's just making a joke, he doesn't actually mean the extreme views he presents. That's what makes him funny, in my opinion, and that video made me chuckle a bit.

QUOTE (MagusKyros @ Dec 18 2008, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So...enlighten us, what did they say?

The theory is not that we evolved from monkeys, but that humans and monkeys have a common ancestor down the line.

Edited by Zatren6, 18 December 2008 - 11:56 PM.

#87 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:19 AM

Well people. You're saying Oh My God when you are surprised enough to call your god in surprise. If you don't believe in god, then who are you calling out to? I couldn't watch the Colbert vid, coz I live in CANADA
. Don't Press the red button

#88 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (Auni @ Dec 18 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well people. You're saying Oh My God when you are surprised enough to call your god in surprise. If you don't believe in god, then who are you calling out to? I couldn't watch the Colbert vid, coz I live in CANADA

Are you selectively illiterate? Three of us stated it's a meaningless saying, not everything in the world is literal.

#89 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Zatren6 @ Dec 19 2008, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The theory is not that we evolved from monkeys, but that humans and monkeys have a common ancestor down the line.

Oh, well that's kind of an ironic answer XD

@Kyuudaime - Some things you may get away with saying in another thread might not really be a good idea in this thread. You could have easily pointed out what you said before without adding anything useless.

Edited by MagusKyros, 19 December 2008 - 02:22 AM.

#90 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

We came from primates similar to monkeys.
@MagusKyros: http://www.narusaku....opic=7961&st=60
How is that in another thread? It's the fourth page of this thread. I fail to see what I added that was useless.

Edited by Kyuudaime, 19 December 2008 - 02:34 AM.

#91 MelisaArtemis

MelisaArtemis

*Meow*

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:my boyfriend,Narusaku,Ragnarok, Narusaku, Digimon 03, Narusaku fics, Games. have I mention Narusaku?

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (Auni @ Dec 19 2008, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I can give the question back to you. Why religious people dare to say, "Holy Sh8t"? they knoe that sh8t can't be holy, why they put them at the same sentence? don't they ever thing that its an insult to the God or any deities that they are worshipping?

Please, unless you're trying to piss off people, think before you post.

Edited by MelisaArtemis, 19 December 2008 - 03:42 AM.

#92 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Dec 19 2008, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We came from primates similar to monkeys.
@MagusKyros: http://www.narusaku....opic=7961&st=60
How is that in another thread? It's the fourth page of this thread. I fail to see what I added that was useless.

Not that, I'm talking about the first half of your statement. You could make do without calling someone selectively illiterate. Especially considering the nature of this thread.

#93 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Hockey, Drawing (even though I suck something awful), Photography, Video Games, etc.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:53 AM

Yeah, Auni, the expression is used not because we're calling out to someone, its just a common expression used to express suprise or amazement. I don't say it for it to be taken literally myself. To me, its just an expression. Like Lisa said, the same question could be reworked to oppose the other side.

I also agree with Magus, calling people things like that, even though it might not be related to the subject matter, is what raises tension in this kind of thread, and is often an instigator for it later being closed. One thing turns into another, and no one wants anything to go too far, especially when we're discussing a touchy subject matter...

#94 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:59 AM

Cows create holy **** smile.gif

They're used as fertilizer, and if you turn them into patties and then burned, they can act as an insect repellent, and cow dung is also anti-septic. That's right, you heard it here folks, burning the air with cow dung cleans the atmosphere around it. There are other uses of course, but I'd rather not get into them happy.gif

#95 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

I was asking a simple yes or no question, no need to feel aggression from it, as a relative of mine has selective memory.
But, I apologize if I offended you in some way Auni, no harm wink.gif

#96 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (MagusKyros @ Dec 18 2008, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cows create holy **** smile.gif

They're used as fertilizer, and if you turn them into patties and then burned, they can act as an insect repellent, and cow dung is also anti-septic. That's right, you heard it here folks, burning the air with cow dung cleans the atmosphere around it. There are other uses of course, but I'd rather not get into them happy.gif

I've never heard of that before XD

The more you know...

Edited by Zatren6, 23 December 2008 - 09:07 PM.

#97 Dormin

Dormin

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

Faith is a refrashing thing happy.gif why live a dull life where your biggest expectation is just to die when expecting you can believe in God, pixies, magic, ghosts, spiderman, pokemon, that Joker killed Heath (YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!) or whatever else you like to believe?

Hack sometime ago it was common knowledge that the world is flat, and look how they turned out! SUCKERS!

So whatever if you don't believe in god, believe somthing else wacky! so when it does happen you can laugh your arse off the non-believers!

Made by Vongola10th

"Someone shoot me..." - Kyon, cheerful as always

#98 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Dormin @ Dec 23 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Faith is a refrashing thing happy.gif why live a dull life where your biggest expectation is just to die when expecting you can believe in God, pixies, magic, ghosts, spiderman, pokemon, that Joker killed Heath (YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!) or whatever else you like to believe?

Hack sometime ago it was common knowledge that the world is flat, and look how they turned out! SUCKERS!

So whatever if you don't believe in god, believe somthing else wacky! so when it does happen you can laugh your arse off the non-believers!

Lol, well this isn't really believing in something wacky, but I always thought it was weird how I don't really believe in a higher being, but I'm extremely superstitious in sports. I always think "Well this is weird and completely irrational...but if I don't do it something bad will happen!"

#99 emilykawaii123

emilykawaii123

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Theater, Dance, The Twilight Series, all things Japanese

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

Yeaaa.... Thats why I prefer Jon Stewart. I did find a few quips asmusing, purely because I make fun of everyone, not just the 3 most popular religions. I do think ther is a fine line between making fun and slander, though, a line he was just beginning to toe. The "heathen" type jokes pointed at other faiths or non-faiths are getting old now. America is starting to go independant. I do think that if you can laugh at others, you should be able to take a joke and laugh at yourself as well, something that some (not all, but some) Christians have difficulty with. And this is coming from a Catholic school student (though I'm not Catholic) laugh.gif I don't believe in blindly following something just because it's part of your enviroment. Your faith should truly match your feelings amd be your own choice.

Hey, at least Buddism has some representation XD I'm the only Novus Spiritus XD

#100 Destiny

Destiny

Queen of the hard hitters!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Dec 15 2008, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. The meditations are nearly the only thing that work for my high blood pressure. I've gone into high bad cholesterol. Again.

I'll probably visit a Buddhist temple for some meditation. happy.gif

Have you ever been to a temple? And are you a vegitarian? (It would help with the cholesterol problem. Not saying Buddhists have to be vegetarians.)

Edited by Destiny, 27 December 2008 - 05:30 PM.

Love is everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users