• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Has someone heard talking of this anime over here? It used to be very popular in American fandom.

What does it offer? Blade Runner-style sci-fi. Beautiful, strong-willed and self-reliant female protagonists. Cool mecha. Frenetic, beautifully animated action sequences. Heavy drama. And AWESOME music!

Seriously, check this: There's A Hurricane Tonight

"Okay, but what it is about -other than a sci-fi anime influenced by Blade Runner-?"

From TVTropes (because I think that the article is clearer that in Wikipedia):

In the early 2030s, the world economy (and some of its politics) is controlled by the megacorporation GENOM, whose primary product is the boomer — humanoid robots that can be manufactured for any purpose from cheap labor to prostitution to heavy combat. Opposing GENOM and its plots are the Knight Sabers — four women in astoundingly advanced powered combat suits, led by Sylia Stingray, the daughter of the scientist who invented boomer technology and who was murdered by GENOM's agents when they stole it.

I think that it is awesome (and I love Priss Asagiri -the main character-. She is great). I recommend giving it a chance. Moreover, the first series is eight-episodes-long, so you will not have to go through dozens of chapters to find out whether you like or not.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#2 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

lmao. I thought you were talking about Bubblegum from Adventure time and I was going to say something like "Bubbline is canon!!!" but then this happened.

Bye.

dumbo-pink-elephants-on-parade1.gif?w=50

queen-harley.tumblr.com

#3 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

Well, you can stay if you want (and it is nice seeing another Asuka fan). Maybe you find something you like.

For example, check these songs:

Kodoku no Angel

Mr. Dandy

Soldier of Roses

Mad Machine

Say Yes!

Edit: Several days ago I and a friend of mine were talking about this series. He told me that he showed it to his girlfriend... and even though she is not an anime fan, she loved it! She was younger than him and had never heard of it, so people who is younger and are not nostalgic towards this show or that era may also like it.

Edited by Jenskott, 15 January 2015 - 10:08 AM.

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#4 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

0: that anime looks very old. I don't like mecha but I've seen Evangelion and Code Geass. Those are my exceptions.

How old are you?

dumbo-pink-elephants-on-parade1.gif?w=50

queen-harley.tumblr.com

#5 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:18 AM

So what if it is old? If something is good, it is good, regardless when it was done. If you do not want to try something on grounds of it being old, then I sincerely think that you are mssing out.

You have just said that you like Evangelion. Well, Evangelion it is twenty-years-old now. It is older than the younger members of this board. If someone told you "I have never watched Evangelion. It seems old" you would not answer "It is great, not matter when it was done. If you do not watch it because it is too old then you are missing a good show that you would possibly like"?

Bubblegum Crisis is a classic, right like the shows that you cited.

Anyway, a lot of sequels and spin-offs were released after the first series. The last of them was done in 2003, so...

Of course, if you do not like the genre (although you have told yourself that you like SOME series of the genre) it is a strike against it. However let me correct you about something: it is a mecha show, but not a HUMONGOUS mecha show. You will not find something bigger than sci-fi bikes and cyber-suits. And although it is an action show it is very focused on drama and relationships between characters.

(And the lead characters are ALL strong women. That is something that it has over Naruto  :lmao: ).

I do not see how or why my age is relevant, but I am thirty-four. Back in the 00's I hardly found series that appealed me so I started to check classic series that I had never read/watched earlier (so that nostalgia is NOT a factor), including shows that were older than me. I found rubbish series, of course, but I also found many manga and anime series that I absolutely loved. If I had told myself "It is old so it must be bad/inferior/a waste of my time", I would have never read/watched them.

It is because that I said that people is missing out if they disregard a series on grounds of it being "old". I am speaking from experience.

#6 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

You know I think I've seen this series over at Netflix. Maybe I will give it a shot I love lead female characters especially when they're strong. Hey Jenskott speaking of school anime have you seen Project A-ko? A-ko to this day remains my all time favorite heroine.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#7 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

Of course I have watched Project A-ko!  :lol:  It was the late nineties and I was still in high-school when I purchased the tape. I had previously read an article about it and watched a trailer featuring the scene where A-ko used missiles and war planes as stepping stones to reach the alien mothership and I told myself "Man, this series HAS to be crazy".

I hope that you like Bubblegum Crisis if you give it a shot. And trust me, Priss is tough like nails. She would have NEVER taken Sasuke's garbage, not even for one second.

You knows, it is funny. Often anime fans criticize the women's rol in yesteryear anime, simultaneously presuming that modern shows has no that trouble (even though they DO), but... when I think about it, anime in the Eighties and Nineties (and to a lesser extent in the Seventies. In that decade anime had its first tsundere leads, and the -possibly- first black woman who was a co-protagonist and a love interest: Jun Honoo) were packed with strong-willed and competent female characters. Of course, there also were female characters that were useless or a load during a fight or a damsel in distress... but that also happens now.

And definitely I do not remember any female character from those decades that got so butchered by her creators like Sakura did (although Asuka Langley Sohryu comes near. And after watching several shows of the creator of Gundam -Yoshiyuki Tomino- I am convinced that Tomino knows nothing about women).

#8 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:25 PM

I've seen most of the series, bubblegum crisis 2040. And I enjoyed it fairly well.

I believe it is on www.watchcartoononline.com if anyone watchs to check it out before buying/delving deep into it
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#9 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

I've seen most of the series, bubblegum crisis 2040. And I enjoyed it fairly well.

I believe it is on www.watchcartoononline.com if anyone watchs to check it out before buying/delving deep into it 

Glad of meeting another fan! May I ask what your favorite moment was?

I also enjoyed it. Then again, I like a good sci-fi history.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have the feeling of the number of sci-fi series in manga and anime has been declining for a long time. I wonder why...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bubblegum crisis, sci-fi, anime

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users